• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mikǝ;140353723 said:
Well, try to take it a little easy today. I'm sure it'll get fixed soon, try not to take things so personally. I'm sure those guys deal with hundreds of spam bots every day and sometimes innocent people get caught in the net, but its nothing that you should let ruin your day. Rorie and most of the mods are pretty good people, you know. You should give them a chance to help you.

Thank you and thanks to everyone for your help.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So, Sphere...

Spoilers:
Anyone else get Persona 4 vibes when Norman started talking about the Shadow self and Henry ignoring it and refusing to believe that side of him existed?

Yeah.
The stuff that happens in the Persona (game) world is a kind of literal manifestation of Jungian psychology, so you're right to make the connection.

popo

If that quoted text is all you posted then it was not even close to ban worthy. Hopefully Rorie will take a look at it for you.

Some tips though about trying to get it sorted.

Being a Premium Member does not entitle you to a free pass.

The mods are not "gaming journalists" and have been a little OTT of late.

Your first response was to demand Jeff delete your account and start yelling about Free Speech? Not the most diplomatic way for trying to get a resolution.

You can still watch or download content. Make a separate account if you really want to comment on the site - no real loss though.

Mikǝ

Neo Member
If that quoted text is all you posted then it was not even close to ban worthy. Hopefully Rorie will take a look at it for you.

Some tips though about trying to get it sorted.

Being a Premium Member does not entitle you to a free pass.

The mods are not "gaming journalists" and have been a little OTT of late.

Your first response was to demand Jeff delete your account and start yelling about Free Speech? Not the most diplomatic way for trying to get a resolution.

You can still watch or download content. Make a separate account if you really want to comment on the site - no real loss though.

Did you get banned or something?

xanavi

That post has a lot of words in it but it doesn't actually say anything. It's like a more spiritual lorem ipsum and I'm surprised it didn't end in link to a deal on herbal pills.

Sweep

Neo Member
Hi, I'm one of the mods over at Giant Bomb.

Northeastmonk, we reviewed your account and it looks like you got caught up in the latest batch of spambot bans. As people have correctly assumed here, a low post-count and default avatar is in line with the appearance of these spammers, which was probably what caused the confusion. For those that were wondering, spammers with both gold and silver subscriptions are commonplace. We have no idea why. *shrug*

Anyway, we've unbanned your account and you are welcome to post again :)

If anyone else experiences similar issues then we have a mod email account where queries can be sent and we'll try to get back to you as soon as we can. Typically we don't deal with these issues externally like this, so that's your best bet. More information is available in our community rules.

Thanks, GLHB

popo

I bet EA are glad Battlefield Hardline got delayed.

game

Hardline-Header.jpg

not a game

_79252976_police.jpg

Mikǝ;140358442 said:
Did you get banned or something?

Nope, common sense advise was for the dude that was. I rarely ever post on GB so would have no cause to be banned. I don't think I have ever been banned for a forum, which I admit is surprising. Usenet never was modded though so that would explain a lot.

Nice one Sweep. GB mods have a hell of a jop, don't envy you at all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Employing thoughts and ideas in some ordinary manner is sometimes our only way of fighting back or reaching to others inside a forum. This quote sums it all up.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

-William Shakespeare

Update: I am gracious and uplifted to announce that I am no longer banned from GiantBomb.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you are a spambot, but you just don't know it yet? Some kind of amazing AI running rampant in a way we never anticipated. I'm definitely not convinced.
Like those androids in the story of Binary Domain! What a great game.

daydream

Banned

Northeastmonk, we reviewed your account and it looks like you got caught up in the latest batch of spambot bans. As people have correctly assumed here, a low post-count and default avatar is in line with the appearance of these spammers, which was probably what caused the confusion. For those that were wondering, spammers with both gold and silver subscriptions are commonplace. We have no idea why. *shrug*

If anyone else experiences similar issues then we have a mod email account where queries can be sent and we'll try to get back to you as soon as we can. Typically we don't deal with these issues externally like this, so that's your best bet. More information is available in our community rules.

Thanks, GLHB

That's funny about the spammers. Guess even bots need some entertainment in their life, heh. Nice job, Sweep!

So what the hell is the problem Drew is having with the triggers in MGS? Is their controller or the game broken? Or Drew?

I don't know. Drew can do with a few post release patches to fix those bugs.

speaking of bans, that "black people in nintendo games" thread generated two on the first page.

always a good time, those threads.

Tell me about it. I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

popo

That's funny about the spammers. Guess even bots need some entertainment in their life, heh. Nice job, Sweep!

Spambots are gaining self awareness and even they realise $30 subs are a steal. Skynet never started the war on humans as it was too busy watching Mario Party Party.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Employing thoughts and ideas in some ordinary manner is sometimes our only way of fighting back or reaching to others inside a forum. This quote sums it all up.

Update: I am gracious and uplifted to announce that I am no longer banned from GiantBomb.

I have no idea what that has to do with what I posted but I'm glad for you that your problem got resolved.

For many years pleasantry has become an enjoyment to life. It has been something we all take for granted. Before I get off tonight I am reminded of every time I've visited a correctional center, a homeless shelter, a regional house, and a court house building. All of these places have men and women fighting to make up for their mistakes. Some of them are in there for crimes that they didn't commit and some are gone from this world because they did not meet the right form of justice. It's strange how we can all exist on this earth, but we are so divided by what happens during our day to day life. Is there a corrupt system or do we blame ourselves? I feel like people who know the right thing; will do the right thing when the time comes. This should help us sleep better at night, but it doesn't. When I confront a problem in life, I don't look on it with my prejudice, nor do I wonder if this person deserves a punishment for being who they are. I simply back away and go straight to the real situation. For the most part, I'm not threatened on a day by day basis. I have assumed things in my life and I've had my own actions to look back on, but I am a better person today because I chose to think of the better person inside each and everyone of us. I hope we all can somehow see a greater person in those around us. We leave behind life as we know it when we make decisions that we might not understand, so take a minute or as much time as you need to walk through each cornerstone in life. Breathe on every petal and enjoy the wonderful life we can make. Start making your life better today. Push through fear, depression, pain, hurtfulness, or whatever you hate about life and make something from it. We are capable of changing our lives every single day.

Jesus Malik, I already told you, I don't want your blessing.

Megasoum

Banned
Whatever if the ban was justified or not, a good rule of thumb is to completely avoid the GB forum and comments. Their community and mods are fucking terrible.

Mikǝ

Neo Member
Whatever if the ban was justified or not, a good rule of thumb is to completely avoid the GB forum and comments. Their community and mods are fucking terrible.

Sounds like someone who is butthurt about being banned. I've never had a problem with any of the mods there.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I bet EA are glad Battlefield Hardline got delayed.

game

Hardline-Header.jpg

not a game

_79252976_police.jpg

Man i can't wait to roleplay as one of the cops in Hardline, i'll be sure to follow proper procedure when arresting the criminals and by proper procedure i mean shooting everyone in the fucking face. After all when i'm inside the game i am always fearful for my life :p

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I would disagree and argue that they are better than most gaming sites. Definitely more positive.

demidar

Man i can't wait to roleplay as one of the cops in Hardline, i'll be sure to follow proper procedure when arresting the criminals and by proper procedure i mean shooting everyone in the fucking face. After all when i'm inside the game i am always fearful for my life :p

There are so many tasteless jokes that can made
by people who have a death wish

Megasoum

Banned
Mikǝ;140363122 said:
Sounds like someone who is butthurt about being banned. I've never had a problem with any of the mods there.

Never been banned on GB.

Everytime I decide to give them another chance and check the forums all I see are mods on powertrip.

after each mission, it will ask you to describe the conflict. you're encouraged to use terms like "demon" and "Hulk Hogan"

You'll be able to afford a better lawyer at the end of each mission depending on the revenue of the fundraising t-shirt being sold online.

I never expected it to get much of a push but at this point I bet BF Hardline will get the Motorstorm Apocalypse treatment when its released.

It will get pushed out the door with little to no marketing in the mainstream and quietly forgotten about.

Battlefront hype will make people forget it exists anyway.

Mikǝ

Neo Member
Never been banned on GB.

Everytime I decide to give them another chance and check the forums all I see are mods on powertrip.

Never noticed that myself. Recent example of power tripping? I see you were posting there this week, or at least someone with the same account name as you.

Jeff Gerstmann is losing the Trending Gamer award, what the hell are you guys doing?
If he lost the award, then Total Biscuit'd be taking over the bombcast.

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

It would be a huge embarrassment if a GG guy won this. Sadly opposition to GG don't have a single candidate to vote for. Telling everybody against GG to vote for Jeff is kind of disingenuous since there are other viable candidates.

Mikǝ;140365147 said:
TotalBiscuit posted on the GB forums that people should vote for Jeff.

Maybe we should ask him to ask his Twitter followers to do it. Posting on the GB forums to tell people to vote for Jeff limits the audience of who sees it.

sub_o

I truly have no idea about the rest of the people. All I know is that Jeff is the realest, because he uses his real name, just like he's straight outta Compton.

How do you even file your tax without your real name?

sub_o

No I do not!

I don't get why I should care about someone's random thoughts. True, some professionals can make it amusing, but 99% of them are trash. The good ones get posted elsewhere anyway.

That's supposed to be a joke that Jeff made in one of the podcast. You're taking it too seriously.

Then why are you on a forum?

For some reason it's different to me. Less humanized I guess? Less posts about someone's lunch?

Edit: It probably also has to do with the fact that forums tend to have directed discussion.

That's supposed to be a joke that Jeff made in one of the podcast. You're taking it too seriously.

Oh, sorry, I don't remember the jokes week to week with all the other stuff I consume.

I really don't care what other people do, but tweeting/facebooking is just silly to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom