• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Over 1/3 done now, decided pretty quickly that I'd be going for the platinum. Realised that it's the last "big" game I'm gonna be playing on my PS4 which was quite bittersweet.

Really enjoying it, definitely going to have to crank it up to hard because once you get used to the controls and get some upgrades it's hilariously can't-lose easy. Love the style and the setting, love how simple yet effective the stories are. Just a great, solid, all-round experience that I needed right now, something to sink some hours into after work without too much stress.

Over 1/3 done now, decided pretty quickly that I'd be going for the platinum. Realised that it's the last "big" game I'm gonna be playing on my PS4 which was quite bittersweet.

Really enjoying it, definitely going to have to crank it up to hard because once you get used to the controls and get some upgrades it's hilariously can't-lose easy. Love the style and the setting, love how simple yet effective the stories are. Just a great, solid, all-round experience that I needed right now, something to sink some hours into after work without too much stress.

I've been playing on hard from the get go and I have enough upgrades to make almost all the fights pretty manageable, but it definitely will still check you occasionally. This game really does punish you for dropping your focus.

EDIT: I want more slick options for Sakai's costume. Where are all the clothing options? Do you earn masks just from missions?

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Restarted and got a proper horse. This game is really fun. I do wonder however if I should wait for PS5 update on this. Unlike TLOU2 it's not the game I'll ever replay and I think small upgrade in graphics would make this a beast with potential 4k/RT/more particles.

Keihart

I know, I'm not arguing GoT does these things I'm looking for (I admitted it falls into the same formula as Ubi games under the wind mechanic), just in a general ideal of what I want out of the genre.
The more i play GoT, the more it feels like InFamous. I really like how they translated their experience to this. This is a super hero game, you are the super samurai police.
I also think there are some key differences in here, for example, the point of interests are not given out of thin air, their are tips given by npcs, if it's not a tip then you follow a bird or use your wind tracking gear, either way it's making you work to track those points one by one. Obviously if you don't follow the tips of your npcs you'll end up with a bunch of interrogations signs not knowing what is what.

Even if this is not Zelda BoTW, i think it's a good compromise for the time being, because even if the went full immersion we would have people complaining. I would love to have a more natural exploration tho and having a map and a journal that have to be used as such to complete quests. But i'm alright with this too, since it doesn't go full cheklist after ubisoft like HZD for example.

I know you wheren't ranting about the similarities with ubisoft, but i wanted to comment on it.

Keihart

Can be spoiler, i honestly don't know, please watch at own risk (combat with a couple of folks, i guess in an advanced part of the story, given the moveset):

Question is: is this all gameplay? Because if so, the player is awesome, and the game is frankly great.
that's a SunhiLegend gif, here is the tweet:

The sticky bomb was pure style because the kick already leaves the enemy in knocked down state to execute him.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I haven't encountered any Tsushima Leopard cat in the game so far. Didn't SP include them?
"lollipop_disappointed:
400px-Tsushima_Cat_001.jpg

100605152412809.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm at the second major area and losing steam. I wish instead of throwing more enemies at you during encounters, they had more variety or more challenging foes. Like a half step between the run-of-the-mill enemies and the enemies found in duels.

MastAndo

No, there's no Japanese pussy in the game, no matter how much you otakus would want it.
At one point, a woman lead me to a hot spring, and I thought she was going to hop in so we could bump pixelated uglies....alas, she didn't even motion to undress, but there was still hope for a little voyeurism action. I could make that work, I thought. Curse my misfortune, she didn't even do as much as glance over at my bare bottom. Oh well, just another bath it is then, thinking about uncle.

Nankatsu

Playing on hard since the get-go, glad the game doesn't have a lock on, makes you be aware of all your surroundings.

I already died a couple of times.

Combat is really good, way better than I expected. They really nailed it.

One thing: I noticed that there are some non important dialogues that the game does not show subtitles, is there a way to work this around?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The Mogols left a trail of destruction everywere they went (from Eastern Europe to Japan). The alleged death toll is around 40 million people.

The Mongols, a tribe of nomadic horsemen from Central Asia, conducted a hundred year campaign of conquest that subjugated most of Eurasia. During the 13th century, the Mongol Empire systematically conquered modern-day Russia, China, Burma, Korea, all of Central Asia, India, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Bulgaria, Hungary and Poland.

The Mongols did not conquer gently. Between 1211 and 1337, they may have killed as many as 18.4 million people in East Asia alone. As Ian Frazier wrote in The New Yorker, “For the cities and cultivated places in the Mongols’ path, they were a natural disaster on the order of an asteroid collision.”

An example of Mongol brutality was the Persian city of Nishapur, destroyed in 1221 AD by Mongol forces who reportedly wiped out 1.7 million people living in and around the city. In their conquest of Baghdad, then the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate, the Mongols embarked on a seven-day killing spree that killed 200,000 to 1,000,000 inhabitants of the city.

PanzerAzel

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand, has surprised me with it's sidequests. The small tasks you do for the inhabitants of the island are actually quite fun if a bit lacking in cinematic presentation.
They shouldn't have attempted to frame these cinematically (with the black bars). It's obvious SP didn't have the money to do the close up cinematic direction for the side-quests afforded to the main narrative, and as such (and as Yong Yea noted in his review) they feel cheap and half-assed. It would've been better if you could just go up and the game wouldn't break into a cinematic but would've remained in gameplay while you talked. Not breaking the flow and accomplishing just as well as it does as it is now.
EDIT: I want more slick options for Sakai's costume. Where are all the clothing options? Do you earn masks just from missions?
Some are attained from missions, some are from purchasing armor, but the majority I found early game were gifts at Golden Temple in Act I, the first place you visit with Lady Masako.
The more i play GoT, the more it feels like InFamous. I really like how they translated their experience to this. This is a super hero game, you are the super samurai police.
I also think there are some key differences in here, for example, the point of interests are not given out of thin air, their are tips given by npcs, if it's not a tip then you follow a bird or use your wind tracking gear, either way it's making you work to track those points one by one. Obviously if you don't follow the tips of your npcs you'll end up with a bunch of interrogations signs not knowing what is what.

Even if this is not Zelda BoTW, i think it's a good compromise for the time being, because even if the went full immersion we would have people complaining. I would love to have a more natural exploration tho and having a map and a journal that have to be used as such to complete quests. But i'm alright with this too, since it doesn't go full cheklist after ubisoft like HZD for example.

I know you wheren't ranting about the similarities with ubisoft, but i wanted to comment on it.
Whatever Sucker Punch did (as I mentioned previously), the open-world formula that I argue against Ubi being responsible for establishing isn't bothering me here, even though I recognize the influence. Maybe it's the theme as I'm just so enamored to be playing an incredible game based on Samurai and feudal Japan. But there are small differences that mount up: the wind, the (as you say) talking to NPCs, the fog of war of the map and not having towers reveal everything.

This is a step in the right direction, and it feels like the culmination of lessons learned in open-world design. Perhaps not by much, but small steps...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

SinDelta

Saved several homesteads and got a few quest items.

Then was informed I was entering Act 2 and those same farmsteads were now under attack. Went back, they are still saved. Did I just outright bypass a sequence?

Also enemies in Act 2 are heavily armored and noticeably more aggressive. Show downs have far more feinting and its throwing off my timing.

Game continues to be beautiful.

Last edited:

Rikoi

Then was informed I was entering Act 2 and those same farmsteads and were now under attack. Went back, they are still saved. Did I just outright bypass a sequence?
Exactly the same thing happened to me right now, went back to the farm and nothing is showing.

Keihart

Then was informed I was entering Act 2 and those same farmsteads were now under attack. Went back, they are still saved. Did I just outright bypass a sequence?

Also enemies in Act 2 are heavily armored and noticeably more aggressive. Show downs have far more feinting and its throwing off my timing.

Game continues to be beautiful.
weird, i'm starting act 2 too, and they are indeed taken by mongols, even the ones i saved.

Playing on hard since the get-go, glad the game doesn't have a lock on, makes you be aware of all your surroundings.

I already died a couple of times.

Combat is really good, way better than I expected. They really nailed it.

One thing: I noticed that there are some non important dialogues that the game does not show subtitles, is there a way to work this around?
Not that i know of, this is why i'm playing it with english voices, even when i find the japanese dub to be pretty good.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Boohoo! "They" should be more upset with the current CCP death camps and the like, not try and revision history like commie regimes... oh wait, I see what they are doing here.

The silly thing is that the Mongols invaded and conquered China too. There about 6 million ethnic Mongols living in modern day China, that's twice as many as the number of Mongols in Mongolia actually. But I doubt that 13th century Han Chinese would step up and defend the reputation of Ghengis Khan and his blood thirsty successors.

alstrike

Am I the only one that once upgraded the Sakai Armor went back to the Samurai Clan one? The Resolve perk works wonders for me.

HotPocket69

Banned
Am I the only one that once upgraded the Sakai Armor went back to the Samurai Clan one? The Resolve perk works wonders for me.

Ive worn the travelers gear the entire time 🤓

Sakai armor is great fully upgraded since that + both standoff perks allow you to wipe out five dudes in one standoff.

Bartski

Gold Member
Kinda funny when an AC game with Samuri/Ninja wins GotY and everybody looking at UBI for the last 10 years like why is there no ninjas in AC?

funny enough despite obvious connotations the word "ninja" doesn't appear in the game. GoT takes place in 13th century, that's way before shinobi if I'm not mistaken

GymWolf

Gold Member
do i have a bugged mission for an armour?

so i'm liberating all the farms with the grain simble to get the 6 keys to unlock this gosaku armour but only 4 of them give me a key, can i get the keys in another way or i have to talk to someone?

Ecto311

This game sold out everywhere or just around me? Seen it in walmart a few days ago and now nothing. All targets, best buy and Gamestops in my area all gone too. Don't want it digital because I would like to sell/trade if we want.

Hinedorf

Banned
This game sold out everywhere or just around me? Seen it in walmart a few days ago and now nothing. All targets, best buy and Gamestops in my area all gone too. Don't want it digital because I would like to sell/trade if we want.

Yup same here not available in physical copy for 250 miles per Bestbuy's, had a gift card but had to buy digital as that was the only thing actually available

Keihart

So this game has become my Yoshimitsu adventures, there are some similarities in the story and Jin can wear a remarkably similar costume with the straw-hat, a mask and the travelers outfit, besides...have you seen the fucking whirlwind move?

ManaByte

Yup same here not available in physical copy for 250 miles per Bestbuy's, had a gift card but had to buy digital as that was the only thing actually available

Same. But I applied my gift card to a PSN Digital card and used that to buy it. BB allows you to do that as long as the digital card you’re buying is more than your gift card is.

do i have a bugged mission for an armour?

so i'm liberating all the farms with the grain simble to get the 6 keys to unlock this gosaku armour but only 4 of them give me a key, can i get the keys in another way or i have to talk to someone?

There are 4 in the first area and 2 in the second area. I think the last one only appeared on the map after I freed the 5th one.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If it wasn't for a couple of niggles, I'd see this as a 8/10 easily, maybe even a 9/10. I just keep hitting little niggles (at least for me). Trying to find certain merchants in towns, constantly having to swipe up on the touchpad to show the way when a single icon would have done the job better, and the last act's scenery has disappointed me. If it had been act 2 and act 3 was what act 2 was, I'd have been much happier. It's still good though ... I just want to give it great but can't.

Is there a post game? No spoilers, please.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Really wanted to get the disc version of this but not a single store has a physical copy in Maryland. What’s that all about. Amazon even sounds sketchy on delivery dates.

THEAP99

Banned
I imagine I am past halfway now. I got past the act 2 mission where
taka dies

I feel like i wasted too much time doing side activities and quest earlier because only like a few of them felt worthwhile (mystic tales mostly but even they get repetitive) and kinda dragged my experience. I almost quit earlier today because of how redundant it was all getting, but I bought it, and want it done.

So now i am just focusing on pushing through the main story because i want to be done with this.

The story has had some epic moments but for the most part it's unconvincing uncompelling and kinda just "okay" to me.

I'd probably give the package as a whole a 7/10 right now. It's like i have opposite issues with this and days gone.

Last edited:

tassletine

I've been playing on hard from the get go and I have enough upgrades to make almost all the fights pretty manageable, but it definitely will still check you occasionally. This game really does punish you for dropping your focus.

I really like the difficulty on hard. It tends to thrash you occasionally, throwing up big challenges. I even had to step down on occasion to medium — but that‘s mainly because I’m worried about getting bored before the end of the game and want to get through quickly. And the fact you can do that in the middle of a fight is good.

Top Bottom