• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
why is vinny playing a shooter on pc with a controller?

Because a controller is objectively better at controlling games than a keyboard, and the accuracy of a mouse doesn't outweigh that fact because the game design doesn't require or truly reward that level of accuracy.

Myggen

so this PAX stream, is Jeff the only streaming, it's on the site Jeff's on a PAX Panel.

Yeah, it's Jeff's panel with Samantha Kalman and Pat Baer. The GB panel tonight isn't in a room with streaming, so we'll have to wait for the archive on that one. Jeff's solo Q&A panel isn't streamed either, and will probably not be archived.

Grey Goo looks dang cool

Yeah, I'm gonna buy that game ASAP. The Goo faction looks cool as hell, I love that concept.

Because a controller is objectively better at controlling games than a keyboard, and the accuracy of a mouse doesn't outweigh that fact because the game design doesn't require or truly reward that level of accuracy.

Objectively better? I just can't imagine playing this with a controller. Really the only benefit I could think of would be for steering vehicles, but I don't think there's much in the way of analogue controls there anyway.

Who wa heee ha?

Where to begin.
How about they're both great and let's leave it there.

oh please god let's not argue the merits of KB&M vs a controller. Leave that shit for steam discussion boards, it's a neverending back and forth that will only end with bloodshed.

oh please god let's not argue the merits of KB&M vs a controller. Leave that shit for steam discussion boards, it's a neverending back and forth that will only end with bloodshed.

Yeah I mean to each his or her own. I won't say that controllers are awful or anything. I went out of my way to make sure I can hook up bluetooth controllers and my wireless 360 controller for certain games. I just found it weird that seemingly every GB editor prefers controllers for every supported PC game. To me, the best controls for any particular game are a unique situation.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah I mean to each his or her own. I won't say that controllers are awful or anything. I went out of my way to make sure I can hook up bluetooth controllers and my wireless 360 controller for certain games. I just found it weird that seemingly every GB editor prefers controllers for every supported PC game. To me, the best controls for any particular game are a unique situation.

I agree. The best controls are just never the controls that involve a keyboard. Sometimes they're the best option because the mouse precision helps the game significantly and it gets hamstrung by the assumption of a keyboard just going with a mouse because that's how they make spreadsheets, but the keyboard is always, 100% of the time, the weak link and the worst part about playing PC-centric games.

A KEYBOARD WAS MADE FOR TYPING. NOT GAMING

djgtu52.gif

patapuf

I agree. The best controls are just never the controls that involve a keyboard. Sometimes they're the best option because the mouse precision helps the game significantly and it gets hamstrung by the assumption of a keyboard just going with a mouse because that's how they make spreadsheets, but the keyboard is always, 100% of the time, the weak link and the worst part about playing PC-centric games.

Nah, RPG's, strategy games, sims and just games in general that need managing of more than 10 control inputs/and or multiple units are vastly better on a keyboard.

Tan

the 404 panel brought us that bizarre squirrel hunting cooking video so as long as we get one of those go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom