• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Watching Sons of Drewberty now

annnnd holy fuck, I forgot how unnerving the last bit of MGS2 is - didn't realize it because I was in high school at the time, but looord

I was in middle school and I was definitely unnerved. When the Colonel goes
"Raiden, turn the game console off right now! The mission is a failure! Cut the power right now!"
, I thought my game was actually possessed for a few seconds and actually almost went to turn my PS2 off.

I cannot wait for the next episode ! I really really love the codec moment with
Fake Colonel and Fake Rose when they explain the S3 Plan to Raiden.

Also, I really hope they start MGS3 as soon as they come back from the Christmas break.

Yup January seems like a perfect time to start it as things will be quiet.

Shit is about to hit the fan. :)

2711123-fs.jpg

Corgi

Banned
"Raiden, turn the game console off right now! The mission is a failure! Cut the power right now!"
, I thought my game was actually possessed for a few seconds and actually almost went to turn my PS2 off.

its like the scarecrow moment from batman arkham.

I literally alt f4 the game on my pc thinking game crashed until I did it again and it looked exactly the same 'artifacting' stuff :p

Do I remember correctly...Do they just never actually address Solidus' US Army DocOct suit...complete with moving tentacles? Where it came from, why he is constantly wearing it....
there was nothing about it, correct?

The creepiest part for me was how his face model goes all fucked up. Definitely gave me a weird feeling in the pit of stomach as a 11 year old.

Do I remember correctly...Do they just never actually address Solidus' US Army DocOct suit...complete with moving tentacles? Where it came from, why he is constantly wearing it....
there was nothing about it, correct?
They don't, but the explanation is that it's a simulation.

Jex

Oh, I don't know, pure combat sections after a game of sneaking around kind of suck

also Snake is rushing in. Dude's AI can't tell cover for shit

If you're playing on the higher difficulty levels e.g. European Extreme you have to keep Snake stunned/KO'd the entire fight so he doesn't die. No joke.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The creepiest part for me was how his face model goes all fucked up. Definitely gave me a weird feeling in the pit of stomach as a 11 year old.

They don't, but the explanation is that it's a simulation.

But (MGS2 endgame spoilers)
it's a simulation that's actually happening. In the Metal Gear universe, Raiden actually fights and... kills... Solidus while the latter wears a crazy octopus muscle suit. It's an attempt to simulate the conditions of Shadow Moses, but the events of MGS 2 actually occur.
As far as I'm aware, they never actually address his crazy suit. Until proven otherwise I'm going to assume it's standard issue to US Presidents in the MGS world.

daydream

Banned
Gonna put up the liveshow thread a bit earlier so that people get the memo. I think it shouldn't be a problem since there's always a Bombcast thread on Tuesday and there'd be a thread, anyway, once it's archived so yeah.. come at me, mods!

its like the scarecrow moment from batman arkham.

I literally alt f4 the game on my pc thinking game crashed until I did it again and it looked exactly the same 'artifacting' stuff :p

Did I ever tell the story here of how I got Fez on launch day, and it actually froze my 360 at the "glitch screen?" I figured that the glitch stuff intentional, I didn't realize that it being frozen on the screen wasn't.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, as someone who knows just as much about MGS as Drew... holy shit. These games are awesome, and as someone who'd given up on ever playing through them or even being familiar with their plot I'm so glad Metal Gear Scanlon is a thing. Can't believe I missed these masterpieces.

I do wonder why Drew seems to miss some plot-related stuff or react to some of the big developments like he doesn't realize the implications. I guess since he's the one playing and having to keep in mind that it's a show and he has to keep things interesting distracts him from really getting into the story, but I keep wanting to yell "don't you realize what's happening?!" at the screen.

Jason is doing an amazing job with Drew's face sliding in everytime he gets a codec hahahaha

One of the most underappreciated things about GB content is how much of the personality of the person running the console comes out with their particular uses of the tricaster.

Vinny, Ian, Drew, and Jason all have their own "style" that comes out.

Man, as someone who knows just as much about MGS as Drew... holy shit. These games are awesome, and as someone who'd given up on ever playing through them or even being familiar with their plot I'm so glad Metal Gear Scanlon is a thing. Can't believe I missed these masterpieces.

I do wonder why Drew seems to miss some plot-related stuff or react to some of the big developments like he doesn't realize the implications. I guess since he's the one playing and having to keep in mind that it's a show and he has to keep things interesting distracts him from really getting into the story, but I keep wanting to yell "don't you realize what's happening?!" at the screen.

He also plays the games in long intervals. Thought is heavy stuff for him right now, imagine for the people that played the game in
one sitting.

I was pretty young when I beat MGS2 around 13 max and I remember it being one of the first times I actually played something late at night because I wanted to get through it and yep I got freaked out pretty hard.

Is the next video going at at 3:01PM a mistake ? It's too late for me. I would have the time to watch it tomorrow morning, but tomorrow afternoon is when I have to get going for Christmas Eve.

It's been years since I've played MGS2 - and I would have first played it when I was about 12 or 13 - and man, this has brought back memories of just how creepy the tail end of it is and was.

Bacon

Dan if you're reading this you should record another podcast in Kansas with your dad. He was hilarious on the last one.

Bacon

Better than this: his Dad should show up at Giant Bomb at some point. Either on the bombcast, on UPF or a special video.

I think Dan said that his dad would be visiting SF in February. I could be mis-remembering. Should make for some great video content.

tchocky

For anyone who thinks Patrick is going to leave GB to go the patreon/freelance route he updated his tumblr with a comment on a Cara article about freelancing http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/105972364384/the-beyonce-freelancing-method-by-cara

These moments of crisis, constantly stressing about where the next check comes from, is why I’ve tried to avoid been freelance. It’s happened a few times throughout my career, and while I managed just fine, I’ll always choose a less exciting but stable job because I’m able to spend more time creating value outside of the workplace, in my personal life.

Not everyone has that choice, though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm just catching up on MGS and I kinda don't feel like it is THAT complicated. At least at where I'm at (Part 10, after they meet Johnson). I'm sure it gets crazier but right now it seems pretty straight forward.

The Patriots are basically the Illuminati, secretly controlling the world and everything.
Solidus was a pawn of them, fucked up and they want him dead for it. He doesn't want to be dead so he establishes Dead Cell, tries to overtake Arsenal Gear which is a big robot with a lot of missiles (cause it's always good to have one of those if you fight the Illuminati) and detonate a nuke over Manhatten to loosen the Patriot's grip on economy.

The Patriot's also don't like Snake so they try to make him look like a terrorist after they stole an Anti-Metal Gear Metal Gear (RAY) and sank a tanker full of marines. They send another tanker, actually filled with oil and sink it, and then use a cleaning facility to secretly build Arsenal Gear.

Not really sure what Ocelot's deal is but I also don't think you should know that by now.

Seems not THAT complicated to me tbh.
Again: It'll obviously get worse/better later but right now I find it rather easy to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom