• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So I
got the call from Lynne at the Junkyard where she gets interrupted by someone and the girl drops the phone into the fish tank. Then I went to their neighbor's apartment and did that and go to the phone. I went to the "Troubled Man's" apartment at first, and then I thought better and went back to the Junkyard. Is it possible to skip "Troubled Man's" part or is that mandatory? I don't want to skip it.

This animation is just incredible, also. Soooo much personality in some of the character's movements. Really liked when
you move the donuts away from the girl and she reaches for them but there aren't any there. Little touches like that that look so good really help this game.

LiK

Fantastical said:
So I
got the call from Lynne at the Junkyard where she gets interrupted by someone and the girl drops the phone into the fish tank. Then I went to their neighbor's apartment and did that and go to the phone. I went to the "Troubled Man's" apartment at first, and then I thought better and went back to the Junkyard. Is it possible to skip "Troubled Man's" part or is that mandatory? I don't want to skip it.

This animation is just incredible, also. Soooo much personality in some of the character's movements. Really liked when
you move the donuts away from the girl and she reaches for them but there aren't any there. Little touches like that that look so good really help this game.

you can try going to other phone areas and maybe see extra dialogue or scenes but you won't be able to actually progress. it's a nice lil bonus for replayability, i guess.

Jintor

hosannainexcelsis said:
I won't forget it!

SheskaAvatar.jpg

Shu Takumi is a genius. I think I need some time to decide which Takumi game is my favorite, but I think this may come out on top.

Ending spoilers:
Does old Missle remind anyone of that old dog from Futurama that waited for Fry for like 1000 years? Hahaha http://i.imgur.com/Fvzvk.gif

kiryogi

Banned
I'm pretty positive in my ranking that this is Takumi's best work yet. On all levels. From the writing to the gameplay. Things dragged along at times in GS. But in GT, you really just want to keep playing to find out what's going to happen next.

Beat the game tonight. Overall, the environmental puzzles and gameplay is pure genuis!

But...
I'm a little disappointed at the way the game ended. That's just my opinion on it.

The animation in this game still amazes me.

Nemesis_

Jintor said:
Care to articulate why?

He did, but now it's gone. I'm a bit confused.

He likened the twist to something of Shylamamanasna (sp? lol) proportions, and "The Happening" or "The Village" kind of twist.

>_>

I didn't want to post spoilers. I didn't write anything that could spoil anything, but it was still too much. So I edited my post.

The game is great, so don't get me wrong. Definitely worth playing and very addicting. I bought a couple of days ago and already beat it! That shows how good it was.

wsippel

Banned
JoeFu said:
ENDING SPOILER POST!

For those of you saying that there will be a possibility for a sequel what did I miss? I mean they went back into time and then into present time. Everybody is still alive. Is it the fact that Sissel doesn't age or anything? I mean I have missed something as I was really tired when I beat the game and might not have read everything carefully.
As far as I understand, Sissel becomes immortal and retains his powers. He emits the same blue aura as Yomiel in the ghost world, and he still has a core. I believe this aspect is never really explained, though. Maybe another fragment of Temsik hit him off screen? Or did I miss something? Also, ten years in the past, Yomiel I believe said that everyone who's there at this point will remember everything, so at least Yomiel, Jowd and Missile should remember. Which becomes obvious as Yomiel draws Sissel at the junk yard in the new present. And while Missile and Jowd never died in the new present, Yomiel did die ten years ago. He should still have a core, and should still be able to communicate with Sissel.

EDIT: Shit, I just remembered... When Lynne finds Sissel, he's unconscious, right...?

wsippel

Banned
Jintor said:
Doesn't [ENDING SPOILERS]

Lynne say something to Sissel at the end?
She does. But it's not made clear if she actually remembers anything from the other timeline. In Yomiel's case, it's obvious.

Mdk7

Chapter 12...
i'm IN LOVE with this game.
It might be a little too linear and straightforward, but damn it's just so fascinating.
The atmosphere, the dialogues, the characters, the art direction... it's truly a pretty little gem.
Oh and the animations... how can they be soooooooooooo unbelievably awesome?
They're te best i've ever seen in my life, on par with those of Punch-Out Wii.

I'm up to chapter 5 so far. While I applaud the originality of this game I definitely feel it lacks the charm of the Phoenix Wright games. The characters and dialogue are nowhere near the same level.

zigg

lucablight said:
I'm up to chapter 5 so far. While I applaud the originality of this game I definitely feel it lacks the charm of the Phoenix Wright games. The characters and dialogue are nowhere near the same level.

I cannot comprehend this sentiment, but to each his or her own.

LiK

lucablight said:
It's a slow burn in terms of character development. I felt the same way in the beginning. But I ended up loving them so it worked out.

Totakeke

lucablight said:

If you mean quirky and weird, yeah they're nowhere there. Aside from one or two characters, they're all pretty down to earth.

zigg

I guess if one is looking for another Oldbag or Larry, one might be disappointed... but I'm certainly not. :)

LiK

Ghost Trick doesn't have as many character interactions or funny little moments as the AA games but that's from the nature of the game. None of the characters can really breathe (socialize alot) because they're constantly under the gun.

But Takumi did a brilliant job developing them anyway. I only wish we had more time to learn about
the waitress and Detective Rindge.
I see great potential with them in spin-offs or sequels.

wsippel

Banned
zigg said:
I guess if one is looking for another Oldbag or Larry, one might be disappointed... but I'm certainly not. :)
Same here. AA has many great characters, but there are some truly annoying characters as well. Not a single character in Ghost Trick annoyed me.

Totakeke

wsippel said:
Same here. AA has many great characters, but there are some truly annoying characters as well. Not a single character in Ghost Trick annoyed me.

Not even the
annoying "park ranger" guy? ;p

JoeFu

Banned
ENDING SPOILER AGAIN
One thing that bothered me ...why was Yomiel in jail so long? Did they not find him innocent after 6 months in the new present?

wsippel

Banned
JoeFu said:
ENDING SPOILER AGAIN
One thing that bothered me ...why was Yomiel in jail so long? Did they not find him innocent after 6 months in the new present?
He wasn't a spy, but he still stole a gun, escaped from the police station, took a hostage and threatened a detective. And he believed he deserved the punishment, so he probably didn't do much to defend himself. He killed people, even though that timeline was erased. He can still remember what he did, or was trying to do, after all.

Totakeke said:
Not even the
annoying "park ranger" guy? ;p
I really expected him to, but no. Surprisingly.

suzu

I think I like the 2 prison cops the best so far, haha. Missile is really cute too. The animations in this game have so much personality!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Stuck on Chapter 10

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the medicine bottle back to the justice minister

Only thing thats stumped me so far.

Danj

Saw this in the shops today (unfortunately didn't buy it since I have no spare money till payday). It was quite high up in the DS charts.

Got this yesterday and played up to chapter 6 already. What a superb game. Wasn't sure I'd like the premise as much as the PW games but thats not the case at all. The way the puzzles work is really clever. Good stuff, reading that things get even better later has me excited.

Ramenman

Shu Takumi's best game ever. It is.
The final plot twists are just so unpredictable, yet all justified somehow.

Question though :

ENDING SPOILER DON'T YOU EVEN DARE THINKING ABOUT READING THAT YOU IDIOT (with all due respect) :
So I'm a bit confused by what happens to Sissel once they get back to the "new present". Is his death nullified by the fact that he never meets Yomiel ? it's supposed to be right ? So the little black kitten, living at Jowd's, never dies. But why the aura and the core then ? Does Sissel's spirit, once in "new present", possess the kitten's body (his body, after all) ? Why the mention that he "still is a kitten after ten years", did he take a shot of the meteor back then ? (this would probably make sense after all, since it seems he is uncounscious or "weakened" when Young Lynn finds her).

Edit : i've turned things in and out a bit in my head, and actually it all very much makes sense. The questions in this post were written in the order in which they came back to my mind, but taking all into account it very much makes sense.
Given the fact that Sissel is uncounscious when found at the crash site, and that he has an aura + his body is "stuck in time" + his ghost world appears Blue (much like Yomiel's), then the only logical explanation is that he indeed has a fragment in his body, and is now in the same situation as Yomiel is during most of the game.

Tiktaalik

So when is the Canadian release date for this? It's on Amazon but HMV and Futureshop and Gamestop/EB Games don't show it at any of their stores. Futureshop shows a release date of March 15th which surely must be a typo.

Ruzai

Ramenman said:
Question though :

ENDING SPOILER DON'T YOU EVEN DARE THINKING ABOUT READING THAT YOU IDIOT (with all due respect) :
So I'm a bit confused by what happens to Sissel once they get back to the "new present".

ANSWER ABOUT ENDING SPOILERS
Sissel's original death in the junkyard is erased, however, in the course of the last chapter when the meteor's path is changed, it misses Yomiel and instead strikes and kills Sissel. That's why Lynne mentioned the kitten's body was limp. The fact that Jowd mentions seeing no injury, Sissel's eternal youth, and the surrounding radiation in the final view of the ghost world are meant to indicate that Sissel is now the carrier of the fragment instead of Yomiel.

Ceebs

Just finished the game

I really enjoyed the game right up until the the stuff with the meteor came up. It just did not work for me. Was hoping it would go more towards a conspiracy plot of some kind with the other nation, not just trying to get a chunk of meteor. Everything beyond that was fine, but I really wish the whole thing was not the work of a supernatural meteor.

Would love to see an Ace Attorney game with this sort of pacing though.

I am glad this game still does Ace Attorney's thing where it shakes the screen and makes an impact noise for comedic effect. No one does that better than Takumi.

I laughed really hard when it happened at

Lynne: HAHA, I DIED AGAIN
Sissel: D:

Damn, what a great game. I only finished Phoenix Wright 1, now I want to go and play the rest! Can't wait to see how PWxLayton turns out!

More than anything though: I want a Ghost Trick 2!

ShockingAlberto said:
I am glad this game still does Ace Attorney's thing where it shakes the screen and makes an impact noise for comedic effect. No one does that better than Takumi.

I laughed really hard when it happened at

Lynne: HAHA, I DIED AGAIN
Sissel: D:
That effect almost always makes me lose it lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
On chapter 5 so far, things are looking good. I wonder if everything will be related in the end or if a few things just happen to be going on at the same time.

Top Bottom