• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's an alright movie like pretty much most modern, easily consumable, fun, pop-corn summer blockbusters? The crazy thing about this whole thing is how the original Ghostbusters franchise is treated with such reverence by some people. It's not Star Wars. It's not The Godfather. It's Ghostbusters. It's a franchise that's on the same comedic level as stuff like, at best, Stripes and, at worst, Police Academy. Also ghostbusters 2 was mediocre. There, I said it.

But they still spent almost a billion dollar for remakes (without marketing). That would have been enough to make a lot of movies.

This idea that somehow remakes or sequels existing prevents original ideas from being made is so ridiculous and needs to go away forever.

You know what else gets made by the truckload every year? A bunch of shit. And I'd rather spend my money on a good movie even if it's a sequel or a reboot than some piece of shit garbage original movie.

No that order makes sense.

Enjoy the new one fresh and then enjoy the classic after.

The main problem with this is that there are so many callbacks and in-jokes and references to the original movies in the reboot that will not land at all if watched out of order. I'm sure there are probably entire jokes that rely on a familiarity with the originals. And I'm not just talking about a sign saying "That's a big Twinkei!" in the background.

MrBadger

I'm a bit confused, guys...that negative video hit the front page of Reddit straight away, but none of the glowing or "it's okay" reviews are anywhere to be seen. How can this be? Surely, this multitude of opinions from pro reviewers are more reliable than some bloke in his car, right?

Also, isn't it funny how SJW's get worked up about the slightest thing? By the way, my feelings were seriously hurt when they shot the big ghost in the dick

Also Ghostbusters as a concept is just so fun. It's a great idea with so many ways it can be done.

I'm down for the multiple teams idea.

Hollywood makes new movies all the time. Remakes have been around since time immemorial

I think the issue is that it's more difficult to get movies like Star Wars off of the ground nowadays, not that it was easy back then, but studios were willing to take risks. Most of the big movies are based on something whether it is a sequel or remake or adaptation. That's my issue with remakes. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the occasional Ocean's Eleven.

I don't care about the scores, I just want it to tank at the box office and Ben Hur as well. I hope all remakes and reboots tank so terribly, that Hollywood is finally forced to make new movies.

Maybe they even let Morgan Freeman start his Rendezvous with Rama movie for example.

Swiss Army Man and The Shallows just recently came out.

SpaceWolf

Banned
We all know in our heart of hearts that this is going to lead to a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe.

Ghostbusters (2016).
Ghostbusters: B Team (2018)
Ghostbusters 2: Venkman Returns (2019)
Ghostbusters Origins: Slimer. (2019)
Ghostbusters; B Team 2 (2020).
Ghostbusters: Cats and Dogs (2021, Team Crossover)

We all know in our heart of hearts that this is going to lead to a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe.

Good. It's about time. Not like Dan Aykroyd hasn't been trying to make it a franchise for 30 years or anything.

In the event that you're joking, BTW, Sony has come out and explicitly stated that what they want to do. They set up a new studio, GhostCorps, specifically for that purpose.

I'm a bit confused, guys...that negative video hit the front page of Reddit straight away, but none of the glowing or "it's okay" reviews are anywhere to be seen. How can this be? Surely, this multitude of opinions from pro reviewers are more reliable than some bloke in his car, right?

Wasn't it also the only review at the time, from someone that had a decent-sized following?

With all the reviews coming out now, the attention will be distributed among them instead of on a single one.

Trokil

Banned
This idea that somehow remakes or sequels existing prevents original ideas from being made is so ridiculous and needs to go away forever.

You know what else gets made by the truckload every year? A bunch of shit. And I'd rather spend my money on a good movie even if it's a sequel or a reboot than some piece of shit garbage original movie.

But you will not find out if it is a good or a bad movie, if it is not made.

Hollywood neither has unlimited resources nor unlimited manpower. If actors and the crew are making a Ben Hur remake, they can not work on a new movie at the same time.

So yes, remakes prevent new movies to be made, just by not having enough money to finance several movies, so you will go for the safe route and maybe not finance the risky project which could be a movie about a loud mouth comic book superhero or about talking animals.

Swiss Army Man and The Shallows just recently came out.

And I will watch them both.

To be fair that guy in the car is probably a far better barometer for how the average schmoe on Reddit will think of the film compared to any of the various top critics. Also extreme hate or love gets far more attention then a wave of "it's okay" that we've mostly gotten today.

So it's an alright movie like pretty much most modern, easily consumable, fun, pop-corn summer blockbusters? The crazy thing about this whole thing is how the original Ghostbusters franchise is treated with such reverence by some people. It's not Star Wars. It's not The Godfather. It's Ghostbusters. It's a franchise that's on the same comedic level as stuff like, at best, Stripes and, at worst, Police Academy. Also ghostbusters 2 was mediocre. There, I said it.

Star Wars is a just a camp kids movie that wasn't as good as the adult films it was paying homage to.

I think the issue is that it's more difficult to get movies like Star Wars off of the ground nowadays, not that it was easy back then, but studios were willing to take risks. Most of the big movies are based on something whether it is a sequel or remake or adaptation. That's my issue with remakes. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the occasional Ocean's Eleven.

I mean I guess but Star Wars wasn't a risk at the time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So pretty much as expected, a fairly mediocre film, not super terrible but nothing to really care about, which is kinda what I've been getting from the trailers.

Man, the creator of Minecraft REALLY hates this movie. Dude is ranting on twitter about it a little.

https://twitter.com/notch

Also rightwing bloggers like Milos Yiannollopawhatever are really hoping it tanks lol.

You might as well lump notch in with the right wing bloggers tbh :lol. Relevant link

kadotsu

Banned
If the movie ended up decent like the reviews suggest then Sony needs to rethink their trailers because they made the movie look like a garbage fire.

Jazzem

If the movie ended up decent like the reviews suggest then Sony needs to rethink their trailers because they made the movie look like a garbage fire.

This, I'm seriously starting to wonder if the trailers are representative at all of the movie's tone+style of humour...it really can't be overstated how wretched they were!

jkVflVe.gif

Thread has hit full throttle now

Buckle up, GAF

Man, the creator of Minecraft REALLY hates this movie. Dude is ranting on twitter about it a little.

https://twitter.com/notch

Also rightwing bloggers like Milos Yiannollopawhatever are really hoping it tanks lol.

Notch is not a good person so that's no surprise this is funny as hell, in tje so stupid sense :

@gilgamesh310 feminism was one of the best things to happen to equality ever. These days it's been taken over by reptilians.

Notch is pretty much a social moron.

I watched it earlier today an thought it was magnificent. I absolutely adore the original film (I also love Ghostbusters 2, which I saw before the original as a six year old) so it's great to see all the positive reviews.

Volimar

Ghostbusters (2016).

Ghostbusters 7: A Good Day To Slime

Also, isn't it funny how SJW's get worked up about the slightest thing? By the way, my feelings were seriously hurt when they shot the big ghost in the dick

Currently, the Hollywood Reporter review, easily the most negative review released by an official critic so far, is sitting at #4 on /r/movies. And the top comment is some BS mental gymnastics trying to justify how the HR review is somehow the most credible review released because HR is a trade mag and they wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

"It was cool when a guy in 21 Jump Street got shot in the dick, but now it's sexist because women are doing it! Only guys can shoot guys in the dick! #DickShootingPrivelege"

Ghostbusters (2016).

Like I said bring it on. The tech and concept make for so many possibilities.

Lothar

Banned

Reminder that some of the reviewers were incredibly defensive over those bad trailers. Like Faraci.

harSon

Banned
I wasn't too big on the trailers, but I'm glad that it turned out to be a decent enough film. Never really liked Ghostbusters, but I'm cheering for this film just because of the ridiculous hate it has received for merely existing. I'll catch it at the theatre at come point.

MrBadger

Wasn't it also the only review at the time, from someone that had a decent-sized following?

With all the reviews coming out now, the attention will be distributed among them instead of on a single one.

Yes, and that justifies the discussion that review got, but the sheer amount of attention that one review got is definitely in part because it confirmed the biases that people already had on the movie.

Harmen

Well, that sounds a lot better than what I was expecting! But I wonder if an "average" film is good enough to make a thriving cinematic universe.

From the trailers and the previous work of Feige I think this one will just not be for me. Will watch at a later point though, and hopefully I will be able to enjoy it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom