• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Finished main story, with a team at Lvl 72. I know I missed a ton of side-quests though

You probably couldn't have done them anyways.

I love, love, love Vesperia (it's probably my top 10 games of last generation), but the sidequests in that game are FUCKED. Mostly hidden triggers, many of which require you to backtrack for no reason to several towns back. And if you miss the specific window of time in which it's open, you lose the opportunity to do it forever.

One of the worst requires you to randomly stay at in an Inn multiple times in a city you've already passed at a specific time in the story.

demidar

I love, love, love Vesperia (it's probably my top 10 games of last generation), but the sidequests in that game are FUCKED. Mostly hidden triggers, many of which require you to backtrack for no reason to several towns back. And if you miss the specific window of time in which it's open, you lose the opportunity to do it forever.

One of the worst requires you to randomly stay at in an Inn multiple times in a city you've already passed at a specific time in the story.

Uggh Vesperia is the worst when it comes to missables. The absolute worst!

That's fine, the third act is the weakest and I wasn't sure if you dropped it at that point. You look ready to take on another JRPG then.

I really enjoyed Vesperia. Was my first JRPG since Persona 4 (back 2010 I guess - played it after the Endurance Run). Last two before that were Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata back in 2008 I think. Liked them too. Really think both should get more love.

I guess I am just in the mood for JRPGs right now - which is good. Not sure why - maybe just excited for Persona 5 (even though it is likely far away). Hopefully I do not burn out on JRPGs before that comes out.

Initial impressions... Yukari is no Chie, I miss Chie

Zaph

That is one of the most frustrating things a game can do - especially an RPG.

I don't even do every sidequest in most games, but just the idea there's something I might miss if I leave the area (and there's no system to track it in-game and return) triggers some kind of OCD and makes the game almost unplayable for me.

I have never really heard much positive about this version.

really? it's probably the best version, even though it's not the one I'd recommend playing first. they fix a lot of the weaknesses of the original versions, etc. the only downsides are that

-it's a PSP game and kind of ugly because of it
-free time navigation is via map and not modeled in-world. immersion and all that

but the dungeons and combat and etc etc are all better.

I have never really heard much positive about this version.

Hopefully it is not too bad. Currently €10 on PSN, so grabbed it. Would be too awkward for me to get out the PS2 again. Playing on Vita seems ideal for me, even if it is a lesser game.

Currently anticipating what the Battle Theme is - hope it is as catchy as P4's Reach out to the Truth.

eU0MoIc.png

Fevaweva

Charlie has been my Go To RPG name for 5 years.

I am starting Dragon Age Inquisition as a lady tomorrow and I legit cant think of a decent female name.

I guess Charlie sounds a bit feminine so it doesn't really matter?

I could go with Charlotte but then I will be thinking of Ric Flair the entire time.

I know a girl whose name is Charli

Everybody vote jeff pls

Fun fact i have called all my RPG characters Charlie Tunoku for both Male and Female protagonists. I will be doing the same tomorrow for DA.

Patryn

That is one of the most frustrating things a game can do - especially an RPG.

I don't even do every sidequest in most games, but just the idea there's something I might miss if I leave the area (and there's no system to track it in-game and return) triggers some kind of OCD and makes the game almost unplayable for me.

It's not even just leaving an area. It's backtracking to an area that you completed hours ago in order to stay in an inn or randomly talk to a person.

There is no indication in the game that you should head back, by the way. You just have to know that at a certain point of the story you should head back (and this is prior to you getting an airship, so it takes some effort to backtrack) in order to trigger something.

Even better, there may be sidequests that have multiple steps, and each step can only be completed in a certain window. Miss a single step, and you fail the sidequest and it gets locked off.

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

Yep, Jeff's currently at the top spot for "Trending Gamer."

You know it's a weird year for gaming when you look at the list of GOTY candidates and realize that only ONE of them has a realistic chance at Giant Bomb's GOTY. Moreso, I don't think all of the nominees will even make their list.

And it's not due to an overabundance of games this year, either. Cue discussion of Brad talking about how he could only come up with 5 games that will definitely make his list.

Seeing The Game Awards nominees for GOTY is kind of depressing. Going through Wikipedia's list of games released in 2014 kind of compounds that. None of those games are really going to stand the test of time, they feel like "above average games" really.

That said, Jeff being the top "Trending Gamer" with that photo is absolutely fantastic.

The Velvet Sundown quick look was the best moment this year. The reveal at the end makes it.

See I got bored with that and never even finished it. Which is pretty rare for me with GB videos. I generally finish quickooks I start even if I'm not all that interested/entertained.

Seeing The Game Awards nominees for GOTY is kind of depressing. Going through Wikipedia's list of games released in 2014 kind of compounds that. None of those games are really going to stand the test of time, they feel like "above average games" really.

Dark Souls 2 kind of stands out... then you think about it and go "yeah.. that mess is still probably one of the top 5 games this year".

2014 was rough ya'll

That said, Jeff being the top "Trending Gamer" with that photo is absolutely fantastic.

I certainly don't agree with all of the nominees being present, but it's way better than having the list filled with stupid overhyped AAA garbage games and token indie darling lauded by press solely so that they don't feel like the marketing arm of a big publisher.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I also changed the text to this so it probably didn't count smh

I definitely tweeted some garbage, and it seemed to work? At least they said "Thanks for voting". Now I just use my fake Facebook account. I don't want to annoy the 3 bots who are following me on Twitter.
I really love how everybody has a super serious picture except for Jeff.

Nibel

Man, please, Jeff must win this. Dude is probably the most entertaining and knowledgable gaming persona to me.

I like the idea of Jeff "trending" as if he's some hot up-and-coming personality and not one of the most veteran critics in the business.

This year was pretty crap for games. I'm not sure if that's usually what happens when a new generation starts since I can't remember previous ones. In terms of something that will stand the test of time, I'm sure the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor will be milked to hell and back over the next few years so that's something memorable that came from this year.

I like the idea of Jeff "trending" as if he's some hot up-and-coming personality and not one of the most veteran critics in the business.

Honestly, since Jeff Green crossed over to the "other side" I'd wager Jeff might be like the longest on-going professional games critic. Maybe Andy Mahood if he's still doing reviews? I know he just wrote a book, so I'm not sure what he's up to.

It amazes me how much just falls into Dan's lap out of luck. It's no question why he's so happy all the time.

I'm not sure I agree with that. He seems like the kind of guy that makes his own luck. I've never gotten the sense that things have ever just been handed to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom