• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It was an okay game, but quite disappointing for a few reasons. The best way to put it would be that when Brotherhood was released, everyone was surprised by how meaty the single-player component was; with a ton of side content, neat features (Brotherhood systems, Da Vinci machines, Borgia Towers), a large city area to explore, new symbol puzzles, and a packed main storyline that swiftly continued Ezio's story and gave many minor characters from II more time in the spotlight. Revelations, on the other hand, was the kind of content-lite iterative release that everyone was expecting Brotherhood to be, with a noticeable reduction in side content (e.g. Only one side-mission for each faction), gimmicky features that didn't make it out of this one (that bad Tower Defense mini-game, the boring Desmond puzzle-platformer), and a plot that played it too safe. On that last point, essentially, they threw out the cast built up over two games and replaced them with characters that are hardly developed (and the villains are a noticeable downgrade from the Borgias). 16 was the biggest disappointment, as they really don't do that much with him in the main game, after three games of build-up.

But, like I said at the beginning, it's still an okay game. The bombs were fun to use (though admittedly quite broken), the setpieces to obtain the Masyaf keys were fun enough, the Altair sequences probably had a better story arc than the Ezio plot, Istanbul was a nice city to climb around in, and the character designs were pleasantly colorful and detailed,

Ok that all makes sense, thanks.

I'm a little bit past the introductory tower defense mission now and it wasn't great. Mostly because the view is locked to ezio, so swivelling the camera to place units just feels awkward. It also just seems very basic, at least so far. I can see why they dropped it.

20H A WEEK FOR 6 MONTHS BABY

480H OF SWEET SWEET VIDEOGAMIN'

Seeing those three behind-the-scenes videos on that dvd was so strange. I mean, I know it happened, and Rick Dyer had this company making video games like this, but it just seems so crazy that it existed.

Man, I can't wait for the next Powerbombcast
to hear Jeff and Alex paint Sting's debut, Ziggler's win, and the Authority's death sound like no big deal.

Did not watch myself, so cannot comment directly, but as with all wrestling storylines, it depends what they do next. WWE should have something solid to build from now, but they are very likely to fall at the first hurdle, and fail to capitalise on all the good they have built up in tonight's RAW. This seemingly ALWAYS happen with WWE - they get something good going, and are quick to ruin it.

If Jeff and Alex were to record the podcast before RAW, I think they would be optimistic - like most. If they record on Wednesday or even next week, WWE will likely have given them many reason to be justifiably disappointed about something or other.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, Rorie should be on more podcasts. It feels like Dan&Drew almost never talk when it's not specifically about the games they played so it was good to have a "third" person in the disccussion.

I'm super pro-Rorie. He does have to restrain himself from babbling, but he's a dude who knows a little bit of a whole lot of things and that makes him good to have on a podcast that jumps topics constantly.

Noaloha

Just watched the recent UPF and I have a gripe to get off my chest. I'm sure it was mentioned in this thread and called out as bullshit already, so apologies for bringing up bad times, but the 'killanita' thing on the Lie Swatter game - and how not a word was said about it by anyone there, even after it appeared, what, three times? - it really, really just left a sour taste in my mouth. I appreciate that it's a live show and it's jolly fun times and jokes and entertainment and there might be hesitancy among those on the couch in taking the step of acknowledging disgusting community behaviour, but.. no, fuck it, that shit should be hold-the-fuck-on-apply-the-brakes stuff. It was gross that that flew on by, repeatedly. Like, I finished the show less happy than I was going into it. That's the opposite of what I expect when I watch a UPF.

Again, sorry, I hate to be a downer but come on guys, police that shit. :/

Just watched the recent UPF and I have a gripe to get off my chest. I'm sure it was mentioned in this thread and called out as bullshit already, so apologies for bringing up bad times, but the 'killanita' thing on the Lie Swatter game - and how not a word was said about it by anyone there, even after it appeared, what, three times? - it really, really just left a sour taste in my mouth. I appreciate that it's a live show and it's jolly fun times and jokes and entertainment and there might be hesitancy among those on the couch in taking the step of acknowledging disgusting community behaviour, but.. no, fuck it, that shit should be hold-the-fuck-on-apply-the-brakes stuff. It was gross that that flew on by, repeatedly. Like, I finished the show less happy than I was going into it. That's the opposite of what I expect when I watch a UPF.

I didn't even notice, so maybe they were right not to call attention to it.

It probably wasn't brought up here because after people said it was a bad UPF, most of us just didn't bother to watch it. Hell I just watched through to Dan's testicle lie and then turned it off because it's boring to watch them staring at their phones.

Honestly it took me forever to get what the word was because I'm so far checked out from Gamergate. And didn't some people from the chat join in for that one? It's good not to give those people attention.

BearPawB

Banned

I didn't notice. That game was so boring I wasn't paying attention.

Yeah I didn't even notice it since I wasn't paying much attention to this UPF - especially during the boring Lie Swatter section. But yeah they could've called it out if they noticed it.

Zaph

The name was small, in the corner and flashed up for only a second. Plus, the couch is quite far back from the TV - I'm not even sure any of them noticed.

Besides, how would you even want them to react in that situation? "Hold on guys! Everyone stop! I think I just saw something really offensive!".

count me in as not noticing. and to be honest the best way to handle something like that is to not call attention to it and try to move on to the next segment. there's no way to police some random anonymous idiot, so ignoring them and taking away their platform at the earliest convenience is the smart move.

on something less ephemeral like a tweet or forum post, you can call someone out/ raise the appropriate noise.

Noaloha

I feel fairly certain that several of the group explicitly noticed it for what it was, albeit, not immediately. I don't wish for this to be accusatory or anything, so I'll just leave that as my honest observation. It was certainly noticed in passing; the name was read out twice, as were many of the other names, they were making a point of acknowledging the other players during that segment. Once more, because I'm being genuinely earnest here, I'm not pointing my finger and angrily admonishing the GB crew (I totally appreciate the situation it occurred in and the complicated nature of what to do in that situation); I just wanted to make it clear that that whole thing kinda ruined the entire show for me, sadly, and that could have been avoided with something as simple as a "yo, fuck that guy". If I'm waaaay off base and nobody there genuinely saw it for what it was, then consider me over-sensitive and I'll take that flak.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I watched that whole UPF and i didn't notice that name even once, i bet the guys didn't notice or they thought that they were not gonna give that dick the attention he wanted.

LegoArmo

I don't know if they made the connection, I thought I heard them say at one point "killanita is killing it". Maybe without capitalisation they didn't quite make the connection.

Zaph

I feel fairly certain that several of the group explicitly noticed it for what it was, albeit, not immediately. I don't wish for this to be accusatory or anything, so I'll just leave that as my honest observation. It was certainly noticed in passing; the name was read out twice, as were many of the other names, they were making a point of acknowledging the other players during that segment. Once more, because I'm being genuinely earnest here, I'm not pointing my finger and angrily admonishing the GB crew (I totally appreciate the situation it occurred in and the complicated nature of what to do in that situation); I just wanted to make it clear that that whole thing kinda ruined the entire show for me, sadly, and that could have been avoided with something as simple as a "yo, fuck that guy". If I'm waaaay off base and nobody there genuinely saw it for what it was, then consider me over-sensitive and I'll take that flak.

I've seen TV hosts ignore a penis on screen. I think it's just the mentality of hosting - ignore it and keep the show moving.

popo

Didn't notice it. Even if I did - I would have to think about what it meant. Most usernames you just say out loud and don't consider any hidden meaning - especially with no spaces in like that.

Like with Jason's wife on that charity stream. She was just reading things out. If she had stopped to consider then I am sure she would have released all the "Fat Brad" stuff was people playing pranks but she was just concentrating on reading the chat. And that stuff was much more obvious than this one.

Myggen

I don't know if they made the connection, I thought I heard them say at one point "killanita is killing it". Maybe without capitalisation they didn't quite make the connection.

I didn't notice it during the live show. Assholes will be assholes, I guess. If they did notice I think they did the right thing by ignoring it and not bringing it more attention. There's little you can do to "police" it when it's not something you can control on the site (in the chat, forum, or comments).

Judging by the Gamespot article the presumption is a fortnight, so possibly ending this week.

Yup, either Friday or over the weekend. I assume it's over the weekend, but no way to know for sure.

hamchan

I didn't notice that. I can't blame them if they didn't notice it.

So they're out of office on Thursday and Friday this week, right? I hope they at least record an episode of MGScanlon for the break. And have a live stream on Wednesday.

That was Dan. It looked like several of the others noticed it and avoided saying the name.

popo

So they're out of office on Thursday and Friday this week, right? I hope they at least record an episode of MGScanlon for the break. And have a live stream on Wednesday.

SF dudes. Danny, Jason, Dan and maybe Brad might fly out Wednesday.

They have recorded MGS on Mondays for the past two weeks. Would not be surprised to see one tomorrow.

Hopefully Thanksgiving does not cost us a mgs episode!

Likely to cost you at least two. End of this week and start of next.

daydream

Banned
A couple of us pointed it out in the thread (I think I posted something along the lines of 'fuck that guy') but yeah, I don't think they realised what they were reading. Dan certainly didn't.

Myggen

Drew's return to the game after the thanksgiving break will surely be perfect with no mistakes made.

Salt--300x225.jpg

But yeah, hope we'll get a stream on Wednesday (or Tuesday, depending on when they fly out).

Renpatsu

I CAN BARELY CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT BECAUSE THE NEXT BOMBCAST THREAD IS BRAND SPANKING NEW AND NOT RECYCLED CONTENT LIKE LAST WEEK

popo

hmm, I think I get why people complain that UPF is often boring. You watch it live. I can never be bothered to tune in at midnight and always watch the archives on a second monitor while I am doing something else - boring paperwork usually.

I was just catching up with the UPF from a week ago and I can totally see that segment where Dan plays Tony Hawk for 45 minutes being excruciating to watch live - but as something on in the background where they talk about Tony Hawk games and Jackass - totally fine. Good even.

Obvious observation maybe but thought it was worth saying.

Brashnir

I CAN BARELY CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT BECAUSE THE NEXT BOMBCAST THREAD IS BRAND SPANKING NEW AND NOT RECYCLED CONTENT LIKE LAST WEEK

God, all these changes suck. The new thread has black hair for some reason and it's 30fps. They also changed the camera angle, and nerfed my favorite weapon.

The thread is worthless now. They need to go back to the old way for next week's thread.

Didn't notice it. Even if I did - I would have to think about what it meant. Most usernames you just say out loud and don't consider any hidden meaning - especially with no spaces in like that.

Like with Jason's wife on that charity stream. She was just reading things out. If she had stopped to consider then I am sure she would have released all the "Fat Brad" stuff was people playing pranks but she was just concentrating on reading the chat. And that stuff was much more obvious than this one.

she caught on eventually and started mildly chastising people. that's a rough combination, not being a professional broadcaster, running on low sleep and nearly starving, and trying to be entertaining. she probably should have started ignoring those comments, but oh well.

Jason on the other hand, is super sharp (which we already knew). Several times something would be said and he would either quickly change the subject or say "don't worry about it," even when he was setting up equipment at the same time. I guess being responsible for censoring Dan for all that time requires a certain level of alertness.

Myggen

she caught on eventually and started mildly chastising people. that's a rough combination, not being a professional broadcaster, running on low sleep and nearly starving, and trying to be entertaining. she probably should have started ignoring those comments, but oh well.

Jason on the other hand, is super sharp (which we already knew). Several times something would be said and he would either quickly change the subject or say "don't worry about it," even when he was setting up equipment at the same time. I guess being responsible for censoring Dan for all that time requires a certain level of alertness.

It can be a delicate balance. Watching something like the Games Done Quick marathons, I often cringe at some of the donation comments they read out loud.

edit: I also really liked the UPF (didn't watch it live). The lie swapper game or whatever it was called was boring, but especially the last game they played was entertaining as hell. Still I can understand people not loving to watch them play YDKJ and Fibbage, and I'm probably in the minority there in this thread at least.

No honestly I kind of enjoy Drew's fumbling about the game. He plays it basically how I would. Yeah it's tough to watch but it's still pretty enjoyable in some parts, like where Dan has to restrain himself from telling Drew what to do.

I never catch UPF live, but as nice as it is to skip around when things slow down, things were really slow last week.

I wonder if the next Bombcast thread will be just a rehash of the previous one like last time. Gosh, I sure hope not!

Yeah Jason was really good with that stuff. Even when he looked like he wasn't paying any attention to the stream stuff he was quick to jump in and prevent any possibly awkward situations.

Patryn

Until this thread pointed it out, I didn't make the connection either. For whatever reason I kept seeing it like "Godzilla", as a single word. Sounded like some monster name.

I will echo missing that username snafu stuff also because that game was fucking boring enough to be not paying attention.

It can be a delicate balance. Watching something like the Games Done Quick marathons, I often cringe at some of the donation comments they read out loud.

edit: I also really liked the UPF (didn't watch it live). The lie swapper game or whatever it was called was boring, but especially the last game they played was entertaining as hell. Still I can understand people not loving to watch them play YDKJ and Fibbage, and I'm probably in the minority there in this thread at least.

Yea i thought the UPF was alright but it was more about the reactions (Dan's godlike troll and the drawings/lies were great examples) rather than the games themselves.

I wonder if the next Bombcast thread will be just a rehash of the previous one like last time. Gosh, I sure hope not!

Yeah Jason was really good with that stuff. Even when he looked like he wasn't paying any attention to the stream stuff he was quick to jump in and prevent any possibly awkward situations.

It was funny when he placed her in charge of a game and that forced her to stay away from chat long enough until he returned.

Drew is just before the Fatman fight correct?
I've been dreading him having that boss battle. I've played MGS2 a dozen times, some recently and that fight STILL gives me trouble. I don't know what it is but I keep getting stuck on one of the bombs with too little time left.

That really is a disaster

Yup. I absolutely love Halo, it's one of my favorite series, but I ended up getting a refund for MCC a few days ago. At some point if I still can't play the game and my friends and I can't get into matches together then patience runs out and I wasn't given the product I thought I paid for. I'll end up rebuying it in a few months if it's all fixed up, but it's hard to defend the game at this point, even with how much I love the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom