• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

I know its not the cool thing on the internet to do, but im gonna go see it this weekend. Glad to see the reviews arent as bad as I thought theyd be given all the hate towards this film.

.JayZii

Banned
its reviews like this that keep giving fuel to the GG trolls and it will probably make others start preaching about conspiracy

ze7hlo9.png
Laffs?
Gender flip that and you have a solid majority of theatrical release action movies.
I do hate how every action film has to end with the female villain getting shot in the pussy.

Gender flip that and you have a solid majority of theatrical release action movies.
People say this, but I can't think of any film with a male lead surrounded by dumb female villains and supportive roles who wins by blowing up the baddy's weakspot in the vagina.

I have no issues with what GB is doing, but I find these statements odd lol.

I know its not the cool thing on the internet to do, but im gonna go see it this weekend. Glad to see the reviews arent as bad as I thought theyd be given all the hate towards this film.

A lot of neckbeards were hoping this turned out worse than Fantastic Four...

What we got was a movie with a RT score over 7x what FF got.

It's beautiful.

--

Also - what's the deal with the RT ratings? I thought over 80 reviews at 75%+ and it was certified? It's about to top 100 reviews at 77%... are they in shock over there or something?

Lothars

People say this, but I can't think of any film with a male lead surrounded by dumb female villains and supportive roles who wins by blowing up the baddy's weakspot in the vagina.

I don't get it either. It is pretty odd but certain posters keep like to say it is the truth.

Real Hero

Winston was the regular guy who had to react to and deal with three crazy men who were trying to catch ghosts with nuclear equipment. He gave much-needed contrast. He made the role better, for sure, but it was a necessary role.

the role barely allows for that function, he has like 3 lines

It's kinda like how people pretend that black characters die first in a majority of horror films. It gets repeated enough and then confirmation bias sets in.

Just came back from watching it and I honestly had a fun time watching it. I enjoyed all the new characters but Holtzmann was by far the best of the bunch.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Winston was the regular guy who had to react to and deal with three crazy men who were trying to catch ghosts with nuclear equipment. He gave much-needed contrast. He made the role better, for sure, but it was a necessary role.

But except for the revelations scene, he doesn't really react. Dude buys it straight away.

B33

Banned
Ernie Hudson said that there was more to Winston's character that Reitman, Aykroyd, and Ramis cut for the sake of expanding Venkman. He said he was grateful for the experience but disheartened that the character was scaled down. Hudson did a great job with the material given and what little screentime he was allotted in the final cut.

Jarmel

Banned
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/10/black-characters-horror-movies/

This is hardly comprehensive, but I'm still thinking of horror movies that do this and I'm drawing a blank. Scream 2 is really it but that was in itself a metacontextual moment.

The horror genre has its various sins, but this is definitely overblown and not reflective.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackDudeDiesFirst

A number of horror movies are listed in the live action segment.

Foggy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackDudeDiesFirst

A number of horror movies are listed in the live action segment.

Yeah sorry that's just not a compelling case, especially set against my provided link. Horror films definitely have their fair share of tropes and certainly don't afford enough minority characters the opportunity to be central(which is the real problem the callout of this trope is trying to address). But this particular criticism, just doesn't hold water.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah sorry that's just not a compelling case, especially set against my provided link. Horror films definitely have their fair share of tropes and certainly don't afford enough minority characters the opportunity to be central(which is the real problem the callout of this trope is trying to address). But this particular criticism, just doesn't hold water.

Your example is just as valid as mine. It does happen. Now if you want to consider the percentage of horror movies or whatever and look at it from a larger statistics point of view, that's a different case. However black people do die first in a good number of horror movies.

Boem

Ernie Hudson said that there was more to Winston's character that Reitman, Aykroyd, and Ramis cut for the sake of expanding Venkman. He said he was grateful for the experience but disheartened that the character was scaled down. Hudson did a great job with the material given and what little screentime he was allotted in the final cut.

The role was also originally meant for Eddie Murphy, who did Beverly Hills Cop instead. So they just replaced him with another black guy, who ended up not having anything to do in the movie. I've said it before, but Ghostbusters isn't a movie about 4 guys hunting ghosts - it's a movie about 3 guys hunting ghosts. Hudson's account of that period is very sad, as his role in the script kept diminishing and diminishing until he was hardly there, and he wasn't even on the original poster, and he was often completely ignored in other promotions as well. His role was meant to be much bigger, and the fact that he was the only black guy on the team makes it very uncomfortable.

People who are now claiming that his role was important because he was the straight man/regular joe are missing the point - he was hardly in the movie (and not much of a character because of it) because he wasn't a famous white comedian, and because he wasn't Eddie Murphy either. Both Hudson and Aykroyd have talked about this numerous times and admitted that it was a huge mistake. People shouldn't forget that leading black parts were impossible to get in those days (even moreso than now) unless you were one of the chosen few, like Murphy. Ignoring that is ignoring an important - if uncomfortable - part of hollywood history. In comparison Leslie Jones is way better off in the new movie - she gets to be just as much of an oddball and just as crazy as the other comedians, and is actually just as much a part of the team as the rest. She was my and my girlfriends favorite Ghostbuster in the movie, after McKinnon (who steals the show the entire time).

Foggy

Your example is just as valid as mine. It does happen. Now if you want to consider the percentage of horror movies or whatever and look at it from a larger statistics point of view, that's a different case. However black people do die first in a good number of horror movies.

I firmly believe if we completely derail and examine both lists, mine would be a much more compelling case. But such as it is, I'll leave it be and not drag this out. Is it in a "good number of horror movies"? Sure, but to the point being a demonstrable trope? Certainly not. And I do believe knowledgeable horror fans would agree.

She's far better integrated than Winston was, to be fair. He's just a guy who shows up, and gets nothing to work with. Ernie Hudson makes a nothing character work because he's a good actor. Patty, in contrast, is treated as an invaluable member of the team.

And that's not to knock Ernie Hudson, dude deserved better than the nothing both Ghostbusters films gave him.

Totally.

Actually upon re-watching the original you can tell it was originally supposed to start with the team formed. Jeanne appears out nowhere, same with Winston. Chronological pacing is wack in it. Not a huge deal but true none the less

Jarmel

Banned
I firmly believe if we completely derail and examine both lists, mine would be a much more compelling case. But such as it is, I'll leave it be and not drag this out. Is it in a "good number of horror movies"? Sure, but to the point being a demonstrable trope? Certainly not. And I do believe knowledgeable horror fans would agree.

Your list has the qualifier about main black characters which I find to be unnecessarily restrictive but yes this would end in a derail so let's move on.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As a kid, it always bugged me that Winston wasn't part of the courtroom scene in Ghostbusters 2. Granted, Winston never would have agreed to digging a big hole in the middle of the street in the first place, but I always hated that we hardly ever got to see Winston take part in anything but the climactic events in the movie. I wanted to see Winston bust ghosts, dammit! At least in GB2, they gave him a lot more to do compared to GB1. The train sequence and river of slime stuff scared me as a kid.

Ghostbusters always centered on the three scientists, which was a shame, because even as a kid, Winston was my favorite Ghostbuster, and I loved them all. I think a part of why I enjoyed The Real Ghostbusters so much is because of it being a series, Winston was able to do a lot more across the episodes.

User1608

Banned
I thought I was alone in loving Winston... good to see I'm not!

Definitely found him the most relatable and charming, because he wasn't a prick lol as much as I love the rest of the crew.

Winston has the best lines in the original.

I have seen shit that'll turn you white is the best line and delivery. I also met Ernie Hudson and he was a pleasant dude so bonus points.

Lol, the like/dislike bar for the youtube reviews are spoiling the rating of the movie.

For real lmao, I can tell immediately if its a positive/negative review

So GB is well over 100 reviews and sitting at 75% and still not certified fresh... I mean it sounds silly, but are they purposefully not giving it the award? What's the deal?

Dalek

giphy.gif

I've yet to come across a critic on Youtube who can talk about films the way that print critics like A.O. Scott and Michael Philips, online critics like Devin Faraci and Jen Yamato, or even podcast critics like the guys on Filmspotting can.

Also A.O. Scott doesn't post photos of himself with his mouth open for every review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom