• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jam isn't in Xrd? I feel like a dick for saying this but I have no interest in it now. She's the only character that ever clicked with me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really want to get the new guilty gear.

But I'm currently on a mission to mop up my gigantic JRPG backlog.

:<

Ah well, I'll wait for the PAL release, which should give me a waiting time of a few months to eternity.

Plus no bridget makes the wait a bit easier.

Dan seriously hit the ground running and he's exactly the shot in the arm they needed. He is in a lot of things, but, that's just apparently in his nature to come up with ideas for features, specials, premium content and - the key point - follow through on them! And now he has an outlet that's not suppressing it. Nor should they. Let the man do work.

Question.

Are fight sticks actually a better way to play fighting games and other arcade style games or is it purly a thing for old people who played games in arcades?

Steering wheels and flight sticks make more sense to me but I never "got" arcade sticks.

Question.

Are fight sticks actually a better way to play fighting games and other arcade style games or is it purly a thing for old people who played games in arcades?

Steering wheels and flight sticks make more sense to me but I never "got" arcade sticks.

Id rather have a good pad than use a fightstick.

Patryn

Question.

Didn't a dude just win a major tournament using a PS1 controller?

I could never get into sticks. It seems incredibly imprecise for something that requires perfect timing and precision (fighting games). I've always rolled with a Saturn pad, and done pretty damn well with it too.

Curufinwe

Question.

Doing certain motions reliably is a lot easier on a good arcade stick.

I could never get into sticks. It seems incredibly imprecise for something that requires perfect timing and precision (fighting games). I've always rolled with a Saturn pad, and done pretty damn well with it too.

How is a microswitched arcade stick less precise than a D-pad or analog stick?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Question.

Most newer fighting game players use them, too. But today it's much more about what you like. The EVO Street Fighter champion this year used a Playstation 1 controller, for example.

In terms of "getting it": all the moves are designed for them. Digital movement inputs, six buttons next to each other. That's what they had in mind when making up the game and you can feel in. One technique to make the game easier in SF4, plinking, is pretty much not possible on controllers.

Won using a controller, yeah, but there's a reason it was news: it's a pretty rare exception. Most in the FGC prefer arcade sticks from what I've seen.
Not that rare, especially in the US. Snake Eyez and Smug, two of the best American SF players right now use controllers, too.

How is a microswitched arcade stick less precise than a D-pad or analog stick?

it feels less precise to me because im clumsy and i have issues hitting perfect directions on the joystick. It's especially noticeable when i play something like MK, which is less diagonals and more cardinal directions.

So im not saying sticks aren't good, im saying that they don't feel good to me and i don't think they make sense given the genre. But im also not playing at some crazy Evo-level, either, just an above average online fighter.

The irony of Dan saying he didn't watch an animated movie in the last 15 years because "he became an adult"...hah...

he also saw Akira like not even a month ago or something

Curufinwe

Most newer fighting game players use them, too. But today it's much more about what you like. The EVO Street Fighter champion this year used a Playstation 1 controller, for example.

In terms of "getting it": all the moves are designed for them. Digital movement inputs, six buttons next to each other. That's what they had in mind when making up the game and you can feel in. One technique to make the game easier in SF4, plinking, is pretty much not possible on controllers.

Aside from the inherently more precise control you get from the digital stick, being able to use all the fingers on your right hand on the buttons comfortably is another reason fighting games control better with an arcade stick.

Someone in gaming asked about the possibility of a Marvel fighting game from Disney and it got me thinking how close are Johnny V and Dave Lang?

We have already seen fruits to Johnny V and Adam Boyes being buddies and making all that Double Fine stuff happen, or that exclusive Sony / Disney Infinity deals or Johnny V and John Drake and that Fantasia game.

What I am saying is if Disney announces a Iron Galaxy developed fighting game in the next year or two GiantBomb should really start charging a finders fee. Or Jeff should just quit GB and become the director of external development at Disney.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Being able to license a property as big as marvel is probably way out of the leagues of handshakes between JV and DL.

so are they gonna keep cams of their faces on the sides of the screen for MGS3 or are they going to put still frames of their faces on the sides of the screen and keep the audio coming in? Because the latter is more appropriate for MGS3 and i wouldn't mind at least seeing them try it out, haha

so are they gonna keep cams of their faces on the sides of the screen for MGS3 or are they going to put still frames of their faces on the sides of the screen and keep the audio coming in? Because the latter is more appropriate for MGS3 and i wouldn't mind at least seeing them try it out, haha
They should use crayon drawings of themselves. Just because.

Seeing their reactions is usually pretty amazing, so I hope it's not stills.

Someone in gaming asked about the possibility of a Marvel fighting game from Disney and it got me thinking how close are Johnny V and Dave Lang?

We have already seen fruits to Johnny V and Adam Boyes being buddies and making all that Double Fine stuff happen, or that exclusive Sony / Disney Infinity deals or Johnny V and John Drake and that Fantasia game.

What I am saying is if Disney announces a Iron Galaxy developed fighting game in the next year or two GiantBomb should really start charging a finders fee. Or Jeff should just quit GB and become the director of external development at Disney.

Finders fee? Those two knew each other long before GB was a thing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yes yes yes

siKZw6Z.png

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/sims-mega-bundle/

Hopefully Simmy Caravella makes a reappearance in 2015.

FluxWaveZ

Looking at the Xrd Quick Look, I'm suddenly not convinced that the game is as unintelligible or technical compared to others as they claim. There are a whole bunch of unique mechanics to learn in any fighting game from MK9 to MvC3, but they seem to approach these "anime" ones with utter confusion, when they're actually pretty straightforward if one takes the few minutes to learn instead of mash.

But I guess everyone except for Dan was also confused about how Smash works (and ridiculed its quality as a fighting game for that reason), even after that first Unfinished, so it's probably more about sticking to the kinds of FGs they know rather than the actual cause being the complexity of others.

Looking at the Xrd Quick Look, I'm suddenly not convinced that the game is as unintelligible or technical compared to others as they claim. There are a whole bunch of unique mechanics to learn in any fighting game from MK9 to MvC3, but they seem to approach these "anime" ones with utter confusion, when they're actually pretty straightforward if one takes the few minutes to learn instead of mash.

But I guess everyone except for Dan was also confused about how Smash works (and ridiculed its quality as a fighting game for that reason), even after that first Unfinished, so it's probably more about sticking to the kinds of FGs they know rather than the actual cause being the complexity of others.
just seeing that i can see where youre coming from

but all the people i know who actually know fighting games in and out say the same stuff (complicated crazy systems, stuff is different for no reason etc.) so im inclined to just take my friends words for it

it's already been established that his degree is largely a sham.

I mean speaking as a liberal arts graduate, they all kind of are, but his more than most.

its a sham not because its liberal arts but because it came from ku

M I Z

F K U

f0rk

I'm not sure Dan actual knows how smash works

Kirlia

Banned
The irony of Dan saying he didn't watch an animated movie in the last 15 years because "he became an adult"...hah...

That is far and away the most disappointing thing that Dan has said yet.

You need to watch more animated movies, Dan. You'll be a better person for it.

Guilty Gear has always been a bit more complex than other fighters, and that's coming from someone who grew up on fighting games in the 90s. It's not hard to wrap your head around it, but it could serve to have a really thorough tutorial. Perhaps the newer games have that, i haven't kept up with the series myself after #.

And that's another thing: They've given such dumb names to their iterations that they've made it somewhat difficult for a casual person to know where to jump in. You want to play Mortal Kombat? Get Mortal Kombat, You want to get into Street Fighter? Well, there's vanilla, Super, Arcade, and Ultra. A little more complex but not crazy, you can see how Ultra would be a natural end and better/newer than Super or vanilla. Marvel vs Capcom? Well, there's MVC3 and UMVC3. Pretty simple. King of Fighters? First, it was labeled by year (98,99, etc) then they went with numbers (XII, XIII). Pretty easy.

You wanna get into Guilty Gear?

Guilty Gear X
Guilty Gear X2
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Guilty Gear Isuka
Guilty Gear Judgment
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Guilty Gear 2: Overture
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R

I'm not sure which is an actual fighter or not, but they could've been a bit less confusing about what the hell is going on. Like, there's a GG2 in the middle there and it already has a subtitle but it's never brought up again and they decide to go all in with XX, instead.

as to complexity, I had a friend describe BlazBlue as "dota complex." That every fighter almost feels like they're a mini-fighting game of their own. Maybe they were exaggerating, but that turned me off to the whole thing completely. And i have a BlazBlue game, hah.

Myggen

Trust me, Guilty Gear is complex. BlazBlue might be even more complex, but Guilty Gear is an extremely deep fighter. It has that reputation for a reason (some of it is probably because of the bad tutorials the series has had in the past, but it's also the game itself). I gave up on the series a few years ago, but I'm guessing not much has changed.

Aerocrane

Guilty Gear has always been a bit more complex than other fighters, and that's coming from someone who grew up on fighting games in the 90s. It's not hard to wrap your head around it, but it could serve to have a really thorough tutorial. Perhaps the newer games have that, i haven't kept up with the series myself after #.

Well Blazblue and Persona 4 Arena both have very detailed tutorials, so this new Guilty Gear most likely has a good tutorial too. Guilty Gear 2: Overture is the weird 3D game, and from what I've heard Xrd continues the story from there.

The way how Guilty Gear games are named is dumb, but that's mostly because there were four updated versions of X2: #Reload, Accent Core, Accent Core Plus, Accent Core Plus R. The actual sequels are indicated by the amount of Xs in the name.

FluxWaveZ

And that's another thing: They've given such dumb names to their iterations that they've made it somewhat difficult for a casual person to know where to jump in. You want to play Mortal Kombat? Get Mortal Kombat, You want to get into Street Fighter? Well, there's vanilla, Super, Arcade, and Ultra. A little more complex but not crazy, you can see how Ultra would be a natural end and better/newer than Super or vanilla. Marvel vs Capcom? Well, there's MVC3 and UMVC3. Pretty simple. King of Fighters? First, it was labeled by year (98,99, etc) then they went with numbers (XII, XIII). Pretty easy.

Xrd has an in-depth and exhaustive tutorial that fully explains all of the game's mechanics, combined with the game's challenge mode which shows off how each individual character works and the mission mode which gives contextual battle scenarios to execute. What is it that makes Guilty Gear more complex than Marvel, Injustice or Killer Instinct? The game is less reliant on combos than 2 out of those 3, even. The execution is higher, though, which might be what people mean, but in terms of fundamental mechanics? I'm not really seeing it.

And I'm not quite sure why someone would necessarily want to jump into a fighting game via an older iteration of it. I started playing FGs with SF4 back in 2009, and since then I've just gotten into the newer versions of fighting games I had been previously unfamiliar with.

Trust me, Guilty Gear is complex. BlazBlue might be even more complex, but Guilty Gear is an extremely deep fighter. It has that reputation for a reason (some of it is probably because of the bad tutorials the series has had in the past, but it's also the game itself). I gave up on the series a few years ago, but I'm guessing not much has changed.

I guess I'm just lost as to why. Xrd is literally my first Guilty Gear, which I just got into last month, and I'm finding it just as approachable as I did when I first tried out Injustice. That game has traits, interactables, stage transitions, push blocks, wagers/clashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom