• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
B5P2BTPIYAADOCz.jpg
Does Patrick even know he's leaving the site? What a waste of time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I shouldn't have gone near the comments on that bombin'

popo

At least listening to that bombing the AM told me that Vinny was on some cnet podcast a few days ago.

He was and it wasn't bad. The host was a little full on and I didn't care for Russ Fishstick but it was worth a listen - if only to confirm, reading between the lines, that GOTY came down to Bayo 2 vs Mordor.

Except for the part when two of them said that
P.T. was in contention for their game of the year. It is GAME of the year lads, not fucking tech demo of the year.

When are we telling Jeff that they hired Cara?

She is his secret girlfriend. That is how they are going to get around the visa. Jeff will do anything for the site.

Myggen

He was and it wasn't bad. The host was a little full on and I didn't care for Russ Fishstick but it was worth a listen - if only to confirm, reading between the lines, that GOTY came down to Bayo 2 vs Mordor.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it comes down to, but how did you get that from that podcast? I didn't catch that at all.

Vinny and Alex were going on and on about how great they thought Mordor was on that cnet podcast. I think there is a very high probability that Mordor won.

We already knew that both likes Mordor though, so don't really see how that's an indication of anything. Alex praised Bayo on the same podcast. I'm not saying that Mordor is unlikely to win, but I think people are jumping the gun a bit here.

zzzz.

Well at least there should be several hours of podcasting worth listening to before they get to that point.

I can feel the salt from here if Mordor wins ;)

Well that's the thing, Patrick has been saying alotta weird stuff. Like when he was talking about writing lists for GB, he was saying things like 'It's been a real honor writing for GB, I've had a great time' etc etc. as if he's about to say goodbye.

Just some real weird phrasing that he's had in the way of him saying things lately.

He also said something on his tumblr about 2013 being a transition yeah, 2014 being kind of stale, and how he wanted to 'go big' in 2015.

There also was the question about why lost rewatch wasn't a GB premium cast, and he said "frankly, because I want to own it.'

Between that, his wording on Bombin, the hiring listing for GBNY, it makes me wonder if he's out. He hasn't written all that many features lately, either..

The studio space thing is a pretty big wrench in the whole works, though. He might be striking out on his own or something, though.

Myggen

I mean he was sent to the crappy mid-west, alone, to be the snarky trailer guy, what do you think?

Heh, I think people are basing what they're saying on pretty much nothing. I'm not even sure what "striking out on his own" would mean.

This has been a rumour pretty much since Patrick moved to Chicago. Don't really see that much has changed since then, other than people reading a lot into a couple of comments. We'll see I guess, but I don't buy it.

He just needs someone to work with.

Before Vinny moved back to NY

Alex was the guy posting trailers & reviewing sports games.

Now him and & Vinny are going to have a big 2015.

What i am trying to say is

Cara should join Giantbomb.

EDIT: Or what Jimmy said ^

Heh, I think people are basing what they're saying on pretty much nothing. I'm not even sure what "striking out on his own" would mean.

Yeah I really don't know where it's coming from either, I just wanted to make a dumb joke, but honestly of all the duders he does kind of seem like the one that be most likely to leave, but I don't have any basis for that so I don't know.

I don't think it is an incredible stretch to think he may want to move on given the position he is currently in.

I mean, if he were to move on, he'd just probably be setting up a Patreon or something to keep doing the same old stuff. Why wouldn't he just stick with GB? He's clearly just doing whatever the fuck he wants anyway.

Really, what he needs is a proper CBSi presence in Chicago to back him up, or something. Maybe now he finally appears to be moving into Temkin's office, they can hire someone to help him out. Plenty of game writers in Chicago. Joe Fourhman, Gita Jackson, etc et.

Really excited for the potential salt over GotY. My personal GotY isn't winning, but that doesn't matter so long as other people are really upset that theirs didn't either.

I'm not even sure what "striking out on his own" would mean.

I picture a Jimquisition situation. Needs an equally shitty/great name though if Patrick really wants it to work.

Myggen

Patreon was what I was thinking. Jim Sterling style.

Anything's possible, but going from a regular paycheck with huge amounts of freedom to Patreon? I know that Sterling is getting paid right now, but I just can't see how that would be a very attractive option.

Mordor makes a pretty boring choice for this though, it's just mediocre and inoffensive.

Mediocre in your opinion. The nemesis system elevated the game to a great game for me.

Are there? I'm genuinely curious.

Well, there's a few. Besides the two names I edited in, there's everyone working for Gamelogical Society on The A.V. Club. There's probably more. I see names on Twitter, don't remember them all.

More than anywhere else in the Midwest, I'd wager. (I dunno where Game Informer is in terms of American geography.)

Well, there's a few. Besides the two names I edited in, there's everyone working for Gamelogical Society on The A.V. Club. There's probably more. I see names on Twitter, don't remember them all.

More than anywhere else in the Midwest, I'd wager. (I dunno where Game Informer is in terms of American geography.)

Minneapolis.

Which is not Chicago.

I can't think of any in St. Louis. The only other area that might have any is like maybe Austin? But I can't think of any there.

Indy probably doesn't have any.

I think Minneapolis beats out Chicago. But yeah It's not like there are tons in either.

I've played so few 2014 games but I think I would personally stick with Dark Souls 2. It was a disappointment in some areas but at the end of the day, it got enough right for me to feel satisified. I definitely had fun with Mordor but I think it lost a lot when you unlocked some of the really overpowered abilities. I still haven't started Dragon Age Inquisition, Alien Isolation or Farcry 4.

Myggen

I've played so few 2014 games but I think I would personally stick with Dark Souls 2. It was a disappointment in some areas but at the end of the day, it got enough right for me to feel satisified. I definitely had fun with Mordor but I think it lost a lot when you unlocked some of the really overpowered abilities. I still haven't started Dragon Age Inquisition, Alien Isolation or Farcry 4.

Holy crap, I keep forgetting that Dark Souls 2 came out this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom