• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

GymWolf

Gold Member
The most crystal clear thing in this game is that a ladder probably raped jin when he was young, it's the only explanation on why he become a moron when he has to interact with them in closed locations...

Last edited:
ksFW_2y74_398Li-om2-QQSv-Ht-VpTBU7rJBATyugVHIRWKh1XTh6XagOla3d-I4qokFDXtyC4A-N2ADQzZoF-KqLMVmphxK2_ZOJfBfaQdVsjMEW1RhPSfrRYyaTvGRQ-BfRlqOanpFiP1Okb4_7UT-J4=w276-h276

tenor.gif

mekes

Just started playing. I’m immediately shocked at how good it looks weighed up against how well it controls and feels to play. Normally there would be a trade off on console like this. So that in itself is an excellent first impression. Im only an hour in, but so far so glad I purchased.

Ive quit out on TLOU2 to play this and I’m immediately satisfied at that choice. I feel like these days, I’m late 30s now and gaming for as long as I can remember. The gameplay and the story need to be present for me to properly enjoy. I used to be able to take one over the other In my stride and enjoy a game, but not so much anymore.

GlockSaint

So I've played about 7 hours here are my impressions.
Good
-First kudos to sucker punch with how immersive this world is, npcs telling you of locations, foxes, birds, random events while you're exploring, the music, presentation is just soooo good. Makes me excited about platinuming this game.
- The combat is so fluid and entertaining that after each encounter i can't wait for more. There seems to be a ton of abilities and upgrades.

Meh
-The black bars during cutscenes dont make it cinematic, it makes it look cheap i wish they'd do away with it.
-Quests could be improved a bit, the mythic stuff is way more entertaining than the standard quests.
-This one is my own personal gripe. I honestly don't like the supplies system, there is hardly of it, you kill like 20 mongols and only 2-3 drop supplies. Maybe have a different drop rate for it?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Game is good so far, and the combat is better than expected. Now that I’m in area two (after fully liberating area one), the enemies are immediately far less forgiving and the challenge is ramped up, so just what I was hoping to see.

Gorgeous aesthetics, and wandering around the countryside in the level 4 ronin outfit brings me joy.

Game is good so far, and the combat is better than expected. Now that I’m in area two (after fully liberating area one), the enemies are immediately far less forgiving and the challenge is ramped up, so just what I was hoping to see.

Gorgeous aesthetics, and wandering around the countryside in the level 4 ronin outfit brings me joy.

I haven't wrapped up Act 1 yet as I got so immersed in the mythic tales :) but lord the game is super challenging on hard difficulty. Enemies gang up on me and they all charge at me the same time with those god damn archers and i drop dead in seconds

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I haven't wrapped up Act 1 yet as I got so immersed in the mythic tales :) but lord the game is super challenging on hard difficulty. Enemies gang up on me and they all charge at me the same time with those god damn archers and i drop dead in seconds
Get the deflect arrows upgrade it really comes in handy

Iorv3th

I just got area 2 unlocked and went back and did everything in area 1 first. and yeah it's a little harder to get those standoff kills. Enemies are quicker.

But it's not that bad on hard.

Hobbygaming

I have it unlocked good sir, but the problem when you're trying for the perfect parry, when you try to time it right the quick ms is an enough window for the archer to shoot me and for me to get hit even though i have the deflect arrow skill upgrade unlocked
Ohh, yeah I understand. I mostly block and dodge unlockable as my partying skills aren't quite up to par yet 😃

Ohh, yeah I understand. I mostly block and dodge unlockable as my partying skills aren't quite up to par yet 😃

ditto i am still improving on parry and haven't reached perfection yet. I just got the unlock for the parry an unparryable attack for swords men and spearmen. Is there one for the shield men and the big dude who runs with a big blunt weapon?

Mr Branding

This is my dream game. I'm in act 2 and can safely say it landed in my top 10 games of all time. Sucker Punch are underrated, as above all else, this game feels soooo good to play, while sounding amazing and looking stellar. I also love the versatile combat; cancelable attacks, perfect parry... faint.gif

For anyone which managed to finish, any Tengu mask for Jin to wear?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm enjoying it but this game is sloooow.. I don't know how you all are blasting through it. It takes hours to get anywhere in this game due to the cutscenes and endless "follow me" segments and there's too much of that for me, so I end up only being able to play for 2 hours and having to take a break. Last night I played for 2 hours and barely fought anyone because the missions I chose had long segments of no battling.

I really dislike games that make you follow people around.. I'd much rather just meet someone somewhere, or do a mission on my own, and have the game let me travel at my own pace to the next location. And the "now we force you to walk and not run so you can listen to some dialog since you went too fast" stuff REALLY grinds my gears... (and ironically, was the reason I've always hated... gears of war)

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

ditto i am still improving on parry and haven't reached perfection yet. I just got the unlock for the parry an unparryable attack for swords men and spearmen. Is there one for the shield men and the big dude who runs with a big blunt weapon?
I dont know if there's one for the big tankier enemies, they be fucking me up I usually just throw Kunai's at them and get close to finish them off lol

Shantae

Banned
I had to do a hell of a lot of searching, but I finally found a copy of this at Target this morning. Had to stop at multiple stores, because their site said certain ones had it in stock, when they didn't. Wasn't going to submit to any digital version lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're going to have a blast. Everything is well made in the game

Story, main and side quests. This game changed the standard for a WRPG
Holy hyperbole...but i guess personal tastes and all of that...

To me it doesn't change the standard of anythjng except maybe the art design and even there is a matter of taste.
Ok maybe the guide wind, that one aspect is pretty much better than any signals on the screen in other open world games.

Last edited:

Inuteu

WORLD WAR 3 CONFIRMED

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think when I am finished I will put this game up there with Witcher 3 and HZD as my favorite open world games this generation. Everything just plays great and the combat is really fun once it really starts to click. It does a really good job making you feel like a badass samurai.

I unlocked the second section of the island but have been going back to fully explore the first part. Almost done with that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just took out a fallen camp and damn it felt so good! I love the combat in this game. Character models are nice and detailed. The camera is up close so everything looks really large and cinematic. Add in combat that is button mashy and strategic at the same time, and it’s one hell of an action rpg.

protonion

Just finished it.

Open world fatigue kicked in about halfway but not so much as to stop playing.

Visuals and combat are the two things it does exceptionally well. Never got tired of fighting enemies. The final battle was really fun too.

I do not think I will be clearing the map. Way too much stuff to do.

8/10.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not as far as quest structure and writing I'd so no but I'd give it the visuals and combat
Yeah visual and combat are better.

The only thing better in w3 about the combat is the challenge, they are both very easy games even on hard, but tsushima is hilariously easy if you are even a little bit skilled in this type of games even before reaching half game.

For now this is my biggest problem with the game and i'm far from having a completed upgraded jin so things are gonna get even worse unfortunately.
The stance system is a joke and deep as a puddle, people who praise this probably never played a deep combat system in their life...i'm sorry if i sound like a jackass but if you think that this system is something more than some flashy diversified attack animation just to have some additional (and mostly useless) skill threes then i don't know what to say onestly, i can explain myself better but sony fanboy will probably pile on me anyway so why wasting time...

The game scream for a souls mode with an actual level of challenge.

I know i sound harsh but i'm still enjoying tha game a lot and i will probably put 60 hours in it, but it's mostly because i'm an absolute sucker for this type of games, especially from sony (for some abstract reason)

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
My only gripe with the combat is the same one as with stealth - sometimes it's better not to have companions at all than to have them done poorly.

Solo missions are badass (despite rapid time of day changes wtf), but as soon as some teamwork comes into play it usually results in totally ridiculous situations on screen, like bombing the living shit out of your allies surrounded by attacking enemies being a totally viable strat as they are 100% immune to any of your AOE.

In stealth - if you think TLOU1 was bad with Ellie walking in front of enemies undetected, here it's just the default behavior.

But like I said before, everything else the game does right makes up for it and then some, amazing title.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

The only thing better in w3 about the combat is the challenge, they are both very easy games even on hard, but tsushima is hilariously easy if you are even a little bit skilled in this type of games even before reaching half game.

For now this is my biggest problem with the game and i'm far from having a completed upgraded jin so things are gonna get even worse unfortunately.
The stance system is a joke and deep as a puddle, people who praise this probably never played a deep combat system in their life...i'm sorry if i sound like a jackass but if you think that this system is something more than some flashy diversified attack animation just to have some additional (and mostly useless) skill threes then i don't know what to say onestly, i can explain myself better but sony fanboy will probably pile on me anyway so why wasting time...

I know i sound harsh but i'm still enjoying tha game a lot, but it's mostly because i'm an absolute sucker for this type of games.
It's great for me as I typically like games with normal difficulty over Souls difficulty. I beat Bloodborne twice but I like fair difficulty games most of the time. I disagree about the combat depth

Mista

Banned
Holy hyperbole...but i guess personal tastes and all of that...

To me it doesn't change the standard of anythjng except maybe the art design and even there is a matter of taste.
Ok maybe the guide wind, that one aspect is pretty much better than any signals on the screen in other open world games.
I’m talking about The Witcher 3 here...

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's great for me as I typically like games with normal difficulty over Souls difficulty. I beat Bloodborne twice but I like fair difficulty games most of the time. I disagree about the combat depth
the combat in general is acceptable\good (except for the lack of challenge and precanned death animations) and i fully understand why a lot of people love it, i was more talking about the stance system.

i know that it look flashy etc.i love the attack animations too, but in reality it's just an arbitrary "more damage to the guard of this type of enemy" type of stuff, light years away from more famous stance systems like nioh or even latest dmc games where there is no one better stance against a particular type of enemies but just more playstyles choices for skilled players, and if you fight mostly with perfect parry and perfect evasion it becomes absolutely useless, same for when you upgrade your sword, it doesn't change a lot between destroying their guard with 3 hits instead of 2, and if you ass kunai, sticky bombs etc, you can even forget to change stance, i literally forget to change stance in 90% of the fights because it's really easy to kill enemies with any stance.

Last edited:

Keihart

If it wasn't for a couple of niggles, I'd see this as a 8/10 easily, maybe even a 9/10. I just keep hitting little niggles (at least for me). Trying to find certain merchants in towns, constantly having to swipe up on the touchpad to show the way when a single icon would have done the job better, and the last act's scenery has disappointed me. If it had been act 2 and act 3 was what act 2 was, I'd have been much happier. It's still good though ... I just want to give it great but can't.

Is there a post game? No spoilers, please.
you don't need to swipe up to follow the wind, the wind is always blowing in the direction of your objective.
You swipe only to make it stronger, but with the amount of particles flying it shouldn't be a problem.

idrago01

Banned

I know i sound harsh but i'm still enjoying tha game a lot and i will probably put 60 hours in it, but it's mostly because i'm an absolute sucker for this type of games, especially from sony (for some abstract reason)
Just curious what game do you feel has a deep combat system? I agree with you that it is not frustratingly difficult and using R1 moves are a bit like cheating, but I'm more into it for the flash, feel, and multiple options at your disposal similar to how I play devil may cry. When played right the battles are seamless and straight out of a cinematic choreographed movie which is what I want.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If it wasn't for a couple of niggles, I'd see this as a 8/10 easily, maybe even a 9/10. I just keep hitting little niggles (at least for me). Trying to find certain merchants in towns, constantly having to swipe up on the touchpad to show the way when a single icon would have done the job better, and the last act's scenery has disappointed me. If it had been act 2 and act 3 was what act 2 was, I'd have been much happier. It's still good though ... I just want to give it great but can't.

Is there a post game? No spoilers, please.

Yeah I'm the same way. I would much prefer a compass mechanic like Bethesda RPG's; the wind is annoying.. and towns are annoying as well.

Half the time instead of using the wind I end up just using the map to try to point myself in the correct direction lol

Top Bottom