• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually read many review threads, so I'm not sure how they work. Is this "staring at the Tomato meter thing like an expectant parent" the norm?

Up to 60 reviews now on RT.

Oh shit a negative from Roeper, 1/4 stars lol

His review is reading like what most people seemed to fear, though most people now are accepting it as a new thing that isn't trying to be like the first one. I imagine many dissenters will latch onto this one.

This review will be all over Reddit with comment sections saying "I've always trusted Roeper more than any other critic"

Dalek

Up to 60 reviews now on RT.

Oh shit a negative from Roeper, 1/4 stars lol

His review is reading like what most people seemed to fear, though most people now are accepting it as a new thing that isn't trying to be like the first one. I imagine many dissenters will latch onto this one.

I like Richard Roeper as a person but his taste in movies has always been questionable to me. He savaged The Fellowship of the Ring when it came out. I remember that from when he and Ebert had their show.

His bio from the Ultimate GB book is hilarious. MacNicol came up with an intricate backstory for him, including a Moldavian flag which had a slogan that consisted entirely of consonants because they couldn't afford vowels and was a reverse of the "Don't Tread On Me" U.S. flag that featured a rattlesnake stepping on a man.

lol

This review will be all over Reddit with comment sections saying "I've always trusted Roeper more than any other critic"

Funny enough he gave BvS 3 out 4 heh.

That's a Convergence I want Ghostbusters cultists who also hate BvS (there's gotta be serious overlap there) using Roeper to justify on one hand and dismissing him on the other.

a916

I don't usually read many review threads, so I'm not sure how they work. Is this "staring at the Tomato meter thing like an expectant parent" the norm?

I would say it's more like watching your kid grow up.

At first there's promise... then a few bad reviews and suddenly your kid is terrible... then it grows into a 80 on RT and you're posting pictures on FB.

jstripes

Banned
Those fucking youtube comments lmao

20dp6If.png

Jazzem

Glad to see Janosh appreciation here :D

GB2 is a sloppy sequel in many ways but it still makes me laugh more than most comedies out there.

GhaleonEB

On the other hand, it has a 64/100 on Metacritic. Which is decent, what it seems a fun flick but nothing great.

Though in contrast, other summer blockbusters movies are Warcraft and Independence Day 2 (both with 32/100). So technically Ghostbusters is twice as good as them!

fake edit: I would like game reviews having the range of movies! I see there are scores from 18-22 to 90-97!

Again, the RT score and Metacritic are not comparable. If you are going to compare, use the RT rating, which is 6.5, in line with Metacritic.

Sanjuro

Glad to see Janosh appreciation here :D

GB2 is a sloppy sequel in many ways but it still makes me laugh more than most comedies out there.

Janosh and Louis are pretty much the only characters maintaining a pulse in the film. Once the Ghostbusters leave the courthouse they become pretty uninteresting.

Again, the RT score and Metacritic are not comparable. If you are going to compare, use the RT rating, which is 6.5, in line with Metacritic.

I know they are not comparable, that's why in fact I was mentioning MT scores in the first place, because they are different (and offer imo a more accurate view, from a statistical point, as the RT ratings).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ghostbusters 2 is rendered even more absurd when the a guy working at the psychiatric ward becomes the Mayor in a few years based on the events of the game.

Lol! I totally forgot about that.

...that seems like something Ghostbusters would do...

I think the franchise has always been absurd, but I had a special place in my heart for Ghostbusters 2.

I was 5 when the original came out in 1984, so I was a bit too young to really get some of the jokes, and I found it a bit scary, but I was entertained. I was 7 when The Real Ghostbusters cartoon released two years later, and that, for me, was really when my obsession with Ghostbusters took off. I absolutely loved that cartoon (up until Slimer took center stage in later seasons. sigh), so when the hype train for Ghostbusters 2 was picking up around '88 or so, I was beside myself. I bought the GB2 trading cards and gobbled up everything I could concerning the movie (not much in a pre-internet era, honestly). When the movie came out, I don't think I had ever been that excited for entertainment media ever in my life. I was 9 going on 10 when Ghostbusters 2 hit, and I loved it. More than the original, because I thought GB2 was funnier, and I liked the ghost designs more (they seemed more like The Real Ghostbusters than Ghostbusters 1).

As I got older, I just always took that love of GB2 I had as a child with me. The critic in me knows that Ghostbusters is the better, more original and better acted movie, but the 9 year old in me that loved The Real Ghostbusters and bought trading cards for GB2 will always love it.

Rewatching it as an adult has also had me appreciate a lot of the really great comedic moments in the movie. Actor deliveries, lines, etc. And also, I was a huge Bobby Brown fan, so "On Our Own," is probably one of my favorite songs of all time. XD

I just think GB2 gets a lot of hate from film nerds that put GB1 on a pedestal to the point where no sequel could possibly hope to attain that level of quality. GB2 is a good movie. A good Ghostbusters movie, but it just doesn't match the original. I feel like the best time to have made a Ghostbusters 3 would have been 1991 (like the game), because I honestly had no interested in seeing a movie set in 2016 with Bill Murray, Harold Ramis (had he not passed away), Ernie Hudson, and Dan Akyroyd in their late 60's, running around in Ghostbusters overalls and trying to be funny again. It just would have depressed me. Rebooting with new characters doesn't bother me. I think I would have been annoyed if they had rebooted Ghostbusters, and recast some actors to play Winston, Ray, Peter, and Egon. That probably would have actually made me angry, but I probably would have watched it anyway, because I'm a Ghostbusters fanatic. I like that they went with new characters.

Also, the Ghostbusters Sega Genesis game was awesome. I think I still have it in my closet with my Genesis, NES, and SNES. I should hook it up to my tv and play it one day...

I like Ghostbusters 2 a lot. I put it on the same level as other sequels to '80s classics like Die Hard 2, RoboCop 2, and The Karate Kid part II. Not nearly as good as the first, but still enjoyable when you're in the right mood.

Exactly. It's not as good as the first (how could it be, really?), but it's damn entertaining. I don't even have to make qualifiers of being in the right mood. It's just a fun, entertaining movie. I like a lot of bad movies, and a lot of good to amazing movies. Ghostbusters 2 is a good movie, even if every joke doesn't land. Even Ghostbusters 1 has jokes that don't land. Very few comedies have 100% perfect execution as far as getting a laugh the entire movie. Superbad and Tropic Thunder have a pretty high ratio, but even then, it's not 100%.

dOxUogW.gif

Actually there is something I need to know-- how does that possession scene actually play out in the movie? Just as cringey as in the first trailer, not as bad? That and the sliming part are the only things I didn't like from the trailers.

heyyyy I liked that scene a lot in the trailer

the way he cocks his head to the all crazy like gets me every time

Lothars

Omg that IMDB score.
This why i trust the critics and not the user reviews.
Meh IMDB score is notoriously unreliable for certain movies like the Dark Knight and possibly this one. Sometimes it's indicative of quality and others it's not just because someone made a campaign to either rate a movie very high or very low.

Zakalwe

Banned
IMDB is creeping up. RT is actually 6.5/10 at the moment. I think that's where it'll end up, somewhere between 7-6.

Sounds about right from what I've read, not incredible but a decent fun film with some excellent turns from the cast. Actually quite excited to see it now, especially after The Real Ghostbusters comparison!

Meh IMDB score is notoriously unreliable for certain movies like the Dark Knight and possibly this one. Sometimes it's indicative of quality and others it's not just because someone made a campaign to either rate a movie very high or very low.

Dark Knight really does deserve its score. It's the best superhero film, and one of the best films made in any genre imo.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I still really like the first two. But man, that third one. Well, at least Terry Silver was a wonderfully devilish cartoon villain. If nothing else.

Wow. I honestly don't remember KK3. I loved the first one growing up. Enjoyed the second one too, but fuck me if I don't remember the third at all. What was it about?

EDIT: Just wikipedia'd it. O_O

I don't remember that at all...

ZSeba

My favorite is the guy telling people to click on Top Critics to reveal the drop from All Critics. Because there is a conspiracy.

Doesn't he know that #allreviewsmatter?

These guys would have made conspiracy theories out of anything, they desperately want the movie to fail.

Any other outcome is the jews/sjw/liberal media conspiracy

cr0w

Old Member
Wow. I honestly don't remember KK3. I loved the first one growing up. Enjoyed the second one too, but fuck me if I don't remember the third at all. What was it about?

EDIT: Just wikipedia'd it. O_O

I don't remember that at all...

Yeah, it's not great. The bullies really do a number on Miyagi's bonsai shop.

GhaleonEB

I know they are not comparable, that's why in fact I was mentioning MT scores in the first place, because they are different (and offer imo a more accurate view, from a statistical point, as the RT ratings).

They don't offer a "more accurate view", they score something different than RT scores. RT is basically just how many reviewers would recommend a film, not the intensity of that recommendation (which is what MC and the RT rating is). One is not more accurate than the other, statistically or otherwise, as they are not the same thing.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
He is Vigo! You are like the buzzing of flies to him!

Peter MacNicol is a treasure. Loved him in Dracula: Dead and Loving It. (And I was all alone in that opinion, apparently!)

Back when I used to work at Barnes and Noble, Peter MacNicol was a regular customer. One of the nicest, sweetest guys. Very soft-spoken and polite. That alone is why it's mandatory that I pretty much watch whatever he pops up in. One of my favorite character actors. I had to refrain from quoting GB2 and Adam's Family Values quotes to him.

Not one bit. That's one of my favorite goofy movies to watch.

"I saw EVERYTHING."

If you're into goofy horror comedies, check out Transylvania 6-5000. It's on Amazon and has Michael Richards in an early role as an idiot butler, as well as Geena Davis as a nymphomaniac vampire and Jeff Goldblum/Ed Begley Jr. as tabloid journalists trying to investigate a sighting of Frankenstein's Monster in 1980s Transylvania. It's a damn riot.

Oh man, Transylvania 6-5000 is probably one of my favorite movies ever. Me and my older sister wore out the VHS tape re-watching that thing. I also attribute it to causing my huge fucking crush on Geena Davis back then. The fact that I was 6 when it came out had me very confused. Probably also why I was obsessed with vampires as a kid...

Lothars

Dark Knight really does deserve its score. It's the best superhero film, and one of the best films made in any genre imo.
I don't agree it deserves that high of score, It's a good to great movie but it was a campaign of fans trying to get it a super high score which is the issue with IMDB ratings.

MrBadger

I am actually genuinely excited to (probably) be seeing this movie tomorrow. Ignoring all the overblown hate and ridiculous drama surrounding the film, my opinions have been all over the place based on the trailers. Some stuff looked good, some stuff looked eh, and some stuff looked really bad, like that CGI-fest where they're all lassoing ghosts around and stuff. The positive opinions have been pretty reassuring so it'll be interesting to finally watch it for sure.

One thing I appreciate is watching as anti-GB16 fans discredit certain reviewers by pointing out some movie that has a large hatebase that the reviewer loves, but they're perfectly content using Roeper's views as legitimate despite his positive review of Batman Vs. Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom