• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Yep. All but one or two seem like nothing more than cheap cash grabs trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Indeed, and the genre is insanely popular on Steam. At least for now, I can see the genre crashing any minute now because of all of these broken early access games that never get out of early access.

Have any of them ever actually "gotten it right?" The closest I can think of is Don't Starve. Almost all of them are either fundamentally flawed (sorry) or never actually achieve their target.

Dead Island PC ran like CRAAAAAP for me when it came out. But sure, call your company "Techland"

Didn't they put up a dev version of the PC release on steam ? That was hilarious it reminded up the Bully 360 release.

it ran like crap for everyone

that was part of the fun

it was like a real c movie with the reel breaking every 30 mins

my favorite bug was that when I was playing co-op with my buddy, something went wrong and enemies started having millions of dollars on them, but only when I killed them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Techland is one of the most European game developer names I've heard since Codemasters.

Remember when the PC port just had a keyboard button that turned on 'noclip'?

frostyxc

I definitely agree that Resident Evil 4's inventory system is much better than the original's, it's just frustrating to see Dan complain about RE1's system when his problems are so easily avoidable, and people told him how to avoid it but he continues to put ink ribbons in his inventory.

Frustrating is getting stuck in traffic. Frustrating is getting your hand stuck in a used panties vending machine slot. Frustrating is showing up at your parole hearing without pants on (but still sporting your ill Air Jordans).

What you are bemoaning is a difference in opinion. If that frustrates you... maybe playing a word processor is more your speed. Break out the Kaypro and relax.

hamchan

Indeed, and the genre is insanely popular on Steam. At least for now, I can see the genre crashing any minute now because of all of these broken early access games that never get out of early access.

It's crazy that even a company like Sony is putting out a broken early access survival game. They should be the ones to put out a big budget decently polished title at least. It feels like the whole genre is just shit.

my favorite bug was that when I was playing co-op with my buddy, something went wrong and enemies started having millions of dollars on them, but only when I killed them.

my co op friend could walk through walls after some mission failed to start and then it crashed when we occupied the same space

also at some point there was a fountain of infinite zombies created out the sky above the city

my co op friend could walk through walls after some mission failed to start and then it crashed when we occupied the same space

also at some point there was a fountain of infinite zombies created out the sky above the city

so in a roundabout way we're agreeing that by being a "better" game, Dying Light is actually worse? I can live with that.

I am this close to shipping Dan some of this
http://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/rasnme.html

I've eaten rattlesnake. It was tough and not particularly flavorful.

I love EU devs. The sacred 3 control Manual was this

wp_0001535zy6v.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's crazy that even a company like Sony is putting out a broken early access survival game. They should be the ones to put out a big budget decently polished title at least. It feels like the whole genre is just shit.

It's SOE though. Got a history of putting out buggy, broken pieces of shit.
The_Matrix_Online_Coverart.png

star_wars_galaxies_box_art.jpg

Vanguard_Saga_of_Heroes.jpg

rip tonka truck

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, there are times as a parent you're just trying to get your kid to eat anything so you end up in a Mac and cheese week. Or a chicken nugget week. For it to occur past the kid being more than like 8 years old is...odd. On all accounts.
To be contrarian, I sub to both feeds because stuff like the Powerbombcast doesn't have it's own feed, and it gets to be annoying when I have to download the Bombcast twice.

Liamc723

Frustrating is getting stuck in traffic. Frustrating is getting your hand stuck in a used panties vending machine slot. Frustrating is showing up at your parole hearing without pants on (but still sporting your ill Air Jordans).

What you are bemoaning is a difference in opinion. If that frustrates you... maybe playing a word processor is more your speed. Break out the Kaypro and relax.

It's not a difference in opinion, Dan is simply wrong. Comments on the RE HD Quick Look told him how to better manage his inventory but he didn't listen and he continues to carry an ink ribbon so he can save. His dismissal of the advice he's been given is what I find frustrating.

TraBuch

Banned
They're back from PAX with a vengeance. I think this is actually the one feature I wouldn't want to see Dan in. You know he'd be doing nothing but shitting on it the entire time, I think it's more fun to watch when the people playing are really into it, like Vinny.

Tan

In the span of 2 minutes Dan claims he could adapt and survive alone on an island and then say he'd freak out if he were near a crab.

Myggen

Non-premium scrubs am cry, it seems the balance between free shows and premium shows has been incredibly skewed as of late, not that I'm complaining.

It's been like that for a couple of years. Aside from TNT, most of the live stuff has been premium. I'm guessing they're hoping to add more free stuff when GBE is up and running.

Oh man oh man the Pathfinder stuff is some of my favourite content on the site, so I'm really looking forward to this next unplugged.

I actually hope Dan joins in and is sold on D&D in the course of the feature - that way we'll have someone on staff pushing for a serial campaign rather than a one-off thing.

So Mario Party, Dan's Dad on UPF and then tabletop role-playing next week?

They came out of PAX swinging.

Edit: Dave and/or Ian would be great for Unplugged, not sure if Vinny over Skype would work too well though.

the worst part about MGS3 Scanlon is going to be the hour (hour plus?) or so of straight cutscenes that start the game. It's gonna be such a pain to get going.

TraBuch

Banned
Rorie, Dave, Ian, Drew, Danny, Mary.

Do it. Especially Ian and Rorie. We need more passive-aggressive arguments between the two.

Hearing Dan complaining about the ink ribbon thing and Brad complain about some of Majoras mechanics makes me realize that these are the exact reasons games are the way they are today.

Games (at least AAA games) coming out these days are streamlined to hell, which in my opinion, does not make a better game.

It's why a large number of us flock to games like the Souls franchise.

In my opinion, that inventory mechanic, along with a number of other design choice in Resident Evil, are what made that game so fucking good. Those game mechanics made Resident Evil have that special feel it has and made the game that much more tense.

Imagine just having all your weapons and items on hand the whole time, with no consequence. Sure, it would be streamlined for the user and make it that much more easier but that does not equal a better a game.

It wasn't just an arbitrary gameplay mechanic, like let's say...scrounging around every corner of the world in Dying Light for random materials that are just fucking everywhere. It adds no depth to the gameplay, it's just busy work. You have said materials and you literally just open up the blueprint menu and press A to make whatever it is you needed. It's just a false sense of depth that they're trying to give the player.

But I guess opinions and such.

Rant over.

Love you, Dan and Brad!

Does anyone want to do thread #12? Truth be told: I'm not really feeling it.

I've done this since like thread 6 or something and it's probably time to give someone else a go. Judging by the Bombcast threads, you lot are way more talented/versatile than me anyway.

Brashnir

Hearing Dan complaining about the ink ribbon thing and Brad complain about some of Majoras mechanics makes me realize that these are the exact reasons games are the way they are today.

Games (at least AAA games) coming out these days are streamlined to hell, which in my opinion, does not make a better game.

It's why a large number of us flock to games like the Souls franchise.

In my opinion, that inventory mechanic, along with a number of other design choice in Resident Evil, are what made that game so fucking good. Those game mechanics made Resident Evil have that special feel it has and made the game that much more tense.

Imagine just having all your weapons and items on hand the whole time, with no consequence. Sure, it would be streamlined for the user and make it that much more easier but that does not equal a better a game.

It wasn't just an arbitrary gameplay mechanic, like let's say...scrounging around every corner of the world in Dying Light for random materials that are just fucking everywhere. It adds no depth to the gameplay, it's just busy work. You have said materials and you literally just open up the blueprint menu and press A to make whatever it is you needed. It's just a false sense of depth that they're trying to give the player.

But I guess opinions and such.

Rant over.

Love you, Dan and Brad!

Mainstream games tend to take out anything that makes the player feel stressed, and replace it with things that make the player feel good. The mass market doesn't want those mechanics, even if they're perfectly valid design choices.

Mainstream games tend to take out anything that makes the player feel stressed, and replace it with things that make the player feel good. The mass market doesn't want those mechanics, even if they're perfectly valid design choices.

Now explain Dota 2 being the most popular game on steam

popo

I love Rorie but he is an awful DM.

Wizard : "Can I cast Magic Missile at the Dragon?"

Rorie ; "I don't know, I will look it up". "I can't find anything so go ahead!"

Wizard : "Or I guess I could just Melee".

Rorie : "I would just hit him with your club for 2D4 damage". "Only if you want". "Do what you like!"

I love Rorie but he is an awful DM.

Wizard : "Can I cast Magic Missile at the Dragon?"

Rorie ; "I don't know, I will look it up". "I can't find anything so go ahead!"

Wizard : "Or I guess I could just Melee".

Rorie : "I would just hit him with your club for 2D4 damage". "Only if you want". "Do what you like!"

we're going to miss the passive aggressive back and forths between rorie and ian. those were pretty fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom