• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupercal

Banned
Watched last night, Bloody paid £9 for it which was just painful. Apparanly Odeon have introduced a higher price for movies that are on their first week run.

Anyway, i like it. It was fun. However I have to say two thing: 1) i am Paul Feig Fan and 2) I have never watched the original(s), keep in those tow in mind when reading further:

Watch the original if you want to watch a funny movie then, only 5£ on bluray :)

Busty

Banned
I'm curious to see where this falls once everything has been said and done. People I know that have seen the film seem to land between 'it wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either' which is a strange middle ground for a film like this to occupy.

As with most big film openings it won't be the opening weekend that will be the most important for the film but the second, I think that's going to be especially true for this.

If this has any kind of legs it shows that there is an audience for the Ghostbusters (regardless of interpretation) franchise in this day and age but if it falls off a cliff in the second weekend then Sony had better rethink their plans for this.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't think I'd say it's better the the first, but the hit rate for jokes is higher. Not to say it's funnier, but they throw out a lot of joke. The original was more laid back about that.

Excellent film though. And the gadgets were so good.

Froli

Damn, Jahnn and Stuckmann's review are
Probably a better time if it had a better pacing when you are drunk and C rating

I hope Jeremy Jahnns won't get crucified for this review...
mfw02uw.png

faridmon

I do't get people who are saying this movie is a ''feminist power film'' nothing in the movie I have watched had a suggestion of that. Its just a bunch of 4 women coming together because they had an incident with ghost previously and just decide to capture one.

Or was that heavily emphasised in the trailers? (Haven't watched any of the trailers for this movie)

I don't know why we give Stuckman or Jahns the time of day.

I do't get people who are saying this movie is a ''feminist power film'' nothing in the movie I have watched had a suggestion of that. Its just a bunch of 4 women coming together because they had an incident with ghost previously and just decide to capture one.

Or was that heavily emphasised in the trailers? (Haven't watched any of the trailers for this movie)

Agreed. So much for all that 'feminist agenda' snark. The most feminist thing about it is they're all women and it has no impact on the film's treatment of its characters or even stylistically. There's no eye-rolling 'girl power' moment, it's all just flows.

Trokil

Banned
I'm curious to see where this falls once everything has been said and done. People I know that have seen the film seem to land between 'it wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either' which is a strange middle ground for a film like this to occupy.

Well, nowhere. They witty, sarcastic humor of the original is pretty much not compatible with the in your balls humor of today. How should the fans of the older movies find a commune ground with the audience of the modern American comedy?

A lot of the fans of the old movie will be as disappointed as they were from the Trek reboot, the Transformer movies or the new Indiana Jones. The new movie will find new fans and maybe a even a new generation will love it as much as the old one. But because of the 30 year gap and the changes in movies and taste since than, they will have not have that much in commune. But the same thing happens everywhere; in music or games as well.

"Sassy black woman" was a serious concern of mine.

So unfortunate.

While she's definitely sassy, she's not just a stereotype in the film. She's just as capable and smart, even if she's not a scientist, much like Winston. Also low-key the funniest character in the movie.

Jarmel

Banned

Supposedly all the men in the film are idiots, cowards, or assholes. There's also the final villain where he's shot in the balls or something.

PopeReal

As with most big film openings it won't be the opening weekend that will be the most important for the film but the second, I think that's going to be especially true for this.

If this has any kind of legs it shows that there is an audience for the Ghostbusters (regardless of interpretation) franchise in this day and age but if it falls off a cliff in the second weekend then Sony had better rethink their plans for this.

This may be the perfect storm for the legendary "Middle Ground Man of Gaf".

Comfortable fit, but room enough for finger wagging at both sides.

Jazzem

don't do it to yourself, man ... its better this way.

I saw that thing day one at the cinema and still haven't managed to wipe it completely.

Bahaha, oh dear. I still don't know how a sequel to Highlander was ever even remotely conceivable, they certainly didn't prove that it was with 2...

Vinland

Banned
just like the Original Ghostbusters, which no one remembered after 1985

I don't know if you are being revisionist or sarcastic.

OT:
Collider Video review was pretty good. They overall enjoyed it but it had some technical and comedic flaws. Also that the 3D was brilliant.

Boem

While she's definitely sassy, she's not just a stereotype in the film. She's just as capable and smart, even if she's not a scientist, much like Winston. Also low-key the funniest character in the movie.

I agree, she's definitely the second-best Ghostbuster in the movie. It's hard to beat Kate McKinnon because she's such a fun character, but Leslie Jones was hilarious throughout.

Supposedly all the men in the film are idiots, cowards, or assholes. There's also the final villain where he's shot in the balls or something.

That's just nonsense - if the way men are treated in this movie is bothering anyone they really need to get a reality check. Every male side character in the movie is funny and flawed, sure, but so are all the female roles - even the heroes are flawed. This movie is definitely not anti-men, or something silly like that, and apart from the meta context of rebooting a classic comedy with women in the lead, there's nothing particularly 'girl power' about this movie. There are a couple of small jokes referencing it: (
like Youtube comments on their first ghost catch
), but it's all very quick and pretty funny, nothing more.

Damn, Jahnn and Stuckmann's review are
Probably a better time if it had a better pacing when you are drunk and C rating

I hope Jeremy Jahnns won't get crucified for this review...
mfw02uw.png

So on the one hand you have a bunch of guys that wanted this movie to fail miserably mad because of the okay reviews and on the other you have the people mad at the reviewers that didn't think it was great because obviously it's a review based on misogyny?

What a mess.

Jeremy Jahnns reviews are great and I usually agree with most of them.
Was on the fence about watching this in the cinema and probably now will
just wait for it to come out on amazon video or redbox.

I don't ever watch any of the YouTube review critics besides Double Toasted, but I checked out the Stuckman and Jahns review. It's amusing that I could tell what their overall reviews were just by glancing at the "likes" before even sitting down to watch them.

Jazzem

Yeah I like Jeremy Jahns, I'm not usually a fan of jump cut reviewers but he has an everyman quality to him that makes his reviews approachable. Plus he has made me laugh several times.

Though err I am glad he's long stopped taking time out in videos to comment on how hot the lead actresses were :p That wasn't terribly necessary.

I fail to see how shooting a guy in the balls is inherently sexist. A lazy joke? Probably. But sexist? Only if they shout something like "This is because we hate balls and everyone they're attached to!" first.

As for the "every male character is dumb or evil or a dick" thing, maybe every character in the movie who's not a Ghostbuster comes off that way? That's kinda part of what made the first one funny.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
watching these milquetoast "influencers" review this film is like watching someone tip toe on live grenades, they're almost apologising for their criticism. not sure i've ever seen anything like it. not for a studio-led reboot anyway.

DeathyBoy

Banned

She's far better integrated than Winston was, to be fair. He's just a guy who shows up, and gets nothing to work with. Ernie Hudson makes a nothing character work because he's a good actor. Patty, in contrast, is treated as an invaluable member of the team.

And that's not to knock Ernie Hudson, dude deserved better than the nothing both Ghostbusters films gave him.

gafneo

Banned
Yeah I like Jeremy Jahns, I'm not usually a fan of jump cut reviewers but he has an everyman quality to him that makes his reviews approachable. Plus he has made me laugh several times.

Though err I am glad he's long stopped taking time out in videos to comment on how hot the lead actresses were :p That wasn't terribly necessary.

Even though he gives negative reviews, at least he's not a dick about his disliking.

Boem

That sounds so over the top it would probably be hilarious.

I've seen the movie, and the moment is funny. It's just a small joke and it totally works in context - it's just something that gets easily overblown in hater-reviews.

In fact, the trailers make this movie seem way more low-brow than it actually is. Even though the tone is somewhat different (which is as it should be, given that these are totally different comedians), it's just as 'sophisticated' as the original - no more, no less. The handful of lowbrow jokes that are in there are small, totally work and don't overwhelm the movie at all. It's when you're typing them out that they sound stupid - in the context of the movie it's fine.

She's far better integrated than Winston was, to be fair. He's just a guy who shows up, and gets nothing to work with. Ernie Hudson makes a nothing character work because he's a good actor. Patty, in contrast, is treated as an invaluable member of the team.

And that's not to knock Ernie Hudson, dude deserved better than the nothing both Ghostbusters films gave him.
Winston was the regular guy who had to react to and deal with three crazy men who were trying to catch ghosts with nuclear equipment. He gave much-needed contrast. He made the role better, for sure, but it was a necessary role.

Lothar

Banned
watching these milquetoast "influencers" review this film is like watching someone tip toe on live grenades, they're almost apologising for their criticism. not sure i've ever seen anything like it. not for a studio-led reboot anyway.

I can't wait for the Red Letter Media review. I don't think they would be tiptoeing or apologetic if indeed they don't like it, judging by what they had to say about the trailer.

Bluth54

Winston was the regular guy who had to react to and deal with three crazy men who were trying to catch ghosts with nuclear equipment. He gave much-needed contrast. He made the role better, for sure, but it was a necessary role.
Yeah honestly I don't think Ghostbusters would of worked as well if Winston was another scientist and a core member of the team from the start. They really did need an everyman for the team. He could of got more lines and screentime after he was introduced but he did get some pretty great lines.

The problem is that he doesn't even come into the movie until 2/3 of the way through.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Even though I don't put a lot of stock in reviewers, Jeremy and Chris tend to have a similar enough taste in movies as I do that I'll at least consider what they say. Although I personally love Ghostbusters 2 to death, so we'll never agree on that (imagine that; two different people not always liking the same things!).

I liked their reviews of the movie. They're always fair and unbiased, which I look for in a reviewer. My expectations for this movie was always in check.

I don't participate in review threads often, if at all. There's usually such a combative air to them, but this one has been ok.

My initial plan was to wait for digital VOD, but we may go see it this weekend or next. 3D is pretty tempting too, but movies are $18-$25 per ticket where I live (the main reason why we don't see much in the theater in the first place).

Watched last night, Bloody paid £9 for it which was just painful. Apparanly Odeon have introduced a higher price for movies that are on their first week run.

Anyway, i like it. It was fun. However I have to say two thing: 1) i am Paul Feig Fan and 2) I have never watched the original(s), keep in those two in mind when reading further:

Pros:

- Chris Hemsworth was the highlight. Funniest character and even better dancer.
- Kristen Wiig being Kristen Wiig
- Great chemistry between all the characters. Jokes bounced off each other smoothly.
- Kate Mckinnon was great. Great body language and her dialogue was amusing.

Cons:

- Not funny at all.
- Terrible writing and dialogue and even worse jokes. None of them landed well, and Chris Hemsworth's funny bits was just him being dumb and stupid.

So ... which is it? Is it funny or is it not? You basically contradict yourself with these pros and cons.

Zabka

Except for the played out "suicide bomb the portal" ending I liked Max Landis' idea for GB3. I'd expect a lot more people would be excited about it instead of the sad controversy surrounding the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom