• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
with what happened during the PSX stream, I'm wishing GB did a live commentary stream. Can't wait to hear their thoughts in the upcoming bombcast

FluxWaveZ

The main part I regret GB not having done a live show for during the PSX keynote was to see their reactions when Drake clipped through the world.

daydream

Banned
True, but it's usually met with a silence and "what the hell is this guy talking about" look.

Well, you'd probably go insane in Germany where games largely still are this niche, alien thing. Although I've been trying to bring the topic up more often with people I meet and I'm finding out that there's more interest than the silence would suggest.

I think the main reason for that is gaming is so dominated by English names and nomenclature that it just doesn't mesh very well with the German syntax. Also, all the German equivalents that are widely used for key vocabulary sound super dumb. I want to slam my head against the wall every time some says "Computerspiele" (= PC games) when talking about games as a medium. This happens all the fucking time.

The main part I regret GB not having done a live show for during the PSX keynote was to see their reactions when Drake clipped through the world.

Also, Jeff would have obliterated that one presenter who was shouting like a maniac.

Tan

As someone who didn't watch Sony's thing, what happened aside from Sony money hatting SFV and Yakuza?

Nathan Drake fell through the world and COME ONNNNNN I DO THIS FOR YOU.

Also Square Enix is porting the pc port of final fantasy 7 to the ps4

Square Enix trolled every viewer. I'm still waiting for that ffvii ps1 footage to transform into an hd version.

I mean Square had to know what they were doing, right? They can't honestly believe that people would be happy with their surprise FF7 announcement being a port.

I would have loved to watch GB's commentary, but asking them to go to the office and do all the work required for a livestream on a weekend isn't fair to them.

Myggen

Haven't watched it either. But hasn't sony always paid for Yakuza being PS exclusive?

I should've added a comma before "and Yakuza", the money hat comment was only directed at Street Fighter.

It's funny seeing the reaction to SFV being exclusive on gaming forums. Or, lack of reaction...

daydream

Banned
I felt like the teleprompter reading was even more prevalent than usual, at times brazenly so.

You're some sort of CEO/studio director/big shot and you can't memorise a one minute speech? Seriously?

Show was really good, though.

It seemed like a pretty exciting presentation if you were a Vita owner. Lots of good stuff heading to that platform. Even as a PS4-only guy it was a lot more than I was expecting from a weird fan thing in December.

The Persona 5 thing hurt though.

daydream

Banned
Yeah the Persona thing was mean. They brought the logo up and hyped it up and everything.

The way it was phrased, with P4G being mentioned prior to that, I (and many others) thought they were gonna announce a Vita version. Damnit Boyes.

image.php

The FFVII thing was masterful, though. S-E are monsters.

The way it was phrased, with P4G being mentioned prior to that, I (and many others) thought they were gonna announce a Vita version. Damnit Boyes.

That's what I was expecting too. Even after the "announcement" I thought I'd heard it as being release at the same time as Japan. But it didn't seem like it had been hyped enough for that, then I saw on twitter it was just a confirmation of Western release.

Bacon

I thought at the very least we would get a persona 3 "golden" type thing for the vita. I don't know why they framed it the way they did.

the endurance run will only come back when the next 100 hour rpg that vinny's interested in gets released, and a few months go by with him not touching it before he realizes he has no other way of getting to play it

so like the first endurance run

Renpatsu

Whatever, I'm all for it. #cara2015

The only one being 'pushy' is the fan for seeking her out, lol. Bit creepy there, buddy.

Edit: Melbourne? Ren pls.
Don't look at me, I've been working all week.

But if I did see her I probably wouldn't have said anything different.

AcridMeat

Banned
I bought Mount With Friends. Already had a Dan moment of my own, it was part soul crushing mostly hilarious though my mouth was agape I felt so bad falling back to earth hahaha.

Anyone have it and want to play right now?
Drunk thoughts:
Jeff gerstmann = videogame Bill Simmons. Giantbomb sportsgaf back me up
Except Jeff isn't a clown when on video. I mean a bad clown. Like Jeff is an entertaining clown.

Shit this hasn't worked.

I bought Mount With Friends. Already had a Dan moment of my own, it was part soul crushing mostly hilarious though my mouth was agape I felt so bad falling back to earth hahaha.

Anyone have it and want to play right now?

Except Jeff isn't a clown when on video. I mean a bad clown. Like Jeff is an entertaining clown.

Shit this hasn't worked.

Man, I really want a "Big Book of Videogames" by Jeff now. Although his GOAT rankings would be so wack.

Mully

Drunk thoughts:
Jeff gerstmann = videogame Bill Simmons. Giantbomb sportsgaf back me up

Yes. Jeff is Jeff. He won't relent his opinions to publishers, developers, and friends. He knows his thoughts mean something and he's not going to sully them for any reason.

With that said it's pretty sad Jeff and GB are only a handful of people within the industry that readers/listeners can absolutely trust when it comes to games criticism and analysis. I'm sure there are many people who the games industry can trust, but GB has a perfect record of putting its readers first and relationships second. There are not many outlets that can say that currently.

This may seem weird, but maybe being brutally honest and open about experiences can personalize those experiences with possibly millions of people better than carefully constructed PR directed experiences at IGN, YouTube Channels, and in the past post Gerstmann Gamespot. It's like honesty means more than bullshit. Weird.

demidar

Yes. Jeff is Jeff. He won't relent his opinions to publishers, developers, and friends. He knows his thoughts mean something and he's not going to sully them for any reason.

With that said it's pretty sad Jeff and GB are only a handful of people within the industry that readers/listeners can absolutely trust when it comes to games criticism and analysis. I'm sure there are many people who the games industry can trust, but GB has a perfect record of putting its readers first and relationships second. There are not many outlets that can say that currently.

This may seem weird, but maybe being brutally honest and open about experiences can personalize those experiences with possibly millions of people better than carefully constructed PR directed experiences at IGN, YouTube Channels, and in the past post Gerstmann Gamespot. It's like honesty means more than bullshit. Weird.

I don't expect marketing to understand, but even if they do they have to disregard it because it gets in the way of their job. The whole thing's going through a sea change though but it can either end up good or bad.

Not to mention Jeff is like a talking, walking gaming encyclopedia. I think only Peter Brown from GameSpot comes close to rivaling Jeff in this department.

Mully

I don't expect marketing to understand, but even if they do they have to disregard it because it gets in the way of their job. The whole thing's going through a sea change though but it can either end up good or bad.

I don't know. I think marketing has missed an extremely marketable position for years. Telling consumers a particular game is bad is likely not good for their bottom lines. I completely understand that, but there have been many recent events where honesty likely would have been appreciated more than bullshit + second hand honesty.

Like it was really weird that Patrick basically had to explain why the Halo: MC Collection fall apart at release when a well worded 343 document could have done the same thing and likely could have won the appreciation of the Halo audience as a whole more than any other half-truth statement ever could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom