• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

It's weird that jeff loves the movement in CODAW so much given that, even with all of the changes they made to the gameplay, Titanfall moves so damn fluidly compared to it. If titanfall had better maps and as much content out of the gate that CODAW has i don't think it's even a fair comparison.

And this is coming from someone who has enjoyed both games but found Titanfall to be lacking in features.

Also, $40 might be budget priced for nintendo but pretty damn pricey for normal human beings. They should've priced it like they did with New Luigi Bros.

Jeff's stated his problems with Titanfall are the titans. If they got rid of the titans and just kept the on-foot combat, he would have liked it a lot better.

I thought Captain Toad was just a nickname for the Red Toad after Mario Galaxy.

Nah, Captain Toad and "the red Toad" (presumably you mean the Toad from SMB2, SM3DW and the various sports games here) are fairly distinct characters. The main difference being Captain Toad is a Luigi-tier wuss, whilst "Toad" is a champion sprinter and ain't afraid of nothing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If Brad is going to filibuster anything this year its to keep Destiny out of the top slot in "Most Disappointing."

He's got a pretty solid argument."It isn't fundamentally broken and at time of recording you can actually play everything it offers" puts it ahead of both Driveclub and MCC if they record it soon. Is there a Destiny season pass? If it's still available for purchase that might give it a foot up on AC Unity too.

If Brad is going to filibuster anything this year its to keep Destiny out of the top slot in "Most Disappointing."

I'd say the only thing that might spare Destiny taking it all is the recent rash of broken games at launch, but of those only MCC was something people were actually looking forward to.

So it will be bungie vs the master chief for most disappointing. I kinda can't wait for halo/bungie fans to rip GB a new one for whatever choice they make.

I think the broken games will be candidates for "Best (Worse?) Apology" if they do that category again. But I just think "Biggest Disappointment" is between Destiny and Watch_Dogs. I personally give it to Watch_Dogs because I think that game is just garbage, but it'll be an interesting discussion.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Captain Toad plunges into the purple nothingness

"Too bad!"

Patryn

I think the broken games will be candidates for "Best (Worse?) Apology" if they do that category again. But I just think "Biggest Disappointment" is between Destiny and Watch_Dogs. I personally give it to Watch_Dogs because I think that game is just garbage, but it'll be an interesting discussion.

No, it's not.

It's Destiny. They've literally said at least 3 times flat out that Destiny has it in the bag.

Destiny does a handful of things really well. Watch_Dogs did a whole crapload of things, but really half-assed.

Only crazy people bought into Watch_Dogs hype though.

Destiny essentially getting rid of mat farming is going to bring me back to playing it again.

wait what

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
i thought Watch Dogs was pretty good tbh. the story sucked but i found the stealth and combat to be really satisfying.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Destiny does a handful of things really well. Watch_Dogs did a whole crapload of things, but really half-assed.

The exact same could be said about Destiny. Hell, there's even less excuse with Destiny because people actually played and got bored with it during the beta and then Bungie confirmed that the game would be short on content and areas all before release.

Worst trend has to be the degree and frequency of shipped broken games we've seen. Gamergate was/is terrible, but that was a small, vocal, terrible section of asshats who made life a living hell for a small, vocal, decent group of folks who didn't deserve that bullshit.

the trend of shipping broken $60 AAA experiences was not a new one to 2014 (hellllllllooooo BF4 and NBA Live 2014) but it's now crossed over from just one publisher doing it consistently to several publishers doing it and now includes first parties, too. If the trend continues, the level of damage it will do to the already anemic amount of big budget full priced games will be dreadful, with the general public either holding off on day one purchases to wait for patches or just simply no longer as willing to buy major console releases because they've been turned off to the idea from having a series of bad launches to deal with.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
gamespot article said:
Toads are a genderless race that take on gendered characteristics

So the toads of mushroom kingdom are kind of like the natives of gethen from the left hand of darkness.

wait what

Sure you've tracked down by now, but, latest patch puts planet mats in stores in the Tower. Can buy with marks. 10 marks for 20 helium, for example.

I say this with no sense of jealousy or anything, but I think Jeff and Dan should be disqualified from discussions on "does this game run well on PC?"

If ANY game doesn't run well on either of their PCs, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

like, great, I'm sure your Ferrari has no problem getting up to the speed limit. some of us drive cars that are literally falling apart.

Sure you've tracked down by now, but, latest patch puts planet mats in stores in the Tower. Can buy with marks. 10 marks for 20 helium, for example.

I did. but I never had an issue with planet mats. I thought it was kind of fun doing chest runs for 15-30 minutes every once in a while. I thought maybe you could buy ascendant mats now or something. all my exotics are maxed, and I'm bored to death of trying to get ascendant materials.

popo

So with Toad getting 3 Stars and Smash getting 4 stars (from Dan, zero stars from everyone else). Is MK8 the token Nintendo game that makes the Top Ten this year? Pikmin wasn't this year was it?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Unity does a whole crapload of things, but really half-assed and is incredibly buggy though.
Don't forget the MCC. I could see it winning cause it was a known quantity. How could they fuck up Halo? Right?

So with Toad getting 3 Stars and Smash getting 4 stars (from Dan, zero stars from everyone else). Is MK8 the token Nintendo game that makes the Top Ten this year? Pikmin wasn't this year was it?

if you count bayo2, it's either Bayo2 or Tropical Freeze, and i'm going with Bayo2 myself.

popo

I say this with no sense of jealousy or anything, but I think Jeff and Dan should be disqualified from discussions on "does this game run well on PC?"

If ANY game doesn't run well on either of their PCs, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

like, great, I'm sure your Ferrari has no problem getting up to the speed limit. some of us drive cars that are literally falling apart.

He said that Unity still ran like crap on his 980. Plenty of PC gamers spend a fortune on their rigs but sometimes power can't make up for bad code.

My PC is an old banger at this stage. I looked at the parts I would need to bring it up to a decent spec and bought a PS4 instead. The console was less than the price of the gfx card I was looking at.

I do agree that - "get it on PC" is going to wear thin for the next 9 years though (PS4 10 year life span baby).

if you count bayo2, it's either Bayo2 or Tropical Freeze, and i'm going with Bayo2 myself.

I don't count Bayo - that s Top 3 I would say - but I think TF or MK8, not both.

Xater

I'm on team "don't factor value into a critical appraisal", but Giant Bomb ain't exactly EDGE with its approach to reviews, so I dig it. Toad does seem way overpriced.

Nah if I perceive something as a bad value I will bring it up in a review as well. Always thought that Captain Toad should be a cheaper game, but it worries me that even at 40 bucks he still has an issue with it. Still gonna play it but I hope it will work out for me.

daydream

Banned
Anything interesting out of Patrick's Coffee video?

The new Bombcast thread might be my favourite so far, by the way. Theme's pretty obscure but Bombers will feel right at home.

I find it ludicrous that people are saying reviews should consider price.

that is why reviews of anything exist.

you're ludicrous

I'm going to buy Captain Toad just so I can kill that annoying fucker and bring some misery to his disgustingly happy life in as many ways as possible.

All I want from the rest of this year is to see this again in a Giant Bombcast thread

RcmA8.png

You and me both brother.

Patryn

With Alex and Dan there, plus Patrick, I predict both Bayo 2 and Mario Kart 8 make the top 10.

I still think Bayo 2 may actually be a dark horse candidate for the whole shebang.

I'd also like to know if it's worth watching.

I listened to it as a podcast, and it's fine. Kinda just general talk about himself, his doings, and a few questions he answers from his tumblr.

With Alex and Dan there, plus Patrick, I predict both Bayo 2 and Mario Kart 8 make the top 10.

I still think Bayo 2 may actually be a dark horse candidate for the whole shebang.

Bayo lives or dies depending on what brad feels about it. Jeff has shown that he'll go with the flow in regards to if others reach a consensus, so Brad is probably going to play kingmaker again. And given that afaik he's played mordor but not invested much time with bayo2, i'm going to go with Mordor winning it.

Yeah that's what I thought... They use the Pacman music and gameplay in Captain Toad...

they've been bros with namco for years, including letting them develop both a starfox game and the most recent smash title. It's nothing new for them to have their characters in each other games, like Tekken Tag WiiU for example

popo

Nah if I perceive something as a bad value I will bring it up in a review as well. Always thought that Captain Toad should be a cheaper game, but it worries me that even at 40 bucks he still has an issue with it. Still gonna play it but I hope it will work out for me.

A lot of reviews take price in to account even if they don't mention it specifically. They talk about how long a game is which is essentially a statement of value.

Reviews of former 99c mobile games selling for $10 on steam would be useless without reference to the price.

People keep saying this. I don't see Bayo as a Nintendo game. They might have published and funded but I think the crew see it as a Platinum game first and foremost.

Also, it isn't going to win but it will be up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom