• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxyle

Neo Member
Finished Metal Gear Rising again today and will try the DLC soon.

Forgot just how over the top that ending got even after hearing Jeff talk about it recently.

Its weird hearing a Metal Gear game talk about 9-11 and The War on Terror and dragging up current events while also being about
saving the disembodied brains of orphaned kids from being put into the bodies of cyborgs and trained to kill!

That game has such a weird tone. Its so dumb and I think it knows its being dumb but I cant tell for sure.

Also if Metal Gear Scanlon doesnt do Rising and I have a good idea. Its a spin off game right? Then why not do a spin off of Metal Gear Scanlon called called Metal Gear Shoemaker and Brad can finally play that damn game!

I actually just completed MGR for the first time today myself. I was just laughing the entire time at how ridiculous that entire ending sequence is. I think it knows exactly what kind of game it is.

I still sort of resent it (and MGS4) for severely dumbing down the themes of MGS2 and Raiden's character, but MGR was too awesomely dumb to be mad at it.

justjim89

Forgot just how over the top that ending got even after hearing Jeff talk about it recently.

Its weird hearing a Metal Gear game talk about 9-11 and The War on Terror and dragging up current events while also being about
saving the disembodied brains of orphaned kids from being put into the bodies of cyborgs and trained to kill!

That game has such a weird tone. Its so dumb and I think it knows its being dumb but I cant tell for sure.

Also if Metal Gear Scanlon doesnt do Rising and I have a good idea. Its a spin off game right? Then why not do a spin off of Metal Gear Scanlon called called Metal Gear Shoemaker and Brad can finally play that damn game!

Metal Gear talking about things like 9/11 or the war on terror is a lot like GZ dealing with rape and sexual violence. Juxtaposed with all the idiocy that is the world of Metal Gear, genuine tragedies just don't hit as hard or carry as much weight, and just come out looking forced.

I still sort of resent it (and MGS4) for severely dumbing down the themes of MGS2 and Raiden's character, but MGR was too awesomely dumb to be mad at it.

I found Raiden's character arc in RIsing to be far more compelling than what happened with him in the mainline series. Watching Metal Gear Scanlon reminded me how ineffective and clumsy the reveal of Raiden's past in MGS2 was.

tchocky

Metal Gear talking about things like 9/11 or the war on terror is a lot like GZ dealing with rape and sexual violence. Juxtaposed with all the idiocy that is the world of Metal Gear, genuine tragedies just don't hit as hard or carry as much weight, and just come out looking forced.

Especially when the President leading the war on terror is Solidus Snake. They should have just left 9/11 out of it, you now have Solidus launching an attack on Afghanistan to combat terrorism and creating Shadow Moses to create terrorism in the same year.

Especially when the President leading the war on terror is Solidus Snake. They should have just left 9/11 out of it, you now have Solidus launching an attack on Afghanistan to combat terrorism and creating Shadow Moses to create terrorism in the same year.

That's because it wasn't the president who launched the attack in Afgh, it was the Patriots using him as a puppet to do that. Solidus went behind their back and started up Shadow Moses as a counter to them. He was always a puppet under their control, like he said during MGS2. Anything he did that was credited to him was really the patriots.

BigBoss

Am I crazy or is 9/11 and the "war on terror" never mentioned in in MGS game prior to Rising? Its been a while since I've played MGS4 so I could be wrong.

Am I crazy or is 9/11 and the "war on terror" never mentioned in in MGS game prior to Rising? Its been a while since I've played MGS4 so I could be wrong.

For a person named BigBoss I'm saddened you don't know the answer.

But I would imagine it was touched on in MGS4, I honestly can't remember either.

I really need to go back and do the DLC. And I really need to play through the main game on a harder difficulty, too, since after finishing it on normal I feel like I don't know how to play the game at all.

You are correct. MSG never touched on that before Rising. Even MGS4 avoided it despite taking place in part in the middle east.

Dany

Banned
Listening to 10/29/13 podcast and I'm really disappointed by Vinny's stance with regards to Ellen Page being upset that people can see her likeness fully nude in Beyond; Two Souls.

Curufinwe

It was really nice of Baker to do that for them. I wonder if the GotY podcast discussion of him being a Please Stop candidate came before or afterwards.

I haven't been able to get Elite Dangerous out of my mind since the quick look so I caved and bought the game. It's supposed to be very playable on keyboard and mouse or Xbox 360 controller so I'll go with that until it hooks me, then I'll invest in a hotas setup. I have like 100 hours into Eurotruck Sim 2 so space trucking alone is appealing.

Yeah, I've been playing Elite with a keyboard and mouse and its fine. Really, a HOTAS is more for immersion, I don't think there's really any tactical advantage to using a stick.

Dany

Banned
more info please

Vinny was arguing that Ellen Page has no right to be upset nor has a case that its a defamation to her character. Because the video game character is a likeness, has her voice and face. Doesn't mean that its her. In total he was just being a creepy jerk trying to sideline that developers added nipples to a video game model when they shouldn't have.

komplanen

Yeah it was a creepy and uncalled for thing to do from the developer but at least you had to jump over some serious fucking hoops to even have a chance to ever see it.

jaina

It was really nice of Baker to do that for them. I wonder if the GotY podcast discussion of him being a Please Stop candidate came before or afterwards.

Troy was on the Lobby on Dec 2nd. They recorded the Bombcast to test the deliberations setup on Dec 2nd or 1st. So I'm pretty sure the GotY discussion came afterwards.

Vinny was arguing that Ellen Page has no right to be upset nor has a case that its a defamation to her character. Because the video game character is a likeness, has her voice and face. Doesn't mean that its her. In total he was just being a creepy jerk trying to sideline that developers added nipples to a video game model when they shouldn't have.

I'd say it was less that they added nipples that they neglected to edit them out. they used actual skin textures in that and Heavy Rain. Not Page's, except for the face.

Not excusing what happened or anything, but it makes a little more sense when you know that.

hamchan

Still think it was weird that was even a candidate, doubly so after he helped them with GOTY. Should have called it "stop making the main characters of games so similar." Ain't Troy Baker's fault he's so good at what he does that he gets all the leading roles.

Still think it was weird that was even a candidate, doubly so after he helped them with GOTY. Should have called it "stop making the main characters of games so similar." Ain't Troy Baker's fault he's so good at what he does that he gets all the leading roles.

Uh, that was pretty much what they said in their discussion.

tchocky

That's disappointing to hear Vinnys stance on that, I remember the only other time I was disappointed in Vinny is while watching the Persona 4 endurance run he referred to Naoto as it.

That's disappointing to hear Vinnys stance on that, I remember the only other time I was disappointed in Vinny is while watching the Persona 4 endurance run he referred to Naoto as it.

Yeah, there's some stuff in the 2008-2010 era of videos that I can't imagine any of them would say today, nor would they get away with it if they did. They've matured a fair bit since then.

Found out that Blizzard region locks the Battle.net client so I can't add EU folks like Jimmy and Daydream. Damnit Blizzard.

Edit: Maybe not? Was able to add jimmy but not daydream. I blame daydream.

Edit again: i was right the first time, region locked.

daydream

Banned
You can't play cross-region, it seems. I switched to US and we had no problem adding each other. None of my progress carries over when I do that, though.

Erm, what the fuck?

Found out that Blizzard region locks the Battle.net client so I can't add EU folks like Jimmy and Daydream. Damnit Blizzard.

Edit: Maybe not? Was able to add jimmy but not daydream. I blame daydream.

Edit again: i was right the first time, region locked.

yeah that sounds like battle.net

its a pretty dumb pos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom