• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(GI.biz) Sony plans restrictions on PSP games power consumption

Chittagong

Gold Member
Didn't see this posted yet.

Sony plans power restrictions on PSP games
Concerns over battery life become a problem for developers

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4667

Developers working on PlayStation Portable titles will have to ensure that their games don't over-tax the battery on the device or risk falling foul of Sony's technical guidelines, according to sources working on games for the system.

Draft guidelines sent to developers, which will eventually evolve into the technical requirements checklist (TRC) for the system, are alleged to include a demand that games should not exceed a certain level of power consumption.

This apparent response to concerns over the battery life of the system - which is quoted as around 10 hours for music and two hours for movie playback - places the problem firmly in the developers' court.

Sony apparently intends to include a "battery emulator" as part of the PSP development tool set, which will evaluate the projected battery use of a game over an extended period of play. Titles are likely to be judged based on how many hours of play a single battery charge can provide.

(...)

While the PSP has been generally praised for being exceptionally easy to develop for, this new restriction will add a layer of complexity to the development process - and will almost certainly rule out the type of disc streaming technology which has become commonplace in PlayStation 2 titles such as Grand Theft Auto 3, as constantly accessing the disc in this manner would seriously impair battery life.

story.kutaragisonyafp.jpg

"Now, gentlemen, it's YOUR problem, not our. Next?"

Memles

It's one thing to have strong battery life...it's another to force the issue by limiting the game development to do so.

So basically, your game better not be pushing PSP full tilt? No games are gonna go close to 333/166Mhz limit of the CPU and GPU?

This is a load of crap Sony!!!!

fugimax

haha...this is great. :)

I think finally we can conclude that Sony isn't going to pull a rabbit out of its hat on this one. When you need to include a battery emulator with your devkits...wow. :)

I can already hear developers now:

"Well, we were going to have such and such, and that would have been really cool, but unfortunately that scene put us over the Sony mandated power consumption...so we had to cut that feature."

I can see such things as FMV and streaming music (aka, not synthesized) being dropped. Maybe even wireless play, since wireless is infamous for sucking up power. This, of course, all depends on what exactly the "maximum power" a game can suck up is. But something makes me think it's going to be pretty stringent.

Deku Tree

Shogmaster said:
So basically, your game better not be pushing PSP full tilt? No games are gonna go close to 333/166Mhz limit of the CPU and GPU?

Why couldn't a game use the full power of the processor without constantly streaming data off the UMD?

Retarded.

Hopefully, after the first game lineup, the PSP fails miserably. Upon seeing the dismal number of units sold, hopefully Sony will get their heads out of their asses and lift this policy.

Rather than force developers to conform to these standards, Sony should instead require companies to display the average battery life a game will have on the back of the box somwhere - (possibly located alongside other symbols that may be there which display # of players, wifi compatibility, etc.).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Forgotten Ancient said:
Rather than force developers to conform to these standards, Sony should instead require companies to display the average battery life a game will have on the back of the box somwhere - (possibly located alongside other symbols that may be there which display # of players, wifi compatibility, etc.).

i like this idea, they should do it anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Actually pretty curious that this pops up now, as launch games should be ending beta testing or in first submissions to make their way out this year as Sony has claimed. Will they get rejected? Sorry, you didn't fit these guidelines you didn't have when you designed the game!

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Sony tech team : "Holy shit battery life blow"
*a few months later of R&D*
Sony tech team : "Holy shit battery life still blow"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
oh sure, quote almost the entire article but snip one of the most crucial parts:

However, as yet it's not been decided what an acceptable level of power consumption actually is, with the draft documentation apparently leaving out hard figures for Sony's battery life projections in games. Some developers we spoke to speculated that the firm may be waiting to see what kind of figures are achieved by headline titles such as Metal Gear Acid and Gran Turismo 4 before "drawing a line in the sand" on battery life.

Deku Tree said:
Why couldn't a game use the full power of the processor without constantly streaming data off the UMD?

You are assuming alot by thinking that most PSP games will be streaming data off the UMD. PSP has 32MB of RAM, so my guess is that most PSP games will load the level and that is that until the next level is needed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
kaching said:
oh sure, quote almost the entire article but snip one of the most crucial parts:

I wanted to play fair to GI.biz but every chapter seemend to have something worthwhile :-(

ge-man

That isn't a bad idea at all about displaying the drain, though that may not bode well for those games that list an hour or two as their limit. That 's where that idea would become problem as well.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
If Sony's going to regulate games individually during the submission process, controlling which games can use powerful graphics and which can't, it gives Sony's notorious software approval department another opportunity to play politics on which games and which publishers get an unfair advantage to break the guidelines.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Any handheld that uses optical media will encounter similar issues with battery life.

As long as these guidelines are relatively flexible (and I bet they are), I don't see a problem with establishing such a policy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lazy8s said:
If Sony's going to regulate games individually during the submission process, controlling which games can use powerful graphics and which can't, it gives Sony's notorious software approval department another opportunity to play politics on which games and which publishers get an unfair advantage to break the guidelines.

Combine that with the alleged "no 2D policy" and no games get into the market.

NotMSRP

Why not offer two modes: default mode to conserve battery life and full tilt optional mode, which is best when using the AC adaptor into the wall socket?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
This seems a bit of an incomplete picture - what allowances are made for external battery sources? Why limit the PSP development in any way based strictly on the internal battery if you're going to have an external battery solution?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sony apparently intends to include a "battery emulator" as part of the PSP development tool set, which will evaluate the projected battery use of a game over an extended period of play. Titles are likely to be judged based on how many hours of play a single battery charge can provide.
That's pretty neat, I like that they are giving that sort of "test" to developers. Of course I don't know of any handheld dev kits in the past did that. It's really crucial these days with powerful 3D hardware to make sure you don't push the system too hard. Hell Tony Hawk for the GBA (launch title) diminished battery life by a noticable amount with it's polygonal skaters.

fugimax

Why not offer two modes: default mode to conserve battery life and full tilt optional mode, which is best when using the AC adaptor into the wall socket?

Well because then they have to have a rating for how many watthours it's going to suck-up. I think if you were to plug in 10 PSPs all the in same neighborhood, you may blow out the local grid. ;)

I jest, I jest..

akascream

Banned

And developers write 2 game engines?.. one for each mode.

So how many PS2 games use constant streaming, as opposed to loading the stage into RAM and letting the disc spin only for music or whatever?

fugimax

It's really crucial these days with powerful 3D hardware to make sure you don't push the system too hard.

Eh..

The 3D chipset definitely draws more power than a 2D one...but I think the main issue is the spinning disc in the back of the machine.

Unrelated, but have there been impressions posted on what exactly a PSP with a spinning medium in it feels like? It'd be pretty annoying if it created vibration everytime the disc spun up. (Which is going to be quite sporatic due to trying to conserve battery. Could be pretty annoying.)

Bebpo

Banned
fugimax said:
Eh..

The 3D chipset definitely draws more power than a 2D one...but I think the main issue is the spinning disc in the back of the machine.

Unrelated, but have there been impressions posted on what exactly a PSP with a spinning medium in it feels like? It'd be pretty annoying if it created vibration everytime the disc spun up. (Which is going to be quite sporatic due to trying to conserve battery. Could be pretty annoying.)

It felt pretty good at TGS. Besides being a bit heavier than say the GBA, it didn't feel any different. Probably felt the closest to the Nomad but smaller.

fugimax

So how many PS2 games use constant streaming, as opposed to loading the stage into RAM and letting the disc spin only for music or whatever?

Quite a few I would assume. Anything that is an expansive or ever-changing environment would need to stream data like this to prevent loading "zones" or loading in between environment changes.

As for precise examples? Grand Theft Auto is definitely a game that does this. Also something like Katamari Damacy where the environment is morphing (adding new objects and removing them) on a massive scale.

The downside to this announcement is that I see a lot of developers who wanted to use streaming music not being able to. Spinning down the disc will be a huge battery savings...and streaming music just doesn't allow this.

TekunoRobby said:
That's pretty neat, I like that they are giving that sort of "test" to developers. Of course I don't know of any handheld dev kits in the past did that. It's really crucial these days with powerful 3D hardware to make sure you don't push the system too hard. Hell Tony Hawk for the GBA (launch title) diminished battery life by a noticable amount with it's polygonal skaters.

It's only necessary now because Sony chose to go with an optical medium for PSP, which is looking more and more like a poor decision, IMO.

fugimax

It felt pretty good at TGS. Besides being a bit heavier than say the GBA, it didn't feel any different. Probably felt the closest to the Nomad but smaller.

Ah, cool. What about noise? Though in a crowded place like that...you probably couldn't tell.

P90

PSX. PS2 HDD. Now the PSP' comedy of errors. Mistake after mistake after multiple mistakes. This does NOT bode well for the PS3. Maybe Xenon and Revolution will really eat into the Playstation market hold. I wouldn't bet on it, but I would not be suprised now.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hmmm and I was always under the impression that having a nice steady spin wouldn't require that much amount of power compared to heavy GPU use. Then again I never performed any studies or read about them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
fugimax said:
I think the key point here is that they BOTH add a significant amount of variability to power usage, depending on how they're used. We're getting into a class of portable gaming devices now who's min or max peformance characteristics are much further apart than any device before them. The PSP could render a game as simple as something from the B&W Gameboy years upwards to something rivaling today's current console releases. And really, the amount of disc spinning/data access that's required is largely dependent on just how complex you want your game rendering to be. You wouldn't even have the requirements for heavy data access if you didn't have the ability to render 3d visuals of at a level contemporary with set top box abilities.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
mashoutposse:
As long as these guidelines are relatively flexible (and I bet they are), I don't see a problem with establishing such a policy.
Having flexibile guidelines would leave room for claims of preferential treatment to certain games/publishers. On the contrary, any standards should be clearly defined and enforced without much exception.

Nintendo also gives guidelines, but their system doesn't really make this as much of an issue.

Wulfer

Cue hatred thread that needs to be created to send a message....

(WE DON'T HAVE TO BUY THIS THING!) No one has a gun to our heads!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Wow. So far this *sounds* like a f--- up of Nintendo proportions!

It certainly adds complexity to the development process (like the article points out) but at this point its still anyone's guess as to how much. It *might* not be that bad. You never know. But its certainly going to hamper things somewhat...especially in the early going until devs get the hang of making games for the system.

Also, just because its in the draft doesn't mean that it will end up in the final TRC. Sony might simply make a recommendation that the games stay below X watts or something and leave it up to developers to take the battery consumption issue into consideration when they are making their games.

Kamille

This doesn't sound good at all. :\ I was gonna wait for a price drop anyway, but this certainly solidifies my 'wait and see' stance on the PSP. Hopefully this won't be so bad. I don't know, I just keep getting this feeling that the PSP is this Godsend to handhelds that despite it's greatness will somehow fall flat on it's face at any moment.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
:lol

2 hours for movie playback?! Provided the thing is fresh off a charge, that's not enough time to play most movies. Sigh.

I hope they have a USB charging option...

Top Bottom