• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think Dan jumped the gun with the whole
Colonel/AI thing, when he immediately brought up the weird vocal affectations thoughout the game to that point?
I totally get his anticipation and sense of relief to finally talk about it, but I think he should have given Drew a little more time to process especially with the definitive Otacon codec yet to come.

Do you mean the Colonel's lines during tutorial points in the game (i.e. swimming, hanging)? Ironically enough, I think those actually were were re-records for the remaster because it was all related to controls. Funny, because Dan was using that to propose that the Colonel's
AI-ness has been hinted at the whole game
. I think it's just coincidence -- Paul Eiding sounds way older in those sections than he does throughout the game.

A similar (but opposite) thing happens in the sword tutorial sequence in the latest ep -- they didn't re-record Snake's lines this time, and the controls are slightly different. The onscreen prompts and the subtitles deviate slightly from the voice acting.

FStop7

Banned
Yup. I'd much rather have Dan's job.

Turning a passion/hobby into a job doesn't always go well, either... sometimes you end up jaded...

Do you mean the Colonel's lines during tutorial points in the game (i.e. swimming, hanging)? Ironically enough, I think those actually were were re-records for the remaster because it was all related to controls. Funny, because Dan was using that to propose that the Colonel's
. I think it's just coincidence -- Paul Eiding sounds way older in those sections than he does throughout the game.

A similar (but opposite) thing happens in the sword tutorial sequence in the latest ep -- they didn't re-record Snake's lines this time, and the controls are slightly different. The onscreen prompts and the subtitles deviate slightly from the voice acting.

Much of the Colonel's dialogue has odd phrasing and affectations that I really do believe were intentional to make him seem "off" compared to the way he was in MGS1.

newjeruse

Anyone else think Dan jumped the gun with the whole
Colonel/AI thing, when he immediately brought up the weird vocal affectations thoughout the game to that point?
I totally get his anticipation and sense of relief to finally talk about it, but I think he should have given Drew a little more time to process especially with the definitive Otacon codec yet to come.
He jumped the gun a while ago by telling Drew how crazy everything was going to get. I understand it's hard to contain that, but the whole scene would have been much more compelling if Drew didn't expect anything "crazy" to happen.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
that was a weirdly good QL because of that chat. because I mean otherwise it was just Brad doing the same stuff as before, except on a stealth dog or whatever. As someone with approximately Dan-level knowledge of the LOTR universe, I thought it was a kind of a decent primer.

I know Brad only replies to angry/dumb people, but thanks Brad!

I know this post is days old, but there was a lot more I could have/wanted to lay out in that QL that I couldn't work into the conversation before we moved on.

For instance, Gandalf isn't even a human being. He's the same type of being as Sauron! That particular factoid is probably the closet thing to common knowledge about the history of Middle-earth (i.e. maybe not news to you), but it probably would've blown Dan's mind more than anything else I could have mentioned.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I know this post is days old, but there was a lot more I could have/wanted to lay out in that QL that I couldn't work into the conversation before we moved on.

For instance, Gandalf isn't even a human being. He's the same type of being as Sauron! That particular factoid is probably the closet thing to common knowledge about the history of Middle-earth (i.e. maybe not news to you), but it probably would've blown Dan's mind more than anything else I could have mentioned.

Yo, Bomb After Reading - Lord of the Rings.
Make it happen Brad :D

I mean those books have like, what, 200 pages max right? Should be no problem to read all of them again.

Curufinwe

The Silmarillion is even shorter. Start with that breezy read, and learn about Sauron's days as the Lord of Werewolves, long before he became the Lord of the Rings

Fjolle

The Silmarillion is even shorter. Start with that breezy read, and learn about Sauron's days as the Lord of Werewolves, long before he became the Lord of the Rings
Werewolves? I think that i have forgotten that part. From what i remember it was boring. And something with crystals, but mostly boring :(

You did good Brad. LOTR/MiddleEarth lore is awesome. After Mordor and you first QL explaining Dan about it, I remembered why I love the trilogy and the hobbit.

Why you gotta be such a Grinch?

2543595-0836186284-Jeff..gif

Your ability to just keep on going while Dan was mocking every detail he could come up with a joke for, was impressive. The most patient of Tolkien nerds.

Edit:

Also, I came in to say, I loved the last episode of MGScanlon. The codec conversations were everything I remembered and starting off with the naked cartwheels, perfect. It's funny that Raiden is so modest that he limits his abilities and risks death just so he can always keep a hand over his junk.

I messaged Jason about MGScanlon going up at 3:01 PM instead of AM. So you can thank me, because I am totally the only person who told him about it.

I was only saying he should have let Drew be all "what the fuck?" a little longer. I was aware they did some ADR (is THAT what Drew noticed?) at some points but, I just thought Dan jumping to
"HE'S BEEN AN AI THE WHOLE GAME AND NOW THEY JUST TOLD YOU"
was a bit of a mistake, at least until Otacon confirms it 20 mins later.

Speaking as someone who's had to sit on things till my friends can enjoy them though, I completely understand, and would probably have exploded in relief after having to wait that long. I'm just nitpicking.

On another note, I was psyched to be able to take this (end game location spoiler)photo earlier this week and get a reply from Dan on Twitter on Friday. http://twitter.com/jon_ames/status/546051351361630208

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I was only saying he should have let Drew be all "what the fuck?" a little longer. I was aware they did some ADR (is THAT what Drew noticed?) at some points but, I just thought Dan jumping to
"HE'S BEEN AN AI THE WHOLE GAME AND NOW THEY JUST TOLD YOU"
was a bit of a mistake, at least until Otacon confirms it 20 mins later.

On another note, I was psyched to be able to take this (end game location spoiler)photo earlier this week and get a reply from Dan on Twitter on Friday. http://twitter.com/jon_ames/status/546051351361630208

thud thud beep
thud thud beep

"Ames?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom