• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Hardware Sales UK - PS5 ↓ 57% YoY, Switch ↓ 30% YoY, Xbox ↓ 22% YoY

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/75-of-games-sold-in-august-were-downloaded-uk-monthly-charts

PS5 saw a few more sales in August (up 4%) than July, but it's down 57% over the same period last year.

Switch sales were down 10% in August over July and down 30% over this time last year.

Meanwhile, the Xbox Series family of consoles sold almost exactly the same number in August as July, but sales were down 22% over last August. The Microsoft console was slightly ahead of Switch in August. Both consoles have been alternating between No.2 and No.3 all year.

XXL

Woopah

Posting the most important paragraph from the article:

The old TimeSplitters games were also brought to PlayStation with additional trophy support. These aren't remasters, but they did return to the charts with TimeSplitters 2 at No.218, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect coming in at No.229 and the original TimeSplitters at No.326.

Pro is gonna save Playstation.

What's gonna save Xbox?

Glitter Farting GIF by Attractions Magazine

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be a rough year for consoles outside of a strong first month for the PS5 Pro, and it might continue until at least late 2025 with GTA's release or a price cut.

Honestly by the start of this year i couldn't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't get a price cut this 2024, but as soon as MS confirmed the new SKU's prices in June and now with the PS5 Pro price, guess we can expect that there'll be no cut anytime soon.

Looks like it's going to be a rough year for consoles outside of a strong first month for the PS5 Pro, and it might continue until at least late 2025 with GTA's release or a price cut.

Honestly by the start of this year i couldn't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't get a price cut this 2024, but as soon as MS confirmed the new SKU's prices in June and now with the PS5 Pro price, guess we can expect that there'll be no cut anytime soon.

I think the issue is with Sony and MS seeing how many users are still playing on the old system they just don't care as much. As long as your are in their ecosystem.

RickMasters

Yeah I still think that’s been one of the weirdest things about this gen. The lack of price cut on hardware 4 years on is shocking.

Kikorin

I think PS5 had a great push first half of the gen because of the PS4 generation, but right now is under delivering and will slow down. We'll see, but I think PS4 will be higher in total sales when everything will be set and done.

These 2024 YoY numbers look "bad" for PS only because the 2023 numbers were extraordinarily high.

Ignore that nuance, and it's still doing amazing numbers.
It's still almost 40% down from 2022, where they had a lot of stock problems, i wouldn't call that amazing, they are fine tho, while the rest is struggling really hard

UKAUG.jpg

We'll see what Nintendo is cooking for next-gen, but if they do it right with a decent price and some interesting upgrades from Switch, the gap between their console and the other ones could be way bigger than ever before

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's still almost 40% down from 2022, where they had a lot of stock problems, i wouldn't call that amazing, they are fine tho, while the rest is struggling really hard

UKAUG.jpg

We'll see what Nintendo is cooking for next-gen, but if they do it right with a decent price and some interesting upgrades from Switch, the gap between their console and the other ones could be way bigger than ever before

This really shows that Sony really really needs to do something FAST! The Pro will help some, but that damn PS5 base price is just too high.

Woopah

better than Xbox by a lot if that matters.

Seriously though, it just means that sales last year were inflated due to supply finally meeting demand, so this year things have gone down to what they should have been.
In addition to the availability, PS5 also had more temporary price cuts last year.
Surely SuckerPunch are well into development with GoT2, shouldn’t we be getting an announcement by now?
We can only hope.

Mr.Phoenix

Then TALK ABOUT YOUR 1ST PARTY GAMES!!!!!!! Geez why are they so relaxed? There's no urgency from them.
I suspect the lack of urgency from them, is actuallbecause they cant talk about their first-party games yet. What is the point talking about games that are at least 12-18 months away?

I feel they have pretty much written this year off, in a sense. And next year they become more aggressive. Especially with GTA6 coming... or hopefully coming.

ap_puff

I suspect the lack of urgency from them, is actuallbecause they cant talk about their first-party games yet. What is the point talking about games that are at least 12-18 months away?

I feel they have pretty much written this year off, in a sense. And next year they become more aggressive. Especially with GTA6 coming... or hopefully coming.
The point of talking about them early is so you can avert a huge disaster like Concord.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
better than Xbox by a lot if that matters.

Seriously though, it just means that sales last year were inflated due to supply finally meeting demand, so this year things have gone down to what they should have been.
So we shouldn't look too deep into the 4 to 1 sales ratio, of PS5 compared to Xbox, over the past 15 months or so? Just an anomaly I guess. 😀😉

edit: I know this is a shitpost, it feels shameful 😪 It will still probably be at least over 2 to 1 at current rate, at least I imagine it to be the case.

Last edited:

DarkstarRising13

Neo Member
The point of talking about them early is so you can avert a huge disaster like Concord.
That's true. However, the problem is that Neil Druckmann (brushing aside the criticism of his writing) explained that showing off games years away from release places unnecessary stress on game studios, something gamers don't seem to take note of. And we all know players often complain "Hey, why are the graphics on the reveal trailer not on the actual game" and other such bullshit. This is the reason why gamers complain that "PS5 has no games" B.S. because they're not doing what PS4 did.

They should just take a bigger loss on each console, sell base ps5 for $299 and watch sales skyrocket.

They will make back the lost money tenfold.

Mr.Phoenix

What has ding one got to do with avoiding the other?

So you are saying Concord would have sold better if they had talked about Wolverine, GoT2....etc?

Or that if they talk about them early then they can gauge interest? I am lost.

Last edited:

jm89

I'll be shocked not to see a price cut for ps5 next year.

My guess is with Xbox fumbling around and Nintendo not really doing much this year, sony are just coasting this year taking as much margins they can from ps5 hardware.

GTA 6 + ps5 price drop next year could really get thinga going.

Drop the price early next year to keep some momentum going during the first half, and then GTA 6 will push sales the latter half.

Last edited:
Top Bottom