• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

V69CcQo.gif

t1422484200z4.png

Tucah

you speak so well
I might have to rewatch MPP2 today to feed into my MPP3 hype. Sorry Grim Fandango, you'll have to wait a little while.

Liamc723

Dan STILL hasn't learned from his ridiculous comments on Resident Evil's inventory.

You never need to carry ink ribbons, typewriters are ALWAYS next to an inventory box.

And he doesn't understand how anyone can finish the game as Chris? Jesus christ, how stupid.

Dan STILL hasn't learned from his ridiculous comments on Resident Evil's inventory.

You never need to carry ink ribbons, typewriters are ALWAYS next to an inventory box.

And he doesn't understand how anyone can finish the game as Chris? Jesus christ, how stupid.
A) not the way to approach someone you perceive to be misunderstanding something
B) he explained that he doesn't like the inventory limitations regardless of the purpose of it
18) to further your point even more so, you'll almost always find an ink ribbon whenever you approach a new typewriter, negating the reason to ever carry one with you.

Liamc723

A) not the way to approach someone you perceive to be misunderstanding something
B) he explained that he doesn't like the inventory limitations regardless of the purpose of it
18) to further your point even more so, you'll almost always find an ink ribbon whenever you approach a new typewriter, negating the reason to ever carry one with you.

It's hardly even much of a limitation though if you manage your inventory correctly, deposit items you don't need into the item box and leave space free with the expectation that you'll find something new.

I agree that the ink ribbon stuff is easily avoidable, though it's still a nuisance to have to go to the box to swap out for a ribbon, go to the typewriter, save, and then go back to the box to swap back. It's an archaic mechanic that thankfully RE4 removed. I love what I played of REmake back in the GCN days and Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64, but RE4 is significantly better for a variety of reasons. With that said, I'd love if they could make a Resident Evil that played like RE4 while still keeping the tension/horror of its predecessors.

Liamc723

I agree that the ink ribbon stuff is easily avoidable, though it's still a nuisance to have to go to the box to swap out for a ribbon, go to the typewriter, save, and then go back to the box to swap back. It's an archaic mechanic that thankfully RE4 removed. I love what I played of REmake back in the GCN days and Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64, but RE4 is significantly better for a variety of reasons. With that said, I'd love if they could make a Resident Evil that played like RE4 while still keeping the tension/horror of its predecessors.

I definitely agree that Resident Evil 4's inventory system is much better than the original's, it's just frustrating to see Dan complain about RE1's system when his problems are so easily avoidable, and people told him how to avoid it but he continues to put ink ribbons in his inventory.

popo

Grow up. :D

demidar

I'm not sure if that's possible, given how most people know how to demolish enemies in RE4. Free aiming is super duper powerful combined with melee attacks.

Maybe if they literally only gave you 30 bullets throughout the entire game lol

I'm not sure if that's possible, given how most people know how to demolish enemies in RE4. Free aiming is super duper powerful combined with melee attacks.

Maybe if they literally only gave you 30 bullets throughout the entire game lol

For me, the best parts of the originals were the creepy settings, the powerful enemies that you were usually best avoiding rather than trying to fight, and the puzzles. My biggest complaint about RE4 would be that they REALLY dumbed down the puzzles to the point that 95% of them were essentially "find X amount of pieces for this key to open the next door, which will then automatically be selected in the appropriate spot." Just watching the RE Remastered QL made me nostalgic for the days when we had to find a board, put it on the map, light the fire to burn the imprint of the map onto the board, and take it back. It was a clever puzzle that made sense.

I think free aiming is fine, though melee attacks should probably go back to the way they used to be when you weren't some super human that could endlessly suplex zombies. Basically make enemies stronger and the player weaker. I know in today's AAA environment where every player is ridiculously super-human, it probably won't happen, but that's where I'd want the series to go.

So, is the framerate in the Dying Light ql representative of the actual game on ps4?

Just quoting this again if you are still wondering

Locked framerate on the PS4 version Via Digital foundry If you noticed judder that was the game going above the locked framerate in spots.

Rapstah

Just quoting this again if you are still wondering

Locked framerate on the PS4 version Via Digital foundry If you noticed judder that was the game going above the locked framerate in spots.

How is the framerate locked if the game sometimes goes above the locked framerate?

How is the framerate locked if the game sometimes goes above the locked framerate?

Reminds me of Ghosts on PS4 granted that took a big dive but the judder was caused trying to go over the capped 60fps

here is what DF say

There are also a select few instances on PS4 where the game jumps above 30fps for a brief moment while looking in a specific direction. It's not clear what is happening during these sections or why it's occurring, but it adds a bit of judder to the scene when it manifests. It's rare enough not to become a real issue but it is curious nonetheless. Still, by and large, the PS4 delivers a solid enough 30fps experience.

They couldn't get the PC impressions but have this to say

We'll also be taking a look at the PC version of the game, which offers us the ability to scale well beyond the engine's console implementation. First impressions suggest a demanding title that seems to be CPU-limited, making it rather difficult to hit 60fps without dropping the distance slider down a great deal, but we'll have the full story later this week.

all these open world survival early access games look exactly the same and exactly as unfun

Have any of them ever actually "gotten it right?" The closest I can think of is Don't Starve. Almost all of them are either fundamentally flawed (sorry) or never actually achieve their target.

They couldn't get the PC impressions but have this to say

Dead Island PC ran like CRAAAAAP for me when it came out. But sure, call your company "Techland"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom