• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(GI.biz) Sony plans restrictions on PSP games power consumption

teiresias

What kind of battery life did the Nomad get?

I own a GameGear, haven't played it in forever though. The battery life was pretty poor, but I often played it at home with the AC adapter plugged in. I had quite a few games, and the port of the Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusions (or whatever it was called) was really good I think - and my favorite game on the system.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The size of the mistakes and the inconveniece they cause also relate dear DCharlie."
"Price was absurdly high for what it gave: pure game machine (the TV tuner was sold separately and was its only "multi-media" extension)."

ah, but that decission kept the cost down some what, the PSP may well be absurdly priced.

"Battery life was very short and forced you to buy a shitload of AA batteries or be with your parents in the mountains, enjoying the fresh air with no AA batteries sigh... :("

Now, at least if that happens and i have more AA batteries, i can continue playing. With the PSP , i'll have to find a recharge point. Not convenient, i know, but if i was on a flight with a GG and had 6000 batteries, i could play for the full duration... with the PSP, i'm going to have to get drunk or something to pass the time for the rest of the flight.

"The Game Gear was a pure game machine: PSP offers me a lot of stuff beyond pure gaming."

Okay, so it gives you a low capacity MP3 player, and the ability to watch approx 1 movie (both of which either cut in or remove your ability to play any games after you've finished doing it).

"Games were Sega Master System quality, NOWHERE near Genesis quality."

That doesn't make them any less good! There were some great Master System games that maybe weren't quite Genesis quality, but were close. Seeing the PSP games, some games are PS2 or close to PS2 quality others aren't.

I'd say the biggest problems with the GG (after thinking a bit more) was battery life and size. I just picked mine up.... i forgot how huge it is.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"The size of the mistakes and the inconveniece they cause also relate dear DCharlie."
"Price was absurdly high for what it gave: pure game machine (the TV tuner was sold separately and was its only "multi-media" extension)."

ah, but that decission kept the cost down some what, the PSP may well be absurdly priced.

You make no sense, you know you and I will get one each and if we buy something we automatically agree the price is fair ;).

Still, it might be worth every penny they ask :).

"Battery life was very short and forced you to buy a shitload of AA batteries or be with your parents in the mountains, enjoying the fresh air with no AA batteries sigh... :("

Now, at least if that happens and i have more AA batteries, i can continue playing. With the PSP , i'll have to find a recharge point. Not convenient, i know, but if i was on a flight with a GG and had 6000 batteries, i could play for the full duration... with the PSP, i'm going to have to get drunk or something to pass the time for the rest of the flight.

I cannot play that much video-games on a flight: between eating, the movie, the seat being uncomfortable... I told you I was in a Virgin flight, they had an SNES with a shitload of great games... couldn't play much of anything... flying is not relaxing nor comfortable in coach.

"The Game Gear was a pure game machine: PSP offers me a lot of stuff beyond pure gaming."

Okay, so it gives you a low capacity MP3 player, and the ability to watch approx 1 movie (both of which either cut in or remove your ability to play any games after you've finished doing it).

So ? I am still getting a device which does a good job in each area and the extenral battery pack which seems nice enough should warrant me to watch a movie and play a nice game and listen to music for the day I travel (I should very well find a point to recharge the PSP and the battery pack at least once a day if I plan to use it each day).

Low capacity ? Not witha 512 MB Memory Stick and the power of ATRAC3+ ;).

Movie playback from Memory Stick should also have better battery life than UMD movie playback.

"Games were Sega Master System quality, NOWHERE near Genesis quality."

That doesn't make them any less good! There were some great Master System games that maybe weren't quite Genesis quality, but were close. Seeing the PSP games, some games are PS2 or close to PS2 quality others aren't.

They are nowhere near PSOne quality though ;).

We do pay for the graphics too :).

DCharlie

"Still, it might be worth every penny they ask ."

Lets face it, even if it goes all the way up to $500, you Sony apologists will spin it so that it's still incredible value.

"So ? I am still getting a device which does a good job in each area and the extenral battery pack which seems nice enough should warrant me to watch a movie and play a nice game and listen to music for the day I travel (I should very well find a point to recharge the PSP and the battery pack at least once a day if I plan to use it each day)."

well, we still don't know the capacity of the battery pack yet. if it adds the same life again, then that will allow you to drain one battery with the movie, then 2 hours of game and 6 hours of music.

"Low capacity ? Not witha 512 MB Memory Stick and the power of ATRAC3+ ;)."

Or for a little bit more than the price of a 512 mb stick, i can buy a Zen and have 20 gigs of something not recorded at low quality.

"They are nowhere near PSOne quality though ;)."
some of the PSP games are PSOne quality - infact, a couple are SUB PSone quality.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
which titles fit that category?
Well, I don't really think anything's sub-PSone, but most of the 2D games like Gargav Trilogy, Lumines, Puzzle Bobble, TOE, PoPoLoCrois & Puyo Fever all look PS1 level (some are even PS1 ports). Even some 3D games like Ren-Goku or Sticky Balls are closer to PS1 than PS2 I'd say...

Insertia

jarrod said:
Well, I don't really think anything's sub-PSone, but most of the 2D games like Gargav Trilogy, Lumines, Puzzle Bobble, TOE, PoPoLoCrois & Puyo Fever all look PS1 level (some are even PS1 ports). Even some 3D games like Ren-Goku or Sticky Balls are closer to PS1 than PS2 I'd say...

i figured it would be either 2d games, ports, or puzzles games (which generally sport visuals that don't change much despite the specs.) :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
with the PSP, i'm going to have to get drunk or something to pass the time for the rest of the flight.
Unless you're one of the bastards that always flies bussiness/first class :(

some of the PSP games are PSOne quality - infact, a couple are SUB PSone quality.
But some PS2 games are PSOne quality Also. Heck if you look hard enough, there are some sub PSOne quality not only on PS2, but also on GC and XBox ;)
I always wondered about this actually - how do we get these relative ratings? By using the best titles on the system? The worst? The most average? And is comparing worst on one to the best on other alright?
And if this is objective comparison (not from consumer pov) surely lower dev. budgets should be considered also?

Or for a little bit more than the price of a 512 mb stick, i can buy a Zen and have 20 gigs of something not recorded at low quality.
512MB stick is something like 80$, is Zen that cheap? Well I guess that's the curse of multipurpose devices.
I'll probably write myself a set of USB HDD drivers for my PSP though :D

Brofist

Fafalada said:
I'll probably write myself a set of USB HDD drivers for my PSP though :D

It would probably be easy enough to get a USB flash device working...and those things are dirt cheap now 1 GB for $80 or so

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Why are you all bringing up the "playing PSP on a airplane" example? Optical drives are not allowed during flights in the first place! Unless you can play games from mem stick u are fucked anyway! :D

TTP said:
Why are you all bringing up the "playing PSP on a airplane" example? Optical drives are not allowed during flights in the first place! Unless you can play games from mem stick u are fucked anyway! :D
They are? what airline? I have been using my laptop during flights without any complaints from the crew(s).

DCharlie

"Well, I don't really think anything's sub-PSone, but most of the 2D games like Gargav Trilogy, Lumines, Puzzle Bobble, TOE, PoPoLoCrois & Puyo Fever all look PS1 level (some are even PS1 ports). Even some 3D games like Ren-Goku or Sticky Balls are closer to PS1 than PS2 I'd say..."

well, Lumines looks stylish, although i'm sure the game itself could be done on a mobile phone. No, there were a couple of horrible looking 3d games - i will dig out photos with names on them and they looked like very eary very horrible PSX games.

"Unless you're one of the bastards that always flies bussiness/first class :("

oh yeah, i forgot they get the plug sockets now...

"But some PS2 games are PSOne quality Also. Heck if you look hard enough, there are some sub PSOne quality not only on PS2, but also on GC and XBox ;)
I always wondered about this actually - how do we get these relative ratings? By using the best titles on the system? The worst? The most average? And is comparing worst on one to the best on other alright?
And if this is objective comparison (not from consumer pov) surely lower dev. budgets should be considered also?"

It's difficult to bracket in relality - i'm just pulling stuff out of my (general) ass.

"512MB stick is something like 80$, is Zen that cheap?"

Why do we continually get fecked over? 512 MB sticks are a cool 19000 here in Japan. The Zen was at 23,000. Okay , the point is laboured , but for an extra 4000 yen, it's a whole device + 20 gigs of storage (which incidentally can be used for sticking any data on there you'd like - which is interesting...)

"Well I guess that's the curse of multipurpose devices. I'll probably write myself a set of USB HDD drivers for my PSP though" -

USB drivers + Zen would be interesting....
24 hour battery life too.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Project Midway said:
They are? what airline? I have been using my laptop during flights without any complaints from the crew(s).

Well, Alitalia (italian flight company) only allows to use "PC not connected to printers o compact discs drivers" during the flight. I know other companies don't allow the use of such devices just minutes after/before take-off/landing, but for Alitalia is no-no during the whole cruise.

Oh, on a side note, some planes have power sockets in every seat.

TTP said:
Well, Alitalia (italian flight company) only allows to use "PC not connected to printers o compact discs drivers" during the flight.
I can understand printers if they are connected to laptop via infrared or bluetooth but internal cd-rom drives? Sounds strange. But airline rules are sometimes strange... =)

xsarien

daedsiluap
TTP said:
Well, Alitalia (italian flight company) only allows to use "PC not connected to printers o compact discs drivers" during the flight. I know other companies don't allow the use of such devices just minutes after/before take-off/landing, but for Alitalia is no-no during the whole cruise.

Oh, on a side note, some planes have power sockets in every seat.

That has to be exclusive to Alitalia, the only thing I've ever encountered on flights within the U.S. (for example) is that during takeoff and landing, you better not be using anything more complicated than an abacus. During the actual flight, everything's fair game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
well, Lumines looks stylish, although i'm sure the game itself could be done on a mobile phone.
If the game's true charm relies on it's music adapting system, how would you do that on the mobile phone?

DCharlie

It's style lies in the music, but the game itself - ie: every element of its gameplay, could be handled on a phones ...

*hides GBA code*

Just remembering , i'm off to Florence for a week at the end of December... If the PSP is out, i'll be able to test whether the plane has any problems or not with the PSP.... ;)

Brofist

DCharlie said:
It's style lies in the music, but the game itself - ie: every element of its gameplay, could be handled on a phones ...

*hides GBA code*

Just remembering , i'm off to Florence for a week at the end of December... If the PSP is out, i'll be able to test whether the plane has any problems or not with the PSP.... ;)

That's good, you know the reviewers wont cover the airplane test :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Not to the degree you're laying down. I've yet to see anyone express their principles as being in line with that, to simplify things down you're essentially saying is someone says 'A', then they must believe 'B'. And when I question who's saying 'B', your response is "what, you haven't seen all those people saying 'A'"?
Close. What I'm saying is that there are people who are saying A and either don't appreciate what it really means to say that, or don't care.

Sorry I see grey.
No need to apologize. I see the grey too, but it does take black and white to define grey.

The other problem is I haven't proposed people see an equality between factors, but rather a balance with varying degrees. You see a yes/no duopoly of positions evidently.
Agreed, balance is a better term. But again, it doesn't fit the extremity of what some people _say_

I'm saying they're not, you're twisting people's beliefs into your own arbitrary "all or nothing" standard. To defend your favorite I'd say.
Sorry, jarrod, but if one is interested in balance, one shouldn't say that one factor is more important than the other, one should simply say both factors are important and need to be balanced. You don't achieve much balance when you start off by marginalizing the value of one factor relative to another.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Close. What I'm saying is that there are people who are saying A and either don't appreciate what it really means to say that, or don't care.
Clairified even, I've yet to see this B crowd...

kaching said:
No need to apologize. I see the grey too, but it does take black and white to define grey.
Actually, it only takes black. Or with RGB, it takes neither.

kaching said:
Agreed, balance is a better term. But again, it doesn't fit the extremity of what some people _say_
What people? Your 'GBA standard' reinterpretation of Dragona?

kaching said:
Sorry, jarrod, but if one is interested in balance, one shouldn't say that one factor is more important than the other, one should simply say both factors are important and need to be balanced.
Balance doesn't imply a lack of preference, only a balance between them. I haven't seen anyone only promote battery life, again can you provide some names?

kaching said:
You don't achieve much balance when you start off by marginalizing the value of one factor relative to another.
Again which, seems to be the primary complaint with PSP. ;)

jarrod

Banned
DCharlie said:

*hides GBA code*
Did Lumines start out as a GBA project? I remember Mizuguchi way back when Sega first went 3rd party saying he wanted to do a GBA game but nothing ever came of it...

heidern

but if one is interested in balance, one shouldn't say that one factor is more important than the other, one should simply say both factors are important and need to be balanced. You don't achieve much balance when you start off by marginalizing the value of one factor relative to another.

As mentioned, the problem with the psp is that sony have marginalised the value of battery life relative to the power/capabilities. Fine, they want a powerful handheld, but they need to balance that with battery life. With the GBA which is the standard for handheld gaming, the 12+ hours you get out of it means that battery life is quite plentiful.

With the DS it is 6-10 hours. That is inferior, but, if you take 8-10 hours as the average that is basically the same as the GBA. It means, if you have one, you have to charge it every now and then. You can think of it as a couple of solid gaming sessions. If you take 6 hours, that is a significant reduction from GBA, but if that is only for special cases(say for wifi) then you can sell that to the consumer as something necessary. Especially if you're getting 8-10 hours for an average go on say Mario.

Personally, I'd say 6 hours is acceptable(but a bit on the low side, it just about manages a couple of major gaming sessions). If the psp hits that, then I'd say battery life for psp is just about ok. If it is 4 hours, then that is poor, since one solid session would see you low on juice and in need of charging. If it is only 2 hours, then that is atrocious, not only would it not manage one major session, you would basically have to recharge it after every single play.

You also need to take into account that this is supposed to be a mass-market device. Fine, if you are hardcore and play every day, then you can think of it as charging your mobile phone every day. However the psp is not a phone, a necessity, an average person won't play it every day. Most people would probably play it sporadically, maybe even going weeks at a time without touching it. Thus not getting into a habit of charging it which of course would mean it being out of juice when you need it syndrome.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sony may want to downplay the movie playback thing. Unless flicks are dirt cheap, I don't see the point in offering the function/content.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Most people would probably play it sporadically, maybe even going weeks at a time without touching it. Thus not getting into a habit of charging it which of course would mean it being out of juice when you need it syndrome.
Or those people would just put it into a cradle (or whatever) and let it there while they're not touching it - to recharge, and be ready for them then next week when they want to play it. I see the short battery life to be much more of a problem to people who would want to play every day, all the time. They have much bigger chance of frustration due to running out of juice.

Sony may want to downplay the movie playback thing. Unless flicks are dirt cheap, I don't see the point in offering the function/content.
I agree. SCEA people at least, are already doing that. That function will be pretty marginal, IMO, and will only make sense for some kinds of original content, like discs that have music albums but also music videos, or for game FMVs.

Acosta

They are nowhere near PSOne quality though

More of what I expected from the TGS games were sub-Psone (my god, Sony must be crazy to show something as Gundam Seed, it almost ruined my impression of PSP).

As I am not an apologist and I like to speak with the facts, won´t comment about that issue, but I reccomend to check Video-Fenky in a sentence that resumes perfectly what some people like me thinks after TGS right now (Fenekku, hope you don´t mind I put this here):

No, it wasn't disappointing at all... but it wasn't particularly energizing, either. This is something game writers and industry folk have noticed growing over the past few months, but your typical consumer's feelings toward the PSP aren't "My God! I must by this now!" It's more along the lines of "Yeah, this is what handheld games will be like pretty soon... guess I'll get one someday". This lethargic emotion wasn't helped by the great deal of unfinished, choppy, and just plain unappealing PSP games on the floor

Understand me, I love PSP I have one reservend even without knowing how it will cost (same than DS, I use to defend the philosphy design of both), but I really hope that Sony is not downloading the potential of the machine to offer uninspiring sub-PS2 games in order to maintain battery level. The point of PSP should be amazing you with its combo screen/audio/design/graphics, it is its best value to offer users. As DCharlie said, I want 2 hours of amazing PSP over 4 hours or 6 hours of PSone graphics level, but that won´t stop me about thinking its a poor design.

I will be happy with 6 hours of Devil May Cry level graphics at least (I have no worries about 2D capacities, that point seems pretty good covered).

Insertia

Gaijin To Ronin said:
More of what I expected from the TGS games were sub-Psone (my god, Sony must be crazy to show something as Gundam Seed, it almost ruined my impression of PSP).

Gundam Seed wasn't shown at TGS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just FYI, Nintendo has a checklist of the battery saving features for GBA, that developers have to follow, and had the same thing even for the old Gameboy.

Not a single game on PSP can be below PS1 quality. Texture filtering and perspective correction alone put all the PSP games above that level.

Now that aside, I agree that some of the games looked pretty ugly. Some others, though, like RR or HSG, look really nice, and some, like Lumines, look plain stylish.

Chittagong

Gold Member
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html
McNealy went on to describe two "likely" scenarios for the Japanese launch of the system. The first was a December launch with a "disappointing" launch lineup of "approximately five or fewer titles." This would seemingly contradict Electronic Arts' announcement that Tiger Woods and Need For Speed would launch alongside the PSP in Japan and the US, although McNealy did note in his report that "not all targeted launch titles were likely shown at TGS."

The second scenario posed by McNealy was a delay into January or later. If said delay, McNealy notes, was entirely software-related, it might not affect the March launch in the US. But if there are indeed "hardware issues such as battery management," McNealy sees the US launch window slipping into June.

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray & Co. paints an even gloomier picture for the PSP's launch ambitions. In a report released today, the securities firm expects the handheld "to launch later than the current March 2005 expectation. First, Sony is usually late with most product introductions… and we are hearing that the platform has other issues such as thermal problems (transistors are running very hot) and a very short battery life (90 minutes) that will almost certainly delay the launch." All this points to a November 2005 launch in the US (possibly alongside the next Xbox system), the report concludes.

Feel free to start a new thread. I don't feel like giving birth to another PSP negative HAT after this one.

P90

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray & Co. paints an even gloomier picture for the PSP's launch ambitions. In a report released today, the securities firm expects the handheld "to launch later than the current March 2005 expectation. First, Sony is usually late with most product introductions… and we are hearing that the platform has other issues such as thermal problems (transistors are running very hot) and a very short battery life (90 minutes) that will almost certainly delay the launch

That can't be right. That would be suicide to have a 90 minute battery life.

jarrod

Banned
I don't mind a delay to June if my PSP won't overheat and lasts longer than 2 hours... it'll help me save up for launch. :)

Phoenix

isamu said:
In the end, even with infinite battery life, this platform brings nothing new to the market. It's just another machine we gamers have to shell out for if we wish to play all the games. You take away its portibility with lackluster battery performance and you might as well own a PS2.

I have a hard time using that on a plane...

Phoenix

DaCocoBrova said:

Nintendo is pimping this gameboy TV foolishness so I doubt Sony will back away.

Acosta

Gundam Seed wasn't shown at TGS.

Sorry, I was speaking of Dead Aggressor

Not a single game on PSP can be below PS1 quality

I don't know very much about technology and just the minimum I should know about software development, but Jumping Flash was much better than the demo of Dead Aggressor, so whatever technology PSP has, they forgot to activate it on that game.

I don't care if it had more polys, or more textures or whatever, some games looked sub first generation playstation games, that is sub-psone in my dictionary (of course I don´t say every game looked that way).

Some others, though, like RR or HSG, look really nice, and some, like Lumines, look plain stylish.

Ridge Racer needs to show me more than a course without cars to impress me, but it was centainly nice. And there was some nice 3D games likes Tower of Purgatory and specially Coded Arms, but TGS show wasn´t was I expected in terms of PSP performance after passing fours hous playing all the demos, and this gossips about power limiting performance doen´t make it better.

It´s simple, I want the best for PSP and I want to see what I expect, PS2 3D graphics on a average level (as I said, Devil May Cry level for real 3D would be enough for me). But I have some concerns given the dates we are, the hypothetical launchment and the level showed at TGS in the show where Sony was supposed to blow the world. That doen´t mean shit as PS2 didn´t start fantastically at the technical level and has proven itself a very versatile machine that developers keep pushing forward, so I can expect the same of PSP.

But certainly I would have been happier with PSP games demos being awesome at TGS, and that didn´t happen, I´m sure you can understand that I have certain doubts that I expect to disspapear.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Actually, it only takes black. Or with RGB, it takes neither.
When you decide which of these methods you want to characterize my comments by, let me know. You've been referring to black, white and shades of grey up to this point. Perhaps I've been too "hardline" in expecting you to remain consistent to that? :)

Balance doesn't imply a lack of preference...
Of course not - the preference expressed in that case is for balance itself, not the prioritization of one feature over another. Like I said, "if one is interested in balance..." - you're just restating what I said. Which is good, because maybe you'll start to realize that what I've been saying hasn't been as hardline as you've characterized it and does in fact apply to several people around here.

Again which, seems to be the primary complaint with PSP. ;)
Nothing about what I've said so far has tried to argue what the primary complaint against the PSP is. As you've said, this isn't all or nothing - some people's complaint with the PSP is because it lacks balance and others complain because of the specific way that its capabilities were prioritized, contrary to the way they'd prioritize things. Which one is the primary complaint is irrelevant to our conversation.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
When you decide which of these methods you want to characterize my comments by, let me know. You've been referring to black, white and shades of grey up to this point. Perhaps I've been too "hardline" in expecting you to remain consistent to that? :)
Again, I apologize for recognizing multiple viewpoints. Too bad we can't all be so 'consistant'. :p

kaching said:
Of course not - the preference expressed in that case is for balance itself, not the prioritization of one feature over another. Like I said, "if one is interested in balance..." - you're just restating what I said. Which is good, because maybe you'll start to realize that what I've been saying hasn't been as hardline as you've characterized it and does in fact apply to several people around here.
One can want a balance and still desire prioritization of one feature over the other though. Think of a sliding scale, some may find PSP more offensive to that standard than DS, and in turn criticize it more harshly. Your idea that both should hold equal criticism if one holds those beliefs (and if not, they're somehow betraying their ideals) is deceptively simplified at best. Clever on your part but unrealistic in any practical sense. It applies to no one I've seen.

kaching said:
Nothing about what I've said so far has tried to argue what the primary complaint against the PSP is. As you've said, this isn't all or nothing - some people's complaint with the PSP is because it lacks balance and others complain because of the specific way that its capabilities were prioritized, contrary to the way they'd prioritize things. Which one is the primary complaint is irrelevant to our conversation.
Don't read too deep, I just thought you expressed the major complaint with PSP's battery situation almost perfectly. It was a nice setup, that's all. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Like I said, seeing multiple viewpoints is fine, waffling between them isn't. Bad enough you were being evasive before, don't add flip-flopping to your repertoire.

I didn't have to read deep at all to see you tacitly acknowledging that there wasn't only one type of complaint about the PSP. That was plainly on the surface and was really the only relevant aspect of that particular comment, relative to the issue you've taken with my original comment to Dragona.

So let's get back to the meat of your dispute. Of course someone can say they want balance while also seeking priority for one feature but it doesn't change the fact that it would be a conflict of interest. Balance is about seeking a natural equilibrium between factors, not about putting one factor ahead of any other. If someone wants to prioritize, they're basically throwing balance out the window, whether they care to admit it or not.

You also want to talk in terms of a sliding scale, but we're not dealing with a hypothetical scenario where the DS only misses GBA battery life estimates by a meager amount. By Nintendo's own conservative estimates of battery life, the DS sees an approximate 40% reduction in battery life as compared to the GBA. That's severely stretching the ability of a sliding scale to be of any merit in mitigating the loss, whether you care to define a 'GBA Standard' or not.

P90

Kaching- you keep accusing jarrod of stands he did not voice or imply. Why do you keep hammering him over something in YOUR head?

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Like I said, seeing multiple viewpoints is fine, waffling between them isn't. Bad enough you were being evasive before, don't add flip-flopping to your repertoire.
Point taken Mr President. Hammer it home.

kaching said:
I didn't have to read deep at all to see you tacitly acknowledging that there wasn't only one type of complaint about the PSP. That was plainly on the surface and was really the only relevant aspect of that particular comment, relative to the issue you've taken with my original comment to Dragona.
Again, it was just a good set up. Good fun.

kaching said:
So let's get back to the meat of your dispute. Of course someone can say they want balance while also seeking priority for one feature but it doesn't change the fact that it would be a conflict of interest. Balance is about seeking a natural equilibrium between factors, not about putting one factor ahead of any other. If someone wants to prioritize, they're basically throwing balance out the window, whether they care to admit it or not.
I disagree, there's not simply one point of 'balance'. There's acceptable limits with some and a variety of ranges which you seem simply unwilling to acknowledge, rather you attribute any level of deviation from your self imposed 'GBA standard' as being a betrayal of ideals, nevermind that Dragona and crowd never placed any 'GBA standard' themselves...

kaching said:
You also want to talk in terms of a sliding scale, but we're not dealing with a hypothetical scenario where the DS only misses GBA battery life estimates by a meager amount. By Nintendo's own conservative estimates of battery life, the DS sees an approximate 40% reduction in battery life as compared to the GBA. That's severely stretching the ability of a sliding scale to be of any merit in mitigating the loss, whether you care to define a 'GBA Standard' or not.
Not a meager amount, but a smaller amount than PSP none the less. Yet the idea that DS should endure less criticism than PSP, based comparatively off being less offensive to your 'GBA standard', is somehow a deviation in principles. Every crime should recieve the same punishment regardless of severity?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gaijin To Ronin said:
It´s simple, I want the best for PSP and I want to see what I expect, PS2 3D graphics on a average level(as I said, Devil May Cry level for real 3D would be enough for me)
No offense, but that's just being irrational. DMC is well above average for a PS2 game, and it's development budget was well above average too.
And even if we assumed that PSP hardware capabilities are above average of that of the PS2, the development budgets are not, nor are they ever going to be.

Anyway - I thought that best PSP demos delivered graphically (assuming no downgrades will happen in the future :p).
Yes, there are plenty of lowend games too, but I don't recall those ever being held as the benchmark for any other platform, so I don't quite see why PSP should be held to that kind of standard.

Top Bottom