• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

JimiNutz

Banned
I think I'm only about half way through now as I'm really taking my time soaking up the atmosphere and thoroughly exploring the world without trying to use the map but I can safely already say that I love the game enough to want to play it again on PS5.

Hopefully they give the game a substantial PS5 update at some point down the line and also add a new game+ mode and higher difficulty option.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I walk and trot everywhere in GoT because I like to role play and take in the environments very slowly. That's a large part of the appeal of these games for me.....immersing myself in the world and discovering content, not just doing it. I don't want question marks or markers on the map until I've discovered it of my own volition. I don't want to know where "points of interest" are. Where's the fun in that?

Not looking to start an argument or shit on your opinion, but GoT has all those things you don't want.

It has question marks all over the map & you will be opening the map constantly if you use the Guiding Wind. It has quest marks on screen a lot of the time, breaking the point of the immersion of the Guiding Wind, in my opinion. It takes you by the hand & leads you straight to points of interest, with the birds & foxes.

I get what you're saying about immersion & I actually feel the same. I love to roleplay, take my time & walk everywhere in these games too! I would argue that GoT is more of a small step in the right direction, rather than a genuine leap forward. Underneath it's little quirks, like the Guiding Wind, it basically is just another Ubisoft style open world checklist.

This game is better than The Witcher 3.

Bold words. I don't think so. For me, GoT combat feels superior. I think most people would agree, but The Witcher does have more combat options so it could be argued. They are both very pretty games. I'd say Witcher 3 is better in every other way, so it wins overall.

Elog

Love the game so far. Quests and voice acting is on a completely different level - for me this game beats the previous king of quest lines and narratives in W3 and with much better combat to boot. Plan to start a play through on hard with one life - love challenges like that!

Might be my GotY.

PanzerAzel

This game is better than The Witcher 3.
Yes. People keep taking about "jank" in this, Witcher 3 is what is jank. I can't go back and play it today it's so bad.
Not looking to start an argument or shit on your opinion, but GoT has all those things you don't want.

It has question marks all over the map & you will be opening the map constantly if you use the Guiding Wind. It has quest marks on screen a lot of the time, breaking the point of the immersion of the Guiding Wind, in my opinion. It takes you by the hand & leads you straight to points of interest, with the birds & foxes.

I get what you're saying about immersion & I actually feel the same. I love to roleplay, take my time & walk everywhere in these games too! I would argue that GoT is more of a small step in the right direction, rather than a genuine leap forward. Underneath it's little quirks, like the Guiding Wind, it basically is just another Ubisoft style open world checklist.
I know, I'm not arguing GoT does these things I'm looking for (I admitted it falls into the same formula as Ubi games under the wind mechanic), just in a general ideal of what I want out of the genre.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes. People keep taking about "jank" in this, Witcher 3 is what is jank. I can't go back and play it today it's so bad.

The Witcher 3 excelled at presenting a living world with meaningful quests and side characters. The combat system however was its weakest point. Fighting anything was never fun or engaging. No one playing The Witcher 3 would ever wander through that vast world just looking for enemies because the combat mechanics were so much fun. That's what makes GoT so good. It's a complete package, from the world building, the story, the quests, the combat system, the music and animation, the collectables, etc etc. It's beaitiful, it's engaging, it's fun.

GotY material.

Shrap

Question regarding the subtitles - are they for the English audio even when you select Japanese? They don't seem to match up with a lot of what the characters are actually saying, though they capture the general gist.

GreyHorace

The Witcher 3 excelled at presenting a living world with meaningful quests and side characters. The combat system however was its weakest point. Fighting anything was never fun or engaging. No one playing The Witcher 3 would ever wander through that vast world just looking for enemies because the combat mechanics were so much fun. That's what makes GoT so good. It's a complete package, from the world building, the story, the quests, the combat system, the music and animation, the collectables, etc etc. It's beaitiful, it's engaging, it's fun.

GotY material.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The Witcher 3 made it's bread through it's excellent sidequests and incredible supporting cast of characters, but it's gameplay was never a highlight for me. I didn't think it was that bad, but compared to GoT's excellent melee combat it falls short. It's the one blemish on it's otherwise exemplary whole.

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand, has surprised me with it's sidequests. The small tasks you do for the inhabitants of the island are actually quite fun if a bit lacking in cinematic presentation. The companion missions on the other hand are A-class material (particularly those involving Lady Masako), and those Mythic quests are fucking EPIC. Are they better than what CDProjektRed did with The Witcher 3? That's up for debate but I thought Sucker Punch did an outstanding job with designing these side quests and I'm only at Act 1 and they already blew me away. I can't wait to see what Act 2 has in store.

You know you got good sidequests when players decide to complete them first because you want to see how those stories unfold and reach conclusion. Got hooked with Masako's and have been following her around the map... which, along the way, opens up exploration for the other aspects of the game as you ride from quest point to quest point. The game is really good at this.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Question regarding the subtitles - are they for the English audio even when you select Japanese? They don't seem to match up with a lot of what the characters are actually saying, though they capture the general gist.
Correct, the EN subs are matched with the EN voiceacting. I too noticed some differences to the the JP voiceacting, but as long as the story makes sense i am not bothered by it too much.

GreyHorace

You know you got good sidequests when players decide to complete them first because you want to see how those stories unfold and reach conclusion. Got hooked with Masako's and have been following her around the map... which, along the way, opens up exploration for the other aspects of the game as you ride from quest point to quest point. The game is really good at this.

I did the same thing with The Witcher 3. I didn't bother with the main quests because I was too busy with the side stuff which as well know, was fantastic.

cormack12

Gold Member
Unfortunately I have to agree. The Witcher 3 made it's bread through it's excellent sidequests and incredible supporting cast of characters, but it's gameplay was never a highlight for me. I didn't think it was that bad, but compared to GoT's excellent melee combat it falls short. It's the one blemish on it's otherwise exemplary whole.

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand, has surprised me with it's sidequests. The small tasks you do for the inhabitants of the island are actually quite fun if a bit lacking in cinematic presentation. The companion missions on the other hand are A-class material (particularly those involving Lady Masako), and those Mythic quests are fucking EPIC. Are they better than what CDProjektRed did with The Witcher 3? That's up for debate but I thought Sucker Punch did an outstanding job with designing these side quests and I'm only at Act 1 and they already blew me away. I can't wait to see what Act 2 has in store.

Honestly, I much prefer them to the drawn out ones in AC:Odyssey etc. This is side quests done right. Quick pitch, I'm hungry and bandits stole my rice, they are up the road, will you help? That's all I need, literally. Not 3 minute justification/exposition. The deeper stories feel bigger and more special then. You feel like they are genuine small distractions that you could facilitate instead of suddenly leaving your main purpose to go and run errands across six regions instead. Everything is well paced and respects the others priority.

Also I think the lack of level numbers really helps, as well as how well SP have managed all the quest points. You can pretty much drop and pick up quests as you want, and just do things you feel like with no pressure or gating. I think the design of the game is a real triumph.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I came by a totally unmarked quest when investigating the beach where the opening battle took place. Go check that out.

GreyHorace

Honestly, I much prefer them to the drawn out ones in AC:Odyssey etc. This is side quests done right. Quick pitch, I'm hungry and bandits stole my rice, they are up the road, will you help? That's all I need, literally. Not 3 minute justification/exposition. The deeper stories feel bigger and more special then. You feel like they are genuine small distractions that you could facilitate instead of suddenly leaving your main purpose to go and run errands across six regions instead. Everything is well paced and respects the others priority.

Really? The side stuff in AC:Odyssey were that bad? I haven't played an AssCreed game since Black Flag so I can't judge. And I was curious about the upcoming AC:Valhalla.

nowhat

Really? The side stuff in AC:Odyssey were that bad? I haven't played an AssCreed game since Black Flag so I can't judge. And I was curious about the upcoming AC:Valhalla.
They're just all so samey. But they're pretty much mandatory, because the main quests (or the whole game even) is really hard level-capped - if you're over two levels below a given quest (depending on your skill and difficulty, naturally), you can pretty much forget about it. So the process becomes *grind grind grind* *yay a main story quest* *grind grind grind*. I haven't completed the game because of this and I doubt I ever will.

(and of course Ubisoft will happily sell you a permanent XP booster so you don't have to play their game as much to finish it)

GreyHorace

They're just all so samey. But they're pretty much mandatory, because the main quests (or the whole game even) is really hard level-capped - if you're over two levels below a given quest (depending on your skill and difficulty, naturally), you can pretty much forget about it. So the process becomes *grind grind grind* *yay a main story quest* *grind grind grind*. I haven't completed the game because of this and I doubt I ever will.

(and of course Ubisoft will happily sell you a permanent XP booster so you don't have to play their game as much to finish it)

Well that sucks. And here I thought Odyssey was getting much praise for being one of the better entries in the AssCreed series. Maybe they'll do better with Valhalla but knowing Ubisoft, I doubt it.

Which makes Ghost's side stuff even more impressive since they don't feel like an exercise in tedium and are actually pretty engaging.

nowhat

And here I thought Odyssey was getting much praise for being one of the better entries in the AssCreed series.
Well, for one thing, the game is huge, no denying it. To some this may be a selling point (not to me though). And there are many more RPG-like elements (not just with character levels and skill trees, but new gear you acquire that quickly becomes obsolete). Also a branching story, at least up to a certain extent; but I really cannot say if your decisions change anything fundamental as I never got that far into the game.

I suppose it boils down to whether you enjoy the basic gameplay loop, which doesn't quite work for me, I prefer the more classical AC style. Here there's much more focus on combat, and the fact that you can climb pretty much anything and everything without any penalty really takes the fun/challenge out of traversal. We really need to get game demos back - it would be pretty easy for anyone to see if they enjoy the content from just thirty minutes of basic gameplay.

HotPocket69

Banned
Odyssey was a great podcast game. It was such completely mindless bullshit. I said it before, but I have never skipped so much dialogue in a game. It was like audible Ambien.

Valhalla will be no different. Just a new coat of paint.

cormack12

Gold Member
Odyssey was a great podcast game. It was such completely mindless bullshit. I said it before, but I have never skipped so much dialogue in a game. It was like audible Ambien.

Valhalla will be no different. Just a new coat of paint.

That's just it, there was no need for all that dialogue. Somewhere along the way good sidequest meant massive fucking backstories. There was one woman moaning about her husband and ready to kill herself. It was actually compelling, but they ruined it by having like 6 cutscenes just to get that story out. By the end of it I was telling her to jump.

It's not all bad, but Origins is much, much better. Odyssey focuses on the 'your odyssey' part too much. Odysseus was gone ten years and that was how long AC felt to me. The fights/battles were much worse tbh. I didn't mind the leader houses as they were like mini puzzles and you could scale their difficulty by not doing side objectives. It was very level oriented - even specced with assassin you can't easily take someone down a couple of levels above who is not a grunt,

Also fire was way OP, and the mixture of bounty hunters and mercs showing up every two minutes got boring. Too uch got in the way of playing the damn thing. Oh, I'll just do this fort, horn blow - ffs now I have bounty hunters here as well etc.

Having said all that, I like the look of Valhalla except the sieges.

Shrap

Correct, the EN subs are matched with the EN voiceacting. I too noticed some differences to the the JP voiceacting, but as long as the story makes sense i am not bothered by it too much.
I would've liked it to have matched as I want to learn more traditional vocabulary and phrases but it's no big deal. I'm just glad they did include the Japanese voices, it feels strange to me playing games like this in English.

Bartski

Gold Member
Something to say about the balance, I don't think the game is designed expecting the player to go through every single side quest available before following the main story. Playing on "hard" from the start, the moment I entered Act 3 I had my swords fully upgraded, 85% skills unlocked and was hella OP to the point some boss battles (like camp leaders) were a joke and I was blasting through. The only really difficult moment in the whole game that stopped my progress for a while was Kojiro (Act 2)

Rikoi

Something to say about the balance, I don't think the game is designed expecting the player to go through every single side quest available before following the main story. Playing on "hard" from the start, the moment I entered Act 3 I had my swords fully upgraded, 85% skills unlocked and was hella OP to the point some boss battles (like camp leaders) were a joke and I was blasting through. The only really difficult moment in the whole game that stopped my progress for a while was Kojiro (Act 2)
I have a very hard time continuing the game once the main story ends.
This wasn't the case when I was younger, but now once it's over my will to continue the game drops to zero, I always leave it for last so I feel like the the game is not over yet.

Peroroncino

Uhhh... 2 for the price of 1?

JQrclco.gif

Inuteu

Any style over substance players here?

fu.ck armor

I want a straw hat and a nice cape to sway with the wind

spoiler me please, this kind of hat is in the game?

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's amazing how the game loads and fast travels so fast! In comparison GTA5 initial load gives you time to have 3 course meal and the mission loads gives you time to eat a full sandwich.
This game will be instant loads on ps5 surely.

How big is the open world map in ghost of tsushima?

Maybe it has something to do with that

GTA V Los Santos is massive

nowhat

Correct. Kazuya Nakai a.k.a Roronoa Zoro’s voice is more than enough to play it in Japanese. Also it’s a Samurai game, fuck lip sync.
I'm someone who's quite anal about these things (and yes, among the people in this thread who has complained that there's a certain amount of "jank" in the presentation, as good as it can look) - absolutely Japanese VA. The lip sync does look off at first, but then you just tune out. As you do to most of the jank too.

Ar¢tos

How big is the open world map in ghost of tsushima?

Maybe it has something to do with that

GTA V Los Santos is massive
?!?
What does it matter? Both games only load the part of the map the player is in, neither does Gta5 loads the full city when you start the game and neither GoT loads the full island.
But the island is huge.

Top Bottom