• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Senior News Editor...is an interesting job title for GB.
A) Scoops got the name for a reason
B) News is like the least important thing GB does

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess. I just think the point is moot when no other company was really giving it a chance to exist in the first place.

I wonder what his opinion of Scalebound will be.

Somehow I'm guessing it won't be "It looks pretty good... for an Xbox One game but it's a shame it's not available to a wider audience""

Somehow I'm guessing it won't be "It looks pretty good... for an Xbox One game but it's a shame it's not available to a wider audience""

to be fair, it's probably more that he would like to see a Bayonetta game developed on tech that isn't nearing a decade old. It's less FUCK NINTENDO and more I'd Like to See What This Would Look Like On Better Tech.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said, but more how he said it.

Listening to the podcast finally, I can't believe Brad actually put out that fucking line of "It would be good if Bayo 2 was out to a wider audience." I'm really glad the rest of the crew jumped on that to point out that it was solely because of Nintendo that the game exists.

I think I just dislike Brad. His humor and timing is often really perfect, but he just rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time.

Eh his point is not wrong though.

Its a catch 22 especially since the game is actually damn good and not something you can promptly sweep under the rug due to quality.

Oh cool, a new hire incoming! It's going to be a shitstorm no matter what. If it's a guy (white or not) I can only imagine the stuff that will get spewed, if it's a woman then you'll get a lot of people saying that she was only hired due to her gender regardless of qualification, and in either scenario you're going to have people getting mad on twitter that they didn't get hired. I think that anyone can work well with Vinny though so any hire is going to be a good hire.

They should get Karen. Karen is the best.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Senior News Editor...is an interesting job title for GB.
A) Scoops got the name for a reason
B) News is like the least important thing GB does

Patrick doesn't really write a lot of news stories though, at least not compared to most other sites. Maybe that's what they are looking for.

Also I just realised that I don't really care who they hire, I just want a podcast with Vinny again.

Megasoum

Banned
So anybody knows what happened with the kid that everybody was thinking got the job last time? Before we knew it was Dan and Jason?

As for the new hire stuff, cool to see gb getting another and i would hope for Cara as well since she can be pretty out there with her stuff and that could be a nice fit for GB.

But that visa snafu though

Yo, the what now?

GBEast had a live stream of Cara and Tina chilling with the crew playing some Mario Kart and then some discussion about Hentai popped up (started by Cara iirc)

Jokab

Listening to the podcast finally, I can't believe Brad actually put out that fucking line of "It would be good if Bayo 2 was out to a wider audience." I'm really glad the rest of the crew jumped on that to point out that it was solely because of Nintendo that the game exists.

I think I just dislike Brad. His humor and timing is often really perfect, but he just rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time.

I agree with him. While you're right that it wouldn't exist without Nintendo, he's wishing that it somehow would be available on more consoles because it's that good. It's a dream scenario that didn't happen, but one can wish it would have.

so1337

Yo, the what now?

iba1pdWyqVAOsu.gif

Wow the voice audio in Persona Q sounds like garbage.
What on earth happened?
Maybe a download version issue or a glitch? I'm seeing comments on the GB page of multiple people saying their physical copies don't sound like that at all.

fake edit: Yeah I just popped on YouTube and the first video I found of the start of the game sounds nothing like that. Maybe a little compressed but not totally clipped like in the QL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2qe2TQ1fTU

dan2026

the music sounds good because it's just loops. you can only fit so much voice data on a damn 3ds cart. i.e., compressed to heellllll

Wow that sucks. Seems like 3ds wasn't a great choice for this game.

Maybe a download version issue or a glitch? I'm seeing comments on the GB page of multiple people saying their physical copies don't sound like that at all.

fake edit: Yeah I just popped on YouTube and the first video I found of the start of the game sounds nothing like that. Maybe a little compressed but not totally clipped like in he QL.

Wow weird. What is going on?

Now Jeff confirms he didn't do much in that trending gamer thing but someone else did LOLOLOLOL.

good on that person and also good on Jeff for being a good sport about it. Now he needs to win :p

Curufinwe

The Bayonetta 2 discussion on the bombcast was amazing for me. They basically said everything I felt about the game, except for my complaint about Platinum hiding content a little too well.

As far as I know there is less African-American representation at gaming websites than woman representation. I can name like ten plus woman game writers but can only think of Evan at Kotaku as far as black games writers go. N'Gai was killing it when he was doing his thing but he went into consulting.

If Tina recently got promoted then I guess we can scratch her off the list.

As for the job title? Thinking realistically, it's just a name - Scoops mostly just writes features and posts interviews. Sure, he posts the news too, but that's just filler content. No-one wants to hire a "news guy", they're just distinguishing between someone who writes reviews, someone who works in control rooms/edit suites and someone who writes "other" articles.

Cara would fit there, of course.

As far as I know there is less African-American representation at gaming websites than woman representation. I can name like ten plus woman game writers but can only think of Evan at Kotaku. N'Gai was killing it when he was doing his thing but he went into consulting.
That smh was aimed at your reasoning (even though it was a joke I assume).

What a cynical time we live in.

demidar

If Tina recently got promoted then I guess we can scratch her off the list.

As for the job title? Thinking realistically, it's just a name - Scoops mostly just writes features and posts interviews. Sure, he posts the news too, but that's just filler content. No-one wants to hire a "news guy", they're just distinguishing between someone who writes reviews, someone who works in control rooms/edit suites and someone who writes "other" articles.

Cara would fit there, of course.

I agree, full time news editor wouldn't cut it. They'd need to be a full time news editor plus something else... like Endurance Run pilot/co-pilot.

I agree, full time news editor wouldn't cut it. They'd need to be a full time news editor plus something else... like Endurance Run pilot/co-pilot.

The full job description mentions Quick Looks duty under key responsibilities, of course!

Hell, here's the full thing:

Job Description

The Senior News Editor will bolster Giant Bomb's day-to-day news coverage and will be responsible for assigning work both internally and externally, managing freelancers and budgets, peer-editing that work to meet our standards, and entering external contributions into our content management system. The Senior News Editor will also be expected to provide day-to-day coverage of the gaming industry.

The news department will be tasked with making and breaking stories, as well as reporting on the latest happenings around the games industry. Reports will be conveyed by text, via audio podcast, and on video, so experience in all of these areas is a must. Our ideal candidate should be capable of self-producing a diverse range of content both in the field and at home.

Beyond covering the daily news cycle, the editor will have the opportunity to meet and interview developers and executives throughout the game industry, as well as cover some of the biggest events in the gaming world, including the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Any hire would also be expected to travel on occasion to participate in a variety of external events.

Additional editorial work, such as appearances in Quick Looks and writing reviews, would also be a part of this role. A wide base of gaming knowledge from the biggest of the big budget releases to small, art-house-style projects is expected. As this position is on the New York team, the ability to assist our existing New York crew with occasional production/control room help is also expected.

A thorough knowledge of and appreciation for video games, previous journalism education/experience, and a college degree are all desired qualities. We also rely largely on peer-editing, so an ability to accept and give constructive criticism is expected. Japanese language skills are a plus, but not a requirement.

Required Qualifications

5+ years of experience in games journalism
Established track record of presenting video, news, and features content on video games
Experience with video production/distribution
High standards of editorial excellence, and a proven ability to lead a team that can deliver it
Leader with history of success working across organizational boundaries
Extensive contacts in games industry
On-camera and/or video programming experience
Podcast or other audio programming experience
Passion for video games
Recognized expert in gaming media
Substantial network of writers and editors
Must successfully pass a background check
In addition, CBS will be guided by applicable federal, state and local laws when considering for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.

Preferred Qualifications

Knowledge of the Japanese language (written and spoken)

Yeah, Evan Narcisse would be perfect for this. But I don't know, the dude seems pretty tight with Totilo. Don't know if he'd want to leave Kotaku. Plus he's a comic book guy, GB desperately needs a comic book guy.

demidar

The full job description mentions Quick Looks duty under key responsibilities, of course!

Hell, here's the full thing:

It does seem very general. The thing is, is there enough news to go around? The role a staff member takes seems very ill-defined, keeping with its startup roots. Everyone can do a bit of everything (except for specialized roles like video production). I wouldn't mind if the new hire was just an all-rounder.

Myggen

It does seem very general. The thing is, is there enough news to go around? The role a staff member takes seems very ill-defined, keeping with its startup roots. Everyone can do a bit of everything (except for specialized roles like video production). I wouldn't mind if the new hire was just an all-rounder.

It's just a title, you can clearly see that he/she is supposed to be an all-rounder from the description: The person's main responsibility is as a news editor, but he/she's also gonna be in QLs, other videos, the podcast with at least Alex and Vinny etc. Like everything else GB, GBEast is gonna be video only and they'll need a third hand for that.

frostyxc

So what I'm gathering from this inane wanking that happened overnight is that you guys are more concerned about the race/gender of a potential hire over experience/work ability? That sounds kind of discriminatory to me.

As for game of the year, why not focus on what you believe should be game of the year, instead of projecting on to people you don't know? Don't get me wrong, it's fun to see the lists and watch the videos, but getting upset/lathered-up over something that hasn't happened yet and doesn't personally matter to you seems like wasted energy. I mean, not as much wasted energy as hoping for a race/gender-based hire over someone that will just fit (which could check either box without being the focus), but breathe a little and focus on what matters.

Space Quest matters. Game of the year for 28 years in a row, baby! The impossible has been achieved! I have also been declared the king of the comet (you know which one!), but that's a story for another time.

Okay, carry on with the wanking. I've elevated the conversation... and sometimes that's enough. Where's my outro music?

Somewhere, I imagine pitching the new hire as a position other than whatever Alex's job title is makes it easier for the suits to agree to fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom