• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Well now that chicago one'll just make you cry

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dan was completely right about musicals. They are literally the worst. The rest of what he's ranting about is mostly insane, except his dislike of concerts. He obviously hates music and has terrible taste in it, so that comes as no surprise.

I couldnt care less if Dan hates musicals or not, hell I dont even like them myself but he always posts in such an obnoxious way about this stuff (yes I am aware he is just a big troll) that it makes me like him less.

daydream

Banned
West Side Story is a good musical.

ha that's what I always think of when I hear this song. Same with jumpin' jack flash. I must have played that one like a hundred times before perfecting it.

I might have to dig mine out as well, it's been so long.

When I was super addicted to that game though I was seeing fucking circles and swooping lines in my vision for like an hour after playing.

oh yeah, I've definitely been there

i actually beat every song on diva difficulty except survivor which i got stuck on (locking me out of trying jumping jack flash)

even on sweatin', jumping jack flash was one of the most thrilling things i've ever experienced in any video game, though. fucking crazy

You're the meaning in my life

You're the inspiration

like dis if u cry evrytime

Zaph

Dan was completely right about musicals. They are literally the worst. The rest of what he's ranting about is mostly insane, except his dislike of concerts. He obviously hates music and has terrible taste in it, so that comes as no surprise.

Madness. A good live musical, especially if the theatre serves booze, can be great fun.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Madness. A good live musical, especially if the theatre serves booze, can be great fun.

That's the same kind of cheating that leads people to insane theories like "Borderlands and Destiny aren't terrible games if you play them with other people." You don't like musicals, you just like being drunk.

Megasoum

Banned
I couldnt care less if Dan hates musicals or not, hell I dont even like them myself but he always posts in such an obnoxious way about this stuff (yes I am aware he is just a big troll) that it makes me like him less.

Yeah I feel the same. Even if I know it's just trolling it still annoys me.

I'm not annoyed by what he says specifically, I'm annoyed by the fact that he's trolling to begin with.

He's better than that.

Ketch

I've played a lot of warframe in the past, and I think it's a pretty good game with some fundamental issues.

The gameplay itself is actually really good, but it is fairly repetitive. They are constantly adding new maps/tilesets/mission types/events whatever, but you'll have to play each one multiple times.... multiple, multiple, multiple times.

The systems are all really well done aswell. Leveling, modding our your gear, farming new gear, customization, crafting, scanning, pets, factions... it all feels pretty good while you're doing it.

The problem is that there's really not much to actually do besides just acquiring gear and grinding out levels on it. Like there's half dozen or eight different mission types (although they just keep adding more) so eventually it's like "well now I'm gonna defend the core with a grenade launcher" because you've already maxed out all you're other gear and now you just have to do it all over again with a grenade launcher.... or new sword, or warframe, or whatever.

There are some higher level mission types, but it's mostly just more of the same cranked up to 11 on the difficulty meter. And even then they typically aren't that hard. They just keep adding more and more hitpoints to the same enemies until you can't win. It's not a matter of skill, you just hit the wall that you're current gear can take you too, and it's impossible... but if you grind out some more then it'll be back to super easy breazy sunday morning.

So eventually it starts to feel like it doesn't matter what warframe you're using, which weapons or mods you have equipped, it's just kind of all the same... sprint through missions blasting everything until the game says no, and then you either switch out for completely fresh lvl 1 gear and start the grind over, or grind out a jillion more misions to get your mods from level 14 to 15 so you can breaze past this wall and slam into the next one.

But being a space ninja is fun, and you can play completely free and have a blast. I think in total I put like $15 into that game and got well over 100 hours of enjoyment out of it.

Not sure if anybody cares what I think about it, but there you go.

How do people get genuinely upset at someone tweeting about how they don't like musicals or concerts? That reaction is more bizarre than the original tweets.

Dan loves to play the heel. He's even come into one of these GB threads and said not to take him seriously when he's ragging on stuff (I think the context was him making fun of lore lovers or something). He understands the irony of making fun of theater and loving wrestling. Has there ever been a wrestling musical? There should be one.

Is that what passes for good trolling now? Saying stupid things isn't exactly difficult for someone who didn't know until last month how mortgages worked

You're insulting him because he made fun of musicals? Jeez, people take stuff personally.

I never made it past the "grey corridors and crates" segments of Warframe. this is actually a pretty good looking game once you're in other areas.

I think I may just have to stop following him because I'm not a fan of people who knowingly get people irate pretending to be stupider than they are.

It's dumb for people to get irate over anything, especcially over stuff said on twitter. I kind of think that's the point of most of his tweets.

People are dumb and just look for reasons to get mad.

Dan isn't a troll, he's a heel.

yup

76uOhNh.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Y'all getting your jimmies rustled because of Dan's tweets? Seriously?

I don't think anyone's getting too upset at all, just pointing out that hey he's doing that thing he does again.

Xater

How do people get genuinely upset at someone tweeting about how they don't like musicals or concerts? That reaction is more bizarre than the original tweets.

The problem for was not him saying not liking something but more that he basically says plays are basically an obsolete art form because we have movies. That is incredibly dumb.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why people think that whenever someone says something is dumb that they're fuming at the mouth when they say it.

I've played a lot of warframe in the past, and I think it's a pretty good game with some fundamental issues.

The gameplay itself is actually really good, but it is fairly repetitive. They are constantly adding new maps/tilesets/mission types/events whatever, but you'll have to play each one multiple times.... multiple, multiple, multiple times.

The systems are all really well done aswell. Leveling, modding our your gear, farming new gear, customization, crafting, scanning, pets, factions... it all feels pretty good while you're doing it.

The problem is that there's really not much to actually do besides just acquiring gear and grinding out levels on it. Like there's half dozen or eight different mission types (although they just keep adding more) so eventually it's like "well now I'm gonna defend the core with a grenade launcher" because you've already maxed out all you're other gear and now you just have to do it all over again with a grenade launcher.... or new sword, or warframe, or whatever.

There are some higher level mission types, but it's mostly just more of the same cranked up to 11 on the difficulty meter. And even then they typically aren't that hard. They just keep adding more and more hitpoints to the same enemies until you can't win. It's not a matter of skill, you just hit the wall that you're current gear can take you too, and it's impossible... but if you grind out some more then it'll be back to super easy breazy sunday morning.

So eventually it starts to feel like it doesn't matter what warframe you're using, which weapons or mods you have equipped, it's just kind of all the same... sprint through missions blasting everything until the game says no, and then you either switch out for completely fresh lvl 1 gear and start the grind over, or grind out a jillion more misions to get your mods from level 14 to 15 so you can breaze past this wall and slam into the next one.

But being a space ninja is fun, and you can play completely free and have a blast. I think in total I put like $15 into that game and got well over 100 hours of enjoyment out of it.

Not sure if anybody cares what I think about it, but there you go.

The progression to and the actual engame of Warframe is currently as such:

Your frame/weapon/companion can be upgraded to level 30, each one has a set number of slots for modifications with a numerical value that acts as power capacity for said mods.

Mods are your character build, there are tons of different ones which completely change how effective your frame is in different situations. Each mod has a numerical value attached to it which is subtracted from your frame's capacity when you slot it, that number increases as you level up the mod, gating how many useful (read high level) modifications you can have installed on your frame so that you have to actually think about what kind of build you are bringing into the high level missions in order to be effective. The wrinkle in all of this, is something called polarity.

Each piece of equipment has the same exact number of slots, and ends up with the same maximum numerical value for for mods to draw from when it hits 30, however they will have different amounts and types of polarity slots. Every mod has a type of polarity represented by a symbol next to the numerical value that dictates it's power draw, when slotting a mod into a piece of equipment if it goes into a slot with the same polarity, the power draw value is halved, into a slot with no polarity makes it stay at the default value and if it goes into a slot with a different polarity the power draw is increased.

This is where the concept of polarizing your equipment comes in, there is an item that can be crafted which will allow you to take a max level piece of equipment and add a polarity of your choice to a blank slot or change the polarity of an existing slot, doing so consumes all of that equipment's XP and you have to level it back up from 0 all over again, but ending up with a more powerful version of it at 30, then you do that all over again.

The endgame content is something called the void, it's basically a series of missions that act like mini raids in a unique environment with custom versions of every enemy type populating the same mission, there are multiple mission types which can only be accessed by getting void keys of that particular kind and difficulty tier. The reason to do these is because you can get blueprints for Prime versions of weapons and frames which you can't buy with ingame currency or real money, and these things are more powerful by virtue of having different stats from the base piece of equipment and having different/more polarity slots.

Dan is a very negative person for someone who says they are a very positive person.

Eh, I think you need to break apart heel Dan who is playing it up, and real Dan. Heel Dan is the one who mocks anime and said it was for dorks, Real Dan is the one who watched Akira and said MGS was anime. Jeff does the same thing, it'd be like calling Jeff a Nintendo hater because he jokingly exaggerates his dislike for yoshi.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Dan only likes Bands from the 60s to 80s, of course he doesn't like concerts, he's never seen one of his favorites in their prime. Still not liking that part of him, though. I don't understand the willful agitation.

Not really the worst luck, didn't they name the kid Yoshi after Jeff on Paper Mario 2 last year?
I think that also became a bidding war, only GB won that one.

Warframe looks really cool, but also kind of impenetrable. I still think it might be worth giving a try.

Also, musicals are dumb and concerts are no fun.

Eh, I think you need to break apart heel Dan who is playing it up, and real Dan. Heel Dan is the one who mocks anime and said it was for dorks, Real Dan is the one who watched Akira and said MGS was anime. Jeff does the same thing, it'd be like calling Jeff a Nintendo hater because he jokingly exaggerates his dislike for yoshi.

jeff's a million times better at it, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom