• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

by destroying his voice
having no codecs

i dont think so

Never cared about codecs and lol controversy over voice.

edit: I literally played it for the first time just 20 minutes ago and it basically made me interested in Phantom Pain. Main issue I've had with post-MGS2 have been the clunky controls. Ground Zeroes plays as smooth as butter.

Never cared about codecs and lol controversy over voice.

edit: I literally played it for the first time just 20 minutes ago and it basically made me interested in Phantom Pain. Main issue I've had with post-MGS2 have been the clunky controls. Ground Zeroes plays as smooth as butter.
i mean codecs are a huge part of 1 through 3

some runs i probably spent half the time just reading/listening to codecs

snake barely talks anymore when he does there's super obvious obfuscation of his mouth and face

its like Sutherland was way more expensive per hour so lets not record that much they wont notice oh and no face mocap

so even if you werent somehow attached to the classic voice over the last 15 years you're still getting ripped off solely because Kojima got starstruck

controls are smoother yeah but after an hour any of the old ones are fine and i can do whatever i want with them anyway

daydream

Banned
If I hadn't watched any Quick Looks since the beginning of August, where should I start?

Well, I'd say the QLs you need to watch (in chronological order since Aug 1) are:

Pineview Drive (Dan x Drew) - The horror of keys.
Mount Your Friends (Dan x Jeff x Drew x Brad) - It's Mount Your Friends.
Blackbay Asylum (Vinny x Alex) - Vinny is weirdly into it.
AR-K (Vinny x Alex) - Funny adventure game QL (the QL being funny, the game.. well)
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (Dan x Jeff) - Realistic Akihabara simulation.
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Dan x Jeff) - Brought to you by Musou experts.
Hatoful Boyfriend (Dan x Danny) - This QL is just a figment of your imagination.
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Vinny x Alex) - Fuck, I still want to play this badly.
Fenix Rage (Dan x Drew) - Dan really keeps it together during this.
FIFA 15 (Jeff x Danny x Alexis) - Jeff started a new Sports Team.
Vib-Ribbon (Jeff x Brad) - The internet did this.
Duck Dynasty (Vinny x Alex) - There are ducks in this.
The Legend of Korra (Dan x Jason) - Jason decides to start over.
Arcade Archives: Round 02 (Dan x Jeff) - Hamster keeps the Game Room dream "alive".
Dreamfall Chapters: Book One: Reborn (Vinny x Alex) - Shitbot is not gonna win Best Character, sorry.
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Vinny x Alex) - Feature length.
Enforcer: Police. Crime. Action (Vinny x Alex) - A law enforcement epic.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Dan x Jeff) - Something about a pad.
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Jeff x Vinny) - AKA the best thing of 2014.

That said, there are a ton of other good ones, of course. I feel like no one should miss these, however.

justjim89

snake barely talks anymore when he does there's super obvious obfuscation of his mouth and face

its like Sutherland was way more expensive per hour so lets not record that much they wont notice oh and no face mocap

so even if you werent somehow attached to the classic voice over the last 15 years you're still getting ripped off solely because Kojima got starstruck

controls are smoother yeah but after an hour any of the old ones are fine and i can do whatever i want with them anyway

I mostly agree with this as far as missing the tone of MGS. Regenerating health, raspberry jam on the screen, a (virtually) silent protagonist, no codecs, etc. But I must say the game plays fucking incredibly. The controls are intuitive and sensible, and it plays like a modern game ought to. All of the gameplay function of the old games made much less cumbersome. Some of the fundamental formula changes we'll probably have to live with i.e. no codec screen and regenerating health, but that's not to say it's all gone. If some of the recent media about the game is to be believed, it still looks like it has a sense of humor and that great MGS camp.

I wouldn't mind the Sutherland issue as much if Snake actually spoke, but in Ground Zeroes and the gameplay we've seen from Phantom Pain he barely talks. A sentence here or a word there. If this is supposed to take us down Big Boss's road to villainy, it may actually take some god damn characterization and dialogue. He's not Link, he's not Gordon Freeman, he's not the Vault Dweller, he's not some blank slate through which the player lives as part of the story. He's a central character and the major catalyst for the whole series and this looks to be a pivotal chapter in his story. And how do you develop a character who feels so detached from the events surrounding him. It's like watching Drive or some other Ryan Gosling movie and the only way we can tell what he's potentially feeling or experiencing emotionally is through the situational context around his stoic ass face (or voice, as it were.) I'm hoping I'm way off base here and we get plenty of talky bits, because if Kojima for the first time in his damn career underwrote a script just so he could hire a big time action star as the voice of Big Boss, then he's no longer fit to run this series.

All that aside, I think Ground Zeroes is so light on story and characterization is because it exists primarily to teach players how to play MGSV so that whenever it comes out, we can jump in with both feet. I can't wait to play that game, especially now that I know how well the Fox engine scales to PCs, especially lower end laptops like mine.

By the way, more on topic, do you think Drew will figure out just how many ways you can play MGS3? There are so many neat little tricks in that game that make me appreciate it that much more, but it's unlikely Drew will discover it on a first playthrough, unless Dan tips him off.

jgminto

Well yeah, celebrities that have no talent for voice acting don't come cheap.

Also while everyone says the controls are better (and that is true) there are so few options compared with the previous game. This doesn't look like it will be a problem with The Phantom Pain but when playing Ground Zeroes it left so little room for experimentation.

Myggen

There are two episodes of Metal Gear Scanlon left. One goes from
the initial torture with Solidus up to the big fight in the circular room where you're alongside Snake and you have the sword
. The finale picks up there and has
the fight with the RAYs, Solidus, and all the crazy ending nonsense.

Nice, if you're going to split it up, that's probably the best way.

watching UPF and Rorie cracking himself up over his "don't say his name a third time" joke is a late contender for best Rorie moment of 2014

e: nevermind I just remembered "young adult with huge gonads"

with all the fighting game quick looks lately, i'm realizing how badly I want a premium feature where jeff and jason just play fighting games. i'd love to see them both try and really sink their teeth into street fighter or something and really learn all the nuance.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Soo ... is this going to be a normal week or do the GOTY deliberation podcasts start already?

Pretty sure they're recording an emails-cast today, and tomorrow is the last day anyone's in the office. They all but promised a live stream of some sort tomorrow. The goty deliberations are done; they were done when alex, vinny, and patrick were in town. Those will be up daily starting the 26th I think. There should be two mgscanlon episodes this week too.

Oxirane

PbqCBJH.jpg

Who will win?

Martal

Neo Member
Ok, but am I right when thinking that it all happened earlier last year and the years before that? I seem to recall them saying something like "We forgot to say "Merry Xmas"" on one of the podcasts.

Myggen

Ok, but am I right when thinking that it all happened earlier last year and the years before that? I seem to recall them saying something like "We forgot to say "Merry Xmas"" on one of the podcasts.

Started on the 23rd last year. On the 24th in 2012, on the 26th in 2011, on the 27th in 2010 and 2009. So it's pretty much around the time it always starts, give or take a day or two depending on the day of the week.

yeah it definitely happened before christmas last year because it gave me something to listen to on the trip down to my folks' place. fortunately I don't have to make the trip this year.

Kerned

Banned
Disappointing that they are going up on the 26th. The deliberation podcasts are perfect for all the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day driving my wife and I have to do.

the initial torture with Solidus up to the big fight in the circular room where you're alongside Snake and you have the sword

Looking forward it.

Also i saw on twitter you trying to kill the eagle with the gyrocopter in Far cry 4.
I did that as well

Do we have confirmation on when the last two episodes of MGS2 are coming? I think there may have been something on UPF, but I zoned out once they started playing crappy intellivision (or whatever it was) games for an hour.

Corgi

Banned
they really need to put a sticky note on the tv

"hit the codecs whenever you start a boss fight"

Also you can just shoot the UAV's which Drew did for 1 eps but now wasting chaffs instead.

Do the drones respawn if you destroy them and come back later?

Bacon

I've never watched anime before and I've never played through the mgs series either but I feel like I know what people mean when they say that the mgs series is anime bullshit.

Mgs 1, for all of it's weirdness, felt wayyyyy more grounded then mgs 2, and I'm only a 5 episodes into metal gear scanlon 2. It baffles me that it gets even more ridiculous than it is now. I think I kind of hate it? But I also want to keep watching just to know where it goes. I don't know how to feel.

Jintor

I've never watched anime before and I've never played through the mgs series either but I feel like I know what people mean when they say that the mgs series is anime bullshit.

Mgs 1, for all of it's weirdness, felt wayyyyy more grounded then mgs 2, and I'm only a 5 episodes into metal gear scanlon 2. It baffles me that it gets even more ridiculous than it is now. I think I kind of hate it? But I also want to keep watching just to know where it goes. I don't know how to feel.

welcome to metal gear solid

hwy_61

Banned
Ever since Metal Gear Scanlon, I've jumped in MGS to a pretty unhealthy level. Looking up theories an shit. What other game has the level of literature, whether it be theories, analysis videos, ect, that MGS has? Its pretty incredible, what Kojima has created.

Ever since Metal Gear Scanlon, I've jumped in MGS to a pretty unhealthy level. Looking up theories an shit. What other game has the level of literature, whether it be theories, analysis videos, ect, that MGS has? Its pretty incredible, what Kojima has created.

Fans have gotten way into the implied lore of the Souls games.

Zabant

I'd be super awesome if you were to put one of those up right about now!

Come on Dan, the thirst is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom