• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Tank controls and inventory management are not "antiquated design". And if you want proof that the new controls break the game, look no further than Dan's zombie evasion spin-move at 11:50. Christ.

I'd say that tank controls are by and large antiqued design. Some people might still like it, but seeing how few games still use it, "antiqued" is the right word imo (that said, I'm sure "normal" controls breaks a game that's designed for tank controls, that seems pretty obvious). And yes, TB is now the de facto leader of GG in that he's the only high profile person still standing with them and he can fuck right off for it.

Volotaire

giphy.gif

That "breaking" of the game might be enough to get people like Dan to finish it with both characters. Meanwhile people who love the traditional controls can use them, instead.

Resident Evil was designed around those tank controls. Really everything about the game is designed around the way the player interacts with the environment. Changing something so essential as that just for the sake of pandering to people who can't wrap their head around it is betraying the game's spirit and the intent of the original designers.

Games don't have to be for everyone. It's okay for people to dislike something about a game and not play it. I wish more people would understand that.

Games don't have to be for everyone. It's okay for people to dislike something about a game and not play it. I wish more people would understand that.

Capcom is trying to sell a product, widening the potential audience with an optional feature harms absolutely no one. And there will be people who will play this game and enjoy it more because of that option.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Resident Evil was designed around those tank controls. Really everything about the game is designed around the way the player interacts with the environment. Changing something so essential as that just for the sake of pandering to people who can't wrap their head around it is betraying the game's spirit and the intent of the original designers.

Its an option. I dont get what the big deal is. I hated playing the original game due in part to those tank controls. The fact that they made an effort to try something new has me thinking about giving it another shot.

If its bending you out of shape thats your problem.

justjim89

It makes a game that plays like shit an option to not play like shit. How dare Capcom potentially want more people to invest in their product!

I say this as a guy that's beaten REmake. It does no harm.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I started playing hearthstone and it's pretty good but it only took 2 online games to run into someone taking foreeeever on their last turn that was clearly going to win them the game, while they kept repeating a bunch of speech bubbles at me. Like, well done you won but I kinda want to leave now.

It's just like fifa, only at least in fifa there's some back and forth with the vindictive celebration gloating

I used it to archive my GI articles, but I didn't know what it was supposed to be in the wider sense.

ah I see

He must have forgot all about his E3 "Butt Tumblr" adventure.

lol oh yeah, and that's a perfect answer to the question "what is tumblr" too

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit I just unlocked the 4th (I think?) upgrade in Talos Principle
(the record/play machine)

OMG, MIND BLOWN!

Also, I'm so glad that I was never spoiled the existance of that item (or any other future upgrades even) before unlocking them.

erawsd

CDPR is in SF today, I wonder if anyone from the crew will go hands on with Witcher 3. Too bad Vinny will miss out, he seemed pretty excited for it in the GOTY podcast. JEff kinda shat on it.

daydream

Banned
Patrick left Giant Bomb to write tips for playing a decade old game?

It's been the latest hotness for awhile now. I don't even know who these kinds of articles are for. Really low form of writing but then again, published on Kotaku.

I was happy to see a new Spookin', at least. Video is where Patrick has always shone.

sjack

Banned
I'd probably just store it until you can fuse a King Frost or something. he's not really great as far as your bufu options go

No, I meant how do I make Jack Frost my permanent in game waifu

EDIT: Serious question though, I got to Matador on Nocturne and got my ass properly kicked. Granted, I could probably take him down if I did a bit of grinding and fusing, but that boss encounter made me drop Nocturne.

Alfredo

The Resident Evil Quick Look was about what I expected, but it was Dan playing, so I can forgive his ignorance. :p

I was surprised to hear Drew actually drop some knowledge about only some of the backgrounds being remodeled. I was not expecting anyone at GB to know that. Good on 8-4.

As for the new controls, I'm fine with it, but it does make the game super easy. Couple that with the confusing difficulty options (Mountain Climbing is Normal, folks), I can see a lot of new players breezing through the game. Knife-only runs are probably going to be super easy with these controls.

I think tank controls go hand-in-hand with fixed camera angles. This may sound weird, but I think they're required to make the game control less awkwardly, especially when the camera angle changes. You can sort of see Dan struggle with that at one point.

But whatever. I started playing Resident Evil games with RE2 on the N64, which actually was the first and only game in the series to remove tank controls until RE6.

I honestly see new players being more frustrated with inventory management, backtracking, and being attacked by offscreen enemies.

Those glasses are my kind of dumb new technology, they look so cool and useless!

If Wired is to be believed, it actually sounds really impressive. http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

Just think, anywhere can be a DDR dance pad.

Couch B-Roll

Something to cheer us up, eh.

This is amazing. I dream of a day that east and west are permanently united. This is the last video Patrick will appear on the site in as an employee on the sad side

EDIT: Serious question though, I got to Matador on Nocturne and got my ass properly kicked. Granted, I could probably take him down if I did a bit of grinding and fusing, but that boss encounter made me drop Nocturne.

oh jeez I think it's just a combination of "over"levelling and spamming dodge/defense down spells at him. sucks either way

sjack

Banned
oh jeez I think it's just a combination of "over"levelling and spamming dodge/defense down spells at him. sucks either way

As somebody who's interested into getting into SMT outside of Persona, but is not interested in getting a 3DS solely for SMTIV, what would you recommend me? (Digital Devil Saga looks interesting, and I might give Nocturne another shot)

Bacon

Everyone knows Nocturne is countered by early counter jungling.

I just had a really weird moment where I thought I clicked on the league of legends thread in my subscriptions instead of this one. It felt like when you think you are about to take a drink of water but it's actually milk.

As somebody who's interested into getting into SMT outside of Persona, but is not interested in getting a 3DS solely for SMTIV, what would you recommend me? (Digital Devil Saga looks interesting, and I might give Nocturne another shot)

Nocturne and the DDS games are my easy recommendations and they're cheap and downloadable for ps3 now. if you have a DS, Strange Journey is kind of a weird but cool game.

I've never really liked the Devil Summoner games. I think it's more the tone and setting than anything.

but yeah. DDS. good stuff.

You didn't ask me but here you go anyway:

Give Nocturne another shot. Yes, the Matador is a roadblock at first but it's really just a tutorial to learn to use defensive/status effect magic since it's absolutely required more and more the further you progress in the game. Once you get past that hurdle, Nocturne is one of the most rewarding, engrossing and fantastic JRPGs you'll find.

DDS is pretty good too. The second PS2 Devil Summoner is a solid Tales-esque action RPG (as in the battles are on a separate screen instead of seamless like a lot of action RPGs) and personally I love the setting. Devil Survivor is a pretty fun SRPG/sort of visual novel (you're not moving around a map between battles, you just choose areas from a menu and the story progresses through lots of dialogue) for DS. You can't go wrong with any of those, but Nocturne is far and away the best the series has to offer outside of Persona games.

Zaph

Devil Survivor all day everyday. My DS has only 3 games in rotation for the last few years. Devil Survivor, Tetris and Picross 3D. It's all you need.

Got one of those shiny new ones on pre order tho. Suppose I might expand my horizons
but probably just play Overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom