• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

I'm not sure I agree with that. He seems like the kind of guy that makes his own luck. I've never gotten the sense that things have ever just been handed to him.

That's true. He's definitely a hard worker. Maybe it's a combination of hard work and good personality? Out of all of the crew it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he became some kind of celebrity overnight. He seems to attract lots of famous people really easily for some reason.

Honestly, since Jeff Green crossed over to the "other side" I'd wager Jeff might be like the longest on-going professional games critic. Maybe Andy Mahood if he's still doing reviews? I know he just wrote a book, so I'm not sure what he's up to.
Julian Rignall (currently of USGamer, instrumental in the early success of IGN and UK games magazine veteran) springs to mind.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just can't get over the fact that Jeff is the only guy with an actual name but he has the silliest picture imaginable.

What an odd thing to say.
yeah, you can have cancer and totally breathe just fine. not sure he knows how cancer works

Zaph is referencing something TB said. He said the death threats against Sarkeesian are not credible because she is still breathing ;)

Are you sure he has cancer? Because, well, to put it bluntly, he is still breathing.

giantbombdickickersthnseey.gif

I see what you did there. Dark as fuck for anyone who doesn't get it, mind!

Doesn't make it funny.

TB supported gamergate insofar as transparency in media. He put out his statements at the very start of the whole thing, when there was a flurry of activity and misinformation. I'd imagine by now, like many people, he doesn't feel the same way about it as he did when it first came out.

Zaph

What an odd thing to say.

yeah, you can have cancer and totally breathe just fine. not sure he knows how cancer works

Yeah that's pretty fucked up sounding.

Just to nip this in the bud - one of the most egregious things TB has said was to question the severity of Anita Sarkeesian's death threats, and I quote "...because, well, to put it bluntly, she is still breathing."

TB supported gamergate insofar as transparency in media. He put out his statements at the very start of the whole thing, when there was a flurry of activity and misinformation. I'd imagine by now, like many people, he doesn't feel the same way about it as he did when it first came out.
You'd be shocked. But that's really a conversation for http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918685

GolazoDan

Doesn't make it funny.

TB supported gamergate insofar as transparency in media. He put out his statements at the very start of the whole thing. I'd imagine by now, like many people, he doesn't feel the same way about it as he did when it first came out.
He's pretty much double downed on the whole thing to be honest. Which is weird. All the other rats have jumped overboard and he's still there.

Doesn't make it funny.

You'd imagine that, because you're clearly a well-adjusted person with some level of optimism

sadly, that's not the case, as TB has pretty much never shut up about this for the last, ooh, month or so

Aaron

I'm not sure I agree with that. He seems like the kind of guy that makes his own luck. I've never gotten the sense that things have ever just been handed to him.
That's really how luck works though. Sure, Dan worked hard, but there are plenty of other people who worked just as hard, and didn't get his opportunities. There's no way he wasn't the only person to email Gamestop about a commercial idea they had, but he got the right idea to the right person, producing something that would eventually get him a job at Game Informer. Luck rarely comes to those sitting on their ass, but plenty of people bust their asses, and never get that golden opportunity.

Just think it's funny Jeff gets nominated in this Trending Gamer thing after he's recently talked about how he's been shying away from social media.

Anyway, they should give the prize based on Mixlr subs.

Kirlia

Banned
That's really how luck works though. Sure, Dan worked hard, but there are plenty of other people who worked just as hard, and didn't get his opportunities. There's no way he wasn't the only person to email Gamestop about a commercial idea they had, but he got the right idea to the right person, producing something that would eventually get him a job at Game Informer. Luck rarely comes to those sitting on their ass, but plenty of people bust their asses, and never get that golden opportunity.

If Dan were an RPG character, Luck would be his highest stat.

Just think it's funny Jeff gets nominated in this Trending Gamer thing after he's recently talked about how he's been shying away from social media.

Anyway, they should give the prize based on Mixlr subs.

I'm expecting PewDiePie to win and for me to feel massive disappointment.

PewDiePie is the John Cena of gamers. He's got this one whether you like it or not.

Brace yourself for an incredibly loud and cringeworthy acceptance speech.

Well, we don't know the nature of his pitch and the details of how it all went down. We've gotten the short story from Dan about how he just called up Gamestop corporate and got this deal made, but I'm sure there's probably a lot more nuance to what actually transpired. Even after that Gamestop thing, he still wrote hundreds of reviews and was constantly keeping in contact with the Game Informer people before a position finally opened for him.

Myggen

Haha Zaph, have to give you creds for that comment which I'm sure seemed awful to people without context :p

Anyways, must be strange for Jeff to be nominated for an award like that, especially since he's a judge!

Jeff Gerstmann @jeffgerstmann · 1 hour ago

I don’t trend. I’m eternal. Eternal!

Well, we don't know the nature of his pitch and the details of how it all went down. We've gotten the short story from Dan about how he just called up Gamestop corporate and got this deal made, but I'm sure there's probably a lot more nuance to what actually transpired. Even after that Gamestop thing, he still wrote hundreds of reviews and was constantly keeping in contact with the Game Informer people before a position finally opened for him.

Let's not get too hasty here. The only reason Dan should have great luck stats is because he didn't suffer third degree burns when a Roman candle exploded inside the pockets of his USA pants.

LeBart

PewDiePie is the John Cena of gamers. He's got this one whether you like it or not.

Brace yourself for an incredibly loud and cringeworthy acceptance speech.

You mean people who don't know a lot about games like him? Because I kinda like John Cena, and I don't know shiiiiit about Wrestling.

You'd imagine that, because you're clearly a well-adjusted person with some level of optimism

sadly, that's not the case, as TB has pretty much never shut up about this for the last, ooh, month or so

I don't really follow social media, nor do I tend to watch his opinion/podcast videos, so I guess I missed that.

What kind of content does he make? I thought he was just kind of a talking head for the games industry.

He does nice PC performance videos of various games which saved me from some bad purchases and got me into a few games I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm expecting PewDiePie to win and for me to feel massive disappointment.

Don't make me feel this sad on the inside.

Listening to the podcast now and damn, Jeff is on point with Halo: MCC

Indeed.

dat 3 step process.

Yup, he really is. That was probably my favorite moment of this weeks podcast. Jeff is really good at mixing humor and seriousness when he needs to.

Thats what made the "biggest disappointment" segment so great since he went all in due to SimCity being such a fuck up. Bonus points to the other guys feeling really bad as well

You mean people who don't know a lot about games like him? Because I kinda like John Cena, and I don't know shiiiiit about Wrestling.

You know what I take that back, because Cena really does seem like a cool dude. PDP just seems like a person who's presence would just give ulcers left and right.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
32 inches is pretty big for a monitor.

The biggest I would go for is 30 inches.

Edit: though I guess it depends if you're using it on a computer desk or as a TV.

justjim89

Man, I wish there was more GB could do about people stealing premium vids and sharing them. Anytime I make the mistake of going on /v/ there's always a thread about how to watch premium videos for free and bitching about Patrick, which is funny because Patrick is more in the background than he's ever been in his time on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom