• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Can't even fault Drew for being so bad at MGS2, both control-wise and design-wise it's aged nearly as poorly as MGS1. The controls for doing extremely simple things are just awful, especially compared with modern stealth-action games. Having an overhead camera to navigate complex locations while getting spotted by enemies completely outside of your range of vision is just way too disempowering to the player. Subsistence converting to a proper 3rd person camera was a revelation years overdue for the franchise.

I love MGS as a series but let's not act like it plays well. Especially for new players. Especially in the year 2014.

It plays absolutely fine. I was a new player in 2014 to both MGS and MGS2 and they're both completely playable. Both games give you every means necessary to avoid the enemy and play it stealthy, and once your radar is online, it becomes even easier. MGS is one of the easiest franchises around. Drew is just not taking the time to understand some pretty basic mechanics, and is just playing with a poor sense of discipline. The stuff in episode 5 is evidence of that, literally all he had to do to make his life easier was find the node, so he decides to run into a room where he knows guards are patrolling without his radar.

It's a fun series still, but it has been quite painful at times to watch, especially when Dan and Jason have it within them to explain to him how to play and how to just slow down and take it easier.

I'd like it in future if Drew played the game for 5-10 minutes to get reaccustomed to the controls before recording, so that he has it in his head how to play the game. He seems to take a while to warm up when he starts the recording.

I'd like it in future if Drew played the game for 5-10 minutes to get reaccustomed to the controls before recording, so that he has it in his head how to play the game. He seems to take a while to warm up when he starts the recording.

This idea certainly has been brought up here, hopefully it's appeared on the forums/comments as well so that they take the idea seriously.

Hello Mono :D

Intuitively, I feel like Quicklooks are longer now than they used to be. I like it.

Wish there was a trial episode or something for Metal Gear Scanlon, not sure its the kind of series I'd want to watch someone else play, but it could be. Might just wait til it's over, buy a month-long sub and download them all to watch at my leisure (assuming you can do that)

edit: Wait, is Drew playing the original versions of them, with fixed cameras?

Curufinwe

I posted this late in the Bombcast thread so I'll post it here, too.

To see your PS+ status on PS4:

Settings->PSN->Account Information->Services List->PlayStation Plus

Gotta love people who email the Bombcast with conspiracy theories when the problem is with them.

Balb

I wonder if Dan will tell everyone that Mario Party 3 has an option to significantly increase text and board movement speed, or if he'll keep it at the default, slow level as a means of hilarious torture.

All versions of MGS1 and 2 have fixed cameras, so I'm unsure as to what you're hinting.

Got myself confused, thought Subsistence was a version of MGS2 with a free camera. Obviously its MGS3 though, which I should know as its the one I have on PS2 :p

edit: Substance, that's the MGS2 rerelease. Easy mistake to make :p

I really really hope they play the Subsistence or whatever version of MGS3 for Drew's sake.

MGS3 is fundamentally broken without the free camera, and this comes from someone who played it on the PS2, when it was released. Luckily, they're playing the HD version of 2 and i assume that if they continue they'll play 3 on there, as well, meaning that he'll not only have the free camera but also that smooth ass framerate, too.

I wholeheartedly disagree, but Subsistence is still the better version.

in Snake Eater, the camera severely impairs the player due to the level design and the gameplay mechanics. You can only normally see around yourself for about a 20 foot radius overhead in these huge stages containing smarter and more attentive guards, and are penalized much harsher for being caught than in any other MGS game. It was fine to have that camera in the first 2 MGS games because of how confined and segmented the areas are, but it's totally bullshit in Snake Eater. It needed to be freed from the fixed overhead perspective badly, and Subsistence did right by it by bring that addition to MGS3.

But really, the thing i wanna see is if Dan tells drew about using the dpad to sneak. I didn't know that was a thing when i first played through Snake Eater and was getting really annoyed that the enemies kept noticing me at the very last moment when i went in for the stealth kill. It's such a stupid way do to that, goddamnit, to put that on the dpad instead of making it part of an analog movement system

Xizk

But really, the thing i wanna see is if Dan tells drew about using the dpad to sneak. I didn't know that was a thing when i first played through Snake Eater and was getting really annoyed that the enemies kept noticing me at the very last moment when i went in for the stealth kill. It's such a stupid way do to that, goddamnit, to put that on the dpad instead of making it part of an analog movement system

Yeah I also finished the game without knowing that. Kept Ramboing my way through the game as I kept getting noticed. Thinking I should play the HD version before Drew gets there and try sneaking my way this time.

Yeah, I hope Dan knows about this.

Dan ! Do you know about this ? :p

I wonder if Dan will tell everyone that Mario Party 3 has an option to significantly increase text and board movement speed, or if he'll keep it at the default, slow level as a means of hilarious torture.

Monsterdunk reads this thread so I guess he we will force Dan to increase the speed!

Alucrid

Banned
Can't even fault Drew for being so bad at MGS2, both control-wise and design-wise it's aged nearly as poorly as MGS1. The controls for doing extremely simple things are just awful, especially compared with modern stealth-action games. Having an overhead camera to navigate complex locations while getting spotted by enemies completely outside of your range of vision is just way too disempowering to the player. Subsistence converting to a proper 3rd person camera was a revelation years overdue for the franchise.

I love MGS as a series but let's not act like it plays well. Especially for new players. Especially in the year 2014.

I only played got to play 2 and 3 when the HD collection came out. This is after playing 4 too. It's different, but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be

Xater

MGS3 is fundamentally broken without the free camera, and this comes from someone who played it on the PS2, when it was released. Luckily, they're playing the HD version of 2 and i assume that if they continue they'll play 3 on there, as well, meaning that he'll not only have the free camera but also that smooth ass framerate, too.

Agreed, I hated the original release. Probably why I don#t love MGS3 as much as other people.

Zaph

more stuff

If both of you could edit your posts before El Hefe wakes up, that would be great.

PreciousHairyCanary.gif

Bacon

Rorie was really great on the bombcast this week. I'd love it if he could show up more regularly although I'm sure moderating takes a lot of his time during the week.

Ominym

Banned
That was great. Rorie is fantastic at just waxing lyrical, I really miss Screened. Wish he had more free time at work to do a regular feature aside from UPF.

Rorie's a cool dude. Agreed that I'd like to see him on more.

Speaking of which, I messaged him on Giant Bomb trying to get my name changed over there and he got to it in under two hours. He must be kicking ass and taking names on support lately.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Rorie was really great on the bombcast this week. I'd love it if he could show up more regularly although I'm sure moderating takes a lot of his time during the week.

I always enjoy Rorie on any podcast. I wish he had time to be there more often. I also hope he is on the GotY Bombcast but that probably won't happen.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Behind the Screened DoorBox Office Bomb should be a weekly thing. Only Premium podcast I care about. Heck, fortnightly would also be a huge improvement.

They don't watch enough movies for that I think but a more regular schedule (like once a month or something like that ) would be cool. They don't even need to talk strictly about movies, I always enjoy hearing their thoughts on TV shows etc.

Charlie has been my Go To RPG name for 5 years.

I am starting Dragon Age Inquisition as a lady tomorrow and I legit cant think of a decent female name.

I guess Charlie sounds a bit feminine so it doesn't really matter?

I could go with Charlotte but then I will be thinking of Ric Flair the entire time.

Bacon

I am starting Dragon Age Inquisition as a lady tomorrow and I legit cant think of a decent female name.

I could go with Charlotte but then I will be thinking of Ric Flair the entire time.

You could go charlize and think of charlize theron the whole time.

demidar

Finished main story, with a team at Lvl 72. I know I missed a ton of side-quests though

That's fine, the third act is the weakest and I wasn't sure if you dropped it at that point. You look ready to take on another JRPG then.

Isn't Charlie a unisex name?

Go with Chyna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom