• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Keihart

Boys, me and brother both want to play the game. Can you have multiple save files for this game? If he starts a new game will it delete my old save or overwrite it?
just create another user on the PS4, every user can use the games from every account in the PS4 that set that console as primary.
There is a manual save too if for some weird reason you both want to play in the same account.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

just create another user on the PS4, every user can use the games from every account in the PS4 that set that console as primary.
There is a manual save too if for some weird reason you both want to play in the same account.
Oh thanks i totally forgot about the multiple accounts thing, thanks

i mentioned DMC5, because like most of the games in it's genre, they are the most mechanically competent ones in giving the player the agency to look cool without making it automated.
I feared that this game was going to be like AC and Batman at first, which for me would have taken a lot from the combat. But luckily the combat here leans more towards a stylish action game even if there is no juggle system, making it very satisfactory to have clean cool looking fights.

The camera and lock on are not tied, nor they should be. Fixing the camera would be a big improvement tho.
The soft lock on works alright since pressing run takes you out of it and it's pretty easy to aim at enemies by pointing the stick in their direction since there is no directional inputs.

Ohh I understand. Just because I didn't like DMC5 doesn't mean I my trashing the example. Although I wouldn't recommend the combat based on my personal taste. However there can be truth to good camera implementation in that game that could benefit this game. I just forgot everything about that game, it just didn't grab me, and there is a difference in seeing gameplay on youtube to refresh memory and playing it yourself to stress test it and make an accurate comment on it. I won't be bothered to play it again just for argument sake - gotta finish Tsushima lmao. So that's a me problem. Suffice to say we can agree Ghost needs some work. Hopefully the team at Sucker Punch will find their sweet spot after taking a deeper look and rework some things. They got my money and support.

Last edited:

Keihart

Can someone explain this to me

To be fair, the world in HZD feels more like a plastic model, i'm not sure but i would bet that SP is using that CPU and GPU to make all those particles animate constantly. They are no strangers to inverse kinematics and there is a lot of overlap between what the game is doing and some of the things in TLoU2, so i think it's more a thing of performance budget.

I mean, if we are gonna compare this to HZD, we could show how static the world in HZD is and how there is no night and day cycle and how boring is traversal full of invisble walls, etc.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
To be fair, the world in HZD feels more like a plastic model, i'm not sure but i would bet that SP is using that CPU and GPU to make all those particles animate constantly. They are no strangers to inverse kinematics and there is a lot of overlap between what the game is doing and some of the things in TLoU2, so i think it's more a thing of performance budget.

I mean, if we are gonna compare this to HZD, we could show how static the world in HZD is and how there is no night and day cycle and how boring is traversal full of invisble walls, etc.
I mean they have strengths and weaknesses but generally speaking Horizon looks and feels a lot newer than Ghost does to me.

Or if we compare HZD to God of War handholds.... talk about barebone (and that's a Top 3 game of the gen). Some developers spend more time and resources than others on certain things with their engines.

Last edited:

nowhat

Can someone explain this to me
Whatever engine Sucker Punch uses, it doesn't support inverse kinematics. It can mean many things, but when it comes to computer graphics, it basically means that limbs are properly able to adjust themselves to the environment. And yes, the lack of it is both jarring and surprising - I thought the whole point of establishing ICE was that all the first-party studios can share tech and benefit from it?

But still, it doesn't break the game. After a while you just tune out, like with the total lack of lip sync when using Japanese voices.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We will leave the jaguar gen behind us pretty soon with PS5 exclusives, so we will understand how big the upgrade is with less compromises.

Whatever engine Sucker Punch uses, it doesn't support inverse kinematics. It can mean many things, but when it comes to computer graphics, it basically means that limbs are properly able to adjust themselves to the environment. And yes, the lack of it is both jarring and surprising - I thought the whole point of establishing ICE was that all the first-party studios can share tech and benefit from it?

But still, it doesn't break the game. After a while you just tune out, like with the total lack of lip sync when using Japanese voices.

If that were the case everyone at World Wide Studios would have the Naughty Dog animation pipeline. They don't.

Keihart

I mean they have strengths and weaknesses but generally speaking Horizon looks and feels a lot newer than Ghost does to me.
i'm not gonna pretend i love HZD, because i felt the game was mechanically dated when it launched since i couldn't avoid to compare it with BoTW and Witcher 3, the game tried to do a little bit of both and did it worst. But, even not taking in account the mechanical and design decisions that bother me about the game, presentation wise i prefer GoT too. Some animations are janky in GoT but HZD was in no way an animation showcase either. Both characters look janky going up stairs.

Keihart

What the actual fuck? Have you like played the game? It certainly has a day/night cycle. It just isn't as fast as in GoT (which I think is a good thing, it can seem too fast here).
I played the game on lauch, is there? isn't it fixed? I remember it being fixed.
Edit: yeah, i was wrong. I wonder why i got that impression. I did play the game for like 60 hours mostly focused on combat.

Last edited:

nowhat

I played the game on lauch, is there? isn't it fixed? I remember it being fixed.
I bought it at launch, it was always there. You can scroll through time of day in the photo mode to prove it. It just doesn't change as fast as in GoT, but as stated, I think it's a good thing.

But yeah, some missions start out at a particular time of day - but that's just an artistic call, I think, some of them wouldn't work if it was too dark/bright.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I like everything revealed after synchronizing a viewpoint simply because im going to spend 100+ hours in the game and would much rather be doing the content in the game and completing it all as opposed to wasting my time looking for it.

Ubisoft is my #1 publisher and developer and have been since 2010 which is not going to change. My only issue with them is that they try to implement every formula into every game. For example AC now is what it should be. Ghost Recon should be like Wildlands. Far Cry should be like FC 3/4. Division should be like Division 2. Watch Dogs should be more like the first one.

All different enough but with different gameplay elements and loops. In general, every game is a checklist just like every game is repetitive. It simply comes down to are you enjoying it enough to keep doing it over and over until you complete the game.

I soak in the entire game. 150+ hours for Odyssey. 300+ hours for TW3 twice. Yeah, I soak all of it in. But I do while actually accomplishing what I want which is completing the content in the game.

The fox in Tsushima is fine. It's the same thing over and over (coughUBIcough) and the reward is okay. The bird is UGH. I don't care about a cosmetic headband. Waste of my time. And don't get me started on all these documents. AC has documents but holy crap, I think there's like 200 or some such shit in Tsushima. I have already stopped reading them. Want to give me lore? Do it with side quests and that's it. I don't get anything out of reading a document.

Any open world game that is like how you describe it in your second paragraph would be a complete skip for me. LMAO. I'm not traversing a massive open world looking for all that shit. Way past that point. My time is valuable and would never waste it looking for content in a game when I could actually be doing that exact same content.

I love bandit camps, forts, etc. and if the combat is great, even better. Give me a good story and characters and im completely fine.

I guess you're NOT interested in Valhalla huh? Hehe. Seriously, I get your point and what you want but for me, honestly, that would just bore the fucking shit out of me. But that's what's great about gaming - you play what you want and skip the shit that you don't.
It's never a waste of my time looking for content, that should be part of the fun. Why even be playing an open-world game at all if all you view it as is a nuisance to get to the meat of the matter?

Ubi is my least favorite developer (maybe slightly behind EA). They weren't always, back in the day of Sands Of Time and Chaos Theory (two of my favorites) they were decent. Now? They fart out, year after year, cookie cutter, assembly-line manufactured garbage, and their unimaginative, rote, mundane, and painfully unoriginal attempts permeate in their influence throughout the the rest of the industry to its detriment. It's a formula from long ago that they were largely instrumental in establishing that worked for the time, but is now doing nothing but stagnating progress in a genre that holds a lot more potential than their antiquated design philosophy can afford. The worlds created now are truly marvels yet remain muddled and compromised by a philosophy that needs to move forward.

I walk and trot everywhere in GoT because I like to role play and take in the environments very slowly. That's a large part of the appeal of these games for me.....immersing myself in the world and discovering content, not just doing it. I don't want question marks or markers on the map until I've discovered it of my own volition. I don't want to know where "points of interest" are. Where's the fun in that? And I know you'd skip my idea for an open-world, but I think that's because you've been so inundated that you can't help but frame it in Ubi's formula. Looking at it in that sense I'd agree, it would be a fucking bore. But open-worlds suffer, from their inception, from a glaring disparity between the worlds that exist and the objectives that inhabit them. They're not organically incorporated with nuance, granularity, uniqueness and subtlety across the board, but are artificially compartmentalized which again, makes the world feel like an empty window dressing instead of actually being a place that is alive and dynamic.

And to its credit, this is why a game such as BotW was so captivating: through the implementation of physics and the player's ability to control them to various emergent outcomes, the world came to life instead of being a dull, lifeless catalyst simply there to be able to check off the boxes to progress to the end. And considering how much time and effort is placed into creating these worlds, it's really a shame and missed opportunity that that is so often the case with the genre.

Last edited:
cant wait till i play it on ps5

fellas is it me or does this game have the fastest open world game loading?

Don't know about all open worlds but it definitely has faster fast travel loading than GOW. Much better than Spider-man too as I was recently trying to finish the DLC before Ghost released. It's crazy good. I can't wait for next-gen in this regard. Talk about quality of life improvement.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
This game is better than The Witcher 3.
7Re3.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Horizon certainly looks pretty on screenshots and it feels more hi-tech but I give the nod to Tsushima... the world feels alive. It's a combination of the particle work, the aesthetics, the lighting, the clouds...

Both are fantastic however and I'm hyped as fuck for HZD2.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This game has incredibly well designed menus. I know it’s something we overlook a lot, but that shit deserves praise. Also the loading times are incredibly short and the other QoL things this game does (being able to pick up resources on horseback, for instance) definitely add to the overall experience.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This game has incredibly well designed menus. I know it’s something we overlook a lot, but that shit deserves praise. Also the loading times are incredibly short and the other QoL things this game does (being able to pick up resources on horseback, for instance) definitely add to the overall experience.
The is true. I also really like the map. The way it is slowly filled in with color is satisfying to watch, and I like how that's visible when you zoom the map out.

vpance

Horizon certainly looks pretty on screenshots and it feels more hi-tech but I give the nod to Tsushima... the world feels alive. It's a combination of the particle word, the aesthetics, the lighting, the clouds...

Both are fantastic however and I'm hyped as fuck for HZD2.

HZD world feels like a little unnatural, like mini ecosystems stiched close together. The entire world map may be big but the scale of things still seems small.

I have 1GB in screencaps for GoT and I’m only 10hrs in lol.

Last edited:
I personally would like daytime to be much longer in Ghost. The game spends too much time in sunset/nights. I want the bright lights majority of the time. Enjoy the beauty of it.
I second that. Last time I played I was thinking the same. The cycle is a bit too fast.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I personally would like daytime to be much longer in Ghost. The game spends too much time in sunset/nights. I want the bright lights majority of the time. Enjoy the beauty of it.
Isn’t there a way to alter the time of day with your musical instrument? I agree with your assessment by the way, daytime is beautiful and too scarce.

Isn’t there a way to alter the time of day with your musical instrument? I agree with your assessment by the way, daytime is beautiful and too scarce.
I wish. I was doing a mystic quest where you gotta find the blue flower was a pain in the ass due to the sunset turning everything orange or the sun being same direction of the flowers.

Justin9mm

I honestly don't think the lip movement is even that great in English, some talking scenes the camera is far away anyway that you can't even notice.

Justin9mm

does anyone know where the pre order bonus stuff is for the standard edition? Was I meant to get a code from my retailer? I received nothing when it was advertised where I bought it from.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Soooo

Even if you want to start over you can’t skip a single cutscene or garbage cliche dialog section?

In 2020?

What absolute fucking garbage.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, this is really cool:

GT Ferrari, Tallneck, Jak Rachet, Deacon's bike, 3rd colossus, Ellie's guitar, Leviathan Axe, Ludens... what about the rest?

Ghost-of-Tsushima-20200721031440.jpg

Last edited:

Vroadstar

I'm really enjoying the game, the sword fights feel a lot like those old samurai movies. If anything, I hope SP can widen? the FOV, it just felt too close sometimes and I want to enjoy the awesome environments more.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So my burning question since this was announced: does it have one hit kills like Bushido Blade?
Becomes more common as you upgrade your damage also. Attacks head on don't usually do a lot of damage, or are blocked. Attacks after counters usually kill in 1-4 hits. You also can wear gear to increase your damage and regularly drop people in 1-2 hits all the time.

Top Bottom