• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Ultimately, isn't Metal Gear a series about Ocelot? :3

/edit I have to admit, Rose and Raiden's story is kinda corny throughout, but the VOs really sell their confrontation codec.

Zabant

The coolest part of the game, getting the sword and killing everyone and drew finds a way to fuck up twice and complain....

He plays this game so weird.

I didn't even know snake could die, but drew slices him up and shoots him in the head then moans that he's rushing in...

Jintor

Oh, I don't know, pure combat sections after a game of sneaking around kind of suck

also Snake is rushing in. Dude's AI can't tell cover for shit

Zabant

Oh, I don't know, pure combat sections after a game of sneaking around kind of suck

All you have to do is run in with L1 held down, you block every single bullet and then slice when close. Just like it tells you in the tutorial.

Something really irks me when I hear people blaming games for them not doing well, especially when I've never seen someone mess that part up.

Xater

Still they give you a sword for a reason. If you were not playing a pacifist playthrough I don't know why you wouldn't use it. I still remember being super psyched about getting the sword, the thing we all wanted after Cyborg Ninja showed up in MGS. Of course I used it so slice all those guys up, and it was super easy.

I always enjoyed how they actually put a fighting with the reverse side Rurouni Kenshin style option on the sword so you can still be non lethal, and it makes that hilarious whacking noise.

Zabant

Still they give you a sword for a reason. If you were not playing a pacifist playthrough I don't know why you wouldn't use it. I still remember being super psyched about getting the sword, the thing we all wanted after Cyborg Ninja showed up in MGS. Of course I used it so slice all those guys up, and it was super easy.

actually, if you hit Square raiden flips the blade to the blunt side and you knock dudes out with it, as soon as they go unconscious they blink out of existence.

That's how you get through this part on pacifist.

Sounds like Jason doesn't have an official schedule for the MGS episodes, but I'd be shocked if they weren't up by the new year.

Also, I won't be able to be on the replacement podcast since I fly out tomorrow morning :(

Quick, record some generic "Stuff Dan Says" and then get Jeff to fix the problem in post.

Here what will (probably) need to be covered:
  • Destiny will be brought up at some point because Brad exists.
  • Drew & Metal Gear Scanlon will also come up.
  • There will probably be an email talking about you in some capacity, but the content will be hard to predict. Perhaps even multiple.
  • A laugh/chuckle and generic agreement/disagreement or two will help with simulating reactions to jokes and news.
  • What you've been playing, of course!
  • A comment or about which Giant Bomb crewmember is the actually the Grinch. It'll probably come up, somehow.
  • Some sort of off-hand remark to build hype for the Game of the Year™ content.
Hollywood magic can fix every problem.

Edit: Hrm, didn't realise the post was from the other day. I still believe!

William

I started my play through of MGS3 last night. I didn't I got much playtime in, I think that first ep will be a popcorn episode for Drew and Dan!
Thanks to Metal Gaer Scanlon I've played through these games for the first time, slightly ahead of Drew all the way and its been great fun. Looking forward to tomorrows finale!

Xater

actually, if you hit Square raiden flips the blade to the blunt side and you knock dudes out with it, as soon as they go unconscious they blink out of existence.

That's how you get through this part on pacifist.

Crap you are right, completely forgot about that. So yeah basically no reason to not use the sword.

Zabant

I seriously envy Dan, nothing phases him.

Trust me, i'd love to not get annoyed by pointless stuff like someone playing a game in the least optimal way.

I know that's incredibly sad, someone else playing a video game doesn't affect me at all. But it still makes me do that knee-jerk reaction of 'Stop Blaming the game, you're not doing it right!'

Probably something to do with my completionist nature and how much I love the series

Jintor

Apart from "Yeah they give you the sword for a reason" (Suspicious Videogame Generosity), Drew isn't some omniscient MGS crazy person. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to think that shooting guys like he's been doing the whole game is a better way than running up to them and getting shot a lot, rations or no rations.

Also, it might be because I played Revengeance first or I think MGS's controls are generally kind of awkward, but I always hated using the sword in MGS2. It's a pain in the ass.

Xater

Apart from "Yeah they give you the sword for a reason" (Suspicious Videogame Generosity), Drew isn't some omniscient MGS crazy person. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to think that shooting guys like he's been doing the whole game is a better way than running up to them and getting shot a lot, rations or no rations.

Also, it might be because I played Revengeance first or I think MGS's controls are generally kind of awkward, but I always hated using the sword in MGS2. It's a pain in the ass.

I don't know how much stronger they can tell you to use it. They give it to you late game, do a tutorial and tell you it reflects bullets. How much more "hinting" does one need?

Fireblend

Banned
Man, losing a podcast sucks. I hope they have enough redundancy storage to avoid it as much as possible, but accidents do happen no matter how many precautions you take I guess. Recording/livestreaming a replacement is truly awesome of them though, specially considering the date. Kudos <3

Anyway, time to listen to the new MGScanlon :D

hwy_61

Banned
I seriously envy Dan, nothing phases him.

Trust me, i'd love to not get annoyed by pointless stuff like someone playing a game in the least optimal way.

I know that's incredibly sad, someone else playing a video game doesn't affect me at all. But it still makes me do that knee-jerk reaction of 'Stop Blaming the game, you're not doing it right!'

Probably something to do with my completionist nature and how much I love the series

I'm happy Dan didn't interject at every little mistake Drew made over the series. It allowed Drew to experience the game in the purest way. If someone was sitting next to me, bugging me at every turn because I did something wrong, I'd kick that dude out of my house. It would be very annoying.

Quick, record some generic "Stuff Dan Says" and then get Jeff to fix the problem in post.

Really you could give Jeff a soundboard with clips for "sounds like something fancy people would like" and "just be a normal person" and I bet you could answer like half the emails that are read.

Zabant

Almost everything in metal gear happens for a reason, even silly throwaway dialogue lines turn out to have massive meaning underneath them.

Every single weapon is introduced just before it's optimal usage moment.

AK - Part of Disguise
Nikita - For tunnels and electric panel
Sniper- C4 bridge
Stinger - Harrier
RGB - Shoot into water to kill vamp really fast
Sword - To kill the tengu who block bullets

Suspicious generosity? nonsense. That's how the entire series is.

Jintor

Honestly it's not really about whether or not the game tells you to use it or not. Ideally, if the game is going to force you into a combat scenario, the game should give you combat arenas that are solvable in a number of different ways like the rest of its boss fights, instead of building the encounter in such a way that swording dudes is practically the only way forward (especially with that last rush)

of course this is complaining about a game made in 2000 or whatever so ehhhhh

Almost everything in metal gear happens for a reason, even silly throwaway dialogue lines turn out to have massive meaning underneath them.

AK - Part of Disguise
Sniper- C4 bridge
Stinger - Harrier

Yeah, I know. Almost all games do this. It's why there's a save point and shittonnes of health before boss arenas and that kinda thing.

Corgi

Banned
A bit disappointed with the performance of MGS2 on vita, and some of the touch stuff (did like the weapon switching though) and how shitty the nub was for precision shooting.

Should I pick up MGS3 on ps3 or does it play and run fine on vita?

Dany

Banned
Celebrate!

RUrq4rK.gif
When did this happen

jaina

What I got from the tutorial is that the blade deflects 1 or 2 bullets. But now I've stopped the video after the second try and will continue when episode 13 has released tomorrow.

hwy_61

Banned
his performance was simultaneously really awkward and pretty cool

which, frankly, is how I like my live entertainment anyway.

I think a room full of people who all play/make video games for a living is bound to get awkward at some point. Especially when alcohol is involved.

popo

I don't remember the back half of MGS2 at all. I remember up to the hostage room and I know I beat it because I remember sitting through the ending wondering what the fuck was going on and when it would finally end.

GDC 2014 after show party livestream.

his performance was simultaneously really awkward and pretty cool

which, frankly, is how I like my live entertainment anyway.

There is a reason that DJs usually perform in dark clubs.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh my god I forgot about this. The silence when they call for him and he starts walking up. The cuts to Patrick slouched and expressionless, looking at his phone while he's going ham. What a weird fucking moment.

I think they couldn't hear him in the studio, but I might be remembering things wrong.

dammit, maybe it wasn't patrick and now I can't find it. even more depressing is now that I think about it, it may have been Phil Fish, and is now lost to time.

e: holy crap, never mind, found it

thank you Phil for not deleting your vine account

Finalyl finished metal gear scanlon and started sons of drewburty. I've got a lot of catching up to do, but man, MGS2 seems like it still holds up so far. What a great game. I remember trying to beat it on extreme back as a kid was so hard.

Mikey Jr.

I love Dan and Drew watching cutscenes, I hate Drew actually playing the game. I love Drew, but I still cant believe after so many hours of playing mgs 1 and 2, he can still suck so bad.

Good luck on that
Ray.............
fight.

Corgi

Banned

AK - Part of Disguise
Sniper- C4 bridge
Stinger - Harrier

What the grenade launcher could be used against vamp?

damnnnn

Myggen

I love Dan and Drew watching cutscenes, I hate Drew actually playing the game. I love Drew, but I still cant believe after so many hours of playing mgs 1 and 2, he can still suck so bad.

Good luck on that
Ray.............
fight.

Well, seeing as the last episode is about 2-2.5 hours long, you can already guess how long he took at that fight. I don't remember how much is left of the game, but with that ending cutscene it doesn't seem like he was stuck too long there.

Mikey Jr.

Well, seeing as the last episode is about 2-2.5 hours long, you can already guess how long he took at that fight. I don't remember how much is left of the game, but with that ending cutscene it doesn't seem like he was stuck too long there.

They aren't doing a live one?

Thought they would for the ending.

Corgi

Banned
Really curious if Drew figures out the
shoot leg shoot head for RAY for massive damage
by himself, and how long that takes.

And that sticky R2 is gonna be a real hassle for that battle lol.

I cannot wait for the next episode ! I really really love the codec moment with
Fake Colonel and Fake Rose when they explain the S3 Plan to Raiden.

Also, I really hope they start MGS3 as soon as they come back from the Christmas break.

Corgi

Banned
so having beat mgs2 last night at 3am... what are the best analysis videos out there that don't have spoilers for 3 4 PW?

Really curious if Drew figures out the
shoot leg shoot head for RAY for massive damage
by himself, and how long that takes.

And that sticky R2 is gonna be a real hassle for that battle lol.

I've said it before, but it definitely took me probably close to two hours to figure that all out the first time I played it.

Corgi

Banned
I've said it before, but it definitely took me probably close to two hours to figure that all out the first time I played it.

took me like 3 deaths before accidentally hitting the
leg and noticed the mouth open up. Noticed that hitting the mouth when it was open during laser did more damage, and it all clicked

Was surprised it took me just 30-40min to beat.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Watching Sons of Drewberty now

annnnd holy fuck, I forgot how unnerving the last bit of MGS2 is - didn't realize it because I was in high school at the time, but looord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom