• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the Ghostbusters subreddit. So much spinning...

Yeah nevermind. I was giving them credit fir talking down that post linked but the rest is them ignoring any good, posting all the bad and then calling all the good shills.

Fucking lol.

They don't know it's bad. They are actively rooting for it to be so. How fucking sad is that

KingV

Ray: You mean you never even had a Slinky?
Egon: We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

Just watched it again today. It starts slow, and ends badly, but has some good stuff in the middle.

Egon: I would like to examine the mother gynecological oh
Peter: who wouldn't?

wetwired

It's still on Steam, IIRC.

Yeah I have it, just not a remastered version. It'd be nice if it were kept up to date with tech, it'd be shame for it to eventually be lost to time or new gamers because of it's age. Considering it has voice talent from the original crew before Ramis's death.

sDukG7ml.png

This is an actual up voted post there.

WaterAstro

I knew people overblew that trailer. It didn't look bad at all when I first saw it in the doom and gloom thread.

I expected it to do decently, but it seems to be doing critically better than I had anticipated.

Even if this were an actual choice being imposed on people, which it wasn't, it is sad as hell how many people chose "Be a misogynist." I mean why wouldn't just you endorse the film, given that choice?

Okay, maybe that is even sadder. Jesus christ.

Nah the one I posted is sadder bevause it's the up voted the other one was down voted...though mostly because they believe he's a troll pretending to be anti-remake to make their sub look bad... as if they needed helo lol.

Volimar

Ghostbusters II is by no means as good as the original film, but I'd hardly call it garbage.

Give me that courtroom scene and dancing toaster any day of the week. I forgot about the "...mainly Vigo's" line until this thread just now, too.

The alien with the room at the holiday inn. I loved that movie.

The sad/funny thing about the conspiracy theories/ damage control spin that GB2016 is getting better scores and more recommendations because of the back lash and not wanting to be viewed as misogynistic or w/e is that had the people who are angry at the film for existing hadn't made such a stink in the first place the film would have apparently reviewed worse. How stupid do you feel now that you caused the film to score better and likely make more money then if you hadn't said anything at all in the first place. Again this is hypothetical I'm pretty sure for the most part the film would have scored this fine-good rt% regardless of if there had been a back lash wave and the amount of reviewers who might have been kinder on the film probably isn't significant enough to impact the average since it was probably balanced out by people who were pre destined to hate it.

MrBadger

The Ghostbusters subreddit is utterly pathetic lmao

The entire front page is just all the negative reviews and a bunch of comments that "knew it would be bad".

My favourites are the comments like "I didn't want it to be bad, but it's really fucking bad. No, I haven't seen it".

ArjanN

The courtroom scene is the only good scene in the film. The rest of it is forced nonsense at best, lifeless drek at worst. It's the worst sequel to a great first film in the modern era, IMO, in terms of how much of a dropoff it is. The studio had no idea what made the first one work at all. It's possible nobody involved did, really, as the original has a "lightning in a bottle" quality that makes it far more than the sum of its parts.

I never had any doubt this reboot would be better than 2. Anything would have been better than 2, even a creaky Aykroyd-helmed 3 with only Ray and Winston returning.

While clearly not as good as 1 I think Ghostbusters 2 was actually better than the average movie sequel, which admittedly isn't a high bar at all.

I can see a 6.5 rating and $500 million worldwide max for GhostBusters ('16). I can also see them doing a spin-off with two men and two women which will do better.

Trokil

Banned
I can see a 6.5 rating and $500 million worldwide max for GhostBusters ('16).

We will see. Usually with movies like Ghostbusters it is the core audience which makes it successful. We will see, if they still jump on the movie or if another audience will step in.

Alienous

The Ghostbusters subreddit is utterly pathetic lmao

The entire front page is just all the negative reviews and a bunch of comments that "knew it would be bad".

My favourites are the comments like "I didn't want it to be bad, but it's really fucking bad. No, I haven't seen it".

I don't see what's pathetic. I'd feel vindicated by any negative reviews if my stance before release, due to pre-release media, was that the film would probably be bad, and that opinion was challenged by insinuating it was rooted in sexism.

I so regret that I said ‘in the geek community’, because what I know now, having sorted it out, is these are not true members of the geek community.

C'mon dude. I always see this shit when trolls are around, 'The people who like this thing but are assholes aren't real fans.' Sure, they're fans, they're also assholes. Being a geek doesn't preclude you from being a douche, and saying otherwise is just an overt massaging of your consumers ego. You can just say 'There are these assholes who want to have a problem with anything we do'.

That said Feig and co. have been getting this shit for months so I can't blame him for throwing out a usual response.

If the film bombs, it won't be due to the lack of male leads.

I totally agree but I've some people that if it was a spilt between the two sexes, they would have probably gone and watched GB.

We will see. Usually with movies like Ghostbusters it is the core audience which makes it successful. We will see, if they still jump on the movie or if another audience will step in.

What core, the old? I think a new audience will save this movie.

smudge

The furor around this film has made me even more irked at modern pop culture. I haven't seen a decent reboot/remake of a classic film yet. So now I just tend to skip them, I'd rather spend my time/money watching something original.

The furor around this film has made me even more irked at modern pop culture. I haven't seen a decent reboot/remake of a classic film yet. So now I just tend to skip them, I'd rather spend my time/money watching something original.

fury road? creed?

both are sequels but arguably reboots in a sense too.

Sanjuro

fury road? creed?

both are sequels but arguably reboots in a sense too.

In the case of Mad Max: Fury Road, I wonder if the agenda would have been drastically different if the film was portrayed as a female driven narrative earlier. Any and all outcry for the film picked up at the time of release.

Busty

Banned
I can see a 6.5 rating and $500 million worldwide max for GhostBusters ('16). I can also see them doing a spin-off with two men and two women which will do better.

unnamed-61.gif

I don't think Ghostbusters, as an IP, will ever be a successful franchise in this day and age never mind the cinematic universe that the studio obviously hopes/thinks it will.

smudge

Ocean's Eleven, True Grit, Planet of the Apes...

there's a lot of reboots/remakes better than the original.

I enjoyed True Grit, I do prefer the original Planet of the Apes though. Maybe I'm just an old grumpy bastard when it comes to these things. :)

It's rare I enjoy a modern Hollywood film though, most are just complete trash to me.

lol i think he means rise of the planet of the apes instead of the tim burton/marky mark flick...i hope.

though i don't think that was better than the original either. but dawn was imo.

and yeah forgot about ocean's eleven, and scarface too. though the rat pack movie was kinda wack so i guess it's not a classic right?

RS4-

I'll watch it. I haven't seen the original films, start to finish, since they came out. Not sure if I'll have the time to do it before GB16 is out here.

Oersted

lol i think he means rise of the planet of the apes instead of the tim burton/marky mark flick...i hope.

though i don't think that was better than the original either. but dawn was imo.

and yeah forgot about ocean's eleven, and scarface too. though the rat pack movie was kinda wack so i guess it's not a classic right?

Rise is dumb and better made than OG Apes.

OG is a really dumb guilty pleasure elevated by that plottwist.

Dawn is the highlight so far.

Sanjuro

I still like the original, but most of the sequels are all different creatures. They have a pretty big level of variety and feel unique.

Except for the film where Burton APED the original concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom