• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
Sony's American marketing division is bad plus it's hard to capture Paul Feig's "brand" of comedy in a trailer. It works better in context.

There's no context where the movie references in the trailer would be good.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
"The power of Christ compels you!"
"Thats gonna leave a mark"
"Say hello to my little friend!"

That is the shittiest of comedy writing.

Robot Pants

Slapshot!

wachie

Didn't see the review thread until now.

Surprised it's at 76% but that score could always go either way. Movie may exceed my very low expectations.

Timu

tumblr_n4wqljyJRi1qgojgxo1_250.gif

She is hot.
Yes, yes she is.

Froli

So the movie is a solid 7 so far. That's pretty good
Still waiting for Jeremy Jahns and Chris Stuckmann

And I guess this film defeats Batman V Superman in terms of ratings lol

Are you sure about that? Because from what I've seen & heard the outrage was about the fact that the trailers made the movie look like complete dogshit.

That fact that it had an all-female cast were the least of people's outrage about the movie.

Are their some people out there who hate the movie because it has women in it? Absolutely but does that represent the majority of people who don't like Ghostbusters? Absolutely not.

Anybody who is saying this isn't about women is either ignorant, stupid, or lying. This is the exact same kind of rhetoric GG used to mask that their movement was about game journalism and not that it was a hate movement against women.

B33

Banned

You haven't seen the new Ghostbusters, so you don't know the context and you don't know if those bits are even in the movie.

cr0w

Old Member
Anybody who is saying this isn't about women is either ignorant, stupid, or lying. This is the exact same kind of rhetoric GG used to mask that their movement was about game journalism and not that it was a hate movement against women.

^

As previously mentioned, the backlash started as soon as Feig tweeted that four actresses would be playing the leads. There was NOTHING out there about this movie other than that at that point, and that's when it started.

The assertion by some is that it's the same audience, essentially.

What same audience? The people shitting their pants with hate for this one are the same who defend BvS or what? I'm an unapologetic champion for BvS, and I've never been anything but open minded about GB. I think people are trying way too hard to associate the two.

Sanjuro

Everything regarding this film is about women?

Are you talking about the very first Star Wars? Most major film studios passed on it and Fox was so sure it was going to flop, they essentially handed Lucas the key to the film's merchandising rights.

It was very much a risk at the time. Many people had no faith in the film whatsoever.

I mean the fact that they took it on despite believing it was going to flop is exactly why I said it wasn't a risk.

They saw it as a chance to bring Lucas of American Graffiti fame in to their director's stable and if making his little Star Wars movie would get that done, sure let's do it.

If a studio doesn't really care if the movie flops it's not a risk.

As previously mentioned, the backlash started as soon as Feig tweeted that four actresses would be playing the leads. There was NOTHING out there about this movie other than that at that point, and that's when it started..

What if those people weren't sexist? What if they just hated the idea of Ghostbusters being rebooted? Me, I like Ghostbusters, but can't stand Feig's female-led comedies. That doesn't make me sexist, that just means I hate a certain type of comedy.

Whether that means I or anyone else was wrong in the jumping to the conclusion this would be bad, that doesn't mean that all the backlash for this film stemmed form a hatred of women.

I mean the fact that they took it on despite believing it was going to flop is exactly why I said it wasn't a risk.

They saw it as a chance to bring Lucas of American Graffiti fame in to their director's stable and if making his little Star Wars movie would get that done, sure let's do it.

If a studio doesn't really care if the movie flops it's not a risk.

Losing money on something is always a risk.

Nope of course not, but the vocal seem to be.

But that poster said no-one gave a toss about this film until the all female cast was announced. I give up...

Personally, I wish both the "anti female cast" crowd and the "Reboot Defence Force" would shut the fuck up and fuck the fuck off. Can't we just discuss if the actual film is any good?

B33

Banned
Everything regarding this film is about women?

So everyone who isn't excited by the idea of this film is sexist?

What if those people weren't sexist? What if they just hated the idea of Ghostbusters being rebooted? Me, I like Ghostbusters, but can't stand Feig's female-led comedies. That doesn't make me sexist, that just means I hate a certain type of comedy.

Whether that means I or anyone else was wrong in the jumping to the conclusion this would be bad, that doesn't mean that all the backlash for this film stemmed form a hatred of women.

It's not people not being interested in the remake that's being criticized. It's the degree of the negative response that's being scrutinized and for good reason. The backlash this project has spawned is deplorable.

The vitriol being lobbed at this movie is because of a bias against women. You can argue semantics and try to mitigate the sexism by playing the "NOT ALL..." card, but it's flimsy.

There have been a slew of remakes in Hollywood. Why is this particular project invoking so much hatred? Why is this the film the one that's spawned countless death threats against the cast and crew?

You're willfully being ignorant if you think sexism isn't a problem.

cr0w

Old Member

If they were bitching at the announcement that it was being made period, you're right. There was just a massive amount of hatred that came out as soon as he announced the cast that wasn't there before, despite any anti-remake grumblings.

As per usual, that's not the whole story, it's just the one that's garnered the most reaction.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seems like the movie is good enough. Can't wait to see it :)

I also, I called that this movie will be better / better reviewed than GB2 at the very least (which has 50% on Rotten)

Aske

Sounds like the film plays it very safe, which is probably very sensible after all the bullshit controversy during production. Not especially polarising, just a workmanlike action comedy that cannot be accused of being terrible.

I'm now all but certain I'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more than BvS. There's a sentence that six months ago I never thought I'd type.

^

As previously mentioned, the backlash started as soon as Feig tweeted that four actresses would be playing the leads. There was NOTHING out there about this movie other than that at that point, and that's when it started.

That's the thing, the backlash started when they announced an all-women cast, but it was like a school bus picking up more and more kids as it went along.

Some people were fine with them being women, but not fine with the specific casting.

Some people jumped on when they announced that the old Ghostbusters wouldn't even have cameos.

Or when details of the plot came out and it sounded like a spoof of one of those ghost hunter TV shows, which sounded like a really lazy premise.

Or when that really bad trailer came out. And a lot of people said it looked bad.

Because it looked really bad. It's correct to acknowledge that the people who got the ball rolling were mostly spurred on by misogyny, but at a certain point there were enough red flags that I think it was OK for regular Ghostbusters and comedy fans to raise an eyebrow without being lumped into the He Man Woman Haters Club.

5a3c2ca7df9f652bf55224e7766859a0.jpg

Spoilering just to be safe

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/ghostbusters-review-melissa-mccarthy-1201810318/

In an unnecessary nod to fans, Feig resurrects nearly every actor or entity from the 32-year-old original — except for Ramis, who died last year, and the all-but-retired Rick Moranis — while leaving little room for memorable new spirits (stay through the end credits to hear even Zuul’s name invoked).

This actually makes me happy. I was avoid at all costs because of those horrible trailers but I'll see it for nostalgia. Why not.

B33

Banned
That's the thing, the backlash started when they announced an all-women cast, but it was like a school bus picking up more and more kids as it went along.

Some people were fine with them being women, but not fine with the specific casting.

Some people jumped on when they announced that the old Ghostbusters wouldn't even have cameos.

Or when details of the plot came out and it sounded like a spoof of one of those ghost hunter TV shows, which sounded like a really lazy premise.

Or when that really bad trailer came out. And a lot of people said it looked bad.

Because it looked really bad. It's correct to acknowledge that the people who got the ball rolling were mostly spurred on by misogyny, but at a certain point there were enough red flags that I think it was OK for regular Ghostbusters and comedy fans to raise an eyebrow without being lumped into the He Man Woman Haters Club.

5a3c2ca7df9f652bf55224e7766859a0.jpg

Fans have been hypercritical of a project they otherwise wouldn't have given a fuck enough about to criticize had it not been for the fact that Paul Feig cast four women as the leads.

Losing money on something is always a risk.

Again I think being willing to fund something you absolutely believe will flop is basically not giving a shit and not treating it like a risk.

It's not like they weren't sure but were willing to give itva go, they absolutely believed it would fail. They saw it more like buying Lucas for the future.

Lothar

Banned
If they were bitching at the announcement that it was being made period, you're right. There was just a massive amount of hatred that came out as soon as he announced the cast that wasn't there before, despite any anti-remake grumblings.

As per usual, that's not the whole story, it's just the one that's garnered the most reaction.

Maybe people were just reacting to a terrible cast. Here, people were excited before the cast was announced but everyone was saying anyone but Melissa McCarthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom