• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Psykodad

Banned
Having played more, the combat clicked and it's really something else.
The way the parry, dodge and combos blend is outstanding.
Major step up from Infamous. Although, I'm still not sold on the camera.

Gameplay-wise, as well as story, GOT beats TLOU2 easily.
This'll be my GOTY-contender along with FFVIIR.

Peroroncino

Well it can be, if you do it when other NPC's are not around.

But yeah, I perfectly understand what your saying.

The way the game handles stealth non-grabbing takedowns is usually throw arrow shots and silenced pistol. I have no problem with that to be honest.

Oh me too, I'm just being facetious since that cryboy likes to criticize other games using imaginary drawbacks that in some cases are even worse in his beloved tlou2. :)

Like stealth takedowns for example.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think the camera is a deal breaker for me :(

everything else literally sounds awesome but I absolutely can’t stand that 1990s roaming camera bullshit.

Reactions: 888

tassletine

I think there's too many ways to defeat the enemy in Ghost which results in the combat being too easy even on hard mode. In Sekiro, you only have combat arts, your katana and the trick weapons. You have wayyyy more shit in Ghost and while options are good, it just makes the game too easy. Parrying is Sekiro is way more satisfying than the defensive manoeuvres in Ghost. Boss fights in Sekiro are obviously on another level. Respect your opinion 👍. Game is phenomenal and I love it.
Kind of... I 'm not finding it easy though. Having said that I always play without using extra weapons etc. on every game, just because I like a basic challenge. I only use specials when I get stuck. -- so it's almost impossible to compare out play experiences.
For instance I would fight a large group of enemies purely by pulling back and singling them out individually -- only resorting to arrows when I'm low on health. I always aim for no loss of life, not just getting through.

Rikoi

everything else literally sounds awesome but I absolutely can’t stand that 1990s roaming camera bullshit.
I don't understand the issue with the camera to be honest, you can't have a target lock in this game.
They will attack you from different sides, you can parry and retaliate on different sides, and a target lock would easily kill you. You are not aiming at a single target, you are aiming in a direction to strike.

WellSheet

But I want to like it :(

someone convince me

I’m maybe 7-8 hours In and playing on hard. Im on of those stereotypes: taking a lot of time just exploring and getting lost. So, I’ve had a lot of
Time with the combat/camera already.

My feelings on the camera is it’s part of how you “dance” in combat. A lot of times you can square off against a few enemies and never mover the camera and it works out...other times you do have to manage it a bit. While it can feel “old” it’s actually not that cumbersome; it’s literally a fraction of a seconds adjustment.

Plus having the camera speed set to “fast” really helps that - which even on the fast setting it’s still quite manageable and relatively slower.

I wouldn’t pass out on a the game just because of this. Yes you have to manage sometimes, but truly with the way combat flows and once you get into the “dance” of it, it’ll be no sweat truly.

In the short time I’ve had with Ghost, it’s the best overall game experience I’ve had since Control last year, which Control was one of my 5 games of the generation. I’m a nobody internet commentator on Gaf but I swear you’ll be happy you pulled the trigger

alstrike

I like how the game tells you as you pick up enough resources what you can upgrade, and places also turn gold on the map. Nice QoL inclusions.

Also the load times for fast travel is absurd. I’m so used to picking up my phone to browse while I wait thirty+ seconds. It’s not even worth picking it up now.

You should see the fast travel with an SSD, I barely have time to read the first tip that comes on screen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
20+ hours into Ghost of Tsushima. Great game overall thus far but the camera is bad especially during combat and not having a lock on system doesn't help. It won't make me quit the game but it has aggravated me several times. The issue is that the camera is never directed towards your enemies, it's more of a side camera that you need to rotate yourself but the problem is that you then need to take your thumb off the face buttons which is how you attack, dodge and roll to do so.

Camera when walking is fine. Camera when riding the horse is fine but when you start galloping, the camera zooms in which im not a fan of. Even worse is when you're crouched and trying to do stealth. The camera zooms in right behind you which limits your field of view. It's definitely a pain in the ass.

I have the camera speed set to slow which is fine. It's perfect in general but when aiming the bow, the rotational for some reason becomes even slower which makes no sense and this was before I upgraded it to use that slowdown feature ala Horizon and Days Gone.

At this point, im just so tired of developers wanting to move the camera up my character's ass. It's fucking ridiculous. There definitely needs to be a field of view option come next gen for every first and third person game so you can set it up the way you want it.

Not a fan of the "vision" crap that seems to be in every mother fucking game. Seriously, developers need to get rid of this shit or at the very least, give users an on/off option. Literally hate this gameplay element. Always have and always will.

The wind, fox and bird aspects are just meh. It's fucking tedious and boring. I get what Sucker Punch was trying to do but just give me a fucking waypoint. UGH.

Everything else is top notch. The visuals are a 10/10. The audio is great. Music is excellent as is the sound effects and the voice acting is good as well. Story and characters are great thus far. Really enjoying all of it and loving that the side quests are story lines as opposed to being one and done.

Overall, it's going to come down to how the story and characters all play out but as of right now, my tentative ratings are -

Visuals - 10/10
Audio - 9/10
Gameplay - 8/10

Story and characters as well as optional side content is a wait and see until I finish the game but thus far, Tsushima is looking like a 9/10 overall which would make it my highest rated game of 2020 for thus far and with this generation ending with my next two games, it will probably be the only 9/10 game this year for this generation.

T-Square

Lol well obviously it was released this past Friday. but the game itself feels and looks very 2016 ish.
probably their engine. clearly something they rely on for all their games, but it really culminates into something great here imo

Last edited:
Yeah this game is so fun to play, it's a dream to play a legit samurai game. Loving the combat, I do wish hard mode was actually hard, but still this game is legit. Visuals, Story, voice acting (Playing with subtitles) it's a blast.

Ar¢tos

The last open world game I played was Kingdoms of Amalur for ps3 in January, so playing an open world game now is more of a change than anything else, no open world fatigue here. On the other hand, the scope and amount of things to do are overwhelming. I'm glad there are no trackers or I would have quit by now (the main reason I don't touch AC games). The wind guide is not very invasive and the birds/foxes are a nice different way to show side content, and much easier to ignore than a big map marker.
I'm really digging the combat, parrying is SOOOO much easier than in Dark Souls. I just hate the fucking archers! Annoying little cowards that run away when you go after them.
I wasn't expecting the island to be so big.

Peroroncino

This has got to be the most beautiful game I've ever played in recent years. Even if it's not the "best" graphically (that would still be RDR2 on PC for me), as a whole, it's simply astonishing and with no competition in my opinion. My share button is getting hammered every 5 minutes. Each scenery just proudly POPS at you.

EdTZRtdXsAAyBlC

Combat is really good once you get the timing of it and learn enemy attack patterns. It's not easy by any stretch but not extremely hard either with some crazy spike in difficulty or punishes. Really enjoy it.

The animation drama.... lol what a load of bull that was. Even I fell into it a little bit. In motion the animation is great - not TLOU/ND quality but there is only one Naughty Dog.

Visual masterpiece. A textbook class in art design - direction. That engine is a major flex on 1.84 Tflps. This thing puts everything I've seen coming out for next gen to shame except Horizon II Forbidden West. That's how good it's.

Story is solid - the premise. Dialogue however could improve (the script). Voice actors are doing a solid job with it and making it punch above its weight.

The game is big. Probably gonna take me 4-5 days to complete it.

The biggest letdown of this game is by far the camera. How did they develop this game for 4 years and still decide that this camera was OK to ship with? It's not just a minor gripe, it's a big gripe, letting down what's an otherwise great combat system, and exploration too as you wrestle with the camera. It makes the experience cumbersome where it shouldn't. You have examples like Ni-Oh, God of War, Sekiro etc... there is no excuse. Not even in Batman Arkham games do you have this problem (Spider-man to a lesser degree does however). A failure here of big magnitude for whomever came up with it, and whomever supervised it and gave the OK. If QA wasn't bitching about it, have a second look at that lead QA too. Not saying these people should be fired or anything like that but they dropped the ball here big time and it's a glaring eye-sore. Just can't understand how it was Ok'd.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The only tool I’m never using are the wind chimes and firecrackers (at least so far). It’s SO FUN utilizing a combination of attacks during a fight and not just relying on the sword the entire time. I fucking love those sticky bombs.

Max out your chain assassinations and then drop a smoke bomb amongst a bunch of dudes 🤤

tassletine

Combat is really good once you get the timing of it and learn enemy attack patterns. It's not easy by any stretch but not extremely hard either with some crazy spike in difficulty or punishes. Really enjoy it.

The animation drama.... lol what a load of bull that was. Even I fell into it a little bit. In motion the animation is great - not TLOU/ND quality but there is only one Naughty Dog.

Visual masterpiece. A textbook class in art design - direction. That engine is a major flex on 1.84 Tflps. This thing puts everything I've seen coming out for next gen to shame except Horizon II Forbidden West. That's how good it's.

Story is solid - the premise. Dialogue however could improve (the script). Voice actors are doing a solid job with it and making it punch above its weight.

The game is big. Probably gonna take me 4-5 days to complete it.

The biggest letdown of this game is by far the camera. How did they develop this game for 4 years and still decide that this camera was OK to ship with? It's not just a minor gripe, it's a big gripe, letting down what's an otherwise great combat system, and exploration too as you wrestle with the camera. It makes the experience cumbersome where it shouldn't. You have examples like Ni-Oh, God of War, Sekiro etc... there is no excuse. Not even in Batman Arkham games do you have this problem (Spider-man to a lesser degree does however). A failure here of big magnitude for whomever came up with it, and whomever supervised it and gave the OK. If QA wasn't bitching about it, have a second look at that lead QA too. Not saying these people should be fired or anything like that but they dropped the ball here big time and it's a glaring eye-sore. Just can't understand how it was Ok'd.
I think by now we should all just accept that cameras are part of the gameplay, like a twin stick shooter. Personally I love that sort of thing as it adds to the challenge. Makes you pay more attention to your surroundings. Instead of a arrow coming at you it's a tree!! Also saying that any From game has a good camera in comparison is very odd. Embrace it!

I don't know about anyone else but the game has such a beautiful, serene quality to it. I especially love the haiku. Simple, but effective use of grounding you in the gameworld. Absolutely breathtaking scenes. Combat is excellent, especially in the big duels. It feels a bit like Kengo to me, extrapolated.

Agreed that the only issue here is the camera, it can be a real problem, though it does add to the difficulty. But this is one of the best PS4 exclusives I've played, probably second only to Bloodborne. Last night's playing session sealed it for me. The exploration has taps into the same feelings I got when playing BOTW.

Last edited:

Keihart

Talking about cameras in action games, the fucking camera in DMCV it's amazing, isn't it? That camera zooms in and out like nothing and almost never get's stuck on environments.

JimiNutz

Banned

It's easy enough to move the camera during combat and you quickly get used to there not being lock on.

I hate shitty camera bullshit as well but it's easy enough to manage in this game. I don't remember the camera in Sekiro being any better and that game had lock on...

Rikoi

The Komatsu Forge is FULL of resources which you can loot for upgrades.
You will find TWO yellow birds here, one will lead to bamboos to slice, and another one which made me crazy making me following it back and forth for half an hour.
Don't waste time on this, it looks like it's tied to some main story stuff.

Darak

Finished the main story and most of the secondary ones after about 20 hours or so (I ignored about half of the open world content or more, though). The game really needs a harder difficulty mode, or at least an option to play with less checkpoints. It leans to the easy side even in hard mode, and dying is essentially inconsequential for most of the game except for a small number of missions.

The game is definitively more than the sum of its parts. Every area of the game has a lot of room for improvement (camera issues, stiff cutscenes, lenient checkpoints, low-res textures, excessive enemy tracking, etc), but at the end of the day none of those flaws is game-breaking and the final package is a lot of fun. I'd rate this higher than any recent Assassin's Creed (which I also like) and I wish the AC series would have evolved in a similar way instead of adding RPG elements and level gates.

Side-note: Anyone doubting instant fast travel on PS5 after playing this game is nuts. But then again the usual suspects are not playing this game.

This engine is best in class in many respects.

Also saying that any From game has a good camera in comparison is very odd. Embrace it!

It's not that they're all good but that those implementations are better and preferable to what we have here.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Appreciate the responses all..

It's easy enough to move the camera during combat and you quickly get used to there not being lock on.

I hate shitty camera bullshit as well but it's easy enough to manage in this game. I don't remember the camera in Sekiro being any better and that game had lock on...

Awesome; wanted to hear from people who tend to dislike roaming cameras as well.

HotPocket69

Banned
Balls deep in Act 2. Ok now I’m wishing I could craft on the fly

The Ronins can fuck you up so fiercely. Sticky bombs and fire arrows are a must. Same with smoke bombs.They are THE gadget enemy

But I’m glad there’s no crafting on the fly ☺️

DavidGzz

I think that a lot of the complaints on the camera would have been less of an issue if this had Sekiro controls. I don't want lock on because I like being able to switch targets on the fly but I also don't like not being able to attack when trying to keep my enemy in view.

Edit: I forgot you could do this in accessibility options on the dashboard. I can now attack with the shoulder buttons! Take that SP, this is another Souls-like now. Bonus I press triangle to get on my horse now. Bonus number two, instead of opening doors I accidentally cut them open now since R2 is heavy attack..

Last edited:

Mossybrew

The only tool I’m never using are the wind chimes and firecrackers (at least so far). It’s SO FUN utilizing a combination of attacks during a fight and not just relying on the sword the entire time. I fucking love those sticky bombs.

Max out your chain assassinations and then drop a smoke bomb amongst a bunch of dudes 🤤

Absolutely. After a few hours you have a lot of tools at your disposal, it makes combat a lot of fun and you really feel like a badass.

JimiNutz

Banned
Not sure if I'm just tired but I've been stuck on a duel early on in Act 2 for fucking ages now :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I think it's just a side duel as well as I followed one or those yellow birds to find it. Fucking yellow bird lead me to my doom.

I refused to quit the duel in shame despite the game now offering me the option to abandon the duel every time I die :messenger_pensive:

Edit: Got it done 10 mins later. Dunno why I found that so difficult.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

The wind, fox and bird aspects are just meh. It's fucking tedious and boring. I get what Sucker Punch was trying to do but just give me a fucking waypoint. UGH.
I don't understand the complaints of the wind at all. It's unobtrusive (you don't need to continually swipe up, just set a destination on your map), subtly adds to the aesthetic, and is functional. It's a mechanic that accomplishes multiple things at once without being in your face. Why would you want an ugly, artificial waypoint marker floating in the midst of such a gorgeous game? The HUD-less nature of this is one of its most appealing aspects.

I feel like most of the complaints towards the wind are from those who've been so hammered by years and years of the same old waypoint systems that they cannot imagine anything else. The wind is brilliant, and I'm ecstatic SP decided on such a course. My only disappointment with it is knowing it won't be followed and we'll be back to the same navigational bullshit we've had for years in future games.

Last edited:
Put this game on hard and i'm only on the 3rd mission and getting my ass handed to me when battling large groups. 2 hits (sometimes 1) and i'm dead.

The combat makes one feel like a total badass when you get it right, so goddamn satisfying.

When you switch between the water stance mid-fight and dispatch a shield enemy in 3 strikes after a perfect parry...

giphy.webp

Last edited:
I don't understand the complaints of the wind at all. It's unobtrusive (you don't need to continually swipe up, just set a destination on your map), subtlety adds to the aesthetic, and is functional. It's a mechanic that accomplishes multiple things at once without being in your face. Why would you want an ugly, artificial waypoint marker floating in the midst of such a gorgeous game? The HUD-less nature of this is one of its most appealing aspects.

I feel like most of the complaints towards the wind are from those who've been so hammered by years and years of the same old waypoint systems that they cannot imagine anything else. The wind is brilliant, and I'm ecstatic SP decided on such a course. My only disappointment with it is knowing it won't be followed and we'll be back to the same navigational bullshit we've had for years in future games.
I don't get it either mate.

I'm one of those stubborn one's who prefers a waypoint marker but starting this game off i can see the developer's intentions here. In no way did the wind mechanic bother me at all.
It's a refreshing change that foxes and birds guide you to points of interest.

This game is too beautiful and atmospheric for it be ruined by guiders and markers all over the screen. I hope future games on next gen follow the examples of Ghost.

Top Bottom