• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa GBEAST already hiring? Man hope they really do a separate bombcast when the new addition comes in, I really want my regular doses of Vinny

I really hope its Cara, but like stated above, with Visas and such, it will probably not happen :(

FluxWaveZ

I think I'm in the same boat as Jeff. P4 (Golden for me) is one of my favorite games of all time yet I can't get into any of the previous entries in the series or any of the P4 spin offs. Bums me out.

I haven't listened to the QL, but Jeff reviewed and enjoyed both Persona 1 and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. He reviewed and enjoyed Persona 4 Arena, as well. It's probable he would have enjoyed Persona 3 just as he does Persona 4 had he played it when it came out.

It's great that they are hiring but it'S kinda weird they are going for another news editor. I think that Patrick is already covering that stuff enough. Especially for a site that was never centered around news.

i'm pretty sure every job there that isn't video producer is considered a senior editor?

edit: ah. I didn't read the actual description because I'm not signing up for LinkedIn. yeah, interesting, that.

Megasoum

Banned
Also is the Japanese thing new for those offerings? It sound like a very specific thing... Almost as if they already have someone in mind and created the opening specifically for that person.

Jintor

Man one of the thing I loved most about the Endurance Run was that Jeff and Vinny would frequently riff on something and then hit A and the game would also riff on that exact same thing that they were just joking about, or at least comment on it. I'm glad that is in full display here in PQ

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Clearly trying to steal Brad away from sf with that japanese requirement.

daydream

Banned
Also is the Japanese thing new for those offerings? It sound like a very specific thing... Almost as if they already have someone in mind and created the opening specifically for that person.

Yeah, that's.. interesting. I mean, Japanese is definitely super helpful for Japanese PR, statements/interviews of Nintendo employees, what have you, but these are also not the things GB usually reports on.

Now I want to find out if Cara speaks Japanese.

Bacon

The description says you need to have experience podcasting. Two giantbomb podcasts in a week!(sorry scoops and alex) I don't know if I can handle it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that's.. interesting. I mean, Japanese is definitely super helpful for Japanese PR, statements/interviews of Nintendo employees, what have you, but these are also not the things GB usually reports on.

Isn't she doing most of her reporting stuff in japan now?

Also her twitter handle is cara-chan so obviously she's an expert.

she spent a bunch of time in Japan recently. so, cmon cara-chan, stop messin' around and apply dammit. Alex is a nice duder, but he's too straight-faced to play off of vinny. Cara can bring the humor, along with the smarts, and she's also the perfect fit for an anime editor.

so has there been any vita QL's post vita tv?

The lack of senran kagura QL's is surprising.

they whispered once something about possibly doing a Freedom Wars QL. nothing came of it.

Renpatsu

so has there been any vita QL's post vita tv?

The lack of senran kagura QL's is surprising.
Jason did a Twitch stream where he played it for the first time and subsequently deleted the game afterwards.

Edit: He also played through the beginning tutorial missions of Freedom Wars. I think he wants to get further into the game before giving it a quick look.

Edit Edit: Are there volume settings for PQ? I can barely hear the VO over the BGM.

A visa isn't an insurmountable hurdle, it's just a lot of paperwork. I work with a guy who's Australian and here in the USA on a work visa, I know it can be painful, but, it shouldn't disqualify her. Especially if you argue all this international work/travel/knowledge might not necessarily be a USA citizen. Which, note, isn't a requirement.

hamchan

Yeah wouldn't be surprised if this is another situation where they've already chosen someone but just putting out this hiring thing for appearances sake.

The exchanges with Rei seem really awkward. I dunno, maybe that's intentional. Some of the lines with Nanako in the beginning too.

Regardless, game looks great. It's on my xmas list, looking forward to it.

Jokab

How long was it from the positions in SF being officially announced until Dan & Jason were hired? So that I can plan my time.

daydream

Banned
The exchanges with Rei seem really awkward. I dunno, maybe that's intentional. Some of the lines with Nanako in the beginning too.

Regardless, game looks great. It's on my xmas list, looking forward to it.

I'm not really feeling Rei (or her watch dog) as a character, either. Apparently her VA is Ashly Burch, though, I like her at least.

How long was it from the positions in SF being officially announced until Dan & Jason were hired? So that I can plan my time.

Listing went up Jan 10 (found DO'D's tweet announcing it). Dan and Jason joined in July.

As I said, w/ this over the holidays, I'd expect a similar timeframe, next Spring for a new person at the very, very earliest, more likely May/June. IMO.

I wonder if they're staffing up more in New York because they're going to lose someone soon.

This was my thought as well. Wouldn't be shocked if Patrick is leaving, especially since they're specifically looking for a news editor. Honestly could be mutually beneficial for him and the site, he wouldn't have to deal with the litany of abuse he's taken over the years anymore, and GB gets a full three-person operation up and running in one place.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think it's interesting that they are looking for a news guy/gal. Patrick was also hired as "the news guy" IIRC.

This was my thought as well. Wouldn't be shocked if Patrick is leaving, especially since they're specifically looking for a news editor. Honestly could be mutually beneficial for him and the site, he wouldn't have to deal with the litany of abuse he's taken over the years anymore, and GB gets a full three-person operation up and running in one place.

I hope it's not the case but that was my thought as well. Plus I imagine it's not easy and enjoyable working alone the whole time.

Bacon

Yeah unfortunately Patrick feels like the odd one out at giantbomb after New York hires a new guy/gal. Although he is moving into a new studio so its hard to say how things will go for him and the site moving forward.

daydream

Banned
Persona Q has an automap function in the options menu. Too bad they didn't get to the point where they explain this, lol.

I think the automap function only fills in the floor tiles. I mean, I have it turned on, of course, but you still have to take care of the rest. It wouldn't change the opinion of someone who doesn't like the cartography aspect.

bonercop

I think the automap function only fills in the floor tiles. I mean, I have it turned on, of course, but you still have to take care of the rest. It wouldn't change the opinion of someone who doesn't like the cartography aspect.

Nah, that's on by default in Persona Q. The automap function also fills in the walls and doors.

Antiwhippy

Scoops can't speak Japanese though.

Unless he's been hiding something from me.

I mean, the role specifically talks about knowing Japanese and managing freelancers. Which aren't Patrick's duties from what I know

Antiwhippy

If anything the freelancers bit makes it sounds like they're expanding the news section. Which is kind of odd considering the site's audience.

CrazyDude

They also left Game informer sometime in May. Be on the look out for people in gaming journalism who has or will leave jobs.

Yeah unfortunately Patrick feels like the odd one out at giantbomb after New York hires a new guy/gal. Although he is moving into a new studio so its hard to say how things will go for him and the site moving forward.

damn I never thought about the possibility of Patrick leaving :(

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
damn I never thought about the possibility of Patrick leaving :(

I wonder if he's considering going the independent/patreon route like jim sterling, having seen how successful that's been (so far).

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think Patrick has the personality to draw in enough supporters to go the independent route.

I wouldn't be shocked if he took a job in the industry itself if he was leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom