• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron_bato

Little girls were dressed as Ghostbusters dancing in the aisles before the movie started

Warms my fucking heart. I wanted to be a ghostbuster growing up, I had the toys, the lunch boxes, the backpack, watched the cartoons, rewatched the movies maybe once a year.

Glad that a whole new generation is going to grow up with new ghostbusters.

I'm watching on saturday (it opens on the 15th here - whyyyyyyyyyyyyy), was going to watch regardless of how the reviews went, so I'm pretty pleased that it's turning out to be pretty decent.

mreddie

WrecklessEating did a follow up of the Ghostbusters review and he has literally described all points men are acting stupid in the film.

Also, he got bitched at for breaking embargo, he said, I didn't sign shit so fuck off.

mattp

I think that having the old actors play news characters in this new movie is insulting to the old fans such as myself. With this movie, it looks like Feig is saying "suck it GB fans, I got my way." Who really wants to see Bill Murray play someone other than Peter Venkman in a Ghostbusters movie? Didn't anybody find weird that when they had the old cast and the new cast on Kimmel a few weeks ago, they never said that the old cast were in the movie playing new characters? They keep trying to deceive people with the reboot.

*eyeroll*

insulting?

Balboa

Just came back from seeing this at the cinema in the UK, love the original to bits and thoroughly enjoyed this one as well.

There was the odd moment here and there that I didn't like so much but overall it's a pretty good film.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ha, 80%! I really thought this was going to be awful, pleasant surprise knowing there's a chance it could be pretty good. :3

SnowHawk

Just got back from watching this and it is basically The Real Ghostbusters movie.

It exceeded my expectations and it didn't destroy my childhood memories of the original movies.

I'm so glad that it's doing well in the reviews.

Is this actually true? When the script leaked, and someone did a write up of it, they assumed Jones' role was the one that fit for McCarthy, but I don't think that was ever confirmed unless I missed it.

Interview with Empire

That all happened shortly after Empire spoke to Feig for this piece, in which he addressed the casting of Jones as Patty. And he started with something of a surprise. “Actually, when Katie [Dippold, Feig’s co-writer] and I wrote the script, we had written the role with Melissa in mind, but then I thought I’ve seen Melissa play a brash, larger than life character. She’s done it in my movies before!”

A big fan of Saturday Night Live, Feig thought of Jones, who’s been a regular on the show since 2014. “She’s one of my favourite people on the planet,” he says. “I don’t normally like comedy that’s big and loud, but she is able to pull that off in a way that feels real and it’s her. And when I make a movie, I want to find the funniest people I know and once I know what’s the funniest thing about them I want that to be the thing that I put on screen and let shine. This is the role that Leslie can shine comedically in. If you’ve ever seen her do stand-up, it’s just who she is. I wanted to unleash Leslie on the public in the same way we unleashed Melissa on the public in Bridesmaids, with a very showy role.”

Oddly enough, I think Faraci was the one who made the Patty = McCarthy guess originally, so the interview vaguely vindicated him.

Just got back from watching this and it is basically The Real Ghostbusters movie.

It exceeded my expectations and it didn't destroy my childhood memories of the original movies.

I'm so glad that it's doing well in the reviews.

Oh, right. Out in the UK. Glad it's a solid film.

AkumaNiko

What i dont get is, why do reviews matter so much to people?

Its just a movie
Good or bad reviews wont actually affect my life in any way
If people dont like the movie, regardless of reviews, they wont go see it

I mean, there is a possibility it does not do well at the box office regardless of reviews.

I think keeping the movie in the same universe would have been better. You don't need Murray there to pass the torch. Have Akroyd be the Spock Prime of the movie. Also, we already got a solid Ghostbusters 3 in the video game

Huh I must be out of the loop. Thought that's what this is based on the first trailer mentioning the old Ghostbusters and that one character saying he's born to be a ghostbuster.

Sanjuro

Huh I must be out of the loop. Thought that's what this is based on the first trailer mentioning the old Ghostbusters and that one character saying he's born to be a ghostbuster.

That character is mentally handicapped.

He also comes up with the idea to fight the ghosts in the first place in another trailer.

Steroyd

The Rolfe thing is so weird.

I am a big Marvel and Fantastic Four fan but the trailers for the latest FF film were terrible so I didn't go and see it in theater. I don't think my reasoning is that far off from Rolfe's in that respect.

I do think going online and making a thing out of it does make him look like a bit of a tool though. Sexist, I'm not sure, but I think it was a bad idea to take such a hard vocal stance against seeing it.

That was more to address his fanbase more than anything he's a well documented ghostbusters fan so he would have got bombarded with requests to review it like I'm sure he would have the TMNT reboot.

That character is mentally handicapped.

He also comes up with the idea to fight the ghosts in the first place in another trailer.

I was assuming it's taking the Ghostbusters 2 thing further where no ghosts have been active in 25 or so years and everybody forgot, except that guy who never grew up.

Sanjuro

I was assuming it's taking the Ghostbusters 2 thing further where no ghosts have been active in 25 or so years and everybody forgot, except that guy who never grew up.

Nah. Kevin (Thor) is no Oscar.

If the film wasn't loaded with references, could have been a nice little cherry revelation that he was the same character, but due to possession or something he doesn't remember everything.

Zakalwe

Banned
What i dont get is, why do reviews matter so much to people?

Its just a movie
Good or bad reviews wont actually affect my life in any way
If people dont like the movie, regardless of reviews, they wont go see it

I mean, there is a possibility it does not do well at the box office regardless of reviews.

Some of it is celebration of the fact the trolls and malicious anti-crowd will have less ammunition.

And it's always better when a movie you're hoping will be good gets higher scores, even if scores aren't always guarantees.

thats pretty stupid.

We live in a world with so much hate and fear, but reviews to a movie is an important thing? Jesus, people need to get their priorities straight.

I mean, in a sane world. People would've looked at the announcement, casting, or trailer, decided they didn't want to see it and go about their business, like any of the many, many remakes and reboots. The vitriol on this has been way out there.

Elginer

Hyped to see this. No it sure as hell won't touch the classics but nice to see that the idea of Ghostbusters is being brought back for a new generation of kids to lose their shit over it like I did and still do.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It looked like an entertaining movie, and the four leads are genuinely funny actresses.

Me, my wife, my sister, and her teenage twins (boy and girl), are going to check it out at some point after it opens, but probably not opening weekend (we aren't a fan of crowds). I don't give a toss about reviews, but I'm surprised to see this doing as well as it seems to be. Not because I expected it to be bad, but I expected a lot of reviewers to be holding it up to the original, and docking it points for not managing to reach that level of cinematic masterpiece.

I am pleasantly surprised.

Also, I'm in it for Kate McKinnon. She's fucking hilarious, and I'm hoping this is the movie that gives her more attention. I was sold the moment I learned she was cast.

Hyped to see this. No it sure as hell won't touch the classics but nice to see that the idea of Ghostbusters is being brought back for a new generation of kids to lose their shit over it like I did and still do.

Won't be as good as the first, but from the sound of things I have no doubt it's at least better than 2.

Sanjuro

Just as long as as his replacement wasn't Lorenzo Music, of course.

Not that there's any possibility of that happening now :(

I still haven't seen a confirmation that he actually was the reason he was fired, outside of a comment that he noticed the voice sounded similar. I would have loved a real story of Bill arriving at the production studios and prompting a fight with the voice actor.

Sanjuro

That probably has to do with James' general feelings of disinterest towards modern video games.

Rarely ever see him play anything new. In fact, him and Mike rarely play anything beyond NES era.

It's a licensed game from Activision. That's all I need to know. :p

Oh, but how I wish it were going to be even just decent.

I didn't pick up a copy of the game, but I didn't hear good things.

AkumaNiko

I mean, in a sane world. People would've looked at the announcement, casting, or trailer, decided they didn't want to see it and go about their business, like any of the many, many remakes and reboots. The vitriol on this has been way out there.

I mean i get some of the hate was because of the all female cast, (I dont mind it, big fan of Wiig's and McKinnon) But i always thought the majority of the hate came from rebooting it instead of making it in the same universe and it being GB 3.

Weird. GAF keeps telling me there is a new post in this thread from Brandon but I don't see it.

Edit: WTF?

GAF playing tricks with me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
damn right

IJW2FOO.gif

I love Ghostbusters 2, and for many reasons, but one reason above all else: Janosz Poha. Peter McNichols was fucking hilarious in that movie. Also, Bill Murray phoning it in is exactly why it's brilliant. Venkman has no interest in being involved in any of these shenanigans, but he does it anyway out of some weird loyalty, just like Bill Murray. And Winston got to do a little bit more, so that always makes me happy.

Ghostbusters 2 isn't Ghostbusters 1, but fuck did I love it when I saw it at age 10, and even now, I rewatch it at least once a year along with the original, because it's fun.

#stophatingGB2!

History will vindicate us one day. There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom