• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
OlLavZ8.png

Couldn't resist. But yeah, he's a solid writer. Hope Kotaku is a good home for him.

Also, that was taken straight out a comment from his Resident Evil article from yesterday. A guy posted that video in the comments and Patrick made an article out of it.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder if Jeff got an invite to the Microsoft press event tomorrow. It seems other gaming journalists did so.

Dunno about an invite but the way he was talking about it on twitter the other day, looks like MS are trying to hype the gaming press about the event.

ultron87

Yeah, Patrick's move to Kotaku kinda sucks. He still writes quality stuff, but it gets pushed down almost immediately by their fluffy firehose of content. I don't see how this benefits him at all. On Giantbomb, he could have the front page for days at a time.

I imagine his stuff is still generating more views being on the Kotaku front page for a short time than it did hanging on the GB front page for days.

popo

It's Brendan Ducousso of Headboard and Suburban All-Stars fame. I also think he was Jeff's roommate at one point.

He is the famous (ex) Strip Club DJ, dirt bag room mate Jeff always used to complain about until he disappeared without notice over a year ago before turning up working on some cruise line. The one who had a mattress delivered and left it outside to rot.

I think Jeff said he was still paying rent to store his shit until recently he collected it and Jess upgraded to a "roommate" who has a cat, amongst other things.

Or something.

Dude chose his path and knew that the site was like this so I don't feel too bad for him.

I'm not sympathetic for him, he has now had multiple cooler jobs and opportunities than I've ever had haha, I'm just more annoyed that it came at the expense of some of my favorite GB content.

popo

I imagine his stuff is still generating more views being on the Kotaku front page for a short time than it did hanging on the GB front page for days.

Depends how you value it. He was known as "Giant Bomb's news guy" and currently is only "another Kotaku writer". Of course, since Kotaku actually has an investigative news dept (well that one guy at least), I am sure Pat is waiting for the right scoop to come along and make his name again - you can't live off "Infinity Ward" and "second person to break the MS DRM story a few hours early" for your whole career.

I bet Gawker as a whole is better set up for home workers too - since they employ so many of them. GB with Jeff's - write what you like here is a pay check - approach offered a lot of freedom but some people work better with a little more structure.

Zaph

I wonder if Jeff got an invite to the Microsoft press event tomorrow. It seems other gaming journalists did so.

Yeah, maybe it's just the tech echo chamber, but it seems weird how MS is making such a big deal about the gaming angle. What can they realistically announce? More DX12 details? An exclusive coming to PC?

If it's just a re-designed store front to give Windows 10 it's own Steam-like service, then they should probably quiet down some. GFWL wasn't that long ago and developers are still patching it out...

Zornack

Dunno about an invite but the way he was talking about it on twitter the other day, looks like MS are trying to hype the gaming press about the event.

Which seems to me like a terrible idea to me. Anything short of "All these Xbox games are now PC games!" is going to be a disappointment now.

erawsd

Speaking of Patrick, I wonder who'll take over booking the night shows. I dont think its necessarily a news editor thing, it just made sense for Patrick to take over since he has a ton of contacts.

Myggen

He is the famous (ex) Strip Club DJ, dirt bag room mate Jeff always used to complain about until he disappeared without notice over a year ago before turning up working on some cruise line. The one who had a mattress delivered and left it outside to rot.

I think Jeff said he was still paying rent to store his shit until recently he collected it and Jess upgraded to a "roommate" who has a cat, amongst other things.

Or something.

We know too much about Jeff.

Speaking of Patrick, I wonder who'll take over booking the night shows. I dont think its necessarily a news editor thing, it just made sense for Patrick to take over since he has a ton of contacts.
I imagine it will be Alex, he dealt with the goty lists recently so I guess he'll likely deal with night show guests as well.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Larry the Cable Guy needs to die in a fire, but Ron White is a national treasure.

Ryan and I once hung out with Ron White in his dressing room, for about 90 seconds, until we realized the polite thing to do would be to leave him and the two very young ladies who were with him to smoke their joint in peace.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp...just got stuck in Talos Principle for the first time. Now I just want to go home to try to figure out how I can go through 4 doors with only 3 jammers

Speaking of the latest UPF and Brad being weird, how does it make any goddamn sense whatsoever to hate on Puyo Puyo Tetris for not being classic Tetris while simultaneously praising Tetris Battle Gaiden - a game where the Tetris part of it is almost irrelevant.

Speaking of the latest UPF and Brad being weird, how does it make any goddamn sense whatsoever to hate on Puyo Puyo Tetris for not being classic Tetris while simultaneously praising Tetris Battle Gaiden - a game where the Tetris part of it is almost irrelevant.

the world's a happier place when you accept that it's actually totally okay to have dumb opinions and sometimes even say them out loud

I'm all for hating on guideline Tetris, because at least with that game they're knowingly peddling an inferior product, but PPT is pretty much its own thing. It's doing something new, so I can more than forgive the Tetris not being the exact Tetris you want.

erawsd

Ryan and I once hung out with Ron White in his dressing room, for about 90 seconds, until we realized the polite thing to do would be to leave him and the two very young ladies who were with him to smoke their joint in peace.

You were probably 45 seconds away from telling us about the time you and Ryan had an Orgy with Ron White. Missed opportunity.

I wonder if the Bully Brad vs. Victim Dan dynamic is an intentional gimmick or not. Hopefully it evolves into something else, it's kind've gone stale for me.

Yeah, maybe it's just the tech echo chamber, but it seems weird how MS is making such a big deal about the gaming angle. What can they realistically announce? More DX12 details? An exclusive coming to PC?

If it's just a re-designed store front to give Windows 10 it's own Steam-like service, then they should probably quiet down some. GFWL wasn't that long ago and developers are still patching it out...

My guess is they're going to announce a way that Xbox and PC are connected under Windows 10 (perhaps a UI revamp for XBO?) or I could even see something crazy like if you own an Xbox One you can play games on your PC from it, kinda like remote play but a PC instead of a Vita. Maybe this year they'll actually follow up on saying they haven't abandoned PC gaming, in Phil Spencer we trust.

I wonder if the Bully Brad vs. Victim Dan dynamic is an intentional gimmick or not. Hopefully it evolves into something else, it's a little grating.

Brad definitely plays it up in some cases, I think people him a bit too seriously sometimes, like thinking he was legitimately mad at Dan's "eat a peach for hours" comment on the bombcast. They're two competitive guys, it adds some fun to them playing multiplayer stuff.

You were probably 45 seconds away from telling us about the time you and Ryan had an Orgy with Ron White. Missed opportunity.

My guess is they're going to announce a way that Xbox and PC are connected under Windows 10 (perhaps a UI revamp for XBO?) or I could even see something crazy like if you own an Xbox One you can play games on your PC from it, kinda like remote play but a PC instead of a Vita. Maybe this year they'll actually follow up on saying they haven't abandoned PC gaming, in Phil Spencer we trust.

Philly Spencer should cut a wrestling shoot promo at Gabe Newell

Brad definitely plays it up sometimes, I think people him a bit too seriously sometimes, like thinking he was legitimately mad at Dan's "eat a peach for hours" comment on the bombcast. They're two competitive guys, it adds some fun to them playing multiplayer stuff.

You're pretty right. I have to tell myself sometimes that it's a gag, but even then it doesn't always land for me.

And it does pay off in multiplayer stuff, but pretty much only when Dan wins. Brad is Triple H, Dan is Daniel Bryan. Brad is Gaston, Dan's.. the kid teacup or something.

Larry the Cable Guy needs to die in a fire, but Ron White is a national treasure.

IS it weird that I have a lot of respect for Larry?

I think he's terrible but I used to live in Kansas City about 15 years ago and back then he was just some bad comic that would come on the local rock station a few times a week.
I never thought I would hear more from him but he kept doing his act and found and audience and he got rich doing it. I respect when people do what they want to do and make their living doing it.

Ron White is fucking amazing.

AngryMoth

Welp...just got stuck in Talos Principle for the first time. Now I just want to go home to try to figure out how I can go through 4 doors with only 3 jammers
I was stuck on that one for ages last night. This is the first game I've played in a long time with puzzles this good. Sometimes I sit there thinking "this is literally impossible", and then when the solution comes to me I feel like a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom