• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
The eulogy podcast to Ryan Davis was great to listen to again. It was so heartwarming and just so odd that moving foward he won't be a part of it.

ANd hte podcast following it is great, Vinny and Drew really bring the energy up to not make it so somber. Drew hass really come a long way in becoming a personality in the podcast and on liveshows. He has been doinh a great job stepping up his game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man I just signed up for Giantbomb's premium account and they banned me. I make a post in Off-topic without cursing or alluding to anything and I get up this morning; banned.

What gives? Nothing says why I was banned. I feel like never going back to their site and never listening to their podcast ever again. People curse, talk about M rated material, and what's going on.. and I get banned on the spot.

I've said worse on here and had more rights to my speech. I can't see that that $30 membership was worth anything if that's what happens. NeoGAF is free and I have more freedoms to talk.

I didn't use a curse word and I get my post deleted because I talk about "treating people better". Like that is controversial. That's in every day life. That's so messed up. A high school student with a FaceBook page could say more and get more credit. Now I wish I hadn't of paid for anything on there.

Why is journalism or game websites so protective? It's anything under the sun except what they say. I deleted all my pics on there and changed my name. I don't need to be known on there with a banned status with my personal info. That's not fun.

It's all fun and games until someone gets banned. Now I don't even want to listen to their podcast at all.

daydream

Banned
Man I just signed up for Giantbomb's premium account and they banned me. I make a post in Off-topic without cursing or alluding to anything and I get up this morning; banned.

What gives? Nothing says why I was banned. I feel like never going back to their site and never listening to their podcast ever again. People curse, talk about M rated material, and what's going on.. and I get banned on the spot.

I've said worse on here and had more rights to my speech. I can't see that that $30 membership was worth anything if that's what happens. NeoGAF is free and I have more freedoms to talk.

I didn't use a curse word and I get my post deleted because I talk about "treating people better". Like that is controversial. That's in every day life. That's so messed up. A high school student with a FaceBook page could say more and get more credit. Now I wish I hadn't of paid for anything on there.

Why is journalism or game websites so protective? It's anything under the sun except what they say.

The hell did you post? Try and message Rorie if you think it was a mistake on the mod's part.

Zaph

Why is journalism or game websites so protective? It's anything under the sun except what they say.

Was it anything to do with GG, "ethics" or women in tech/gaming? I believe they currently have a zero tolerance policy on that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Was it anything to do with GG, "ethics" or women in tech/gaming? I believe they currently have a zero tolerance policy on that.

Probably but this is worse than high school or college. I got freedom of speech there.

I could go on the street and have these conversations.

I was talking about ethics, but man this is like a playground at middle school. What's the point? I'm banned, no fun anymore.

Who gets banned for that and at my age that doesn't really do anything. I like using my freedom of speech and NeoGAF has more of it.

FluxWaveZ

It's all fun and games until someone gets banned. Now I don't even want to listen to their podcast at all.

Hehe, is this yours?
For many years pleasantry has become an enjoyment to life. It has been something we all take for granted. Before I get off tonight I am reminded of every time I've visited a correctional center, a homeless shelter, a regional house, and a court house building. All of these places have men and women fighting to make up for their mistakes. Some of them are in there for crimes that they didn't commit and some are gone from this world because they did not meet the right form of justice. It's strange how we can all exist on this earth, but we are so divided by what happens during our day to day life. Is there a corrupt system or do we blame ourselves? I feel like people who know the right thing; will do the right thing when the time comes. This should help us sleep better at night, but it doesn't. When I confront a problem in life, I don't look on it with my prejudice, nor do I wonder if this person deserves a punishment for being who they are. I simply back away and go straight to the real situation. For the most part, I'm not threatened on a day by day basis. I have assumed things in my life and I've had my own actions to look back on, but I am a better person today because I chose to think of the better person inside each and everyone of us. I hope we all can somehow see a greater person in those around us. We leave behind life as we know it when we make decisions that we might not understand, so take a minute or as much time as you need to walk through each cornerstone in life. Breathe on every petal and enjoy the wonderful life we can make. Start making your life better today. Push through fear, depression, pain, hurtfulness, or whatever you hate about life and make something from it. We are capable of changing our lives every single day.
From someone with 9 posts and a default avatar, whatever the heck it is you were posting probably got you mistaken for a spambot and swiftly banned as a result. Doesn't seem justified, if that was it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hehe, is this yours?

From someone with 9 posts and a default avatar, whatever the heck it is you were posting probably got you mistaken for a spambot and swiftly banned as a result. Doesn't seem justified, if that was it.

Yeah that's me. It makes me feel like trash and a no body visiting their site now.

I felt like posting it. I got punished for it. This is like being in a line and forced to move back after you paid for something you thought was worth the asking price.

email support and ask for a refund if you're that incensed but I'm inclined to trust the GB mod team's decisions based off what I've seen myself.

edit: lol, nevermind, what the heck happened there

daydream

Banned
Yeah that's me. It makes me feel like trash and a no body visiting their site now.

I felt like posting it. I got punished for it. This is like being in a line and forced to move back after you paid for something you thought was worth the asking price.

That's.. certainly an interesting post but definitely not banworthy.

Mistakes happen. Message Rorie on the site.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
email support and ask for a refund if you're that incensed but I'm inclined to trust the GB mod team's decisions based off what I've seen myself.

edit: lol, nevermind, what the heck happened there

I think I will. I just Tweeted Jeff and asked to delete my account, but I don't get any responses on Twitter. It's a waste of my time.

You guys have replied to me more than I will ever get there, so it doesn't matter. The industry of news is fun and games until someone hates what the other guy is doing apparently.

It's one of those times when you just want to delete every single thing attached to your name.

Zaph

Dude, that post read like something google translate would spit out.

Sorry in advance if English is your second language.

I think I will. I just Tweeted Jeff and asked to delete my account, but I don't get any responses on Twitter. It's a waste of my time.

You guys have replied to me more than I will ever get there, so it doesn't matter. The industry of news is fun and games until someone hates what the other guy is doing apparently.

It's one of those times when you just want to delete every single thing attached to your name.

Keep in mind it's 8AM for Jeff and he doesn't handle the stuff like this, Rorie does. Message Rorie on the site or email him and he'll get back to you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dude, that post read like something google translate would spit out.

Sorry in advance if English is your second language.

Thanks everyone. It really means *A LOT* seriously. I was working on how I typed because some people here thought my posts were crazy.

Was it about Ferguson? That you were talking about?
I didn't say Ferguson.

It was about everything. You can take a healthcare course and read about treating people better. I didn't do my homework on this GameGate stuff or ethics in general. I took 2 courses in ethics in college and the rest feels natural. It's a controlled discussion anymore.

Jeff's probably not going to even notice your tweet considering how much he gets. Messaging Rorie on the site is probably your best bet. Not sure what the email address is off the top of my head?

why would they ban an account which is subscribing...

haha they do it all the time. Paying them money doesn't give you license to be a jackass on their forums or comments, which is usually what leads to the bans.

Myggen

why would they ban an account which is subscribing...

I believe you're still able to watch videos if your Premium account has been banned, so of course they should ban people if it's ban worthy.

However, this seems like his post was mistaken for spam.

demidar

I find it hilarious that your words here betray your Giant Bomb post.

Also there is no freedom of speech on Gaf or Giant Bomb.

Chuck

Still without luck
I believe you're still able to watch videos if your Premium account has been banned, so of course they should ban people if it's ban worthy.

However, this seems like his post was mistaken for spam.

That's what I mean. Being a dipshit is one thing, but the idea that that spam would go as far as subscribing...

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to me you were mistaken for a spam bot Northeastmonk, that post certainly reads like one specially with a default avatar.

Dany

Banned
I didn't say Ferguson.

It was about everything.

mind_blown.gif

Myggen

That's what I mean. Being a dipshit is one thing, but the idea that that spam would go as far as subscribing...

Again, if that's the post he was banned for I'm assuming it was a mistake, and that they didn't notice that he was a Premium subscriber (the linked archived post doesn't have a subscriber tag). I've offered to PM the mods on the site for him to clear up what happened, so we'll see.

MaxiLive

Seems like an odd way to get banned.

Seems like you are being hella defensive and uptight about it though. Just message Rorie and see where it goes from there :D

Zaph

Thanks everyone. It really means *A LOT* seriously. I was working on how I typed because some people here thought my posts were crazy.

Not gonna lie, your posts still sound a little crazy.

Maybe get in some practise on a less public platform? That way moderation won't get in the way of your groove.

Had you made a topic on GAF with that OP, it would have almost definitely been locked too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Seems like an odd way to get banned.

Seems like you are being hella defensive and uptight about it though. Just message Rorie and see where it goes from there :D

I wasn't expecting a ban. I wake up in a pretty good mood and I see I got banned for trying to be positive.

Not gonna lie, your posts still sound a little crazy.

Maybe get in some practise on a less public platform? That way moderation won't get in the way of your groove.

Had made a topic on GAF with that OP, it would have almost definitely been locked too.

I should just make my own blog on one of those free websites.

I can't even send e-mail on the site because I'm banned.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The fuck did I just read?

Then use your own email client? You're stirring a pot of nothing here man.

Email support@giantbomb.com if you can't use the messaging system.

Thank you I just did. I just felt a little upset. It's discouraging. I can go outside, but when I come back in it's a whole other story.

Thanks for hearing my rant. It's personal to me because I'm not who my account status says once I'm banned. That goes with GAF too. I remember getting banned here twice and it's just a crazy feeling. I felt like unsubscribing to their podcast because it feels like you're now the outcast.

Volotaire

A slight tangent, and unrelated to the poster's problems above, but I only use my subscription for only the consumption of premium videos. Also, I remember Fatman being an annoying but fun fight when I faced him. Drew was lucky he didn't get more obscure bomb locations. He was quicker to employ the claymore trick than me, and I never knew you could CQC Fatman to knock him down.

Patryn

You may want to express in your email to Rorie how English is not your native language (if it isn't, which I'm assuming here) because that easily explains how disjointed that post sounds.

I'd also suggest keeping the e-mail short and to the point so that it's easier to understand.

Chuck

Still without luck
So what the hell is the problem Drew is having with the triggers in MGS? Is their controller or the game broken? Or Drew?

PS2 had digital triggers so it seems like the PS3 version doesn't allow that quick switch unless the button goes down and up very quickly.

Mikǝ

Neo Member
Thank you I just did. I just felt a little upset. It's discouraging. I can go outside, but when I come back in it's a whole other story.

Thanks for hearing my rant. It's personal to me because I'm not who my account status says once I'm banned. That goes with GAF too. I remember getting banned here twice and it's just a crazy feeling. I felt like unsubscribing to their podcast because it feels like you're now the outcast.

It says this right in the pinned rules thread on Giant Bomb:

...using the following link: PM Mods Or you can email the mods at giantbombmods@gmail.com if you can't use the PM system.

Did you even email anyone to ask about your account, or just resorted straight to tweeting Jeff and threatening to cancel your account? This seems like nothing more than a case of a moderator mistaking you for a spambot, which after reading your blog, I'm not surprised at all.

kershner

Banned

You were probably just mistaken as a spam bot but never forget that you don't technically have free speech when posting on a privately-run website. You have the free-speech allowed by the owners.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mikǝ;140352784 said:
It says this right in the pinned rules thread on Giant Bomb:

...using the following link: PM Mods Or you can email the mods at giantbombmods@gmail.com if you can't use the PM system.

Did you even email anyone to ask about your account, or just resorted straight to tweeting Jeff and threatening to cancel your account? This seems like nothing more than a case of a moderator mistaking you for a spambot, which after reading your blog, I'm not surprised at all.

I got upset. It feels like a lock on a door. Shove me in the room and place the lock on the door. No more talking about games with other people. I have taken appropriate actions to try and get answers.

Mikǝ

Neo Member
I got upset. It feels like a lock on a door. Shove me in the room and place the lock on the door. No more talking about games with other people. I have taken appropriate actions to try and get answers.

Well, try to take it a little easy today. I'm sure it'll get fixed soon, try not to take things so personally. I'm sure those guys deal with hundreds of spam bots every day and sometimes innocent people get caught in the net, but its nothing that you should let ruin your day. Rorie and most of the mods are pretty good people, you know. You should give them a chance to help you.

Don't feel bad. A while ago they were playing Jewel Quest and the title sequence shows the letters in order one at a time. Jeff said 'JEW!' I repeated the same thing in chat and Matt Kessler banned me for it.

Does sound like a false positive in your case, but I will say full freedom of speech does not exist on any forum and that includes GAF (it's even written into the terms!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom