• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Well, we don't know the nature of his pitch and the details of how it all went down. We've gotten the short story from Dan about how he just called up Gamestop corporate and got this deal made, but I'm sure there's probably a lot more nuance to what actually transpired. Even after that Gamestop thing, he still wrote hundreds of reviews and was constantly keeping in contact with the Game Informer people before a position finally opened for him.
And I personally know at least a dozen people who have done just as much, but didn't get a job at Game Informer or other notable games writing job. There's no denying Dan worked hard to get where he is, but luck is still a factor.

Myggen

Man, I wish there was more GB could do about people stealing premium vids and sharing them. Anytime I make the mistake of going on /v/ there's always a thread about how to watch premium videos for free and bitching about Patrick, which is funny because Patrick is more in the background than he's ever been in his time on the site.

If people want to pirate something, they'll pirate it. Not much you can do about that, sadly.

B26O5u0CMAAK1ny.jpg:large
lol Vinny

If people want to pirate something, they'll pirate it. Not much you can do about that, sadly.

even that crappy video app that i paid like $2 for was pirated. You just gotta hope that those non-paying fans will eventually convert to paying fans with time. $35 a year isn't much to ask for, i watch GB more than i watch TV easily so paying less that $3 a month seems like such a bargain when i get hours of content from them. it seems like a shame that a small section of the internet doesn't see it that way.

I also feel like those highlight videos from their premium content is shady as fuck, too, but if they're not pulling them from youtube then who am i to get annoyed by it?

Myggen

Has this been posted here before? Dave Lang is on a regular podcast now, TeamGFBRadio, with another guy from Iron Galaxy.

http://teamgfbradio.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/teamgfbradio/id942349906

TeamGFB_478.jpg

Join Dave Lang and Darryl Wisner as they share tales from the front lines of game development. They have worked on all sorts of games, and they talk about them all. The guys also talk about current events in the industry, and try to offer a unique perspective on the state of games today. Also, travel stories. Lots of travel stories.

Would be real great if Jeff won but as soon as those youtubers get wind of a popularity contest you bet your ass they will actually try get people vote for them.

jgminto

I want him to win solely to hear what his speech would be. What would a Jeff Gerstmann awards-acceptance speech sound like?

"Thanks, you dumb assholes."

*drops mic*

I'm sure this will continue the proud tradition of the VGA/Xs in not actually showing the awards during broadcast.

Patryn

New GBEast office video!

Also, Patrick's raving about Dragon Age already, so it seems like it has a shot on the GOTY list after all.

The only way I see it making the list is if Patrick also gets another staffer to play it. Brad's the obvious choice, but we'll see.

If not, I expect that Divinity would make the list first, given that both Brad and Patrick played and loved that game, and Jeff doesn't have opinions one way or the other on that game as far as I can tell.

Myggen

Vinny confirms that they're both "going to San Francisco pretty soon", so Vinny confirmed for GOTY if that wasn't clear from Alex's comments already.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Vinny confirms that they're both "going to San Francisco pretty soon", so Vinny confirmed for GOTY if that wasn't clear from Alex's comments already.

I knew vinny would be game of the year.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've Seen the Light on Dragon Age, and It's Glorious

sounds like an IGN article title lmao

and you don't even have to look at the GG stuff when it comes to Total Biscuit. dude is just an entitled prick tbh.

Chris R

I wanted a QL of the new Persona game to see if I was going to buy it, but then I saw some gameplay stuff. I didn't realize it was an Etrian style of game :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom