• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

He's got a point, though, might as well not dig too deep into that discussion given how uncertain the numbers are.

I just feel bad for Dany M, having one of his favorite dads chew him out like that.

True but telling the one person moaning about the emails to write better emails was overly defensive.

Pomo

As someone who grew up loving the bands that Dan loves even though they were already "old", and still loves those bands... I think Dan couldn't be more wrong. He's either being deliberately obtuse or he's not looking. There is some spectacular music out there these days.
Yeah, same here. I love Dan to death, and I still love those older bands, but there's a hell of a lot of fantastic modern music out there if you just open your mind a little.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dude, you should know by now that he uses twitter to get a rise out of people 80% of the time.

That said, long live robot music.

tumblr_mnbo1uliIN1s8d736o1_400.gif

I can honestly say I actively dislike a lot of the music Dan talks about listening to. Listening to Guns n Roses makes me want to take a shower.

then again i have a kanye west avatar so what do i know

I feel like the poe's law of internet music discussion is merzbow. If it goes on long enough, some joker will inevitably post a merzbow song.

I heard Jeff Hired that Klepek guy who wrote that MTV article about Advertising in Achievements for the news position. I hope he is good.

I legitimately really like noise and experimental music. Like, a lot. Merzbow specifically? not really my cup of tea. but like I said, someone will always bring it up. It's almost comforting, like watching a clock tick over on a new hour.

Myggen

Daft Punk's Discovery is (probably) the best album ever made. This is just a (probable) fact of the universe.

Top 10 for me, easily. Homework is great too, not a big fan of their later work.

edit: Alive 2007 is great too.

RTJ2 is really great, but I haven't seen enough love for Logic's Under Pressure.

Under Pressure is just one of those albums I've seen a lot of people get into, that I can't understand that people can love. I think it's mainly because I hate Logic as a lyricist. RTJ2 though, album of the year.

K.Sabot

I legitimately really like noise and experimental music. Like, a lot. Merzbow specifically? not really my cup of tea. but like I said, someone will always bring it up. It's almost comforting, like watching a clock tick over on a new hour.

I like a good noise album, there are people that take that noise concept and make an actually entertaining album like Pete Swanson or Women, but I've never gotten into anything that's pure noise without any feasible direction.

Yeah I like Death Grips. I like that they're super abrasive but still use a lot of hip-hop sensibilities in their music. I mean I'm not the biggest fan but I appreciate how different they are (compared to the rest of the music I listen to, at least).

As far as Daft Punk goes, I think RAM is one of their best albums. It's like the prequel to Discovery; on RAM they're making the music they've been sampling for years.

Anastasia

Under Pressure is just one of those albums I've seen a lot of people get into, that I can't understand that people can love. I think it's mainly because I hate Logic as a lyricist. RTJ2 though, album of the year.

I'm not crazy about some of his lyrics, but there are a lot of great beats, and the album has a laidback feel to it I really like. I think RTJ2 is a much stronger album overall though. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.

Did anyone here like Death Grips? I'm still not sure if people liked them unironically or what.

Exmilitary is fucking incredible. Money Store came close. the rest is okay.

re: noise- I don't necessarily need structure or direction, but I do like dynamics. I can get into stuff like Hanatarash and Hijokaidan or the Gerogerigegege but I'd rather listen to Nurse With Wound or something like that.

Pomo

Exmilitary is fucking incredible. Money Store came close. the rest is okay.

re: noise- I don't necessarily need structure or direction, but I do like dynamics. I can get into stuff like Hanatarash and Hijokaidan or the Gerogerigegege but I'd rather listen to Nurse With Wound or something like that.

Have you heard any of Aaron Dilloway's stuff?

daydream

Banned
Also kinda off-topic but I just got 999.

Time to see why Patrick was making all that fuss!

It's enjoyable but too convoluted for its own good. Also, the puzzle aspects are pretty weak, so much so that they kept me from replaying the game (which is actually kinda the point of it all). You can't skip the puzzle portions like you can in the sequel.

So people genuinely like Death Grips. Is Lil B also liked unironically?

From what I gather, yes. He is indeed ridiculous, but it's also weirdly refreshing to see someone put out music and sincerely not give a fuck if it's good or not. It's clear he's just having fun, and it comes through in his music.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I feel like liking things ironically is played out now. People just genuinely like dumb/weird stuff.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/63354280213/not-sure-if-this-has-been-asked-before-but-i-was

I'm going to disagree with how he thinks Lil B seems calculated. I really don't think you can make that stuff up.

this is my favorite statement about yung lean ever

Yung Lean comes off like someone you would have heard back in the dark, old mp3.com days alongside, like, Prozac and Uhmer and all those other “hot” “rappers” with “sick” “flows.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom