• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's actually quite pompous, and as for being a great critic...eh, he's really hit and miss. This is a guy who said that the Lego Movie is better than 2 out of the 3 Toy Story films.

I appreciate how hard he fights for his convictions, though.

What's wrong with suggesting that the Lego Movie is better than a Toy Story film? I don't think those films are untouchable. Lego Movie was fantastic.

He's actually quite pompous, and as for being a great critic...eh, he's really hit and miss. This is a guy who said that the Lego Movie is better than 2 out of the 3 Toy Story films.

I appreciate how hard he fights for his convictions, though.

I don't think that's a crazy opinion. If I was to rank those 4 films, I'd say: Toy Story 2 > Toy Story 3 = Lego Movie > Toy Story 1.

Backflip

I haven't seen the movie yet,but I plan to as soon as it's released where I live. But I just want to say how I feel right now as a man who has loved Ghostbusters ever since the late 80s.

I've waited for years for a GB3 to be made and I'm mad that Feig chose to take the reboot route. I truly believe that he could have done a movie he was proud of while having the old guard pass the torch to the new team in it. I don't mind the fact that the new team is an all women one. I've never had a problem with women being Ghostbusters. In fact, I asked for a Janine action figure for my birthday back in the Real Ghostbusters days. She was always a Ghostbuster as far as I was concerned.

I think that having the old actors play news characters in this new movie is insulting to the old fans such as myself. With this movie, it looks like Feig is saying "suck it GB fans, I got my way." Who really wants to see Bill Murray play someone other than Peter Venkman in a Ghostbusters movie? Didn't anybody find weird that when they had the old cast and the new cast on Kimmel a few weeks ago, they never said that the old cast were in the movie playing new characters? They keep trying to deceive people with the reboot.

Another thing that irks me the wrong way is the weapons you can see in the trailers. Proton Guns. Proton Boxing Gloves. Really? The Ghostbusters were never badasses with cool weapons. Just scientists and a former soldier trying to catch some ghosts. In one trailer you can see Kate McKinnon's character licking the gun for crying out loud! And that's too bad as I think that her character looks to be the best of the four. It's like Feig doesn't understand what the tone of Ghostbusters is! And don't get me started on Wiig doing barrel rolls with the Proton Pack on her back...

I also must say that the acting and the jokes look really bad. Why is Leslie Jones overacting all her lines? And why didn't she get to be one of the scientists? They could have given her role to Wiig and vice-versa don't you think. And what about Hemsworth's "joke" of the phone in the fish tank. Who can honestly say that this is funny?

I've read quite a few reviews yesterday. And I must say that all the positive ones I've read were trying very hard to try to make the movie look good and make the haters look like fools. Just looking at the trailers, do you guys truly believe that there will be 30th anniversary screenings of the Ghostbusters reboot 30 years from now?

I just wanted to state my point of view because right now, it's either you scream "greatest movie ever" or your labelled as a misogynist. It's like the opinion of people like me, who don't mind the female cast but don't think the movie looks good, doesn't count.

I don't think that's a crazy opinion. If I was to rank those 4 films, I'd say: Toy Story 2 > Toy Story 3 = Lego Movie > Toy Story 1.

Eh, it's probably just me. I think the Lego Movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as the Toy Story films, which are classic and quite timeless.

The Lego Movie was fun for what it was, but it certainly doesn't hold up as well as those films.

Source? I don't think he knew who AVGN was before he posted that rant.

No, I meant since the rant. He's been the most vocal person tossing insults and personal jabs at Rolfe since the video, while most everyone else has moved on and doesn't care anymore. I assume his problem is either personal, or he just isn't familiar with Rolfe's work beyond the fact that he has the words "angry" and "nerd" in his comedy show persona and assumes he must be involved in all the Gamergate bullshit that's happened recently and thus hates women. Which, as anyone familiar with him at all knows, is absolutely untrue.

I just wanted to state my point of view because right now, it's either you scream "greatest movie ever" or your labelled as a misogynist. It's like the opinion of people like me, who don't mind the female cast but don't think the movie looks good, doesn't count.

I really don't think this is the case. No one is labeling the negative reviews on rottentomatoes as misogyny.

I was frustrated with the idea of rebooting the franchise instead of just making it a continuation but Feig made a good point about having to write a film in a world where everyone already knew about ghosts versus one where the idea was unexplored and fresh. I think in his shoes I would take the latter as well. It creatively frees him up.

cr0w

Old Member
I think that having the old actors play news characters in this new movie is insulting to the old fans such as myself. With this movie, it looks like Feig is saying "suck it GB fans, I got my way." Who really wants to see Bill Murray play someone other than Peter Venkman in a Ghostbusters movie? Didn't anybody find weird that when they had the old cast and the new cast on Kimmel a few weeks ago, they never said that the old cast were in the movie playing new characters? They keep trying to deceive people with the reboot.

Another thing that irks me the wrong way is the weapons you can see in the trailers. Proton Guns. Proton Boxing Gloves. Really? The Ghostbusters were never badasses with cool weapons. Just scientists and a former soldier trying to catch some ghosts. In one trailer you can see Kate McKinnon's character licking the gun for crying out loud! And that's too bad as I think that her character looks to be the best of the four. It's like Feig doesn't understand what the tone of Ghostbusters is! And don't get me started on Wiig doing barrel rolls with the Proton Pack on her back...

1.) Having the original characters "pass the torch" would be an utter mistake, as forced connections to the original seem to be the reboot's weakest point. This is a world that hasn't seen this stuff before, as opposed to the OG world where this would be old hat by now. In order to have a fresh concept or a fresh story, they needed a new world.

2.) Ever watched Real Ghostbusters? This is more closely based on that than the OG films.

1.) Having the original characters "pass the torch" would be an utter mistake, as forced connections to the original seem to be the reboot's weakest point. This is a world that hasn't seen this stuff before, as opposed to the OG world where this would be old hat by now. In order to have a fresh concept or a fresh story, they needed a new world.

I was watching a bit of Ghostbusters 2 last night and I think it even struggles with the concept in the sequel. It had to dial the team back to a point with them being treated like a bit of a joke and people even denying the events of the first film happened. Yeah, I think Feig was right to avoid all of that baggage.

gamz

It's an article calling someone sexist for not wanting to see it based on a lousy trailer. It's disgusting.

Why would a reviewer base his opinions on a trailer? I'm not familiar with him but that just flat out absurd, and how in the world would you take him seriously?

Backflip

2.) Ever watched Real Ghostbusters? This is more closely based on that than the OG films.

I don't see why it had to be a new world. It's the easy way out as it allows Feig to retell the story of the original movie with a few changes.

I loved the Real Ghostbusters as a child. But that new movie clearly isn't targetting the same audience as the cartoon did back in the day.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm seeing Jill Pantilozzi and Donna Dickens, amongst others, declaring victory. The movie hasn't been released yet, and there's a good chance it might get beat by The Secret Life Of Pets this weekend, not to mention the Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes averages.

I'm not sure if I want to break it to them.

That isn't what he said at all and you know it.

It makes it hard to talk about sexism when you've got folks breathing down your neck going: "That's disgusting!" at every suggestion that something could be sexist. Thing is, to err is to be human. No one that's suggesting there is possibly some "soft sexism" here is saying Rolfe is a terrible or reprehensible person. We're simply criticizing his work in the same way that he's criticizing the work of Paul Feig. Except, hold on, we at least watched the work in question before criticizing it.

I'm seeing Jill Pantilozzi and Donna Dickens, amongst others, declaring victory. The movie hasn't been released yet, and there's a good chance it might get beat by The Secret Life Of Pets this weekend, not to mention the Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes averages.

I'm not sure if I want to break it to them.

Unless you're a primary stakeholder in Sony, it really means nada

Lothar

Banned
Why would a reviewer base his opinions on a trailer? I'm not familiar with him but that just flat out absurd, and how in the world would you take him seriously?

Yeah, I don't know how could take someone seriously as a reviewer if they thought it was a good trailer, let alone if they call someone sexist for not liking it.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about Faraci or AVGN? I assumed you were talking about Faraci because AVGN isn't a movie reviewer. But earlier you agreed with the article.

Yeah, I don't know how could take someone seriously as a reviewer if they thought it was a good trailer, let alone if they call someone sexist for not liking it.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about Faraci or AVGN? I assumed you were talking about Faraci because AVGN isn't a movie reviewer. But earlier you agreed with the article.

I don't know why people who defend AVGN do so by belittling his work. He absolutely is a movie reviewer and to suggest he isn't is an insult to him. He has over 300 film reviews cataloged on his website.

Faraci is clear that he doesn't like the trailer, but is open to seeing the film and--as with all films he sees--hopes it will be good. He's examining why a large number of fanboys shun and smear this Ghostbusters to the point where they refuse to watch the movie and hope it fails.

It makes it hard to talk about sexism when you've got folks breathing down your neck going: "That's disgusting!" at every suggestion that something could be sexist. Thing is, to err is to be human. No one that's suggesting there is possibly some "soft sexism" here is saying Rolfe is a terrible or reprehensible person. We're simply criticizing his work in the same way that he's criticizing the work of Paul Feig. Except, hold on, we at least watched the work in question before criticizing it.

Accusations of bigotry are pretty strong accusations, especially if there is no basis behind it beyond "well, he doesn't wanna see the female Ghostbusters movie". Yeah, that is pretty gross.

Bigotry is gross. Accusing a person of bigotry for the sake of clicks is also gross. Both things are gross.

capawe

Neo Member
Rotten Tomatoes now at 78%. The haters have their work cut out for them.

Here's the work.

Not only that but I have seen people say that reviews are only this high because reviewers are scared to make "the SJW" angry. Or just straight up saying that Sony paid off everyone. And there are, of course, the people who are going "there was never any backlash in the first place ".

I haven't seen the movie yet,but I plan to as soon as it's released where I live. But I just want to say how I feel right now as a man who has loved Ghostbusters ever since the late 80s.

I've waited for years for a GB3 to be made and I'm mad that Feig chose to take the reboot route. I truly believe that he could have done a movie he was proud of while having the old guard pass the torch to the new team in it. I don't mind the fact that the new team is an all women one. I've never had a problem with women being Ghostbusters. In fact, I asked for a Janine action figure for my birthday back in the Real Ghostbusters days. She was always a Ghostbuster as far as I was concerned.

I also must say that the acting and the jokes look really bad. Why is Leslie Jones overacting all her lines? And why didn't she get to be one of the scientists? They could have given her role to Wiig and vice-versa don't you think. And what about Hemsworth's "joke" of the phone in the fish tank. Who can honestly say that this is funny?

I've read quite a few reviews yesterday. And I must say that all the positive ones I've read were trying very hard to try to make the movie look good and make the haters look like fools. Just looking at the trailers, do you guys truly believe that there will be 30th anniversary screenings of the Ghostbusters reboot 30 years from now?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhshhshshshshahahahahhahahahahshahshshsha.

There is so much to highlight and pick apart..I can't even..

KingKong

I have to say the rise of the youtube reviewer is baffling to me. Who are these people eagerly watching 10 minutes of someone whose only credentials are being into comic books discuss films

The Rolfe thing is so weird.

I am a big Marvel and Fantastic Four fan but the trailers for the latest FF film were terrible so I didn't go and see it in theater. I don't think my reasoning is that far off from Rolfe's in that respect.

I do think going online and making a thing out of it does make him look like a bit of a tool though. Sexist, I'm not sure, but I think it was a bad idea to take such a hard vocal stance against seeing it.

gamz

I was obviously talking about AVGN. If he doesn't do movie reviews why "Ghostbusters 2016. No Review. I Refuse." title for his rant video? That's even more odd if he doesn't do movie reviews in the first place. *shrugs*

I don't know why people who defend AVGN do so by belittling his work. He absolutely is a movie reviewer and to suggest he isn't is an insult to him. He has over 300 film reviews cataloged on his website.

eh, the majority of those are from Monster Madness. Every year, he makes a video for every day in October talking about old horror movies to celebrate Halloween. And he's been doing it for like nine years now.

barit

I thought that was a given. The Tim Burton one was abysmal. Rise and Dawn were excellent and IMHO better than the Charlton Heston movies.

The sequels yes I give u that but not the first movie. Context is what always matters when we talk about classics. Star Wars A New Hope in 2016 wouldn't make anyone jump out of their seats but in 1977 it blew everyone away. The same goes for Planet of Apes. The first one had some special make-up technic that were revolutionary at that time. So with that in mind I prefer the classic.

Dunno if I'm gonna watch the new Ghostbusters. Maybe when it hits Netflix/Amazon Prime or Free TV or something like that

Does it matter?

Of fuckin course it does, lol. There's no way in hell accusing police of being bigots on the same level of actual targeted discrimination/violence/incrimination.

Like damn some of ya'll in such a fucking rush to be oppressed. Even the idea of being accussed of doing something bad got ya'll up in arms.

I am a big Marvel and Fantastic Four fan but the trailers for the latest FF film were terrible so I didn't go and see it in theater. I don't think my reasoning is that far off from Rolfe's in that respect.

I do think going online and making a thing out of it does make him look like a bit of a tool though. Sexist, I'm not sure, but I think it was a bad idea to take such a hard vocal stance against seeing it.

I am sure Rolfe didn't make a video about NOT watching F4 when it releases. That's the thing.

Blader

I like Devin more than I don't and generally agree with his opinions, but this part of his review sent my eyes a-rollin':

The sound and the fury has only increased as the movie has gotten closer to release, and in many ways this new Ghostbusters has transformed from just a movie to a political stance - your thoughts on feminism and progress are defined by whether or not you’ll give this film a fair shake.

Come on already. Somebody's progressive/feminist values in life are not defined by whether or not they go to see this movie.

Clearly you were just a big racist and couldn't accept the idea of a black Johnny Storm!

Trokil

Banned
I have to say the rise of the youtube reviewer is baffling to me. Who are these people eagerly watching 10 minutes of someone whose only credentials are being into comic books discuss films

Well gaming and a lot of movie journalisms started to move away from the people, so they searched for other sources. And everything is just talking head journalisms anyway, people tend to look for people with the same opinion. And look at it, if up to 50% or more of a movie review is not about the movie, of course people move on. They already did that in gaming journalism and that has already become total irrelevant.

Of fuckin course it does, lol. There's no way in hell accusing police of being bigots on the same level of actual targeted discrimination/violence/incrimination.

Like damn some of ya'll in such a fucking rush to be oppressed. Even the idea of being accussed of doing something bad got ya'll up in arms.

Nobody is saying one is equal to the other and I'm not sure why you think that even matters. But disgusting behavior is still disgusting.

KingV

I really don't think this is the case. No one is labeling the negative reviews on rottentomatoes as misogyny.

I was frustrated with the idea of rebooting the franchise instead of just making it a continuation but Feig made a good point about having to write a film in a world where everyone already knew about ghosts versus one where the idea was unexplored and fresh. I think in his shoes I would take the latter as well. It creatively frees him up.

After reading the reviews, I actually think the reboot might have been more limiting in some ways because it sounds like the movie is sort of weighed down by having to constantly justify itself as "still ghostbusters". I think a Jurassic World style sequel where they acknowledge that these past events happened to some degree, but the Ghostbusters have disappeared, there hasn't been anything supernatural since, and society has become more skeptical over the last 30 years, and he would have had more freedom to say "hey this is a new team that has a new way of doing things, had to develop their own tech, etc. But that original team is still out there... Somewhere."

Then in a post credits scene, the old Ghostbusters step through the portal in the film, and the new GB rescued them from a bust that went wrong 30 years ago. And the old guard effectively retire, because hey, they are old men now, and Egon is a ghost, and he looks like Peoplebuster Egon from the cartoon. And there you go. You can effectively have the same movie, without the requirement of writing in parts for each person in the original, and a nice bit of fan service for the people building their own proton packs in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom