• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

So what I'm gathering from this inane wanking that happened overnight is that you guys are more concerned about the race/gender of a potential hire over experience/work ability? That sounds kind of discriminatory to me.

What are you talking about?

santeesioux

Whoa, on the Bombcast Greg mentioned my podunk town where his grandparents live and the exact store i specifically shop at, weird.

Also, Drew with that Big R mention.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What are you talking about?

His godawful reading comprehension skills, it seems.

Pretty sure his post was a commentary/cry for help on the deficiencies in education these days.

Frostyxc probably thought he was infamous for his stream-of-consciousness 2000-word long humourous rants about nothing in this thread so everyone would be able to point that out as sarcasm.

Everything else seemed sincere enough. Space Quest fans are crazy about Space Quest, so the rest was believable.

Rapstah

Frostyxc probably thought he was infamous for his stream-of-consciousness 2000-word long humourous rants about nothing in this thread so everyone would be able to point that out as sarcasm.

No not Zach... The unknown guy (I think from Texas? Not sure). The guy said something about a new job on twitter and people jumped on that.

Maybe you're thinking of Tyler Barber? He was on Rebel FM and maybe the sports anomaly podcasts? I know he often would tweet at the guys directly (usually Brad) about games.

I want them to hire a cat. A cat they can really trust with news story. Then like, in Podcasts(Which will be recorded with camera now) Jeff will crack a joke, then the camera will pan down to the cat, and everyone will laugh. It'll be funny.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Granted I haven't played persona q or watched the whole ql, but why is it compared with the etrian games? I played that strange journey game and it has a similar first person perspective and exploration/map-filling-in mechanic.

Where's my outro music?

Right here

demidar

It's just a title, you can clearly see that he/she is supposed to be an all-rounder from the description: The person's main responsibility is as a news editor, but he/she's also gonna be in QLs, other videos, the podcast with at least Alex and Vinny etc. Like everything else GB, GBEast is gonna be video only and they'll need a third hand for that.

Finally, Vinny gets on a podcast. Hadn't thought of that.

Somewhere, I imagine pitching the new hire as a position other than whatever Alex's job title is makes it easier for the suits to agree to fund.

Gotta pull the wool over Corporate's eyes. I can get with that.

Myggen

Maybe you're thinking of Tyler Barber? He was on Rebel FM and maybe the sports anomaly podcasts? I know he often would tweet at the guys directly (usually Brad) about games.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Jared Rosen, the dude who helps run the Youtube channel where people review games while eating hot pepper. Gary Whitta did that once. Jared Rosen works for Riot Games now according to his Twitter.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Jared Rosen, the dude who helps run the Youtube channel where people review games while eating hot pepper. Gary Whitta did that once. Jared Rosen works for Riot Games now according to his Twitter.

Ah yeah that's it!

Sometimes I wonder if Jeff apathy is what drive him out of some games. The Persona Q QL was godly but Jeff seemed inmediatly bummed out for stuff that seemed to be actually capture equipment related (crompressed voices) or take a quick search to calm down (there is automap ).

FluxWaveZ

Granted I haven't played persona q or watched the whole ql, but why is it compared with the etrian games? I played that strange journey game and it has a similar first person perspective and exploration/map-filling-in mechanic.

It's explicitly designed to be a mix of Persona and Etrian Odyssey, with P Studio (aka Persona Team) even working in conjunction with the EO team to make it happen. It's called "Persona Q" because the EO games in Japan are called: "Sekaiju no Meikyuu" -> "Meikyuu" -> "MeiQ"

From the map drawing, to its aesthetic, to its styles of dungeons, to its battle system (a mix of Persona and EO), to F.O.E.s... it's all actually, fully consciously designed to be "Persona x Etrian Odyssey."

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's explicitly designed to be a mix of Persona and Etrian Odyssey, with P Studio (aka Persona Team) even working in conjunction with the EO team to make it happen. It's called "Persona Q" because the EO games in Japan are called: "Sekaiju no Meikyuu" -> "Meikyuu" -> "MeiQ"

From the map drawing, to its aesthetic, to its styles of dungeons, to its battle system (a mix of Persona and EO), to F.O.E.s... it's all actually, fully consciously designed to be "Persona x Etrian Odyssey."

Ah I see. I didn't realise there was that direct developer connection too (in addition to the other stuff you mentioned). Thanks.

Going by the different drivers during the Mixlr streams I'm going to say Alex > Jeff with their taste in rap music during the stream. I could do without the metal from time to time though.

Persona Q seems like a non-brainer for Persona fans. Turn on Auto-Map and you've got another entry in both Persona 3 and 4. Can't wait to pick it up.

i was wondering why you guys are so hyped for that Persona Q quick look, but then remembered that it has both P4 and P3 folks in it and not just P3.

I get it now.

daydream

Banned
Wow the voice audio in Persona Q sounds like garbage.
What on earth happened?

Maybe a download version issue or a glitch? I'm seeing comments on the GB page of multiple people saying their physical copies don't sound like that at all.

fake edit: Yeah I just popped on YouTube and the first video I found of the start of the game sounds nothing like that. Maybe a little compressed but not totally clipped like in the QL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2qe2TQ1fTU

Uhh, the voices in the QL sound closer to the real experience than the voices in that YT video.

Edit: I guess I should specify that I have the physical release.

Zabant

The latest vinny-jeff look is so good, yet infuriating at the same time.

It's like 'Look at how good GB could be!'

I know, they're are adults and it's selfish for me to ask them to tailor their lives around making the sort of videos I wanna see.

But maaaaan... instant runner for best quick look of the year

Worst trend: GamerGate? Or are they better off not mentioning that nonsense?

I dunno, I keep seeing that mentioned but I don't think it really fits. That seems more tied to the 'culture' side rather than games itself. Stuff like broken games releasing, HD collections and season passes impact the games we play, which is what this hobby is centered around. Something like gamergate, while still a big deal, didn't impact the video games themselves all that much, which is what that category seems to be centered on. So while that was something that happened this year in the video games industry/culture, it's not a video game trend imo.

daydream

Banned
I dunno, I keep seeing that mentioned but I don't think it really fits. That seems more tied to the 'culture' side rather than games itself. Stuff like broken games releasing, HD collections and season passes impact the games we play, which is what this hobby is centered around. Something like gamergate, while still a big deal, didn't impact the video games themselves all that much, which is what that category seems to be centered on. So while that was something that happened this year in the video games industry/culture, it's not a video game trend imo.

Have to agree with this. I don't think GG fits the category. 'Broken games' wins by a long fucking shot.

Man, Kanji's new voice sucks. And Yosuke doesn't even sound anything like the original voice.

Matthew Mercer doesn't go awkward enough. Kanji's voice is way broken-voice teenage wannabe-tough-guy. Mercer's too soft with him. Just sounds like he's doing his Chrom voice.

I didn't know Yosuke changed his voice too... I knew Chie and Teddie changed for P4G, then Kanji and Naoto for Arena, and I thought that was it.

bonercop

Maybe a download version issue or a glitch? I'm seeing comments on the GB page of multiple people saying their physical copies don't sound like that at all.

fake edit: Yeah I just popped on YouTube and the first video I found of the start of the game sounds nothing like that. Maybe a little compressed but not totally clipped like in the QL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2qe2TQ1fTU

I have the download version, and it sounds all crappy and tinny on my end too. That might be it.

I didn't know Yosuke changed his voice too... I knew Chie and Teddie changed for P4G, then Kanji and Naoto for Arena, and I thought that was it.

He didn't. It's still Yuri Lowenthall. He's just making yosuke sound more like a buttmonkey with every sequel, whcih is why it sounds off from his standard anime voice. I guess he's taking the criticisms about his lack of range to heart!

Worst trend: GamerGate? Or are they better off not mentioning that nonsense?

we've been through this: it's going to be broken AAA $60 launches from major publishers, including but not limited to first parties. Gamersgate, while terrible, is technically not a trend, either, so it doesn't even qualify.

He didn't. It's still Yuri Lowenthall. He's just making yosuke sound more like a buttmonkey with every sequel, whcih is why it sounds off from his standard anime voice. I guess he's taking the criticisms about his lack of range to heart!

Ugh, really? Jesus, it's so much worse. Just use your normal voice if you're voicing a character with some actual emotional range.

bonercop

speaking of the new voice actors, New Naoto is a million times better than old Naoto. Her line delivery isn't nearly as clunky.

I only really miss original Teddie and Kanji. And their replacements are pretty good as well, it's just that the originals were that good.especially Teddie.

Ugh, really? Jesus, it's so much worse. Just use your normal voice if you're voicing a character with some actual emotional range.

you gotta admit, though -- the voice he used for yosuke is everywhere. he used to only be able to do like 2 voices, so it makes sense that he'd give more of a personal spin to the Yosuke character when revisiting him after (apparently) learning how to do a wider range of voices.

also yosuke is totes a complete buttmonkey so it kinda fits, I think

so1337

I should play Persona 4.

i0wmvJpYLnzVZ.PNG

daydream

Banned
The reason is obvious, but it doesn't change the end result that it still sounds really bad.

It's downright atrocious during an all-out attack. You can barely hear the characters.

Kanji beating up bad guys with a folding chair is pre-tty alright, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom