• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some were really overblowing the existence of crass humour. There's literally just one poop joke, one fart joke, and one crotch joke. There are people who are actually saying a fart joke doesn't belong in Ghostbusters what the hell haha?! When did Ghostbusters become regarded as high class?
How old are your cousins? My daughter is 8 and wants to see it, but my wife doesn't like her seeing PG-13 movies so we "Screen" them first for her.

9 to 12. There is a middle finger joke that had one of my cousins reeling in shock that a character gave the bird lol.

Nudull

Banned
Some were really overblowing the existence of crass humour. There's literally just one poop joke, one fart joke, and one crotch joke. There are people who are actually saying a fart joke doesn't belong in Ghostbusters what the hell haha?! When did Ghostbusters become regarded as high class?

You dare question the arthouse genius of a ghost giving Dan Aykroyd a blowjob?

Man, totally forgot about that!
Dan-Aykroyd-Ghostbustesr-GIF-1436927048.gif

Yeah, people tend to forget the originals 'grab your sticks, heat em up, make em hard ... lets show that bitch how we do things downtown' line too (whilst four men are converging on an unarmed woman wearing nothing but bubbles)

B33

Banned
Was that scene intended to be a dream sequence from the start or did the shots of Aykroyd in bed dreaming and reacting to the dream get added with reshoots?

Syriel

My wife ranted at me for 30 minutes when I told her I liked highlander 2.

She knows her sci-fi. ;)

As for Ghostbusters:

Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth are the two best things about the film.

McKinnon just nails every scene she's in and Hemsworth has perfect comedic timing.

Also of note is that although McKinnon's character is gay, the movie doesn't bother to highlight that point. She just is who she is. It's not the defining bit of her character.

It's a shame that Leslie Jones' character ends up being completely defined by stereotypes since McKinnon's character steps so far outside them.

Honestly, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig were fairly forgettable here, and either could have been swapped out with other actresses.

Movie isn't bad, but pacing is uneven and it relies a bit too heavily on nostalgia.

Another Ghostbusters movie review for Tripon if he's still editing OP;

Crash Landed - 4/5
http://crashlanded.co.uk/ghostbusters-review.php

Ghostbusters definitely gets off to a shaky start, with the in-jokes and camaraderie being far more miss than hit - part-in-parcel with some less than stellar editing work. But that quickly subdues as Ghostbusters progresses and the team begin to ultimately coalesce, culminating in a fun-filled, action comedy that will have you smiling ear to ear

New busters movie coming out and I have zero desire at all to see it

Feels wierd

If it's any consolation, it's a lot better than the recent male-driven reboots/remakes :p Point Break, Total Recall, Robocop, TMNT, Transformers, Fantastic Four, Amazing Spiderman.

Was that scene intended to be a dream sequence from the start or did the shots of Aykroyd in bed dreaming and reacting to the dream get added with reshoots?

Originally the film ended with stantz returning to the haunted guard house with a bunch of red roses for the ghost. I always figured the 'air supply' song on the soundtrack originally related to their relationship.

Bluth54

That was part of a section that got cut where the Ghostbusters visit a haunted fort, which is why he's dressed up in an old style military uniform.

Yeah, people tend to forget the originals 'grab your sticks, heat em up, make em hard ... lets show that bitch how we do things downtown' line too (whilst four men are converging on an unarmed woman wearing nothing but bubbles)

Jesus Christ that's fucking terrible how did I not know what they were saying before. Noooo my favorite movie ;______;

Lothars

The first movie was bland, it's basically Diet Michael Bay. Can't say much about Out of the Shadows, I haven't seen it.
Yeah the first one is definitely bland, Out of the Shadows is the one I was referring to either way I don't think either movie is bad.

Yukinari

So does this mean everyone can stop attacking James Rolfe now just because he doesnt wanna see a movie thats getting middling reviews?

digdug2k

New busters movie coming out and I have zero desire at all to see it

Feels wierd
Heh. I'm totally the opposite. Excited and happy to see the franchise not die because people are scared to accidentally taint it. Movie looks fun. I only wish my daughter was old enough to watch it with me.

... What?

Yeah, as bluth54 said, it wasn't originally going to be a dream sequence; it was supposed to be the first part of what would have been a sweet human/ghost love story (like an 80s version of 'ghost and mrs muir' or 'blithe spirits')

it was the 80s, everybody got paired off.

Peter loves Dana
Egon loves Janine
Ray loves the white lady
Winston loves this town.

Nudull

Banned
Heh. I'm totally the opposite. Excited and happy to see the franchise not die because people are scared to accidentally taint it. Movie looks fun. I only wish my daughter was old enough to watch it with me.

Same here. This sounds like everything I could hope for in a honest-to-god decent reboot, and anything new with Ghostbusters can't be a bad thing.

Jesus Christ that's fucking terrible how did I not know what they were saying before. Noooo my favorite movie ;______;

Its just one of those things, everybody remembers the glib, irreverent comedy but a lot of that stuff was pretty close to the edge of what was acceptable in a child accessible movie at the time. stuff like 'alice, are you currently menstruating', zuul flat out telling peter that she wanted him inside her, the famous and celebrated dickless thing. it was all pretty crass at the time.

its pretty interesting too, that there were only two really significant female characters and louis tully did both of them.

Dalek

Its just one of those things, everybody remembers the glib, irreverent comedy but a lot of that stuff was pretty close to the edge of what was acceptable in a child accessible movie at the time. stuff like 'alice, are you currently menstruating', zuul flat out telling peter that she wanted him inside her, the famous and celebrated dickless thing. it was all pretty crass at the time.

its pretty interesting too, that there were only two really significant female characters and louis tully did both of them.

"I am the Keymaster"
"I am the Gatekeeper"

That got 7 year old Dalek hot under the collar.

DavidDesu

Well I saw this last night with my girflriend and we're both very fond of the original, we're 80s kids after all.... and we both kinda loved it. We both went in expecting it to be awful but by the end both felt it was a really enjoyable film overall.

Saw it in 3D just because of timing and ticket availability and we sat up the back... it's actually the best 3D film I've seen (after Imax Gravity). Our screening didn't suffer from ghosting and the film felt like it was filmed natively for 3D, but I'm guessing it was a conversion (?). Really impressed with the 3D surprisingly.

Yeah I enthusiastically want to see more of these films now, and hope it happens.

I'm still personally miffed that this isn't set in the same universe, I think that could really have worked in its favour. The original cast's cameos totally ensure this is in a new universe which is a missed opportunity for me. My girflriend didn't actually mind that and liked the cameos lol.

If your only way of defending your view that it's a bad film is to proxy-defend an eCeleb's review, then you've got a shitty defense. Like, do you honestly feel that compelled to defend a nameless internet celebrity? "Attack"? You're like the kid that wrote a letter to Roosterteeth telling them to stop making money.

First off, people were criticizing Rolfe's attitude. Secondly, just because it's getting subjective reviews does not make it objectively a bad film.

Ghostbusters is currently sitting at 78% fresh on RT.

That's not middling. That's not mixed. That means most people like it.

But sure, demonize "the other side" with whatever you can get your hands on for the horrible, terrible offense of not liking someone you do.

Baskcm

i sadly cant give this film a chance just because i love the original so much and no matter how much i would try i just wouldn't be able to give it a decent chance

im sure many people will like it myself i cant see s sequel being made also its hard to top the original in the first place.

I have to wait Until August 12 to see it (Spain). Literally the third last country to get it.

This is fucking bullshit. I wanted to watch it unbiased by further reviews (current ones are enough to make me go to the cinema), but this... sigh.

Alienfan

Just got back from an early screening, really enjoyable movie, some jokes fall flat, but most of the humour is genuinely great stuff. Kate Mckinnon steals the show, but the rest of the cast do a good job also.

Hot tip: see this movie in 3D!!! This might be the best use of 3D I've seen, they've srunk the aspect ratio of the film and leverage the extended black bars to add extra depth (hard to explain, but a similar effect you get from a 3D gif). Very innovative and just as good as any 3D I've seen in an Imax cinema!! Plus it helps that the special effects are excellent.

Overall, good popcorn flick and even better in 3D.

Nudull

Banned
Just got back from an early screening, really enjoyable movie, some jokes fall flat, but most of the humour is genuinely great stuff. Kate Mckinnon steals the show, but the rest of the cast do a good job also.

Hot tip: see this movie in 3D!!! This might be the best use of 3D I've seen, they've srunk the aspect ratio of the film and leverage the extended black bars to add extra depth (hard to explain, but a similar effect you get from a 3D gif). Very innovative and just as good as any 3D I've seen in an Imax cinema!! Plus it helps that the special effects are excellent.

So going IMAX 3D was probably a good call?

Bluth54

I really hate 3D but doing something like that does seem pretty clever.

Boem

Me and my girlfriend both thought that 3D effect was super cheesy, haha. Didn't add anything for me and it made the screen smaller than it needed to be (saw this at a small theatre), which, combined with the usual blurriness of 3D, was a bit of a bummer. I would recommend 2D. The special effects are all fine but none of the scenes benefit from the 3D, apart from the ghosts vomiting slime over the black bars now, as that user mentioned. It's a bit too much 'cheap theme park ride' for me, and it didn't make it more 3D for me, just took me out of the movie a little bit every time they did it. Looks odd and gimmicky.

Anyway, the movie itself: super enjoyable. It is its own thing: the 4 main cast members are all great and put a lot of personality in the characters. The style of comedy is different to the originals but that's the only way to make this work, I think.
Bill Murray's cameo
was the worst part, surprisingly. Went on too long, and they didn't even attempt to write any jokes for him. Bit of a bummer. The villain didn't do anything for me either, but he wasn't really the focus of the movie.

Apart from that the movie was fun. It did its own thing, and I didnt feel like the past was holding it back. It could have been better in places but it could have been way, way worse. The big thing: the movie has a ton of personality and the cast worked. I'd love to see a sequel, actually.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'll wait for double toasted review of the movie but I do know the movie cannot be worse than Batman v Superman.

faridmon

Watched last night, Bloody paid £9 for it which was just painful. Apparanly Odeon have introduced a higher price for movies that are on their first week run.

Anyway, i like it. It was fun. However I have to say two thing: 1) i am Paul Feig Fan and 2) I have never watched the original(s), keep in those two in mind when reading further:

Pros:

- Perfect pacing. There wasn't a boring part. One thing lead to another fast.
- Very happy and upbeat movie
- Chris Hemsworth was the highlight. Funniest character and even better dancer.
- Kristen Wiig being Kristen Wiig
- Amazing Soundtrack.
- Great chemistry between all the characters. Jokes bounced off each other smoothly.
- Kate Mckinnon was great. Great body language and her dialogue was amusing.
- Thank god for non-forced girl power fantasy and race commentary.
- It had a start and an ending. While also being open for a sequel.

Cons:

- Not funny at all. Disappointing with that especially Paul Feigs other movies resulted in me actually crying with laughter.
- Terrible writing and dialogue and even worse jokes. None of them landed well, and Chris Hemsworth's funny bits was just him being dumb and stupid.
- CG looked tacky and cheap (Except for those Balloon ghosts, those were well done considering)
- Awful ghost designs. Especially that first ghosts design (the lady in the basement) looked like she was drawn by a GCSE student.
- Disappointing to see Leslie Jones character being a one-note.
- Kriste Wiig being Kristen Wiig
- Weak Cameo roles
- Felt like a Saturday Morning cartoon turned into live action (Maybe thats a plus for some of you, but I am not a fan)
- Felt safe. It felt like Paul Feig wasn't in complete control with this movie and other business executives just decided to trim around the edges to make it more market friendly.

Over all, I enjoyed the movie. Thought it was good fun and left the cinema happier. But at the end of the day, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointing since all of Paul Feig movies made me laugh for hours, and this one didn't Definitely one of his weakest one.

Ranking time:

1- Bridesmaid
2 - Freaks and Geeks
3 - The Heat
4 - Spy
5 - Ghostbusters
6 - Unaccompanied Minors

I haven't watched I am David and I have no interest in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom