• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokab

On MGS2 ending:

Why does Solidus want to kill Raiden, and why does Raiden want to kill Solidus? After the truth about the patriots and the simulation is revealed, it seems they both have the same goal: stop the patriots and free the world. Raiden even says "I won't let you control me, I'll do what I want", and then proceeds to do exactly what the patriots want: eliminate their primary threat. Is it all because Solidus says that he killed Raiden's parents? Not sure if I get why Solidus wants to kill Raiden either, what does he gain?

daydream

Banned
Any way to get to the video version of the podcast?

Either the twitch archive or the stream archive from yesterday which is still up.

ghost trick still the GOAT

tumblr_lftri7Utck1qgu4xjo1_250.gif

Indignate

On MGS2 ending:

Why does Solidus want to kill Raiden, and why does Raiden want to kill Solidus? After the truth about the patriots and the simulation is revealed, it seems they both have the same goal: stop the patriots and free the world. Raiden even says "I won't let you control me, I'll do what I want", and then proceeds to do exactly what the patriots want: eliminate their primary threat. Is it all because Solidus says that he killed Raiden's parents? Not sure if I get why Solidus wants to kill Raiden either, what does he gain?

Solidus believes that the nanomachines inside of Raiden contains data on the Patriots. He also wants to test Raiden and make him confront his past.

Raiden doesn't want to die because if he does Olga's child dies as well (and presumably Rose).

Jintor

On MGS2 ending:

Since Solidus isn't privy to Raiden's nanocommunications, he doesn't know anything besides the fact that Raiden is the Patriot's lapdog.
He's also a huge asshole.

On MGS2 ending:

Solidus is not a team player and is a huge asshole
It feels that his excuse for using child soldiers (and killing Raiden's parents) was because he was angsty about the Patriots and needed to prove a point

Jintor

Why do people keep taking this line literally? I've heard Brad constantly quote this line to completely invalidate any value MGS2 has.

Well, devoid of context (and the context is easy to overlook in that massive infodump scene), it's very easy to take that thing at its word.

Solidus is not a team player and is a huge asshole
It feels that his excuse for using child soldiers (and killing Raiden's parents) was because he was angsty about the Patriots and needed to prove a point

Basically.
Dude was created as a tool, and he wanted a way to ensure a legacy. Unfortunately he kind of lost track of Raiden after Liberia I guess? Careless

Solidus basically tries to kill Raiden for the same reason the Ganondorf tries to kill Link at the end of Wind Waker; he's a powerless old man and former ruler that the world has cast aside and all of his dreams to rebel against uncaring godlike forces and regain relevance and freedom have just failed at the last second and now he desperately thinks that he might be able to accomplish something if he takes out the young whippersnapper in front of him (who was manipulated into acting like a legendary hero and descending to the bottom of the ocean to murder said old man).

So on top of an old gray building he whips out his two swords and decides that he has nothing left.

I know it hasn't been perfect, but Drew's play has not been too bad at all the last several episodes. The progress has been very consistent and rarely has he gotten stuck on a section for more than a 2-3 replays. I was expecting a series of deaths last episode based on the feedback but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

I'm seriously considering either playing MGS2 myself or rewatching Sons of Drewberty to see how much that ending changes things.

Question about Rose:
Are we to assume that at least some of the codec stuff with Rose was the real person for a lot of the conversations? When Raiden meets her at the end they both refer to those conversations like they actually happened.

sjack

Banned
The Rose and Jack convos being awful has to be intentional.

I actually checked out the original Japanese voice acting for this game, and Raiden's voice is much more deep and manly. I wonder if all the complaints people have with these characters were the result of poor VA direction from the localization.

I'm seriously considering either playing MGS2 myself or rewatching Sons of Drewberty to see how much that ending changes things.

Question about Rose:
Are we to assume that at least some of the codec stuff with Rose was the real person for a lot of the conversations? When Raiden meets her at the end they both refer to those conversations like they actually happened.

I think Rose up to the point when she says she's pregnant to Raiden is real, as well as her appearing at the end as well. Everything else is just the Patriots fucking him with him

Jintor

Question about Rose:

I think so. It's the only way for it to make sense (insofar as sense goes)

I actually checked out the original Japanese voice acting for this game, and Raiden's voice is much more deep and manly. I wonder if all the complaints people have with these characters were the result of poor VA direction from the localization.

Possibly. Solidus also had Snake's voice actor doing a slightly "older" voice so that the player (if they didn't already know about Solidus) would be genuinely confused, and there was also the infamous Liquid voice thing (in Japan, Ocelot kept his regular voice and players were supposed to realize it's Liquid's personality from the swaggering around and waving arms and "Brother" but apparently the localization team thought that that wasn't obvious enough for Americans so they straight up gave him Cam Clarke's voice).

IIRC the localization also probably suffered from a bit of a backlash after Jeremy Blaustein tried to soften up MGS1's localization to sound more natural in English. Kojima found out about it and thought that it went too far in changing the exact meaning of the writing, so Blaustein got the boot and MGS2 had a more direct Japanese-English translation, which is almost definitely why there are so many odd turns of phrase in the game. (NOT NERD, NODE)

chogidogs

I haven't seen these ending sequences since I played it myself years ago. It's funny as a fan seeing how Kojoma tries to talk to the fan boys through the codec conversations. Totally went over my 15 year old head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom