• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingocfs

To me, Jeff's Destiny rant in this week's Giantbombcast has like 0 authenticity after the GOTY.
KuGsj.gif

Well, yeah: what he says is 100% right, but the anger is baffling.

Why? I haven't listened to this weeks show yet but it's always been obvious what he likes about the game and how disappointed he is in what it turned out to be. He's just more plain about it than Brad is.

popo

If Jeff didn't like the gameplay he would not keep ranting about the game, he would just brand it lame and move on. It is an anger that comes from disapointment.

A Dan and Drew QL. If I close my eyes and pretend hard enough it's almost like a new MGS.

I still have absolutely 0 desire to play any Resident Evil games.

I really liked 5, which probably makes me the antichrist in RE fan circles

I played about an hour of 4, and the first level or two of 5. Nothing about the games appeal to me. I'm not a big horror fan, I find zombies boring, and there are few shooters I end up loving. Everything about the games combine into being one of the few game franchises I just have absolutely no interest in.

Jintor

Cara and Jake Adelstein (investigative reporter in Japan, probably one of the best foreign reporters there if not the best, wrote an amazing book about the Yakuza) are twitter chatting right now about Thief. There's a weird intersection of things I'm interested in.

Cara and Jake Adelstein (investigative reporter in Japan, probably one of the best foreign reporters there if not the best, wrote an amazing book about the Yakuza) are twitter chatting right now about Thief. There's a weird intersection of things I'm interested in.

I'm actually in the middle of Tokyo Vice right now and it totally rules. Highly recommended. Especially if you like the Yakuza games, it's interesting to hear how close the games come to reality in so many ways.

Myggen

5 is a good action game. The only RE game I've really disliked was RE 6. It was way too long, and I never liked the combat. You'll see people on GAF saying that it has the best third person shooter combat ever, but I don't see it at all. Most of the bossfights were pretty shit too.

I liked the tank control REs at the time, but have found it hard to go back to those games now. I guess I'm just not a fan of that control scheme anymore.

Why? They're great!

It's just filled with various things I generally don't like. I don't like horror, zombies or third person shooters. The little I played of 4 and 5 drove it home that I didn't find them enjoyable in any way. I respect the games, they're just not for me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really miss the FMV intros to the original RE1 and Director's Cut. These CGI clips suck.

You're not alone.

Neh, 5's fine. 6 is the shit show. But hey, Code Veronica is my favorite so I'm probably more of the crazy one.
I feel like the opinions of that game have completely turned, atleast on GAF. It's like RE6 is the new Vanquish or something.

bigkrev

Holy shit, Beginner mode (which they are playing) looks like a joke. 2-4 shots to kill a Zombie?

And it's because i've played RE games dozens of times, but i'm SMH at Dan's inventory management. Picking up Ink Ribbons outside of save rooms? Picking up items before you know you need them? It's like handing someone the original Zelda game, and watching them not go in the cave to get the sword for an hour or something.

Neh, 5's fine. 6 is the shit show. But hey, Code Veronica is my favorite so I'm probably more of the crazy one.

Code Veronica is the most refined of the original formula, and also the easiest game by a significant margin due to how powerful the Knife is (you don't even need to use the handgun in the first half of the game if you don't want to due to the knife if you want to kill every zombie).

I feel like the opinions of that game have completely turned, atleast on GAF. It's like RE6 is the new Vanquish or something.

Some of the major issues seemed to have been patched up soon after launch and from what i read the game does a poor job of explaining its mechanics. haven't played it yet but it's sitting in my steam backlog, tempting me

I believe the vanquish comparison comes from the fast paced combat and that every weapon has its own melee move or something like that. The comparison isn't completely baffling.

To me, Jeff's Destiny rant in this week's Giantbombcast has like 0 authenticity after the GOTY.
KuGsj.gif

Well, yeah: what he says is 100% right, but the anger is baffling.

Sounds like Jeff finally figured out what everything else figured out about Destiny. There's actually LESS grinding if you never play it and nothing you do matters because every single piece of item you grind for and upgrade will be useless in less than 2 months. Truly a dog shit game.

It's because the game has great TPS mechanics, movement abilities, melee moves and counters, and more that it never really teaches you, and after learning them they are super fun. It makes it hard to go back to any standard cover based third person shooter after you are used to the stuff you can do in RE6. That is where the Vanquish comparisons come from.

Xater

God damn it Dan. Don't carry shit around you don't know where to use. It's quite easy.

No, only those weirdos from the RE6 defense force like that game. I have always been a huge RE fan and RE6 is total garbage.

hamchan

Why? I haven't listened to this weeks show yet but it's always been obvious what he likes about the game and how disappointed he is in what it turned out to be. He's just more plain about it than Brad is.

Probably because he somewhat supported Destiny in the no.10 position for GOTY and didn't push it hard enough for Most Disappointing. It seems that his opinion of this the game has now worsened in this new year after revisiting Warframe, and now with his sudden realization that grinding is pointless when an expansion comes out so often that your loot is regularly made useless.

sjack

Banned
I wish they had given this quick look to somebody who actually cares and understands classic survival horror games (e.g. Brad or Vinny). I feel this quick look is going to cause Metro Quicklook levels of butthurt from people who care about those type of games.

Bacon

I wish they had given this quick look to somebody who actually cares and understands classic survival horror games (e.g. Brad or Vinny). I feel this quick look is going to cause Metro Quicklook levels of butthurt from people who care about those type of games.

I'm not sure anyone at giantbomb cares about or understands classic survival horror games.

Eh, I like that Dan and Drew did the QL. Most people who already hold a high reverence for the game know they'll like it, Dan and Drew can give the perspective of everyone else who may not have played it before and if they would like it in a modern gameplay context.

KingKong

Having a tiny inventory that makes you store crap when you dont know how much space you'll need is honestly just insane especially because there's no way to drop items outside of the boxes

Having a tiny inventory that makes you store crap when you dont know how much space you'll need is honestly just insane especially because there's no way to drop items outside of the boxes

you always assume you need as much space available as possible. So you carry shit like your weapons, ammo, and a healing item or two and that's it.

If you're walking around with ink ribbons with no intention to save in the very near future or a crank and don't know where you might need to use it, you store that crap until you need it. That's where the survival part of survival horror comes from, managing the shit you have so you're best prepared for whatever is coming at you.

it's not that hard, really.

Dan Rykert : 'I'm not patient enough and can't be bothered to use my brain to enjoy classic survival horror'.

Game design has changed since the game released, I don't think you can really fault someone for not enjoying it. I'm not patient enough to play it either. Kirby's Dream Land is one of my favorite games, but I wouldn't hold it against someone if they played it and didn't like it, it definitely doesn't feel as tight as today's platformers and it feels like an older game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
alone in the dark the new nightmare was one of the most tense games I ever played when I was younger due to its similar save system.

KingKong

you always assume you need as much space available as possible. So you carry shit like your weapons, ammo, and a healing item or two and that's it.

If you're walking around with ink ribbons with no intention to save in the very near future or a crank and don't know where you might need to use it, you store that crap until you need it. That's where the survival part of survival horror comes from, managing the shit you have so you're best prepared for whatever is coming at you.

it's not that hard, really.

Come on, the survival boils down to running back to the save room to free up space. Theres no reason not to let people drop items anywhere

i just really dont like complaining in general

so if its i dont like these parts of this game and heres why thats fine i actually like that

if its i dont like x

and thats all the criticism there is to it

thats just really annoying and i think dan falls into that way too often and it really puts me off on him

its part of the larger be proud of your ignorance (instead of try to fix it) streak that is making me slowly come to groan whenever i see dan in the info box for a new ql

i mean i get it its his joke and whatever but its not really funny or endearing in any way

Come on, the survival boils down to running back to the save room to free up space. Theres no reason not to let people drop items anywhere

They added that to Resident Evil 0, so the series does eventually move on from that. But the game does give you the option of saying Yes, let me pick up this item or No, i do not wish to pick up an item. So if you're going to have too much ammo or inexplicably have like 9 ink ribbons with you you don't have to pick up another one.

If you know where the item boxes are and are capable of managing your pockets like a normal human being, this shouldn't be too difficult. I'd kinda understand if someone whined about tank controls and how it seems so weird to use them if you didn't grow up with these games, sure, but the item management in RE1 wasn't ever a major issue.

If you want an item management nightmare, just play RE4. Playing tetris with your items in that game was such a chore.

Zebetite

Banned

Running back to the Save Rooms means you constantly need to take specific routes through the mansion, which means that any zombies you've left alive within those routes because of your limited ammo continue to be a threat. It necessitates planning to take the safest route back to a save room (or any other area you need to backtrack to) so that you aren't risking getting bit by a zombie you don't have the supplies to kill. Additionally, this version of Resident Evil's most-renowned feature, Crimson Heads, are deliberately designed to make backtracking more tense and frightening, because they will become active in rooms you'd previously considered "safe," and catch you off-guard. A Resident Evil in which you don't have to make several rounds of the mansion as safely and efficiently as possible because you can drop items anywhere and save anywhere or whatever dumb action game bullshit people want shoehorned into the game completely invalidates these two key, core concepts of the game's design.

If someone doesn't like Resident Evil, that's their prerogative, but they shouldn't be running around on the internet making all sorts of asinine suggestions that betray a fundamental misunderstanding of the game's design, pacing and balance to suit their own tastes. Just be comfortable not-liking this thing that other people like for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom