• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saytin' A NXT Revolution recap show after everyone has watched it would be great.

Top to bottom that show was the best wrestling show I have seen in years and it will be s shame if they have all forgotten about it by the next episode which will probably be just before the Rumble.

And maybe talk about TLC as well I guess. Is that this week? A sub 1 hour surprise Power Bomb before the break would be a nice present.

Yip TLC is tomorrow.

Fox318

PowerBombcast notes

• I have no idea why Jeff likes John Cena. Is it because he saw him backstage once and he said hello or something? Is it because of the wannabe rapster gimmick?
  • Dan should stick to wrestling. As much as promo stuff can make anticipation exciting its the fight that matters. Look at the Pacquiao vs Mayweather potential fight for example. Its about if the fight will happen not a person's charisma. No way UFC sacrifices that for CM Punk. Bellator on the other hand....
    • 5ISE3dw.gif
    • Lets not forget the last time they tried to add wrestling flavor to a sport
    • 9xu85DYl.png
  • Why is there such a hatred of smarks? Why is it in wrestling that anyone who takes an interest outside of wearing trashy T-Shirts and watching on Monday's is condemned?
    • Sidenote to the smark thing most fans have done nothing but praise the latest NXT PPV event.
  • Definitely agree with the comments on the companies(WWE)
  • Their movie business has only just made a profit. (With investing in films like Occlus). Most of the films that have stared wrestlers or featured them that WWE has funded or produced have done nothing but lose money. So to say that the WWE survives on films is false. Lets not forget some of there films
  • Their attempts at public awareness is laughable and the problem they have had is who their product is targeted towards. Having a show targeted towards kids when most of the kids are in bed is stupid. Its why people don't attend the shows and they don't look lively. They have a 3 hour raw and 1 hour taped show (Superstars).
    0mSu2AGl.jpg
  • On Wrestling not being a real sport I think that depends on how it is presented. WCW for a long time had a more sports feel. The modern day stuff is really more like ballet. The term sports entertainment was coined for the sole purpose of avoiding state sports boards. (Which demanded a payment as well as health standards for performers)
    • I don't remember what state this was but when the territories were around the state would cover health expenses for wrestlers if they were injured inside of the ring but not outside of the ring. This lead to many performers either not wanting to leave the ring or always telling the doctor that they were injured in the ring as apposed to on the mats outside of the ring.
  • No WCW World War 3 PPV review.
  • The stairs match I believe was added after this
    botch
    by the big show
  • Dogs and wrestling have always been together
    • aTL4yqW.gif
    • H2JP8Lp.gif
    • CRRYXSjl.png
    • mFTofVZ.jpg

R4FZoGk.jpg
  • Vince runs his company with the combined styling of Howard Hughes and Jim Jones.

Good show overall.

I mean, the Cena thing's not that hard to understand. The guy's very talented, loyal, and hardworking. You don't have to like him as a performer (I don't) to respect him.

Dan, if you're reading this, did you know the incredibly awesome MGS theme (composed by TAPPY in MGS1, and expanded by Harry Gregson-Williams in MGS2/MGS3) was apparently a rip-off of some old orchestral piece of Russian music called Winter Road, originally composed in 1974? Apparently when Kojima found out about this he decided to not use the track in any new MGS games out of respect of Georgy Vasilyevich Sviridov, the original composer (He died in early 1998, the same year MGS 1 released). I had wondered why the theme never showed up in MGS IV or MGS V: GZ. There's the answer.

Here's the MGS 1 theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3zMu707XU
Here's Winter Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v7t2p7FR0
Here's someone showing Kojima the similarities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI
Here's a Wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappi_Iwase

It's such as shame, really, because it is such a powerful and recognizable theme and will never reappear in future Metal Gear Solid releases.

TraBuch

Banned
I kinda wish they'd do a mini Powerbombcast just to hear them talk about Finn Balor's entrance. I literally got goosebumps.

Also has the best theme music in wrestling.

So I don't know what wrestling is really, I've never listened to the Powerbombcast until tonight, and all of a sudden I'm going back into the archives to listen to the first one now.

2142221-1870389_1205095_never_super.jpg

why are you torn on rock boshers, did they thrash it in the ql? haven't watched it, yet

That game is like an uncanny valley.

1. The game seems funky
2. Jammy scones are alright
3. Spectrum is back baby
4. Danny is apparently British

Christmas is saved. Greg will make us whole again by soloing the raid.

Myggen

Jared's delayed reaction at Alex's shameful story at the end of the Power Bombcast was fantastic.

Jared is fantastic in general.

He actually just tweeted for the first time since October a couple days ago. Best of giant bombcast 2014 coming January 1st!!

Nice!

I wonder people who post in the bombcast threads are members

Well, there seems to be a lot of people who's just noticed that the GB crew are very "jaded". Make of that what you will :p

MG310

One of mine as well, though it's pretty tough to re-watch the back half of it. Not because it's bad, but because it was supposed to be hard to watch some of those scenes unfold.

This. Though not the entire back half..just the hockey game/aftermath.

Rock Boshers DX is a fantastic reminder of how privileged I was growing up in the US instead of the UK. I don't know if I could have survived with the Zed X Spectrum and Amiga instead of the NES and Genesis.

justjim89

Trying my best not to sound too American here, but does anyone know why exactly Brits say zed instead of zee? Is it in anyway related to Lord Zed, the antagonist from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers?

And the biscuit/cookie/scone thing will never cease to baffle me.

Enjoyable Powerbombcast, though I wish there was at least one Sting mark in the bunch. And they're a bit hard on the Bella twins. No woman on the main roster is given much of a shot at all thanks to some rather sexist booking thanks to Kevin Dunn. And the Bellas themselves have majorly improved in the last year or so in the ring.

Joeku

Americans only say Zee because of the ABC Song, which was written by an American. Zed is the original pronunciation, said everywhere except the US.

EDIT: I say this as a pseudo-knowledgeable Canadian.

rObit

Banned
I actually thought the ZX Spectrum was called the Zedex Spectrum for a long time, since I'd never seen one and only ever heard Europeans refer to it.

popo

Rock Boshers DX is a fantastic reminder of how privileged I was growing up in the US instead of the UK. I don't know if I could have survived with the Zed X Spectrum and Amiga instead of the NES and Genesis.

Both were available. The megadrive was very popular. Amiga was more or less dead before the snes/megadrive came out. Also I remember pirating games like fook for the amiga as a kid. Lots of playground trading of floppies. No doubt explained a lot of it's popularity.

Both were available. The megadrive was very popular. Amiga was more or less dead before the snes/megadrive came out. Also I remember pirating games like fook for the amiga as a kid. Lots of playground trading of floppies. No doubt explained a lot of it's popularity.

Thanks for reminding me about my favorite part of the Amiga: A lot (I mean a LOT) of devs say fuck you to pirates. Some hot homophobia and empty threats from Matt Furniss in there.

Oh, and also extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom