• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Are you seriously implying that whether Shadow Broker or Minerva's Den was the best DLC of 2010 is not a question of world historical importance? My God, man.

Well, it WAS important once. But now we have a definitive answer. It's Minerva's Den. That's a fact now.

So with PAX ruining everything, I suppose Metal Gear Scanlon 3 will be next week at the earliest?

Oh no, is it PAX time again already? *sigh*

Megasoum

Banned
So with PAX ruining everything, I suppose Metal Gear Scanlon 3 will be next week at the earliest?

Once they come back from PAX they will have to get ready for GDC so probably nothing for a couple of weeks afterward...

Then it will be PAX East...

And then E3...

So I guess MGS3 will be around early July.

If I were making the next Saints Row, I'd probably go for a real "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" vibe. Just a bunch of assholes trying dumb schemes and inevitably fucking up. Keep the actual happenings grounded and realistic - by which I mean "no superpowers", because obviously Always Sunny gets real daft - but just make it a pure farcical comedy.

Myggen

Once they come back from PAX they will have to get ready for GDC so probably nothing for a couple of weeks afterward....

IIRC, they never use much time getting ready for GDC. It's in SF, the only stuff they prepare is the guests for the night show(s) and that's mostly one person (Alex, probably).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no it's PAX week again, I forgot about that. Hopefully they will eventually be able to compensate for that by having two offices.

I wonder if they'll keep going to every PAX, three in a year seems like a lot. The only one that I would want them to go is in Australia, since that would probably bring us a bunch of good site content.

Jothel

Being such a small country, it's kind of hard not to hear about one of our own doing well in a sport, even if you don't follow that sport at all. I'd say right now it's around the point where people you wouldn't expect to have heard of him have heard of him.

Wow fair enough, the UFC are making such a big deal out of him right now I wondered if the hype was actually really back home. Good to know, cheers!

daydream

Banned
I'm probably in the minority but I only played the first Borderlands (+DLC) so that Handsome Collection is actually something I look forward to picking up when I get a PS4.

well that led me down the road to figuring it out, no thanks to anybody else here :p

My hint made it easy, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I were making the next Saints Row, I'd probably go for a real "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" vibe. Just a bunch of assholes trying dumb schemes and inevitably fucking up. Keep the actual happenings grounded and realistic - by which I mean "no superpowers", because obviously Always Sunny gets real daft - but just make it a pure farcical comedy.

I honestly don't think there's an issue with them going back to no powers. The powers were alright, but I enjoyed 3's gameplay more. I think the next step should be adding in the destruction system from Red Faction with the gameplay of 3.

I'm probably in the minority but I only played the first Borderlands (+DLC) so that Handsome Collection is actually something I look forward to picking up when I get a PS4.

I platinum'd the first BLs but quickly found myself bored of the second. The map still blew ass, the areas still felt like they were pulled from a late 90s FPS design-wise, and the small changes they added didn't really feel like enough for a full fledged sequel (hey look the enemies roll to the side in a slow and ineffective manner now instead of running right towards you!).

Plus, that shit that they pulled where the GOTY edition didn't have all of the level cap DLC was slimy as hell. Fuck that.

I honestly don't think there's an issue with them going back to no powers. The powers were alright, but I enjoyed 3's gameplay more. I think the next step should be adding in the destruction system from Red Faction with the gameplay of 3.

GTAIV reined it after San Andreas went full stupid with some it its stuff and everyone was ok with it, though vanilla GTAIV did kinda suck and i didn't care for it till the episodes came out.

They can totally go back to at least SR3-levels of kookiness with their next game and people will be ok with it. Maybe a new cast and a definitely a different city, but have a character or two show up from the older games.

But if any series could get away with doing a back-to-the-future-II style of city with hovercars and hoverboards, it's SR.

BL2 somehow fell into the same trap as BL1 in that the post-game DLC wasn't fun to play with end-game characters because you just blew through it.

So you either had to start new characters, get them to the right level range, and play it that way, or just faceroll your way through the new content you paid for.

I think I'm kinda done with Gearbox games for a while since they've managed to make me more angry at products I've purchased than almost any other developer lately.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just want a saints row that actually has good gameplay and not gameplay that is "fun" because of how overpowered you can be, and even before that it's braindead easy.

Just makes it tedious really. All the enemy encounters in that game was just so boring to play through.

Also hate collectibles. I'm the anti-brad/vinny in this case.

Megasoum

Banned
BL2 somehow fell into the same trap as BL1 in that the post-game DLC wasn't fun to play with end-game characters because you just blew through it.

So you either had to start new characters, get them to the right level range, and play it that way, or just faceroll your way through the new content you paid for.

I think I'm kinda done with Gearbox games for a while since they've managed to make me more angry at products I've purchased than almost any other developer lately.

Yeah it's a mess. The DLC is either too easy or too hard depending where you at with your character.

For example I wanted to try the BL2 D&D DLC that looked interesting but I was getting destroyed by the first trash mob I saw after spawning in the zone...bleh.

Lijik

I had an idea for a Saints Row reboot where the characters go back in time to around the first game and try to redo things and make a perfect future for themselves (which of course fucks up). So the setup is still coming off of IV's goofiness but the gameplay and setting are more grounded, especially if theres some narrative contrivance thats get them stuck in the time period so they cant just zap back into space when things go haywire.

sneaky77

You could do the new game + on the DLC, I really enjoyed the dlc in BL2,

Wunder

I had an idea for a Saints Row reboot where the characters go back in time to around the first game and try to redo things and make a perfect future for themselves (which of course fucks up). So the setup is still coming off of IV's goofiness but the gameplay and setting are more grounded, especially if theres some narrative contrivance thats get them stuck in the time period so they cant just zap back into space when things go haywire.

That's pretty damn good!

bring back old shaundi

This is actually kind of perfect, (SRIV ending spoilers):
tying into the time travel aspects introduced in the epilogue.

Quentyn

Wouldn't mind a complete Saints Row reboot. They can keep some characters, that are still relatively fresh like Kinzie, but other than that I would prefer a complete fresh start.

What they really need, though, is a complete engine overhaul. The series already looked slightly bad with Saints Row 3, but now in 2015 and especially on new consoles it is just embarrassing.

Wouldn't mind a complete Saints Row reboot. They can keep some characters, that are still relatively fresh like Kinzie, but other than that I would prefer a complete fresh start.

What they really need, though, is a complete engine overhaul. The series already looked slightly bad with Saints Row 3, but now in 2015 and especially on new consoles it is just embarrassing.

Gat was my favorite character in 2. If they toned the boss back down Gat would fit his role again quite well.

Myggen

Listening to the The Ricker episode of NintenDowload X-Press again now that Jeff uploaded them all to Soundcloud. Truly a masterpiece of podcasting!

"Two things I believe in: open wheeled racing and Canada Dry. And also Jesus."

"I can speak intelligently about two things: open wheeled racing and Wario."

sad seeing Patrick's work on Kotaku buried under a bunch of clickbait headlines

pcars.jpg

Listening to the The Ricker episode of NintenDowload X-Press again now that Jeff uploaded them all to Soundcloud. Truly a masterpiece of podcasting!

It is a damn shame NDX main advertiser pulled out

It made Jeff Burn himself eating noodles :(

BearPawB

Banned
I don't know where saints row goes from here.

Space?
There hasn't really been a space GTA since.... Red Faction Guerilla?

Or did Borderlands the Presequel kinda do the "space" thing too recently?

I don't know where saints row goes from here.

Space?
There hasn't really been a space GTA since.... Red Faction Guerilla?

Or did Borderlands the Presequel kinda do the "space" thing too recently?

technically, they did space with the end of SR3, so they've dipped their toes in that too. I'm tellin' ya, if they want to keep the goofy stuff going the future is the answer.

technically, they did space with the end of SR3, so they've dipped their toes in that too. I'm tellin' ya, if they want to keep the goofy stuff going the future is the answer.
Or some alternate past where you have cars alongside dinosaurs. Dinosaurs really feel like the next logical step for the franchise.

sad seeing Patrick's work on Kotaku buried under a bunch of clickbait headlines

who?

yea that ricker ep was pretty good and i also like the valentines day one as well.

that entire podcast was like a litmus test to see how long Jeff could endure before going straight off the deep end lol

Yeah, Patrick's move to Kotaku kinda sucks. He still writes quality stuff, but it gets pushed down almost immediately by their fluffy firehose of content. I don't see how this benefits him at all. On Giantbomb, he could have the front page for days at a time.

dogpowerd

Banned

Did Jeff ever say who the other dude was? He was really funny.

Zaph

Yeah, Patrick's move to Kotaku kinda sucks. He still writes quality stuff, but it gets pushed down almost immediately by their fluffy firehose of content. I don't see how this benefits him at all. On Giantbomb, he could have the front page for days at a time.

OlLavZ8.png

Couldn't resist. But yeah, he's a solid writer. Hope Kotaku is a good home for him.

hamchan

I've been giving Scoops a hard time for his writing but man, he does not deserve this.

Dude chose his path and knew that the site was like this so I don't feel too bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom