• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Hardware Sales UK - PS5 ↓ 57% YoY, Switch ↓ 30% YoY, Xbox ↓ 22% YoY

StereoVsn

I honestly dont think that matters. Its the fact that the price has not dropped as has been traditional for the last 20 years
Yep, we are four years in and it hasn’t had any price drops. PS4 was $300 at this juncture.

I know, I know, inflation, component prices, etc., but Sony and MS mostly exhausted the market of people who are going to pay $500+ for a game console.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Yep, we are four years in and it hasn’t had any price drops. PS4 was $300 at this juncture.

I know, I know, inflation, component prices, etc., but Sony and MS mostly exhausted the market of people who are going to pay $500+ for a game console.

Good thing there wasn't a more affordable console created at the beginning of the gen as an inflationary hedge....oh wait...

It’s doing very well to be tracking slightly behind PS4 at this point then.

Is the price mainly due to manufacturing costs at this point, or are they just waiting to rip people off when GTA VI comes out?

Fatmanp

Then TALK ABOUT YOUR 1ST PARTY GAMES!!!!!!! Geez why are they so relaxed? There's no urgency from them.
I reckon the vast majority of the first party diehards already have one. What is required is games like Fifa, COD and GTA to be current gen exclusive to give people a reason to upgrade. CFB in the US is a good example of this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Realistically, Sucker Punch, Bend, ND, and MM should all have something ready to show at this point.

EXACTLY!!!! What are we waiting for?! If it's to show the games exclusively on the PS5 Pro, I'd understand. So I expect a full 100% push from Sony now. Comparable to how it was mid-PS4 gen.
That's true. However, the problem is that Neil Druckmann (brushing aside the criticism of his writing) explained that showing off games years away from release places unnecessary stress on game studios, something gamers don't seem to take note of. And we all know players often complain "Hey, why are the graphics on the reveal trailer not on the actual game" and other such bullshit. This is the reason why gamers complain that "PS5 has no games" B.S. because they're not doing what PS4 did.

The bolded is why I sometimes don't care when developers lose their games. And yes I'm serious! While it may feel like a rant or illogical, I feel that we are at a point where we are getting too soft when it comes to our workforce in general. Not everything has to be cotton candy and rainbows. Oh I'm sorry, the pressure to release a $1 Billion game is on your shoulders 18 months in advance. BIG FREAKING DEAL!!!! These devs are making $150k-$250k per year for god's sake! Yes there's going to be pressure.

Some gamers are feeling like this generation has been a bust. I don't, but I'm not starting to understand why some of them do. It's like devs don't want to work hard anymore.

XXL

EXACTLY!!!! What are we waiting for?!
From what I've heard is they generally aren't announcing games until they are close to being ready for release and the reason for this is because the have been heavily criticized online for announcing games to early in the past.

As much as it sucks for us, I do think it is the better strategy overall.

KINGMOKU

It's still almost 40% down from 2022, where they had a lot of stock problems, i wouldn't call that amazing, they are fine tho, while the rest is struggling really hard

UKAUG.jpg

We'll see what Nintendo is cooking for next-gen, but if they do it right with a decent price and some interesting upgrades from Switch, the gap between their console and the other ones could be way bigger than ever before
That is exactly how I see it. If Nintendo does indeed come in with a 399$ price tag, and say, Mario Kart 9, that thing is gonna blitz the market.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

And the Switch 2 is still at least 6 months away.
IMHO Nintendo was going to release this earlier but saw the downturn in the market, predicted when it would end, and set Switch 2 release date for then. This also allowed them to build up stock for the launch. The idea is to get a huge launch at a lower price(399) that will hit when the market is coming out to see the sunlight after the long rain. Ideally they want to sell a lot of these day one to get a headstart on replacing Switch 1s. This also gives them time to launch evergreens by the first holiday without having to stack them all up at launch.

If they had released it, for example, the end of this year, worldwide financial issues could have dampened the first holiday of the console. Also, if Nintendo didn't have the software ready they weren't going to release the console for the exact same reason.

Last edited:

DJ12

These 2024 YoY numbers look "bad" for PS only because the 2023 numbers were extraordinarily high.

Ignore that nuance, and it's still doing amazing numbers.
Aren't all the massive figures from when Sony flooded the market and were finally able to meet demand?

Of course it's going to go down from that.

mckmas8808

From what I've heard is they generally aren't announcing games until they are close to being ready for release and the reason for this is because the have been heavily criticized online for announcing games to early in the past.

As much as it sucks for us, I do think it is the better strategy overall.

So you think it makes sense to have all future Sony 1st party games to only be shown for 6-12 months before release?

XXL

So you think it makes sense to have all future Sony 1st party games to only be shown for 6-12 months before release?
Yes. This isn't like back in the day.

Hype can be generated quickly online now. The more they show and talk about games is the more time they give people to pick apart and over analyze.

This seems strategy seems to be working for them....look at Astro Bot.

Hypothetically if they announce GOT 2 tomorrow and drop it 6 months from now, it would still do numbers...if its really good. They also can avoid delays and all the discourse surrounding them with this approach.

In the end, people just want good software. All the other stuff surrounding it is just noise at this point.

NickFire

Hype can be generated quickly online now. The more they show and talk about games is the more time they give people to pick apart and over analyze.

Hypothetically if they announce GOT 2 tomorrow and drop it 6 months from now, it would still do numbers...if its really good. They also can avoid delays and all the discourse surrounding them with this approach.

In the end, people just want good software. All the other stuff surrounding it is just noise at this point.
I disagree. If they had obtained and listened to audience feedback earlier they might have avoided a really big and expensive embarrassment last month.

On topic again, I can't say I'm shocked by this report. Cost of living is through the roof. Consoles are going up in price instead of down it seems. And despite a couple of gems and annual sports games, there really haven't been many (any???) big games that would cause less enthusiastic gamers to splurge for a new console recently.

Last edited:

XXL

I disagree. If they had obtained and listened to audience feedback earlier they might have avoided a really big and expensive embarrassment last month.
Sure, but you're talking about the exception to the rule.

Helldivers 2 and Astro Bot for example were wildly successful with this approach.

Aenima

Playstation needs a price cut on the base console. Its ridiculous that we are this far in the gen and the console instead of getting price cuts is now more expensive than it was at launch. With the hardware revisions the console got theres no excuse for Sony dont do a price cut even if small.

Last edited:
I think the problem is Sony went from revealing games years in advance to months in advance overnight.

Coupled with covid delays it feels like there’s been a huge gap.

Playstation needs a price cut on the base console. Its ridiculous that we are this far in the gen and the console instead of getting price cuts is now more expensive than it was at launch. With the hardware revesions the console got theres no excuse for Sony dont do a price cut even if small.

And miss out on all that GTA6 money next year? Wouldn’t be surprised if it got a price drop after the GTA6 bump.

Three

They should just take a bigger loss on each console, sell base ps5 for $299 and watch sales skyrocket.

They will make back the lost money tenfold.
I doubt that tenfold claim. They tested the waters with $350. The market just isn't the same anymore. There is the death of moores law, there is the rise of GaaS and f2p, there is the rising chip prices. It's all working against a loss leader console price as big as $299.

Aenima

And miss out on all that GTA6 money next year? Wouldn’t be surprised if it got a price drop after the GTA6 bump.
Sony makes very little money from hardware sales. Its more important to have alot of consoles sold cuz that way they they can sell digital games, dlc, MTX and get a 30% cut. This is the reason Sony and MS can affort to launch consoles and lose money on hardware sales. I think Sony pricing is just a consequence of the high demand they consoles had this gen, but the demand is now decreasing so its time to adjust the prices.

akira__

Banned
Sony makes very little money from hardware sales. Its more important to have alot of consoles sold cuz that way they they can sell digital games, dlc, MTX and get a 30% cut. This is the reason Sony and MS can affort to launch consoles and lose money on hardware sales. I think Sony pricing is just a consequence of the high demand they consoles had this gen, but the demand is now decreasing so its time to adjust the prices.
They should make a loss preferably. There are many kids out there who would love have a ps5. But it's just too expensive. It's shortsighted to only focus on profits now and discard a new generation.

Last edited:
I doubt that tenfold claim. They tested the waters with $350. The market just isn't the same anymore. There is the death of moores law, there is the rise of GaaS and f2p, there is the rising chip prices. It's all working against a loss leader console price as big as $299.
There is a reason Nintendo Switch sold as much as it did. And i think thats because you could get it at $199 or even $100 used.

There is also a large number of people struggling to make ends meet with food / rent etc. They probably bought ps4 but have yet to buy a ps5 because of the $500 price, its simply unaffordable for a lot of people.

Look at the hundreds of reviews of ps5 on gamestop. Alot of people complain about the price at $500. Let alone $700 for ps5 pro.

We will never know because Sony will probably never drop the console that low because of rising chip prices like you said.

MacReady13

I'm just wondering, and hear me out for a second here, but I'm just thinking it MIGHT have something to do with the fact that most of the world is going through a cost of living crisis. I mean, I think that is a strong possibility although I'm sure this will get the die hard xbots out to "prove" that console gaming is dying...

But used sales wouldn't increase its overall sales.

Plus the cheapest Switch is the least popular and the most expensive Switch is the most popular.

True, but the used sales would still contribute to software sales if they bought digital.

As for the popularity. What may be true for switch is not true for playstation.

The $700 ps5 pro is the least popular, while the $500 Ps5 is the most.

According to the over 100k dislikes on the reveal video.

3.86 million original Switch consoles were sold during the 2024 fiscal year, with the updated OLED Switch model selling 9.32 million units and the compact Nintendo Switch Lite model selling 2.52 million during the same time frame.

Nintendo Reveals Sales Numbers

So the Switch lite still sold 2.5million units. Not far off from the base. You are right about the cheapest switch being least popular.

Though with the cost-of-living crisis you would think switch lite sales would increase.

Last edited:

Woopah

True, but the used sales would still contribute to software sales if they bought digital.

3.86 million original Switch consoles were sold during the 2024 fiscal year, with the updated OLED Switch model selling 9.32 million units and the compact Nintendo Switch Lite model selling 2.52 million during the same time frame.

So the Switch lite still sold 2.5million units. Not far off from the base. You are right about the cheapest switch being least popular.

Though with the cost-of-living crisis you would think switch lite sales would increase.
I do agree that Pro will be a minority of PS5 sales.

My point was more that price isn't everything, it's also about value. OLED is far more popular than the Lite, because the additional value it provides is seen as worth more than the $150 price difference.

mckmas8808

For big 1st party games it should be 12-24 months in advance. That has always worked for Sony in the past.

That's the general Nintendo approach and it works pretty well.

Yeah, but Nintendo is different.

StereoVsn

The issue with the Lite is you can’t hook it up to a TV. That turns people off and they would rather spend a bit more to have the full version.

If the Lite could output video over USB-C, and same without the dock, it would do much better, IMO. But Nintendo didn’t want to mess with more profitable devices.

Top Bottom