• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

VaTEVuB.png

Is there any film Dan watches without a 40?

mcrommert

Banned
Holy shit. I know it's opinion and all, but those are some wrong-ass opinions right there. How on earth anyone can hate Jeff Gerstmann is beyond me. Sure he's cynical, but if I had to deal with fucktards like those in that thread daily I'd be beyond cynical and would have moved in to the homicidal category by now.

Seriously, thank God for GB, if they ever close up shop gaming will be worse for it.

Some people take games way, way too seriously...he is critical and delightfully jaded and some can't handle that because they approach games as something more than a hobby

Bacon

I think people in that thread just didn't understand what giantbomb is and is not. They've never claimed to be "objective" as some of the posters in that thread were going on about. You just gotta know what their tastes are and what your tastes are and then try and go from there.

Plus Jeff plays up a lot of his negativity for entertainment I'm sure.

Patryn

Way I see it, people are entitled to their own opinions. They're not necessarily "wrong" (except when they say Giant Bomb is supposed to be "objective", because fuck no), so whatever.

A person is entitled to feel slighted over Jeff's review of DriveClub, the same way Jeff is allowed to dislike DriveClub.

Personally, I'm not sure why we need to delve deep into trying to understand them.

Chuck

Still without luck
I was about to start reading Sphere...then I heard chris waters is going to be on the podcast.

Now I don't think I'll bother.

Bacon

Even if you don't like Chris (personally I don't mind him), you have three awesome other people to balance him out.

Myggen

waters is navarro without the pessimism.

That doesn't make any sense.

Anyways, the people who dislike Watters mostly dislike him because he comes across as very corporate. You always think that he'll force the word "hashtag" into every sentence. However, I have no problems with him being on a podcast like this.

Wonder if we'll get any content for the rest of the week (not counting UPF).

Another QL or two according to the Bombcast.

I was about to start reading Sphere...then I heard chris waters is going to be on the podcast.

Now I don't think I'll bother.

lolwhat

Bacon

Waters comes across as being very benign to me, which i guess could be an indictment when he is supposed to entertain. I dunno, he just seems like a plain dude, I see nothing to dislike about him.

Anyway, just bought Sphere. Hopefully I finish it before the podcast.

He's a host for a lot of Gamespot stuff and comes off exactly like you would expect a Gamespot host to be if you hated Gamespot until Danny was hired.

I was never familiar with the GameSpot staff. Even after Jeff was fired, I left GameSpot and went to Giant Bomb. Could you elaborate on pre-Danny GameSpot culture ? Were the hosts jerks or something ?

Watters has a very "tv" personality, which makes him really good at doing certain things. However, it also makes him come off as abrasive in a situation where people are more casual/conversational.

Mully

He's a host for a lot of Gamespot stuff and comes off exactly like you would expect a Gamespot host to be if you hated Gamespot until Danny was hired.

He plays the IGN hype man of Gamespot. He does a fine job, but doesn't jibe particularly well with the glibness of GB and new Gamespot.

tchocky

I kinda like how this thread has gone from saying how crazy it is people take things so seriously and hate Jeff to hating Chris Watters.

Mully

I kinda like how this thread has gone from saying how crazy it is people take things so seriously and hate Jeff to hating Chris Watters.

I have no problem with Chris. I honestly don't get the hate for Chris, or Arthur, or anyone. If I don't agree with them, I don't agree with them, but that doesn't mean I won't have a beer with them or hang out with them. GAF in particular takes video games opinions too personally which is why I only frequent this thread because GB doesn't really give a shit about everyone else.

I wonder if or how much editing Brad will do for the deliberation podcasts. Knowing how long they get, that could lead to a lot of extra work. Even this weeks long podcast might have been a chore too?

Thanks Brad for all the extra work :)

Bacon

I wonder if or how much editing Brad will do for the deliberation podcasts. Knowing how long they get that could lead to a lot of extra work. Even this weeks long podcast might have been a chore too?

Brad is gonna edit it in such a way to where Destiny wins Goty, that sneaky bastard.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was never familiar with the GameSpot staff. Even after Jeff was fired, I left GameSpot and went to Giant Bomb. Could you elaborate on pre-Danny GameSpot culture ? Were the hosts jerks or something ?

Just the completely bland, "We are showing you a video game and here is this video game wasn't that a video game what did you think of video game?" may as well be an employee of the publisher sort of presentation that makes all major gamesites terrible. It's probably what he's been told to do so I don't hold anything against him personally, but I don't think I've ever watched a full video he was doing.

man, i know this isn't going to happen, but if we got a vinny hosted and edited podcast before he left it would make this the most special holiday ever

daydream

Banned
I wonder if or how much editing Brad will do for the deliberation podcasts. Knowing how long they get, that could lead to a lot of extra work. Even this weeks long podcast might have been a chore too?

Reminds me: This has been mentioned in the past but I also just wanted to say that Brad's music picks for the ads are consistently fantastic.

Brad is gonna edit it in such a way to where Destiny wins Goty, that sneaky bastard.

Man, I wanted to post the Vinny-edited kinect-less Xbone moment with Patrick but the clip no longer seems to be on YT.
You know what you need to do, Myggen!

Zaph

These office videos with a full house are killing me :(

Come on chris watters is fine.

His blandness and apparent corporate/PR trained on-camera personality made me mildly dislike him.

Hosting the Blizzard stage show and hyping unreleased games confirmed that corporate/PR trained personality and made me actively avoid him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom